Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why would anyone want to be the villain?

heavens-champion

Villains are the heroes of their own stories. No one is villain just because they want to be one.

also the concept of heroes and villains can be quite subjective as it depends on what you want to be achieved and your current position and morals, for example  if  king or country is clashing with another country people of the country one most likely see the warriors of their own country as heroes and people who go against them as villains. but for the other country its the opposite

Edited by ooReiko
  • Brohoof 16

Well, most of us here grew up on movies and television and most of the time, the villains are the most interesting characters of any movie or television show.

Disney has a large variety of villains, who are sometimes considered some of the best in movie history, or comic publishers like marvel and DC have a bunch of interesting villains. Villains just have more charming personas.

• Brohoof 3

To some exceed some may chose to be the villain because it's much more fun that way or they have a much deeper personal reason that led them to head toward the dark road. 

37 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Why would anyone want to be the villain? I ask this because I asked a question on Yahoo Answers about agreeing and disagreeing on no one wanting to be the villain, and most disagreed.

well there are plenty of reasons why one would want to commit agains their own morals or public morals to become so called villain in their own or societys eyes. if you are referring to the storytelling i'd say one of the most common reason is that there is something greater  only seen from larger perspective that they want to be achieved kinda sacrificing themselves or their own morals in the process to be able to achieve it. and with that they may be viewed as villain by people who cant see the larger picture.

• Brohoof 2

35 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Why would anyone want to be the villain? 

2 minutes ago, ooReiko said:

Villains are the heroes of their own stories. No one is villain just because they want to be one.

A good answer, Reiko, but let's take this and expand upon it.

Nobody ever wants to be a villain. That's like saying someone would just wake up one morning and say, "Oh, boy! I feel like being a dastardly prick today! I shall kick this puppy and and eat this baby, and the world will bow before me!" (That is, unless you happen to be a character or have a personality thinner than a piece of paper.)

There are generally two reasons people take up the role as villains, so to speak. The first one is rather boring from a literary standpoint, slightly stereotypical, and tends to be more of a hand wave in literature than an actual reason: the character in question is insane and is incapable of making logical decisions. While you can do great things with an insane character played properly, it tends to be used by itself as justification rather than as a device. In real life, however, insanity is in fact a major reason why things get as bad as they do- people who are incapable of using reason getting into a position where they can do whatever they want.

The second reason is much, much more interesting, in that it is logical, reasonable choices made by completely sane, intelligent people, willing to go to extremes to get their jobs done.

First off, please remember that nobody ever chooses the worst option. People make different choices based on information they have, or a lack thereof. If asked to kick a puppy and eat a baby, to use the example above, no one both sane and in real life would ever do so- it's just unreasonable!

Well, Edge McFaceLord III, Esq. just chose to eat the baby and kick the puppy. Why? Let's throw some theories out there.

1. I know something you don't about this baby and this puppy. What would happen if, say, the baby wasn't eaten and the puppy remained firmly unkicked, they would be ritually sacrificed to a dark god that would help herald the end of reality afterwards? The character in question has knowledge they can apply from outside the context of the question that isn't necessarily shared with others. Which leads into my next point...

2. I'll do it so someone else can benefit/no one else has to do it. Basically, because the 'villain' is making a shameless choice that he will be ostracized for in an attempt to help someone else. He might have just won a million dollars for charity, obtained the cure for cancer, and solved world hunger all at the same time- but he will be forever remembered as the crazy man who just ate the baby. Alternatively, he might make this decision for his friend- if he knows that his best friend, Child Eater Jr., is being pushed by his father to carry out the family business, he might bite the bullet for his friend so that they aren't forced to make the decision.

3. If I eat this baby and kick this puppy, perhaps people will... be my friend? Respect my decisions? Stop asking me if I'll be a stereotypical cartoon villain as part of a survey so I can get back to my studies, goddammit(!)? You'd be surprised what people will do under societal pressure. There's a reason peer pressure exists.

4. I ate this baby so that I could prove that I am the Ultimate Lifeform. Megalomania, narcissism, and egotism can cause problems, even if they aren't bad enough where they fall under the umbrella of insanity. Perhaps they felt that by making this evil choice, they could both boost their self-esteem as well as make others fear and respect them as a superior person for making the hard choice.

5. I find the reactions of others realizing that I have made this choice amusing. What would you do if Edge McFaceLord III, Esq. told you that he just ate a baby and kicked a puppy? You'd probably react with disgust, back away, perhaps even shout something along the lines of, "How could you have possibly done this?" He reacts with a shrug and a smile, for he just had his decision justified for him. This is why the term 'Don't feed the trolls' is a popular internet rule for dealing with provocateurs- if you deny people reactions, their reasoning for making poor decisions just to see the results would be significantly less justify if people aren't reacting to it.

6. I did it because I didn't know what would happen. Ah, curiosity. The natural desire to pursue knowledge, and one I can understand. Say, for instance, Edge McFaceLord has taken some lessons from his best friend's successful father, Child Eater Sr. He tells Edge McFaceLord III, Esq. that babies taste good, after all, and it's not as disgusting as those haters lead you to believe- in fact, child eating has a long history. And kicking puppies is therapeutic- Edge McFaceLord III, Esq. is in college, after all, and he could use the stress relief. So when Edge McFaceLord is presented this choice, perhaps he decides to try it, just once- and then he might be disgusted with himself afterwards, or perhaps, even, he'd start to agree with him.

These are flanderized examples, sure, and certainly not all of them, but hopefully they help prove a point.

• Brohoof 2

What exactly do you mean by the villain? Good and evil are very subjective: take WWI for example. If you look at how the war started, nobody was entirely in the wrong or the right, but the nations involved vilified each other regardless.

I personally enjoy playing devil's advocate because it's important for people to question their beliefs, it also leads to interesting discussions. In some of my classes, that has lead to be being considered a villain of sorts because I make controversial points. Does that really make me a villain though? All to often people view things in black in white, it's easy to forget, for example, that both the Democrats and Republicans generally want what's best for America (I hope, it can be hard to tell at times), they just have different approaches to getting there.

• Brohoof 1

Many "villains" had absolutely NO desire to be/become one in the first place, these are individuals that have been pushed, abused, mistreated, neglected(often) others are just in pursuit of great power and control... conflict of interest can have a progressive and conservative individual disagreeing about who is or isnt a "villain" but more often than not the villain role is not a choice, it starts through the bad side of being an anti hero, mercenary type actions that self serve an individual that has been driven to squaller and that has to adapt for their own sake... usually this individual is broken in all their attempts to peacefully assimilate with others, and strong armed from any positive social interaction, judged before speaking a word to those who do not know them, and has reconstructed a purpose in which is the only way to have "self growth" something most villains are all about... some take this very very far, others are merely villains based on the fact that the heroes are self righteous and write their own press releases... or at least narrarate them... I have NO DESIRE to ever be considered a villain, i live day to day doing things harder unfortunately, not to spite ANYONE, but realistically in spite of myself(not purposefully) but someone elses splinter is more important than your missing toe... (and by this i mean, people only care about their OWN problems...)

1 hour ago, Mesme Rize said:

Well, most of us here grew up on movies and television and most of the time, the villains are the most interesting characters of any movie or television show.

Disney has a large variety of villains, who are sometimes considered some of the best in movie history, or comic publishers like marvel and DC have a bunch of interesting villains. Villains just have more charming personas.

The hero/villain plotline gets even more tangled up when antiheroes were introduced. (A conventional hero who lacks heroic attributes, such as a moral code.) I personally find the idea to be confusing, as previously stated, villains are heroes of their own story.

Just now, Ninetales said:

The hero/villain plotline gets even more tangled up when antiheroes were introduced. (A conventional hero who lacks heroic attributes, such as a moral code.) I personally find the idea to be confusing, as previously stated, villains are heroes of their own story.

I dont think so, I think villains are convenient finger points for individuals who had to click up against a single individual who had a difficult time growing in a positive atmosphere like the "heroes" did, maybe due to their exclusion... who knows? (coughs that was definitley it if the villain had a normal life and fair chance things would be different coughs) it makes people feel better when they can justify what they have done to someone who doesnt agree with them 100% on their philosophies, people get to a certain point, and they either repress the guilt they feel, or they feel none, the villain probably has no choice either way... but an anti hero can be seen as someone like robin hood even, and has sentiment and heart in their resolve.... and the right person telling that story could make robin hood look like a complete hoodlum.. its all about who is full of their own BS, and who is holding the pen

6 minutes ago, Aquaflame said:

I dont think so, I think villains are convenient finger points for individuals who had to click up against a single individual who had a difficult time growing in a positive atmosphere like the "heroes" did, maybe due to their exclusion... who knows? (coughs that was definitley it if the villain had a normal life and fair chance things would be different coughs) it makes people feel better when they can justify what they have done to someone who doesnt agree with them 100% on their philosophies, people get to a certain point, and they either repress the guilt they feel, or they feel none, the villain probably has no choice either way... but an anti hero can be seen as someone like robin hood even, and has sentiment and heart in their resolve.... and the right person telling that story could make robin hood look like a complete hoodlum.. its all about who is full of their own BS, and who is holding the pen

Right. Also, no offence, but the avatar made me think of something. If a villain is reformed, what makes people sure they won't go back? What makes people sure they won't change back into the villains? (Seriously know, nice avy)

I'll say that vilain are as important as good guy. There are both heroes, have their own stories, and personalities.

If there was noy villain there won't be any "good guy" either.

But "why" do they want to be bad ? I don't know, I don't think they chose to be honest, there are probably born like that or became villain without even noticing because of their past of what happen to them.

Sometime you also became villain because you're drawn by the power and just let your anger take over your reason.

3 minutes ago, Ninetales said:

Right. Also, no offence, but the avatar made me think of something. If a villain is reformed, what makes people sure they won't go back? What makes people sure they won't change back into the villains? (Seriously know, nice avy)

I think for the most part heroes are over glorified bullies, and villains are usually just power hungry creeps that need to cut their shit so douche bags can quit tooting their own horn... its not hard to see what drives some villains insane with the pretentious, do goody FAULTY self righteousness many heroes carry... but to answer your question... love, friendship, sentiment... things that they can not have in SELF growth are their only indifference to it, if they are not given a chance for any of these things, they would rather be the most powerful selves, instead of living forever in the self pity that others have never had for them and that they would not accept regardless... some villain code, I suspect they lust respect, but are never given it.

7 minutes ago, Aquaflame said:

I think for the most part heroes are over glorified bullies, and villains are usually just power hungry creeps that need to cut their shit so douche bags can quit tooting their own horn... its not hard to see what drives some villains insane with the pretentious, do goody FAULTY self righteousness many heroes carry... but to answer your question... love, friendship, sentiment... things that they can not have in SELF growth are their only indifference to it, if they are not given a chance for any of these things, they would rather be the most powerful selves, instead of living forever in the self pity that others have never had for them and that they would not accept regardless... some villain code, I suspect they lust respect, but are never given it.

Overglorified bullies? Can you go into detail on that?

Overglorified bullies? Can you go into detail on that?

bureaucratic (usually, check Marvel/DC for reference) I mean, I could get started, but its all about someone taking absolute control, but its just how they paint their faces on while doing so, that creates the level of righteousness one can hold... It's like there was a Brotherhood for Mutants because humans were exterminating and in fear of mutants.... they arent bad for clicking up to protect their kin, and to use their powers how THEY wanted to... they didnt need the "master mind"(X) determining how that show was ran...

1 minute ago, Aquaflame said:

bureaucratic (usually, check Marvel/DC for reference) I mean, I could get started, but its all about someone taking absolute control, but its just how they paint their faces on while doing so, that creates the level of righteousness one can hold... It's like there was a Brotherhood for Mutants because humans were exterminating and in fear of mutants.... they arent bad for clicking up to protect their kin, and to use their powers how THEY wanted to... they didnt need the "master mind"(X) determining how that show was ran...

I'm not sure I follow, but I'll take your world for it.

I'm not sure I follow, but I'll take your world for it.

Well it demonstrates that people judge "good and bad" based on philosophy... when really a mix is necessary, the X men werent "good" for not taking a stand... and Magneto tried to take the Brotherhood way to far...

Just now, Aquaflame said:

Well it demonstrates that people judge "good and bad" based on philosophy... when really a mix is necessary, the X men werent "good" for not taking a stand... and Magneto tried to take the Brotherhood way to far...

i guess?

Good and bad is subjective for the most part. There is however a lot of common consensus on what is defined as "good" and what is defined as "bad" or "evil".

I wouldn't mind playing/being a villain. In fact, it'd be quite fun. I'd be a moral villain, though a villain none the less. I wouldn't murder unless necessary. I wouldn't plunder.

The thing about "good always wins" is a load of bollocks. In the face of a truly intelligent and unpredictable villain, good won't win. Good is often too predictable. Chaotic neutral or chaotic evil is the most fun. They are always unpredictable and often hard if not impossible to read.

I wanna see a villain win for once. I wanna see evil triumph once in a while. Good always beating evil is boring and stale as fuck.

A little Overlord-style. You're pretty much just a guy doing your shit to survive. And get an incredibly good-looking gal in the process. Everything from asshole heroes raiding your tower and your hard-earned gold to blood-crazed unicorns wanting a piece of your ass, not to mention peasants being a bunch of fucking cowards. An Overlord's gotta do what an Overlord's gotta do, yanno.

Yeah, would be fun. A lot of fun. Any heroes wanting to trash my shit gets to eat my hammer. I'd try my best not to kill anyone. Dead people are shitty (temporary)servants(not to mention the god damn mess it creates). The women would be wearing nice French Maid outfit with incredibly short skirts. The guys some nice butler outfits. After a month of "whipping" them about(the pay would be lousy, but would be getting two meals a day and a nice comfy bed) I let them go. With a warning. If they return, they will be getting the D too. No comfy bed. You sleep in the basement, next to Bob the Slime and Ginny the screeching harpy. No mercy. if you return for a third time.. What the hell is wrong with you? Fine. Permanent slave servant it is.

...I think I'd be a lousy evil Overlord. Too good to be evil. Too evil to be good. A mix of both for a healthy "diet", yanno.

Edited by Yakamaru

Depends on who they are and why they are doing what they are doing. All villains have motives, they don't just decide one day that they want to be a villain. Some may also have different perceptions of morality which leads them to do questionable or villainous things that they themselves may not consider all that bad.

Villains are the heroes of their own stories. I agree with @Mesme Rize that they can be the most interesting characters to pay attention to, just look at someone like Frollo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame. He definitely was doing the good and righteous thing in his own mind, and its captivating to watch his struggle as the viewer.

I was also playing a video game a while back in which the main character resigns himself to doing a job no one else wants to do; killing off a few people that the government was taking too long to deliver the justice to. It's not something he wants to do, but he does it anyway. The main character here tends to come off as the hero despite the dark actions he commits, because in his mind he is doing them for the right reasons.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to play a villain.

A (good) villain, in my opinion, is ambitious, resourceful, and presents a real challenge the hero must overcome. In order for a hero to gain the growth necessary to triumph over them, the villain must then be equally as great as the hero (maybe even more so).

Besides, I'm sure most villains view themselves as the heroes of their own stories. So sometimes what you want is irrelevant. You are what you are.

Edited by Invincible

• 2 weeks later...

Some people prefer to prioritize their own person comfort and gain over the greater good, some people just crave power over others, some people just want to watch the world burn.