Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jeric

So the OST is starting to drop depending on your region and purchase/streaming platform. I just went through all the film songs twice and so far I have to say that Daniel Ingram nailed it for me. Some quick hits and spoilers 

We Got This Together feels like a song you would expect from a long big episode on the show, and it highlights several of the traits of the Mane Six. Spike talking with his mouth full made me smile. 

I'm the Friend You Need has some 90's style Disney elements to go along with Taye Diggs smooth voice. People are going to pick up on that and feel it's familiarity. For me it is reminiscent of Friends on the Other Side at times due to the singer. 

Time To Be Awesome was hot fun and I suspect will be the fan favorite here. For a song that appears to be a motivational song pushing the Pirates to betray the Storm King ... it was unfortunately a bit on the short side (and I hope the sudden change of heart isn't  just tied to this song because brevity is not a good thing with shifting allegiances) but the song is great and Rainbow's best song period. 

One Small Thing is a duet between Pinkie and Skystar. I'm biased as all hell because Chenoweth is a Broadway goddess to me. This is my second favorite song just for that, though it is probably going to be everyone's least favorite. I don't care ... It's Glinda singing in Pony. 

Open You Eyes ... Tempest's song ... ok. This was the highlight outside of Sia and Lukas. Emily Blunt sings about her rage, disappointed, and disillusionment from being an outcast among her own kind. Her motivation seems powerful and likely what sells this song.

The two huge songs are Rainbow and Off to See The World. Both are rock solid, and my thoughts about Rainbow have already been shared ... the other songs are fine fluff. Rachel Platten does well enough. 

Anyway, this is a solid Soundtrack and worth the price. It needed some more orchestra pieces though. 

Most of the songs minus Off to See The World (album purchase exclusive) are available on Hasbro's official YouTube channel. 

• Brohoof 6

• The topic was pinned
3 hours ago, caseyastevens said:

Does anyone have a link to "Off to see the World"?  I was able to find the others but not that one in particular.

I'll link the official music video when it comes out. This site doesn't permit the distribution of content like that so I can't link it. It's a decent song, that much I'll say. 

• Brohoof 3

Additional thoughts. 

I'm crazy for initially thinking of Friends of the Other Side when I listened to Capper's song. Obviously that was more due to  Diggs tone in his voice. I adore that samba beat going on at the beginning. 

Fluttershy kinda gets the shaft. RD and Pinkie pull probably the heavy lifting since they are featured with a solo moment in We Got This Together and both have a duet. AJ and Rarity get a decent solo in the first song and small lines in others. Fluttershy may sing a total of six words in the whole movie. That brings me to a minor nitpick. 

The We Got This Together track is a bit too short. I'm hoping it's cut with some speaking scenes mid way through so it sits longer in the film. Similarly, Time to be Awesome could have had a little more to it. 

Overall after multiple listens, the tracks that will be in the film are all decent to phenomenal. The other songs that pad out the Soundtrack ... well ... YMMV depending on your taste. Most are listenable, but I had the urge to skip a few like Rachel Platten singing a bizarre mash up incorporating a Gold classic scene on the sitcom Golden Girls. 

Basically, it's worth picking it. 

• Brohoof 2

I only listened to We Got this Together and It's Time to be Awesome because A. I already heard a part of them in other previews of them, B. If I lisnted to the whole soundtrack, I'd kind of be robbing myself of the magic of hearing them the first time in theaters, and C. Some of these songs are probably spoiler heavy. But I really liked them. Very Disney quality.

I listened to them on Youtube. I'm not buying them until I see the movie so I can guage the songs I like the best and choose those.

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

I only listened to We Got this Together and It's Time to be Awesome because A. I already heard a part of them in other previews of them, B. If I lisnted to the whole soundtrack, I'd kind of be robbing myself of the magic of hearing them the first time in theaters, and C. Some of these songs are probably spoiler heavy. But I really liked them. Very Disney quality.

I listened to them on Youtube. I'm not buying them until I see the movie so I can guage the songs I like the best and choose those.

Definitely fair. I actually discouraged someone from listening to it because they were a bit spoiler heavy. Also you might want to stay clear of the Sia music video for both your B and C reasons. 

• Brohoof 1

I've listened to a couple of the songs on YouTube (note: I haven't watched the official video for Rainbow, I've only listened to the song's audio) and I'm loving what I hear so far. I'm avoiding the songs sung by the actual voice cast though. All I've heard of those is a teaser clip of Time to Be Awesome from a month or two ago.

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Jeric said:

I'm the Friend You Need has some 90's style Disney elements to go along with Taye Diggs smooth voice. People are going to pick up on that and feel it's familiarity. For me it is reminiscent of Friends on the Other Side at times due to the singer. 

That's what I was thinking as I was listening to this song.

21 hours ago, Jeric said:

Open You Eyes ... Tempest's song ... ok. This was the highlight outside of Sia and Lukas. Emily Blunt sings about her rage, disappointed, and disillusionment from being an outcast among her own kind. Her motivation seems powerful and likely what sells this song.

I think this song was my favorite out of the "pony" ones.

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Hasbro uploaded a bunch of the songs on their YouTube so ... not piracy. Enjoy!  :)

My Little Pony: The Movie Soundtrack:

It sounds amazing. They need more life orchestral songs. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Crystal Peppermint said:

I bought the whole soundtrack, because that's the only thing, that is worth to spend money to support Mlp.

The music is definitely worth the price of admission. :)

To me, "I'm the friend you need" and "Open your eyes" are very good! Along with "Rainbow" I also liked the fact that Rarity and Spike got a duet part in "We Got This Together".

• Brohoof 1

On 26-9-2017 at 8:10 PM, Jeric said:

Some song clips

Time To Be Awesome

Hide contents

We Got This Together

Hide contents

One Small Thing

Reveal hidden contents

I will be really mad when Discord is not in this if even Cheese Sandwich is in it. :grin:

At 0:32 in "We got this together". Is that Starlights cutiemark? Is this event for her?

Edited by Hierok
  • Brohoof 1

I've listened to "Rainbow" quite a few times and I've teared up almost every time. I don't know, but I never would've thought it would have touched me like it has...

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

I've listened to "Rainbow" quite a few times and I've teared up almost every time. I don't know, but I never would've thought it would have touched me like it has...

Neighsayer is what did that for me.

This is worth getting for the pony songs alone, easily some of the best they've put out with, of course "Open Up Your Eyes" being the show stealer

unfortunately, apart from Rainbow and Off To Se the World(which are great) the licensed songs are pretty hit or miss 

• Brohoof 1

Of the 6 songs I've listened for far from this movie, I really liked:

1. We Got This Together

2. One Small Thing

3. Open Up Your Eyes

4. Rainbow

My least favorite is "I'm The Friend That You Need", mainly 'cause I'm personally not a fan of samba, nor did I find that much purpose for it. It's still catchy, though.

I like "Time to be Awesome" a bit better, as it sounds epic, and makes a bit more sense in the story. I just prefer listening the other four songs, but this one is growing on me.