Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you consider Chrysalis the "main villain" of MLP

Drunkfrank

So, Chrysalis made her debut in A Canterlot Wedding with what many consider an ingenious plan to take over Canterlot and all of Equestria, of course she was foiled and defeated by the mane 6, Cadence, and Shining Armor, but she wasn't imprisoned or reformed, she was blown away far from Canterlot, which meant most people expected her to return eventually, I personally expected that return in season 4 with the Changelings invading during the Equestria Games, of course it didn't, and it almost started to seem like she may be forgotten, of course we got her "return" in the season 5 finale in the form of an alternate timeline, which, even though I am not a massive Chrysalis fan, I still adored that entire sequence.

Finally, in season 6, Chrysalis returned with a new far better plan of kidnapping the highest powers in Equestria when they were distracted or asleep (presumption, I don't some chump changelings beat beings like Twilight, RD, Celestia, etc) and once again she was foiled, this time by an unlikely gang of side heroes. This makes Chrysalis 3rd appearance in a two parter, the only villain with the same number is Nightmare Moon, but only once was she actually THE threat, Chrysalis has been the star villain for two finales now. However, unlike last time, Chrysalis wasn't simply blown away, but she left willingly after being defeated and swearing revenge on Starlight and everyone else.

"There is no revenge you could ever conceive of that will come close to what I will enact upon you one day, Starlight Glimmer!"

SPOILERS: And now, we have out animatic for season 8, and as we all knew, Chrysalis will be the main villain once again, for either one last bout with our heroes, or another defeat of plans of revenge.

3 two parters, three of them, most  villains has been constrained to the two parters they were introduced in.

Nightmare Moon was the first villain of the series, and she was defeated and reformed in the first two parter.

Discord, while he may still be a recurring character, was only a villain for The Return of Harmony

Sombra, despite being the smartest and most threatening villain we have had, was killed in the Crystal Empire

Tirek was introduced and despite being alive and conscious still, he doesn't seem to be returning

Starlight is the only villain who appeared Twice, but she was almost exclusively a foil for Twilight, and she did end up reformed.

With all this in mind, it does seem like Chrysalis is the "main villain" of the My Little Pony universe, she may not be what the series ends on, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is the villain with the most finales/premieres.

What do you think, do you consider Chrysalis the main villain of the universe at this point? I do, even though she isn't my favorite.

• Brohoof 3

Prior to the Season 6 finale I would have said no, and that the show doesn't have a primary antagonist. That said with her taking up three major appearances in the show (and a few in the comics) ... it's obvious she is the only recurring threat to Equestria so it's a legitimate discussion point now. Tirek is just sitting there doing nothing ... so yeah. 

I'd say I would agree she has risen to be what is the closest thing to a main villain this show has

A main villain in the series? I would of said discord would of been the main villain before his reform... As of right now though, I don't know if there is something in the show that you would call a main villain now.

• Brohoof 1

If Chrysalis doesnt get reformed in S8 premiere and comeback in another two-parter, she definitely is the villain who get the most appearances and can be the main villain of the show if they dont reform her... 

... Damn i dont want her to be reformed, but it will happen anyway.

I'll go with "To the extent that there IS a main villain, she's it."  Of all the villains to be in more than 1 adventure, she's the only one who hasn't reformed (& that counts Diamond Tiara).  She's also the only one to specifically reject reforming 

Forgot about Garble (2 episodes).  IMO, he's more of a jerk than a villain.

Edited by sweetolebob18

No. While she is the biggest recurring villain, I don't feel she's been brought back as frequent nor is focused on enough to be considered the show's central antagonist. This show just doesn't have what I feel makes a "main villain".

The focus of FiM won't even allow for a main villain to even exist. Chrysy would be a recurring villain, having attacked twice, and a third on the way, but to be a main villain he/she has either be:

1-A constant, ever present, and active threat. Many classic Saturday Morning Cartoons normally had those. Shredder, Skeletor, Munrah, etc are examples. Always with some plan to screw up in in near each episode. The SoL formula hardly has place for villains, much less recurring ones actively trying to make life hard

2-Arc villan. It ties with the above, but in arcs. They are considered main villains, but not the whole series. Some seasons have arcs, but apart of Starlight (who wasn't very active in-between), the arc lacked a villain in the premiere and finale who where even connected somehow, much less the same bad guy.

3-Story villain. The main villain of the series overall, that plays the long game instead of the Saturday Cartoons endless supply of threats. I believe one of the draft for FiM story was for Nightmare Moon to fill such a role, but again, that idea was scrapped years ago.

• 2 years later...