Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Garble will never be reformed

Theknightofdraconia

Some minds just can't be changed, Garble is way to bigoted and speciest to change(he hates ponies  and those who like them) and he has tried to kill on multiple occasions. The ONLY reason I'll accept a reformed Garble is if we find out, that when he was Spike's age his opinions on ponies were different even liked the concept of friendship, his parents forbade him from thinking such thoughts as it's not the dragon way and against dragon culture, but Garble would disobey his parents, and he decided to fly to Equestria to try to make friends only for something along the lines of what happened to Nick Wilde from Zootopia with ponies from wherever laughing at him saying "Who would ever be friends with a dragon!?" which hurt him and enforced the beliefs his parents pushed on him, and his parents don't comfort him after this, instead they give him an "I told ya so" speech. All this plus the competitive nature, creates the bully and hateful dragon that Garble becomes.

other then that, nope, he does not deserve redemption, he deserves banishment.

Edited by Theknightofdraconia

Thank you! Really, Ember needs to banish him from the Dragon Lands and force him to give every Pony, Griffin, Yak, etc a hug( and don't tell them why)

If her reign is going to change dragon culture, and allow dragons and ponies to enjoy diplomatic relations, trade and a peaceful co-existence in mutual respect, then no comprise, out with the old(Garble and any dragon like him) in with the new(Dragons who embrace friendship and peaceful ties with ponies and all other races)

I disagree with the angle of your position.

Garble will be reformed if the writers want to do it. He won't if the writers don't see a need for a story that sees him reformed. Has nothing to do with desires, needs, logic. If they feel there is a good story reason reform him, all bets are off.

The title doesn't ask if Garble should be reformed, and seeing as you don't work for DHX and that these guys have reformed a far more effective bully character, I am not ruling it out a possibility. 

• Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I disagree with the angle of your position.

Garble will be reformed if the writers want to do it. He won't if the writers don't see a need for a story that sees him reformed. Has nothing to do with desires, needs, logic. If they feel there is a good story reason reform him, all bets are off.

The title doesn't ask if Garble should be reformed, and seeing as you don't work for DHX and that these guys have reformed a far more effective bully character, I am not ruling it out a possibility. 

You have a right to your opinion, but I disagree.

The guy gives all dragons a bad name, he needs to go. Plus unlike most reformed characters, he has tried to murder a kid(Spike), three ponies and Ember. When you attempt murder you are beyond redemption. 

25 minutes ago, Theknightofdraconia said:

You have a right to your opinion, but I disagree.

Go back and read what I wrote. I didn't say whether Garble should or should not be redeemed, nor did I state that whether I personally want him redeemed or not. I simply stated that only the people with authority over the show can say definitely whether or not this will happen. Not you. Not I. 

This isn't opinion. You also don't even know if I agree or not whether Garble should be redeemed. 

1 hour ago, Theknightofdraconia said:

Some minds just can't be changed

Yes. This is apparently a thing I often see in the show, in real life, and on internet message boards. It is rather easy to detect those who are not willing to take a step back and reconsider their views. They usually have a absolutist view of an issue. 

33 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Go back and read what I wrote. I didn't say whether Garble should or should not be redeemed, nor did I state that whether I personally want him redeemed or not. I simply stated that only the people with authority over the show can say definitely whether or not this will happen. Not you. Not I. 

This isn't opinion. You also don't even know if I agree or not whether Garble should be redeemed. 

Yes. This is apparently a thing I often see in the show, in real life, and on internet message boards. It is rather easy to detect those who are not willing to take a step back and reconsider their views. They usually have a absolutist view of an issue. 

I see now what you mean. Forgive me for my ignorance. The title should have been "Garble should not be reformed"

just an opinion, but I see that the title has come off as "I know he won't"

Nobody is beyond redemption, some people just want certain people to be bad guys when they arent... being protective of yourself I think is much different than being abrasive, but I dont think Garble has any real trauma, or issues with others, I think hes just evil... and sorry to say it, but I feel like this was another shameless "make race relevant" plug type thing, and some are actually good in shows, because people can be bigoted toward people THE SAME RACE AS THEM, people of other races can be bigoted toward the same person for things that have NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR RACE (Partially, most people are just hypocritical self righteous self reassured swine...) but no, nobody is beyond redemption unless the accused is truly guilty that of which is beyond... but no Garble is intended to be a mean character because they arent just going to drop dragon nature and you know the whole element that the character can bring to a TV show

I don't think it is impossible for him to be reformed, but I mainly see it as highly unlikely. The closest I could see is him being tolerant, but not friends with ponies, which with Ember at the helm, it might already be like that. The character and the way he has been written really comes off as a character that simply won't completely get over his own prejudice. It would be kinda cool to get a bit of backstory on that though, to give us some further insight on why the dragons and ponies never really got along. Could make for some good lore.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Hierok said:

Hopefully we will not get reformed, because we then have to deal with him more often.

And from a narrative POV this should be the key phrase. With some characters, there were interesting new story angled that a reformation opens up. Discord, Trixie, Starlight, Diamond Tiara, etc. Some of the above were fan favorite characters too (Discord and Trixie) so a reformation arc would open up more appearances through new story ideas ...

Garble is different because I don't see many people clamoring for more of him, and we have already seen bully characters become redeemed in more effective stories. Instead I think a better approach would be to slowly show he is less of a dick while still keeping some abrasive qualities. Similar to how they approached Flim and Flam. Those two didn't turn over a new leaf, but you were given some semblance of complexity to them that they are not completely worthless individuals. Then again, I think they did that better with Trixie and Discord (redemption with keeping unpleasant characteristics that are strongly associated with their characters).

But I'm not so certain that there isn't a good story out there that could redeem him. Diamond Tiara was so bloody loathed until Crusaders of the Lost Mark, that it was almost unfathomable that some like me would ever appreciate that character outside of being a foil for the CMC ... but hell it worked for a lot of us. 

• Brohoof 1

The writers decided to make the general dragon culture follow the typical tropes of antagonist dragons.

A story attempt for Garble to reform, it would have to be done as Spike vs Garble where Spike beats Garble. 

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Jeric said:

And from a narrative POV this should be the key phrase. With some characters, there were interesting new story angled that a reformation opens up. Discord, Trixie, Starlight, Diamond Tiara, etc. Some of the above were fan favorite characters too (Discord and Trixie) so a reformation arc would open up more appearances through new story ideas ...

Garble is different because I don't see many people clamoring for more of him, and we have already seen bully characters become redeemed in more effective stories. Instead I think a better approach would be to slowly show he is less of a dick while still keeping some abrasive qualities. Similar to how they approached Flim and Flam. Those two didn't turn over a new leaf, but you were given some semblance of complexity to them that they are not completely worthless individuals. Then again, I think they did that better with Trixie and Discord (redemption with keeping unpleasant characteristics that are strongly associated with their characters).

But I'm not so certain that there isn't a good story out there that could redeem him. Diamond Tiara was so bloody loathed until Crusaders of the Lost Mark, that it was almost unfathomable that some like me would ever appreciate that character outside of being a foil for the CMC ... but hell it worked for a lot of us. 

I only kind of agreed with Daimonds because her songs in that episode are so good. :D

Every show needs villains.  I agree that Garble shouldn't be reformed, but look what happened to Diamond Tiara.  Einstein once said something like "Only the universe and human stupidity are infinite and I'm not completely sure about the universe." So, it wouldn't surprise me. (Upset yes, surprise no.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/4/2017 at 10:00 PM, Megas said:

Good, I hope not

Fuck him

2 years later and I still wonder how much coke they had to snort for them to even think it was a good idea 

It's funny to go back and read all those old arguments from 2017 going back and forth about how they think Garble could/could not be reformed :sealed: 

I bet no one back then could have predicted that Garble would turn out to be a misunderstood nerdy poet :muffins:  

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...