Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Sleep Thread

Meeps

How long does it take you to fall asleep? Do you have to have white noise to actually sleep? Do you sleep like a rock, or are you a light sleeper?

I usually sleep like a rock. I currently sleep in a bed, but would like to try out sleeping in a hammock in the future :P I sleep best with my kitty beside me!

Also, I dream a lot depending on what's going on in my life. It's usually a complicated story-like plot, and my family and friends get a kick out of hearing them, lol.

What about you?

• Brohoof 2

It usually takes me almost an hour to fall asleep, unless I'm really exhausted in which case I can fall asleep in 10-30 minutes. Except for the nights I have insomnia, where it can take up to 3 hours or more for me to finally pass out.

For most of my life, sleeping was one of the easiest things for me to do. Have a fan on or some kind of white noise and I would sleep like a rock and a baby. A baby rock. Lately though, that hasn't been the case. Sleep has been troubling for me, whether it be trouble falling asleep or more common, not being able to sleep enough. So it has been really iffy. Not sure if it is my medicine or not.

16 minutes ago, Twilight Witch said:

It takes me ranging from 3 hours to less than 10 minutes. It took me like 20 last night. I sleep like a rock sometimes, and I quite like my bed and I usually remember and writ down my dreams.

I quite enjoyed having a dream log. I lost my last one, but plan to start a new one very soon.

I also experienced lucid dreaming a few times, which was both strange and highly enjoyable (flying, yay)! but I have no desire to seek it out personally.

• Brohoof 1

I actually have a sleeping disorder (restless legs syndrome), but ever since I have been on my medicine (an anti-seizure medicine that's sometimes used for nerve pain and restless legs), I've slept a lot better. Before I was treated for that, it'd take me nearly an hour to get to sleep, but now I'd say 20 minutes?

1 minute ago, Meeps said:

I quite enjoyed having a dream log. I lost my last one, but plan to start a new one very soon.

I also experienced lucid dreaming a few times, which was both strange and highly enjoyable (flying, yay)! but I have no desire to seek it out personally.

I do. What do you dream about?

@Twilight Witch It's kind of hard to describe how the lucid dreaming starts, but it was never mundane for me in either of them. During one I realized I could talk to birds and decided (literally decided) to go flying with some owls, and the second time a giant robot was trying to kill me and I realized I could use super powers of my own free will. Both times, I was eventually aware of being in a waking state, and I tried to hold onto them but ended up waking up anyway. The dreams stayed pretty fresh in my mind for most of the day, but as with many that aren't recorded, faded over time.

I usually dream of whacky and fun things, but occasionally something unsavory will sneak in... like zombies. It's pretty rare that I have a nightmare because if a dream gets bad enough, I can wake myself up. No idea how I do it, but as soon as things get too intense, I'm safe and awake, lol.

Edited by Meeps
  • Brohoof 1

@Meeps

I sometimes have them, although I know that if I enjoy myself too much or do things too extreme I would wake myself up. 2 days ago I had one about walking down the street. Last night I had one about that the mlp characters were created by doctor wily or something.

It depends. Some nights i can sleep very well, other nights i need a bit. But there was never a night where i didn't fell asleep.

But most of the time, i sleep very well. There are not alot of things that could disturb my sleep.

It ranges from 10 minutes to an hour for me to drift into slumber.

I dream about different things, like ponies, video games, movies, my family and even my OC Mesme Rize. :P

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Hachiroku said:

I've slept through a magnitude 6.5 earthquake, if that counts as being a heavy sleeper.

That's... I think that qualifies you, haha! :wacko:

I once woke up to an intense lightning storm, the thunder was rolling so loud I woke up and thought the world was ending! 

I used to take hours to fall asleep, but now I live with my Partner and her two young kids I'm in bed in the early morning and up four to five hours later when they wake. So I fall asleep instantly now :) I also went from being a super light sleeper who could hear my doorknob turning quietly to to a heavy sleeper (unless one of the kids is upset in the night, then I'm up like a rocket). Every so often I have a nap and catch up on the lost sleep, or my partner let's me sleep in.

7 hours ago, Meeps said:

That's... I think that qualifies you, haha! :wacko:

I once woke up to an intense lightning storm, the thunder was rolling so loud I woke up and thought the world was ending! 

I live next to the Mendocino triple junction, so it could've been a lot worse. The Cascadian subduction zone is just a marvelous friend.

I usually fall asleep in about a minute. At bedtime I'm usually pretty exhausted. I always sleep with an electric fan next to my bed for white noise and couldn't sleep without it. I dream all the time and used to have very elaborate night-spanning dreams that just went on and on with incredible detail. I don't have as many elaborate ones anymore unless I've been very active and my brain is thrumming with all kinds of new stimuli, in which case they can be borderline lucid. In any case, I love my sleep and only wish I had ten hours at a time to devote to it. :orly:  

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I usually fall asleep in about a minute. At bedtime I'm usually pretty exhausted. I always sleep with an electric fan next to my bed for white noise and couldn't sleep without it. I dream all the time and used to have very elaborate night-spanning dreams that just went on and on with incredible detail. I don't have as many elaborate ones anymore unless I've been very active and my brain is thrumming with all kinds of new stimuli, in which case they can be borderline lucid. In any case, I love my sleep and only wish I had ten hours at a time to devote to it. :orly:  

I wish I could fall asleep that quickly! I totally can relate with wishing I had ten hours a night to devote to it, though. Have you ever mistaken a dream for being  real life at all?

Edited by Meeps
Inability to english

It takes me roughly 30 minutes to get to sleep and I am a very light sleeper. A fan on helps but it also can lead to cotton mouth if I fall asleep with my mouth open so it can be a pain at times. I'm an insomniac so its hard to get to perfect sleep environment for me. 

Edited by Jedishy

Speaking as a 6-year Navy veteran who worked night shift before that, I can generally fall asleep anytime & anywhere if I'm tired.  Sometimes, if I'm upset or have a lot on my mind, I might have trouble making myself go to bed and/or not be able to get to sleep for several hours, but otherwise, I'm usually out in 30 min or less.  Once asleep, no sounds other than my alarm clock, certain types of fireworks or anything that sounds like a General Quarters alarm or Bosun's Pipe can wake my ass up, but if anyone touches me, I'm instantly awake (this includes my cats who sometimes like to wake me up in the middle of the night by jumping on top of me).

As for dreams, I usually don't have too many that I can actually recall, aside from strange/stressful ones.  The most recent one of those was a result of playing Battlefield 1 on the 4th of July & the neighbors setting off those fireworks that sound like rapid gunfire...  Had a nightmare about defending a section of trenchline in WWI by myself with a BAR 1918 and having to hold of an entire regiment of enemy soldiers....

• Brohoof 1

On 9/18/2017 at 9:07 PM, DJ_Bonebraker said:

Speaking as a 6-year Navy veteran who worked night shift before that, I can generally fall asleep anytime & anywhere if I'm tired.  Sometimes, if I'm upset or have a lot on my mind, I might have trouble making myself go to bed and/or not be able to get to sleep for several hours, but otherwise, I'm usually out in 30 min or less.  Once asleep, no sounds other than my alarm clock, certain types of fireworks or anything that sounds like a General Quarters alarm or Bosun's Pipe can wake my ass up, but if anyone touches me, I'm instantly awake (this includes my cats who sometimes like to wake me up in the middle of the night by jumping on top of me).

As for dreams, I usually don't have too many that I can actually recall, aside from strange/stressful ones.  The most recent one of those was a result of playing Battlefield 1 on the 4th of July & the neighbors setting off those fireworks that sound like rapid gunfire...  Had a nightmare about defending a section of trenchline in WWI by myself with a BAR 1918 and having to hold of an entire regiment of enemy soldiers....

That's pretty intense. I concur on the not being able to fall asleep if I'm stressed, even though I seemed to be the opposite way when I was a kid. 

I usually take around half-an-hour or so to go to sleep. It's harder for meto go to sleep while there's something like a TV or a computer on, I actually can't (I didn't sleep an entire night in a hotel room because someone else had to have the TV set to Disney Channel...). Though when I'm asleep, I might as well be dead until I just suddenly wake up for whatever reason. I used to have embarrassing problems involving that, but I luckily haven't had those in a few years.

Edited by Barik the Luigineer

I think I slept for no more than 5 hours last night, unfortunately 6 hour sleep times are normal for me since I go to bed at different times during the week (I have an 8 am class and sometimes have to drop my brother at school pretty early like today). I don't mjnd though it doesn't seem healthy. I've done it all through college and like consciousness.