Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Your real personal pilgrimage?

Steel Accord

A lot of us wish to travel. A lot of us also have desires to go on adventures. These aren't the same things though. The old adage is "the journey is more important than the destination" but that still entails having a destination, a goal, something specific you're trying to get to. So, given the financial and practical means to do so, where would you venture to and what would be your quest? It can either be a specific destination or all the places you go to have some unifying theme. For example you could start in Bejing and travel all the way to Uttar Pradesh, following the same journey as Journey to the West. Or you could take a boat down the length of the Nile from one end to another. Or you could travel from the East to West coast of the U.S. following the Lewis and Clark trail. OR you could visit every building in Europe that was bombed by the lufftwaffe . . . I don't know, that example was too weird for me not to use.

One catch though, you can't take a plane for each leg of the journey. You have to take ground or water transportation for at least a significant portion of it. With that said, where would you go, and what is your quest?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

Sometime next year I hope to go to Europe with some friends, there are a lot of places I want to see specifically all over.
I doubt I will get to see all of them on this trip but some places I would really like to see are:
Austrått fort in Ørland Norway.
La Coupole somewhere on the top of France.
The tank museum in Bovington England.
Kubinka Tank Museum in Russia.
The Netherlands, Germany and maybe Sweden. 

If I cant take a plane to get there.. (I live in Australia)  I suppose a cruise would be nice, the fort I want to see in Norway and La Coupole in France are on/close to the coast so I suppose I could stop at either, our plan already is to make use of the apparently cheap trains over there so getting around like that is the idea.

• Brohoof 2

Do something in code. I'd love to create some sort of software that everyone uses, maybe not on the scale of Windows or Facebook, but still pretty big. Perhaps a big open source project would work, but first I gotta learn the code well enough!

I'd also love to travel to the west coast again. I went there in 2015 (to Monterrey and San Jose, California), and it was absolutely beautiful!

As it currently stand, in no particular order:

- Get a job

- Get a girlfriend

- MAYBE get some kids. Don't know yet. Not fond of the idea of 2 years of screaming and shitting and 18 years of being a parasite

- Lose weight and get more physically fit

- And some others I can't remember currently

5 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

That would be good. Why would you want to do that?

Well, Walt Disney World's in Florida, but I've never been to the states in between. I'd be able to get some culture from each state.

• Brohoof 2

I hate to break it to ya Steel Accord but most people don't read the first post. I agree with Yakamaru; change the title to something like "What trip would you like to take" or something.

As for me, I just wanna ride trains around Europe :squee: 

@Steel Accord Sorry, just trying to give you some advice for getting more people to properly respond to your topic. I apologize if I came off as sounding rude.

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, SparklingSwirls said:

I hate to break it to ya Steel Accord but most people don't read the first post. I agree with Yakamaru; change the title to something like "What trip would you like to take" or something.

As for me, I just wanna ride trains around Europe :squee: 

Like those trains in Switzerland? :ooh: 

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if this would be counted as "pilgrimage" but I'll give mine. I do intend to see more world than my backyard. After my service in the army is over I am 50/50 if I should join a contractor company. This way I would do my dream job while traveling across the world depending on my choices. Protecting ships from pirates near Somalia or maybe assisting to clean up Iraq. (The first one is in relation to water transportation so I assume it applies. :D)

As I said, not really a fancy "pilgrimage" but it covers your "travel" and "adventure" parts. :catface:

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, TBD said:

Honestly I just want to venture off to the sea and nothing more. 

5 hours ago, Star Mist said:

I would love to travel on the Pacific Coast Hwy from Oregon all the way down to Southern California. 

5 hours ago, Corvino said:

I don't know if this would be counted as "pilgrimage" but I'll give mine. I do intend to see more world than my backyard. After my service in the army is over I am 50/50 if I should join a contractor company. This way I would do my dream job while traveling across the world depending on my choices. Protecting ships from pirates near Somalia or maybe assisting to clean up Iraq. (The first one is in relation to water transportation so I assume it applies. :D)

As I said, not really a fancy "pilgrimage" but it covers your "travel" and "adventure" parts. :catface:

All three of you have the sea as a commonality. I love the water and the idea of a sea voyage does appeal to me. (I once island hopped across the Mediterranean.) However to me, the sea is not my destination. Why is it for each of you though? What about the ocean calls to you?

2 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

All three of you have the sea as a commonality. I love the water and the idea of a sea voyage does appeal to me. (I once island hopped across the Mediterranean.) However to me, the sea is not my destination. Why is it for each of you though? What about the ocean calls to you?

Not particularly in the ocean but where land meets sea brings such sense of how two completely different forces of nature can collide together to create something beautiful. The crashing waves, the tall cliffs, the endless curves of the road brings on a meaning of a journey like no other. 

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Star Mist said:

Not particularly in the ocean but where land meets sea brings such sense of how two completely different forces of nature can collide together to create something beautiful. The crashing waves, the tall cliffs, the endless curves of the road brings on a meaning of a journey like no other. 

That's really insetting actually and certainly would be great for seeing that exact natural beauty as you rode down an entire coastline. Be one heck of a road trip.

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

Its kinda hard for me to explain in words why I have the urge to spent times out in the sea. I just typically like being in or around the water. The fact its would give me a complete solitude and  a chance to  reflect life. I would do the same when camping out in the wood, but it won't be the same, i kinda need to be out in the sea.  I don't specifically  know what place I want to head to when sailing,  I would just sail where ever I please since the sea is such a vast place. But yeh again it's just  a  strong feeling. 

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

Never really thought about that in particular, but I suppose my ideal trip throughout all of Europe that will never happen counts. I'd just be so taken in by the beautiful architectural styles. I'd love to go visit ancient cathedrals. I'd love to go see some symphony performances. I'd love to go to the museums. And, of course, hit up the places which manufacture sell Baroque style wind instruments and before.

I'd also like to see somewhere way up North, like Greenland.

In terms of finding a place to settle down and live, probably somewhere in the Northeast US. I'd just hate to leave my family behind...

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Envy said:

I'd love to go visit ancient cathedrals.

I find that, "interesting" but praiseworthy.

5 minutes ago, Envy said:

Europe that will never happen counts.

Never say never. The soul makes its own horizons. Those are all really good marks to hit in terms of destination stop points. Searching for rich culture.

13 minutes ago, TBD said:

Its kinda hard for me to explain in words why I have the urge to spent times out in the sea. I just typically like being in or around the water. The fact its would give me a complete solitude and  a chance to  reflect life. I would do the same when camping out in the wood, but it won't be the same, i kinda need to be out in the sea.  I don't specifically  know what place I want to head to when sailing,  I would just sail where ever I please since the sea is such a vast place. But yeh again it's just  a  strong feeling. 

That's a really interesting take and I get why. Even in isolation, when on land there's lots of stuff that's distracting. Trees, birds, small mammals, bugs. Lots of stuff that is natural but distracting. When out on the surface of the ocean and far away from land, you've almost entered a void or at least a space much less "crowded" than if you were to go even under the surface. So if you really want a place that's truly empty and without distraction, the surface of the wide ocean is the place to be.

• Brohoof 1

30 minutes ago, Steel Accord said:

That's a really interesting take and I get why. Even in isolation, when on land there's lots of stuff that's distracting. Trees, birds, small mammals, bugs. Lots of stuff that is natural but distracting. When out on the surface of the ocean and far away from land, you've almost entered a void or at least a space much less "crowded" than if you were to go even under the surface. So if you really want a place that's truly empty and without distraction, the surface of the wide ocean is the place to be.

I couldn't have say it better. xp

• Brohoof 1