Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I think i've lost some respect for Peter New

ggg-2

Peter New recently took to Facebook, with a screenshot of Big Mac walking with Sugar Belle from It Isn't the Mane Thing About You with the post "Sorry haters!" Shouldn't he be more respectful of his fans, even those who dislike SugarMac? I used to think Peter New was a nice person, but now i'm not so sure.

no, why? It's his Facebook and he can do as he pleases with it. I think people need to chill about it, since he didn't insulted anybody and just took a jab at the headcanon shippers.

• Brohoof 9

1 hour ago, cmarston1 said:

To be honest, this doesn't seem very mean, especially when compared to how some staff members from other shows have treated fans.

Tell me about it? Some think the staff are the worst on Friendship is magic, but they are incredibly tame.

I guess people just take the message of friendship and tolerance a bit too much to heart and consider them large hypocrites, which i find just nonsensical.

• Brohoof 4

Pretty sad reason to lose respect for someone for having some fun with people with a cartoon show. But I guess we are getting to that age of being so PC that for every joke one makes you have to write a 10 page apology to bundle with it and make sure everyone understands and it is all OK and approved by the Earth Senate for Happy Feels.

• Brohoof 8

I don't follow Peter New on Facebook to know what he's like on a general basis, nor have I seen the new episode yet, but to be honest, that's a very minute, unimportant thing to get upset about. He had a playful jab at ships, I would not classify that as disrespectful or rude in any way.

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

Peter New recently took to Facebook, with a screenshot of Big Mac walking with Sugar Belle from It Isn't the Mane Thing About You with the post "Sorry haters!" Shouldn't he be more respectful of his fans, even those who dislike SugarMac? I used to think Peter New was a nice person, but now i'm not so sure.

Its just a picture, man. You really shouldn't be getting yourself worked up over a Facebook post.

• Brohoof 3

I've met him in person twice. He is a legit cool guy to talk to and have a beer with. No fucking way in hell am I going to lose respect because he supports what the writers did for his character. There was a time we wanted something .... anything ... in terms of development. We got a lot in the last few seasons. I'm not complaining. 

Also, Big Mac is elated to be dating the mare of his dreams. Be happy for the guy. I honestly can't wait for the Season 8 wedding. In fact, we should make a SugarMac Fan Club.  Maybe I'll make a sig image for it. Hell while I'm at it ..  It would make a solid banner. And they are going to probably have adorable kids 

sugarmac_family_by_mockingjaybases-d9hmy

Dawwwwww.

#SolidarityWithNew

And am I the only one the feels like I'm playing whack-a-mole on some topics? 

• Brohoof 4

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

I've met him in person twice. He is a legit cool guy to talk to and have a beer with. No fucking way in hell am I going to lose respect because he supports what the writers did for his character. There was a time we wanted something .... anything ... in terms of development. We got a lot in the last few seasons. I'm not complaining. 

Also, Big Mac is elated to be dating the mare of his dreams. Be happy for the guy. I honestly can't wait for the Season 8 wedding. In fact, we should make a SugarMac Fan Club.  Maybe I'll make a sig image for it. Hell while I'm at it ..  It would make a solid banner. And they are going to probably have adorable kids 

Dawwwwww.

#SolidarityWithNew

Who said this was WANTED? Try forced. As much as it pains me,  since he was so annoying and a shameless parody, Sugar Belle should be dating Feather Bangs. At least he didn't sexually harass her or enter her bakery without permission after rightfully being kicked out. Speaking of development, Big Mac is one of THE most developed major supporting characters. Sugar Belle barely has a character. Furthermore, i'd hate to see all of Big Mac's strong development go down the drain in place of going goo goo over Sugar Belle. Shining Armor and Cadance works. Bright Mac and Pear Butter worked. Hell, even Cranky and Matilda works. Why? All these pairings were CREATED to be together. Being a couple is their purpose in the show. Big Mac and Sugar Belle? They were created for other purposes. If you're actively trying to spite me now, consider yourself reported.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

Who said this was WANTED? 

That's the very reason it's good to me. When the show gives us exactly what we want there are no surprises in the evolution of the characters. I would rather sacrifice the self-indulgence of canonizing headcanon for a unexpected angle. I'll take something new over fanfics and shipfics being brought to life. A Royal Problem worked for me better because it was a scenario that was unexpected, involving a character that was completely out of left field, even though Daybreaker and the Celestia and Luna angle was obviously something the fandom has wanted for ages. 

As I said before, Big Mac courting a character from outside of Ponyville opens up stories that would otherwise not exist if the safer fan favorite route was taken. I hate the episode that SugarMac came from, but I adore the implications of the romance, especially now that I've seen Perfect Pear. Knowing that story, he may be torn between AJ and Sugar Belle should Sugar Belle want to stay in her old town. AJ and Granny, learning from the mistakes of the past and what being short sided and stubborn can cost you ... would eventually come around to give their blessing. 

That's deep and powerful shit right there. It's what I'm hoping for. And I daresay it's better thematically than CherriMac any day of the week. Sorry but it's how I feel, and probably how anyone looking at this story from a distance would feel. 

They had the balls to go against built in fandom desires. I want to see where they take it. It may not be what we wanted, but it may be what the character needed. 

• Brohoof 8

9 minutes ago, Jeric said:

That's the very reason it's good to me. When the show gives us exactly what we want there are no surprises in the evolution of the characters. I would rather sacrifice the self-indulgence of canonizing headcanon for a unexpected angle. I'll take something new over fanfics and shipfics being brought to life. A Royal Problem worked for me better because it was a scenario that was unexpected, involving a character that was completely out of left field, even though Daybreaker and the Celestia and Luna angle was obviously something the fandom has wanted for ages. 

As I said before, Big Mac courting a character from outside of Ponyville opens up stories that would otherwise not exist if the safer fan favorite route was taken. I hate the episode that SugarMac came from, but I adore the implications of the romance, especially now that I've seen Perfect Pear. Knowing that story, he may be torn between AJ and Sugar Belle should Sugar Belle want to stay in her old town. AJ and Granny, learning from the mistakes of the past and what being short sided and stubborn can cost you ... would eventually come around to give their blessing. 

That's a very interesting story-arc that I haven't even thought of. As a FlutterMac fan, I like this idea. 

9 minutes ago, Jeric said:

They had the balls to go against built in fandom desires.

Not to mention that there are already multiple ships involving Big Mac, not just FlutterMac. They can't please the whole fandom anyway, so why try? 

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

Who said this was WANTED? Try forced. As much as it pains me,  since he was so annoying and a shameless parody, Sugar Belle should be dating Feather Bangs. At least he didn't sexually harass her or enter her bakery without permission after rightfully being kicked out. Speaking of development, Big Mac is one of THE most developed major supporting characters. Sugar Belle barely has a character. Furthermore, i'd hate to see all of Big Mac's strong development go down the drain in place of going goo goo over Sugar Belle. Shining Armor and Cadance works. Bright Mac and Pear Butter worked. Hell, even Cranky and Matilda works. Why? All these pairings were CREATED to be together. Being a couple is their purpose in the show. Big Mac and Sugar Belle? They were created for other purposes. If you're actively trying to spite me now, consider yourself reported.

Now don't be rude with that last sentence.

As much as I think Feather Bangs is an okay character in spite of the fandom hate towards him, if Sugar Belle doesn't want him, it's her decision. At least Feather was better than Gaston in that Feather moved on to other mares who admire him rather than plot to force Belle to marry him.

Getting back on topic, 

8 hours ago, Jeric said:

Dawwwwww.

#SolidarityWithNew

I agree with that first paragraph, @Jeric. I'm not going to lose respect for Peter. And besides, I find Sugar Mac Adorable!

• Brohoof 2

Just a reminder to everyone: please express your opinions in a respectful manner. There's a decent discussion to be had here so don't force me to stop it.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, ChB said:

Not to mention that there are already multiple ships involving Big Mac, not just FlutterMac. They can't please the whole fandom anyway, so why try? 

Right. Some of the fan ships are definitely fun. Heck, if you dig through my posts you'll typically see me actually pushing CheeriMac as one that could be legitimate for the show. Also StarTrix is a personal fav :P

What I particularly like here with SugarMac is the thematic possibilities that can arise from it. Sugar Belle being connected to Starlight, the possibility of characters moving, and all leading to Big Mac and Sugar Belle saying their vows officiated by Mayor Mare in front of the parent's tree, with Granny and Grand Pear in attendance ... and it wouldn't have happened if not for Applejack and her friends intervening in Cutie Map. 

That's freaking destiny! It also makes that relationship seem far more interesting than face value. 

And more importantly, if you check out my reviews on Hard to Say Anything and Perfect Pear -- all of my thoughts here have been given before. I love this ship conceptually. Big Mac was a fun character that has been  elevated to a new level now. This is a decent ship and New has every right to defend the authorship of it in the way he did. 

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Right. Some of the fan ships are definitely fun. Heck, if you dig through my posts you'll typically see me actually pushing CheeriMac as one that could be legitimate for the show. Also StarTrix is a personal fav :P

What I particularly like here with SugarMac is the thematic possibilities that can arise from it. Sugar Belle being connected to Starlight, the possibility of characters moving, and all leading to Big Mac and Sugar Belle saying their vows officiated by Mayor Mare in front of the parent's tree, with Granny and Grand Pear in attendance ... and it wouldn't have happened if not for Applejack and her friends intervening in Cutie Map. 

That's freaking destiny! It also makes that relationship seem far more interesting than face value. 

What I find baffling about wanting Big Mac to move out is how bad it would be for the farm. Yes, they COULD, in theory, hire a pony to replace him. But the problem is, Big Mac is Big Mac. It would very hard, if not impossible, to replace that level of power and stamina. It's also been stated quite a few times that Applejack and Big Mac run the farm as a team. That sort of teamwork falls completely apart if Big Mac is replaced.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

What I find baffling about wanting Big Mac to move out is how bad it would be for the farm. Yes, they COULD, in theory, hire a pony to replace him. But the problem is, Big Mac is Big Mac. It would very hard, if not impossible, to replace that level of power and stamina. It's also been stated quite a few times that Applejack and Big Mac run the farm as a team. That sort of teamwork falls completely apart if Big Mac is replaced.

This is why writers wield the pen of the gods. They can make it make sense with a few clever sentences. 

eKfQdxY.gif

Families change and evolve through tragedy and good times. Sweet Apple Acres had to start somewhere. Imagine Big Mac building his own farm in The Town ... taking after his great grandparents. 

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, Jeric said:

This is why writers wield the pen of the gods. They can make it make sense with a few clever sentences. 

eKfQdxY.gif

Families change and evolve through tragedy and good times. Sweet Apple Acres had to start somewhere. Imagine Big Mac building his own farm in The Town ... taking after his great grandparents. 

That sounds more like disregarding established canon than an Author's Saving Throw.

30 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

That sounds more like disregarding established canon than an Author's Saving Throw.

I thought the established canon was that the Apple Family is known for being spread across Equestria. Tradition and legacy are important to that family, so it certainly fits, and that isn't even bringing up how it canonically connects with others episodes and creates a amazingly connected world where Twilight and her friends have set the stage for amazing life changes for others. 

And the episode where Granny, AJ, and AB struggle with Big Mac's desires to be happy while worrying about what that means for the family is absolutely one worth tackling, and as I said ... when you toss in the events of Perfect Pear ... family should endorse love and not stand in it's way. 

It's also canon that the rest of the family won't stand in an Apples way if they want to leave, and how leaving can lead to bigger and better things 

Filly_Applejack_leaving_Sweet_Apple_Acres_S1E23.thumb.png.6c889a9365830d97e0ab991847e2fb0e.png

My idea and speculation doesn't break canon. It is supported by canon. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

I'm pretty sure he was just trying to be funny.

Yeah. Other than the time that idiot took a pic of him at a urinal he has always been positive of the fandom. 

I think it's more like Peter New getting into our hip. That post wasn't meant to be mocking nor insulting, just a little jab like I sometimes do with the Flashy haters :D . Hell, it's WAY more tame than Fame and Misfortune :lol: 

• Brohoof 2

His FB post seems legit to me. 

He's free to post his opinion. I do not think he has any obligation to be considerate towards those that might take shipping way too seriously. If anything, his post comes off as playful. 
Do we really need to restrict the way, that the actors and others on the MLP cast, behave and how they socialize in their normal day to day life?

I do not think so :T 

• Brohoof 1