Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What are things you dislike/like about your job?

TBD

Pretty straightforward question here for those who have/had a job, what do you guys like/dislike about it? Sure, job is job but no harm done just letting all out. :smug: 

I work at the retail's deli and one thing I dislike is the rush hours and the costumers being impatient about why it'd took so long for us to get to them. eh? well look around you, you're not the only one asking for sandwich. One thing I like is how easy the job is (minus the rush hrs), just cut up the meat, resupply the food, and making sandwich.

I work as a waiter at an family owned Italian restaurant. Things I like: going home with cash every night, my coworkers, the fact that it's family owned. Things I don't like: I have to work on the weekend, which makes having a social life difficult (but that's a minor complaint), customers who can't make up their mind, people who don't tip.

I used to work at waste disposal. You can probably guess why it's not a dream job. Differing from common prejudice it actually pays like crazy, especially if you have truck driving license. I became a rich man just by throwing sacks of waste around and drinking coffee with my bosses. (Rich by my standards, now I can afford food that is not canned pea soup. :D)  Once I found a baseball and a bat from a pile and we had a tournament, had to be the best moment. That or our forklift races.

Edited by PanicAttack
  • Brohoof 1

I love my job but if I had to pick something about it I'd like to tweak, I'd say it's the quota of guests I have to meet. I have to personally take care of no fewer than 107 guests per hour. When you think about it that's a pretty crazy amount to keep up with. I can take some in groups, which helps, but it's always hard when there's someone standing there supervising with a clicker counting up all the guests that come through. I don't always make the quota but it averages out close enough. I usually feel pretty spent after the first hour or so. 

Honestly? The salary.

I maintain data and software for a tech firm.

After finishing my bachelor's and landing a job in this new position, i thought i would be earning a pretty penny, so to speak. It comes as no surprise that what i make might turn out lower than what is usually gossiped in online forums etc., but I've met enough disgruntled employees complaining about their pay, so it's safe to say i'm nothing special there. 

It's cool in terms of stuff to do, there's enough challenge in what i do to make me feel like i'm honing my skills and there's no shortage of work, plus it doesn't seem like there's a threat to my contract there, so I'm sticking around for the experience and gritting my teeth.

Who knows? If they like having me around, maybe a little raise and some bonuses once in a while could fix the problem.

I'm a care taker, nurse.. I don't know what to call that in English. I help people in need, meaning.. People with a handicap, mental illness och sickness that stops them from being able to do normal day-to-day things on their own. I'm their helper, I help them to get ready everyday, give them medicine, make food for them, take them out, etc, etc. It's like helping someone else live their life, like you'd live yours. Double life, so to speak.

I dislike that my job is so unthoughtful about their workers. They can throw us in in the morning when we were not about to work, just because there are not enough workers to cover for us when we're sick, etc. It's just a bad system because everyone is selfish enough not to work with this kind of thing. So we have to work a lot more than we should because there's not enough people to cover for us when we can't actually go in and work.

I also dislike to come in everyday and assume that something bad is gonna happen. Like, they'll suddenly have trouble breathing or some food gets stuck in their throat or that I need to call an ambulance and be responsible of someone's survival. That always scares me. To see someone actually die in front of me, whilst I cannot do anything to help.

I like that I'm able to make a change in someone else's life. It gives me purpose, although it's sometimes really hard work and it does tear on my mentality sometimes when the patient is rude to me. Usually, because of their sickness. But it's still hard to work sometimes. I'm always doing my best to help, however. It's just to never give up on people. There are always something good to come afterwards.

Edited by darkwingmare

I cut boards to varying lengths at a company that makes pallets.

I love that my job is a simple and easy one that pays above minimum wage. 1 hour lunch break and 2 smaller breaks. And we have only a 4 day week.

However, however, it's mind numbingly boring at times if you have nothing to think about, and it's physically exhausting. Sometimes when I get home the first thing I do is collapse in bed and fall asleep.

In my opinion the pros outweigh the cons, and in this town I'm lucky as hell to have this job. I am thankful for the opportunity.

Edited by Heavenly Sun

My last job was working customer service at a call center. As anyone who's worked customer service, people have a habit of turning into inhuman beasts at teh drop of a hat, and no matter how irate the caller was, or how impossible the task they wanted me to accomplish (including performing a service that not only did the company no longer offer, had effectively stopped offering in 2012) I couldn't hang up on them for any reason, even if I had already gone through literally every possibly option and then explained to them why I couldn't help them repeatedly.

I spent over ten minutes repeating the same two lines of information to a woman that the issue was with her insurance company and she should contact them, and another getting screamed at by a supposed "Bank Representative" when I wouldn't give personal information about a client when she couldn't supply proof of authorization by said client (which is illegal, and could have had not only had me fired, but charged if I had given her said information). When I asked her if I she would give me personal client information if I just showed up at her bank and asked without proof, she called me an idiot and started yelling even more.

But I swear the worst was the people who demanded to "Speak to the Manager", when I knew for a fact that the Manager would tell them the exact.
Same.
Thing.
Word for word.

Clearly, because I'm not a manager, I must know nothing about the company, their policies or how to warp the fabric of space-time in order to adhere to your impossible demands.  

• Brohoof 2

I'm a motocycle mechanic, the things I hate the most ? Customers. God I've never seen people that annoying ! I'm not a "master" of mechanic or anything but, I know my job, and when I tell them something is wrong, they always tell me "no the problem doesn't come from here it's from here" ... like wtf man if you came here, and give me your bike so i can fix it, just let me do my job !

Anyway customers are always the worst no matter what job you do...

• Brohoof 2

Currently I work on my school's stage crew.

I like getting to run the sound boards and light boards, those are always fun to play around on :P

I don't like that I don't get paid very much xD. But I'm not in it for the money. And I don't have to deal with the public, eyyy!

• Brohoof 1

I work for a southern restaurant, and I'am the place's only dishwasher trainer (yet they always send new people to this lazy guy who isn't even a trainer, who turns our recruits to lazy workers). As for my job, I have the responsibilities of a dishwasher, plus I have to train and make sure our new people are up to par with our standards. I've been doing this for two years.

Pros:

The people I work with are awesome, including the managers. No one is uptight and feels like you're working with a bunch of friends.

I get free food sometimes.

Cons:

The job is very stressful, and requires your and your team's 100% otherwise things fall apart fast.

My GM loves to make the job harder for us... you know the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it?" well he takes something like a set up or routine that is perfectly fine, beats it with a hammer, covers it in duct tape, then expects the set up or routine to work better.

I'm getting paid less than the people I train. Lots of people are actually, and the GM isn't gonna do anything about it, resulting in a lot of half ass workers and people quitting.

People like to test my patience, and think they know more about the job than me.

The managers love to pair me with people who are slow and think we'll make it out alright. Which results in me staying two hours extra, which pisses off the managers. I give them what advice I can, but sometimes people just aren't cut out for this.

We get breaks but that are not encouraged. So when we need a break we only take a two minute break then get back to work.

Overall I don't like my job, but the reason I stay is because I'm probably going to run into the exact same thing if I leave for another restaurant or store. I'm currently trying to get my guard's card so I can get hired as security. Class starts in about a month, and I'm looking forward to that. 

I just left my job but what I like beside the obvious (money), it was a great way to pass the time. Kept me busy and I was mobile a lot more. I liked a lot of my coworkers and though I felt no loyalty for the company itself, I feel bad for leaving them behind.

Otherwise, I loathed almost every other aspect of the job. Managers that wouldn't listen, customers that were downright hateful, and the fact it was a graveyard shift. It was a constant battle of being overexhausted, underpaid, and pissed off.

Edited by Sky Shield
overEXHAUSTED not overEXPOSED, wth fingers

I dislike not having a job. I dislike having to rely upon my parents to pay for food and stuff. It just feels so wrong and it wasn't what I wanted to happen.

I guess I can talk about my former job. I worked as an overnight stocker at a retail chain. I hated working nights and I hated the politics. Otherwise, it was a stable job and it was relatively easy, and something that I was proficient at (I'm generally pretty incompetent at pretty much everything, so that felt nice... Until I got taken advantage of and overworked).

The job turned me into a Squidward, though. I used to be a carefree, less stressed out person, and now anytime I go into a grocery store, I turn into a stressed out grouch who gets really annoyed with any customers in my way. (This came from working overnights and having customers in my way at 3 in the morning and wondering why lol) I became a person of routine with that job, too, and became really stressed out when that routine was interrupted, and sadly that has maintained in me after quitting.

Pretty sure that job just made my personality worse. I like to joke by comparing it to Squidward, but really it's not even funny. I want my old self back.

I work at a movie theater as an usher/ ticket taker.

pros:

- money

- free movies( most of the time.)

- discounts on food

- most of the managers/ employees

cons:

- Customers

- having to check people's bags.

- carding people

- did I all ready say customers? 

- being like one of the oldest employees there. (There are a few older but, still)

Edited by Scootaloo Is Best Filly

My job is very easy, and when I'm done, I can go home early. There's really not much to complain about; I can help out other departments if I'm hungry for work, but other than that I'd say waiting around for orders to be picked up is the only downside. I work at QFC as a ClickList attendant. A service in which you can order your groceries only and pick them up at the store.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

I work in the marketing section for a company who sells ingredients,tools and machines specialized for bäckery

Pros:

-Free samples of every new product.

-money (plus extra vacation and christmas money)

-35 days for vacation

- a nice supervisor

Cons:

-time pressure

-overtime

-too many woman in my department. (Working with men is so much easier.)

when the boss is in the office the whole day and just keeps piling up letters, invoices, post and dictations to be typed up and expects you to be able to do it all within the day >.< 

I also hate how I have no time to really draw or record during the week due to having a job =x 

• 2 years later...

I dislike strongly that it is not a sit-down job and that it requires me to get up at 3 am. The fact that it is an active on my feet job means that I have been off and on there since starting back and I have not been full time since early last year. It is an incredibly painful job for me. In my last post I mentioned it (the job I had before is very similar to the one I have now) how it was one thing I was proficient at and that made me feel good, well now that's no longer the case. I'm not physically able to perform the job quickly anymore so now I'm not even a good worker.

I can't believe I'd ever say this, but I'd give anything for a desk job. A 9ish-5ish job where I sit down the whole time sounds like a dream right now. Because I would not be in pain, I would be making full time money, and I wouldn't have to get up earlier than I naturally get up (6-7am).

- The work itself most of the time

- The nice customers (99% of them are :) )

- The tip jar

- The paycheck 

Dislikes:

- My bosses (yes I have two)

- Most of my coworkers

- Feeling like I have to force myself to work extra just to avoid getting in trouble even though it’s optional

- Closing the store