Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

TV Spots

PinkiePie97

Spike: What ya talkin bout?

Spike showing off his inner Gary Coleman. 

It's pretty much what you get from TV Spots. A mix of already seen clips with new clips. Will definitely air on Discovery Family and the other kids networks so expect it airing during the new episodes in the coming weeks.

Also I hope they don't do that thing a lot of movie trailers and previews do where they put all their best jokes in the trailer. More of that snarky Spike please.

46 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

I've being dying to see these! But hey, at least they're here now.

See? There was nothing to worry about when you made that topic about "The Movie possibly being delayed". 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

Spike: What ya talkin bout?

Spike showing off his inner Gary Coleman. 

It's pretty much what you get from TV Spots. A mix of already seen clips with new clips. Will definitely air on Discovery Family and the other kids networks so expect it airing during the new episodes in the coming weeks.

Also I hope they don't do that thing a lot of movie trailers and previews do where they put all their best jokes in the trailer. More of that snarky Spike please.

They're actually airing it on NBC and ABC too. Great move.

At least they managed to release these though it may be too late given the movie comes out in just over two weeks from now. These should have been released a couple of weeks sooner to build up more hype but I suppose it's better than not getting them at all.

1 hour ago, Ganondorf8 said:

At least they managed to release these though it may be too late given the movie comes out in just over two weeks from now. These should have been released a couple of weeks sooner to build up more hype but I suppose it's better than not getting them at all.

Though I've pointed out the growing ineffectiveness of TV ad buys, there is a thought that exists with marketing that some brands are better served with a compressed approach. Some brands that have more verticals and revenue streams attached to an IP usually advertise earlier (think Disney). There is a formula on when early advertising becomes less effective. Disney does release TV spots and trailers early, but they are usually minimally released. The true marketing onslaught is more typical. While these are competing theories with studies to back up each, the delay in marketing is likely related to reaching a cost efficiency ... and also due to the more dynamic production of this film. Disney isn't immune to this either. Tangled is a good example of when a constantly changing product impacts marketing timelines. The first TV spots didn't hit until the October before the November release and it would ratchet up as the time went on. More effective ad buys. Where Disney really nails it is in their post release ad buys. I suspect if this film over performs we will see the marketing team respond with a smaller 'Review Ad' campaign. 

Basically, I don't believe the film was in jeopardy of falling down due to the marketing ... though I was surprised that they didn't push the tradeshow angle much at all. That may have an impact on final exhibition screen count. #politics That's the real metric I'm curious about. How wide will this release be? 3000 screens is a good number, but I think this will fall short of that. 

• Brohoof 1

Something about Princess Skystar was both adorable, and humorous. XD

Very glad to see these at least!

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Hierok said:

I wonder if that huge party cannon is gonna show up in the series. :twi:

I hope so. I also want a toy of that stat ... Hasbro are you listening? 

1 minute ago, PathfinderCS said:

Something about Princess Skystar was both adorable, and humorous. XD

Very glad to see these at least!

A line every parent hears =D

Can I can I can I?

• Brohoof 2

@Jeric

Wow... That response really took me by surprise. I knew you were good and that just proves my point. I'm not being critical of the movie as I want to see it succeed and buck the trend of movies based on Hasbro's IPs failing to live up to expectations, yet I feel concerned that Hasbro and to an extent, Lionsgate, may not be doing enough.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Ganondorf8 said:

@Jeric

Wow... That response really took me by surprise. I knew you were good and that just proves my point. I'm not being critical of the movie as I want to see it succeed and buck the trend of movies based on Hasbro's IPs failing to live up to expectations, yet I feel concerned that Hasbro and to an extent, Lionsgate, may not be doing enough.

I can tell you that one thing they are doing really well is they are targeting shows that skew with a decent parent/family audience. America's Got Talent and the Today Show. I expect the big stars to start showing up on talk circuits in a few weeks. 

Two opportunities that could also work are targeted YouTube and Facebook ads. Also since this opens when people start thinking about Halloween, and some chain stores advertise specifically for that, and there are licensed costumes ... Wal-Mart and Party City type ads are a good idea.

You are correct in that there are some holes in their campaign, but I think they can fill them. The Sia music video getting released early was a great idea too as her and that dancer's fanbase have shown some interest in the film even though they aren't Pony fans. Saw a few comments to that effect. If it's starts trending soon ... that is going to translate to more interest.

I'll be happy with a 30 million domestic opening weekend. I saw one person say 80 million and I almost did a double take. That's not happening. If it does I'll eat my hat. Either way ... this isn't going to be Jem ... and while if isn't going to earn Transformers dollars ... it will most certainly be more fun. It will likely be better reviewed that both the above mentioned Hasbro crapfests. 

• Brohoof 2

@Jeric

One question is, can they fill up the holes quick enough given that there are less than three weeks to go. On a different note, I expect movie critics are going to pan this movie--I can already foresee their reasons for doing so--but hopefully it won't serve as a detriment to what the movie is trying to portray.

$80 million on the opening weekend is impossible, I agree. Well, it is possible but the chances are extremely slim to the point of being unlikely. The opening weekend is critical though as it will determine how successful the movie will be with the following weekend also being critical.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...