Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: The Movie Prequel comics

Ashen Pathfinder

So, with the release of issue #4 the movie prequel series of comics are now complete; with each have a focus on a specific character for the most part (Storm King for #1, Captain Calaeno for #2, Capper for #4, Tempest for #4). Personally I found the series enjoyable, and it even has me hyped for the movie itself.

That said, this bring up a few questions:

1. As always there is a question of canon. While I THINK it's been stated that this is canon to movie, I think some doubts have risen from some in the community.

2. Will the Misfortune Malachite be mentioned in the movie at all; considering what happened to it?

3. What about characters like Chummer, Strife, and Rambler? Will they show up in the film in some form, or are they comic-only?

4. With there being a novel of Tempest's backstory; does it mesh at all with the comic?

Regardless I think the prequel series have been an enjoyable ride, and I'm glad something like this was done.

504224._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

There have been a couple of contradictions with Tempest's novel and comic: While she clashed with Storm King's army, she didn't he didn't find her to later recruit her, but rather she met Grubber again, and he introduced her to SK. Plus, before telling him about stealing the alicorns' magic, she had infiltrated the hippogriff alongside Grubber before. But some of it seem pretty accurate like finding the crashed ship and the Misfortune Malachite in the wreckage, and Storm King crushing it 

From what I know, I don't think Misfortune Malachite will be reintroduced knowing what happen to it.  But i think tempest's past will be a little less "dark" explained in the movie and  her motive will be sightly different from the comic. I always believe the comic itself is a little darker and more for older people than the show itself. So as example with Capper and his past (which is pretty tragic) wouldn't be expressing in that same form as the comic did. Overall the movie might be more kid-friendly compares to the comic. Which I hope not, I would liked the move more if it will express the same vibes as the comics. 

10 hours ago, TBD said:

From what I know, I don't think Misfortune Malachite will be reintroduced knowing what happen to it.  But i think tempest's past will be a little less "dark" explained in the movie and  her motive will be sightly different from the comic. I always believe the comic itself is a little darker and more for older people than the show itself. So as example with Capper and his past (which is pretty tragic) wouldn't be expressing in that same form as the comic did. Overall the movie might be more kid-friendly compares to the comic. Which I hope not, I would liked the move more if it will express the same vibes as the comics. 

Tempest's backstory was hardly touched upon in the comics. A Stormy Road to Canterlot elaborates a lot of it. 3 chapters if I remember well

:huh: . I don't think Capper's story will be told as deeply nor emotionally in the movie not as much as the movie won't go to those levels, but time constrains. I've read that the ponies actually kill some of the Storm King's guys :confused:  

12 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Hide contents

Tempest's backstory was hardly touched upon in the comics. A Stormy Road to Canterlot elaborates a lot of it. 3 chapters if I remember well

:huh: . I don't think Capper's story will be told as deeply nor emotionally in the movie not as much as the movie won't go to those levels, but time constrains. I've read that the ponies actually kill some of the Storm King's guys :confused:  

I know they haven't but I meant the movie might kid-friend-lized" her motive in the movie. and wait what? that's pretty ...violent?

• 3 months later...

I really enjoyed the prequel comic, as well as The Stormy Road to Canterlot.  What's most intriguing is the last comic as it contrasts with the novel as though events play out differently in both, it's clear that Jeremy Whitley and Sadie Chesterfield both received the same outline that their stories were based off of as they're both eerily similar.  For one, they both have the Misfortune Malachite, and both have a very similar sequence of events from when Tempest finds it to when she decides to join the Stormking.  Heck, that stallion she ended up traveling with is fairly reminiscent of a scene earlier in the book when she almost traveled with a group despite being in place of a scene at the same point in the story where she simply stowed away on a carriage.

I actually don't think the comic and novel are truly at odds with one another if we just infer that some combination of the events in both stories happened.  As the first three issues are prequels to that part, they're not invalidated.  Maybe we could take the events of the book as the actual canon as its series of events is considerably less rushed.  Besides, the comic allows for the validity of The Great Princess Caper while The Stormy Road to Canterlot does not, so it's actually those two books that are at odds.  If I had to choose, point goes to The Stormy Road to Canterlot in spite of The Great Princess Caper being a surprisingly decent story in its own right that exceeded my expectations.