Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Dragons have no reason to intergrate

Theknightofdraconia

In Wings over Yakyakistan, which from what I've seen is getting nothing but negative reviews and for good reason, Ember mentions trying to integrate dragons with ponies..........ummm WHAT?! Nevermind the false analogies to comparing dragons to middle eastern immigrants(it shows), never mind they portrayed Ember and everyone other then Spike as a moron..

Couple things.

1. Why would you want to intergrate your subjects with Equestrians, you have your own country and if you need more territory the Badlands are available. This is the equivalent of having The German chancellor try to intergrate Germans into Russia!

2. There's a big reason why it's a bad idea and why I'm sure (TV show) Ember would never consider this dumb idea. Dragon's intentionally or unintentionally breath and sneeze fire, that's why they live in the dragon lands where everything is rock or the color of ash. Plus dragons grow to become behemoths. 

-And to any who say, they just need to not be greedy. No, I think greed accelerates growth, they can grow naturally. 

3. Dragon culture is unique, yes they should take certain things from pony culture and add it to make life better, but that does not mean submission to Celestia, that doesn't mean replicate Pony culture. Just take the concepts of friendship and community, that's it!

the writer even said she had no knowledge of Triple Threat, and it shows, dragons are having a tough time being friends with eachother. Hell even the Yaks still have gripes against ponies and don't assimilate with them.

Ember may be open minded, but she's not one to want her citizens to be assimilated into a culture and kingdom that does not mix with them. Just be allies, nothing more.

Edited by Theknightofdraconia

the reason to integrate is the same reason it is risky to have homogeneous ethnic groups on earth.

fear/ignorance of the other leads to prejudice, while people that live in close proximity have the chance to get to know people from other cultures.

It obviously makes no sense to uproot and move all the dragons to canterlot in one afternoon, but closer contact allows for friendships and understanding. 

it is obviously more complex than that in real life, and needs to be done carefully, but it is ideal that individuals from lots of different cultures can celebrate those together. 

---

I thought the comic was a bit disappointing, but that was because of the lack of focus.  i loved the cultural aspects of it. 

9 hours ago, weesh said:

the reason to integrate is the same reason it is risky to have homogeneous ethnic groups on earth.

fear/ignorance of the other leads to prejudice, while people that live in close proximity have the chance to get to know people from other cultures.

It obviously makes no sense to uproot and move all the dragons to canterlot in one afternoon, but closer contact allows for friendships and understanding. 

it is obviously more complex than that in real life, and needs to be done carefully, but it is ideal that individuals from lots of different cultures can celebrate those together. 

---

I thought the comic was a bit disappointing, but that was because of the lack of focus.  i loved the cultural aspects of it. 

I'm gonna have to disagree , see dragons becoming part of the Equestria and/or living in canterlot would result in something along the lines of Zootopia, and not the good final version, im talking the horrible proto type version(the one where predators had to wear tame collars) not that it would be collars, but laws would be put in like

-No breathing fire

-No eating gems structures

-No hoarding 

and other things that might be just I don't want to say discriminatory, but oppressive to the natural instincts of dragons. 

Sure one or two dragons ain't a big deal, but hundreds trying to live in cities is not a good idea.

Plus I just can't see them taking orders from Celestia or Luna, dragons answer to the Dragon Lord, not alicorn.

Ember(in the show) represents positive change for the Dragon nation, that being..

-Diplomatic relations

-Incorporating ideas from Pony culture like, Friendship, compassion and community.

-And to be allies with others.

But do I think Dragons should be over time eventually be fully intergrated with ponies?

Well, no.:confused: 

Look it not due to discrimination or anything, and in all for dragons making friends outside the dragon lands(like how you can make friends on the internet over Skype, or Facebook or whatever.) heck the dragons are now allied with the Changelings, but that's just it, friends and allies. They don't have to assimilate into Equestria or become part of the culture of ponies...

(shivers) could you imagine seeing a dragon working as an employee for a bakery? Could you see a dragon working/or want to work on a farm or see Ember wearing a dress? It's pretty undignified for a dragon(Spike being the exception, but he was raised by ponies so it makes sense)

Dragons from what I've seen in the Dragon Lands have it pretty good and doing just fine. I'm sorry to sound close minded, but that's just how I feel, I mean intergrating into Canterlot would be a massive challenge for both sides(each with good reasons) I mean both are doing fine as seperate from eachother and with separate borders, so why change that?:confused:

But I'm open to be proven wrong.

(Sorry again, I guess I just had to give my two cents.)

Edited by Theknightofdraconia