Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Family Matters (1x1)

GoldieS

Maple sighed "Well it's an opportunity I guess. Consider it done, War." She nodded taking her bow which War had somehow gotten to her. Nodding to her "Before I go... What should I expect? I mean if you'll tell me at all. I don't need to know but it would be an advantage. Otherwise, I'll just go and fight them as is." Maple said shrugging and started prepping to go.

Woody shuttered when his paw went into the slimy substance but he continued to walk in it anyways It felt weird on his paws and his dragon claws. "W... Wait did you say, God? Like God of Chaos... Well I mean I can see it but... I don't know if I want to become a god of Chaos." He said nervously. He knew if slug was anything like War then he was going to shout at him so he braced for the worst.

• Brohoof 1

War rose a brow at her request for information, smirking for a moment before replying. "Find out. But seeing as how you don't have Woody here with you, it would be greatly in your interest if you didn't approach her blindly." She warned. 

"The leaders of each team are the top of their class, generals and lords in the mortal worlds. They've repeated the cycle of death and rebirth many times, honing their latent talents of combat." She concluded. "You have until the end of this arena session to slay him. Die as many times as you wish, but don't expect anyone to return your weapons and equipment."

The slug frowned, but he didn't seem angry. Merely disappointed, more in himself than in woody in particular, his stubby ears atop his fat head folding back just a little.  

"I understand your apprehension. It's quite a commitment, leaving behind your old life to begin a new one. I don't expect an answer from you immediately of course... but consider it. Tartarus is in need of someone like you... as is our family." He added, shifting a little and sending ripples through the muck. "You'd have your own world here, those who would want to see your visions for the future come to fruition, and be among those who care and value what you are. Once more, you could end the pain and suffering that is so prevalent here..."  

"But... no need to concern yourself about a final decision yet. There is plenty of time, decades even!" Pestilence bellowed light heatedly. 

• Brohoof 1

Maple smiled back "Alright, Thanks for this by the way." Maple said before strapping her bow across her back and flying off to get somewhere she could see this Blood team leader. "Maybe War will like me if I pull this off... Nah only way she'd like me is if I could somehow do magic at the same level as woody." She realized she was talking to herself and stopped flying silently the rest of the way there. She landed on an overviewing ledge watching for movement. Waiting for her chance to find the leader.

Woody looked at how disappointed Slug was and felt bad, He wanted to go home and be with his dad, who he still had no negative opinion of, and his mom plus Maple too. What he wanted seemed so selfish though... What slug wanted was for Woody to embrace his true nature and become a God, bringing peace and prosperity, not only to the realm its self but to the other half of his family. One thing was bothering him about it though. "So if I was to do this... I wouldn't be able to go home, right. If not because someone would try to kill me but also because if I made it back our father would try to kill me... Right?" He sounded like he was about to cry at even the mention of Discord killing him.

• Brohoof 1

Life was never so simple. Skirmishes had already erupted across the range, the four teams battling out in random locations on natural and unnatural bridges, ridges, and small plateaus along with the entrances to the intricate cave system hidden within the mountains and giant stalactites. Some warriors found themselves falling to their doom without waving their swords a single time due to the treacherous terrain. The impressive fortress in the center of the battlefield seemed to be the focal point, the hill all four teams had invariably converged on with great numbers, fighting in and around it. There didn't seem to be any sign of any leader, nor did anyone besides giant mammoths and dragons stand out much.

As Maple continued to examine the battlefield below for her prey, the sound of wind against feathery wings from above cut over the distant fighting below. With little time to react, a large griffon came down on Maple with paws aimed at kicking her out of the sky, slamming into the bat's back. 

Slug returned Woody's sad look with an apologetic one of his own. "I'm afraid my mind is stuck in epochs past. I don't know how his mind fares in this day and age, I can only recall him the day I rebelled against him, the first in our family to do so all those years ago. While I can't make this claim for the others in good faith, I can say he never sought to destroy me. There would be nothing but your own fears to keep you from visiting your loved ones back in the outer world, brother, but there is a great danger that awaits us at all times should we travel there alone." 

He sounded genuinely concerned about his last statement. The rat over in the corner looked up, worried about his master apparent fears, something one likely would never see on any normal occasions from the gods of chaos. 

• Brohoof 1

Maple once she heard the flapping of wings braced to dodge any attack and was able to avoid them, Maple shot at the griffon after unslinging her bow firing slight ahead of the direction they where moving in order to actually hit them.

"Dad's been a lot more kind then when you last met him." Woody said "Or at least I'd assume so. He's got friends now and he got married... Again?" Woody noticed his fear too "Great danger? I'm guessing more dangerous than you all killing each other. So what could possibly be more intimidating than another god?"

• Brohoof 1

The griffon bought up a wooden shield, absorbing the arrow, but just barely. It stuck halfway through his shield, but he was no less deterred. Still close to her, he brought his clever like sword to bear, swiping at maple in the air. 

This fighter was from the orange team it seemed, wearing lighter leather armor with little protection from direct attacks other than the shield. He did sport metal gauntlets and grieves however. From where he was flying, Maple could spot to yellow team fighters approaching from behind him, two sphinxes with bows. Neither one seemed interested in negotiating as the hovered there in mid air, waiting for either the griffon or Maple to kill the other. 

Pestilence gave a concerned look, his face twisting a little at what troubled him. "The elements of order and harmony. They can't destroy us... but they can do things to us just as bad. You know what happened to father... that was just the tip of the iceberg to what they're capable of. They have no power here, but they will surely activate should we travel to the outerworld with our godly powers." 

• Brohoof 1

Maple quickly dived to avoid the sword firing another arrow, before glancing at the other two from the yellow team She shifted her aim at them firing two consecutive and quick shots at them since they were just going to shoot whoever won between her and the griffon.

"The Elements... Wait that's it?" Woody said confused "Mom was one of the element bearers and she told me that they had to put them into a tree?" He sounded like he didn't believe it "Anyways, They did to stop some evil tree, dad planted by accident. They don't have those anymore..." Woody then glared at him "Of course I trust you aren't going to do anything drastic knowing that. The elements wouldn't do anything against you anyways as long as you don't have... evil plans."

• Brohoof 1

One of the sphinxes took the arrow hard to the chest, falling out of the sky in an instant. They other was a little more prepared and only took a grazing shot, then began to knock an arrow to fire. Meanwhile, the griffon continued wiping at Maple haphazardly and with furious intent. He had a mad and insane look in his eyes, smiling and wide eyed like a mad beast. He was fast with his swipes, threatening to slice one of Maple's wings. 

Pest blinked in surprise at that knowledge, but shook his head no at the suggestion he was planning something nefarious. And yet, he tapped his lower lip in thought for a few moments. 

"No, but if that was the case, how could they overpower father?" He shook his head, trying to make sense of it. "I'll have to... investigate this claim more thoroughly later. However, I still fear they would somehow return in some way to harm us. Perhaps my fear is unfounded now..."

• Brohoof 1

Maple dodged his strikees as they where mostly sloppy the last of his swings she blocked with her bow, pulled the string back and released the arrow into their leg which was holding the weapon before diving low again making her harder to shoot. As she aimed at the other sphinx carefully.

Woody sighed "I didn't expect you to believe me, It's ok you don't but, They used them on Father while he was evil now he's helping Equestira so they trust him enough to not worry about overpowering him. He's on the side of Harmony now as that's what path he's been trying to keep me on though I had no idea you all existed and if I had before I would have visited sooner." He chuckled

• Brohoof 1

The griffon dropped his weapon as expected, the arrow now sticking halfway out either end of his arm. He roared, before trying to fly back and ascend while attempting to pull the arrow loose. 

Meanwhile, the sphinx had already fired an arrow at Maple, missing in the process. She knocked a second arrow, pulling back to gain some more distance from her and the bat. Predictably, she took aim again and fired a second time, this time with much greater velocity. 

"No no, I believe you," Pest replied quickly and assuredly. "It's just... difficult to comprehend, something so simple rendering the elements... unavailable. Since we were born, we feared one of the few powers that could best us. Despite my hatred of him, father was the only one brave and strong enough to travel to the outer world. Clearly his strength wasn't enough, and that solidified our fears of the elements. We are, after all, gods of chaos. I'm sure you can grasp the friction that exists naturally between the elements and us." 

• Brohoof 1

Maple avoided the arrow with ease since the sphinx hadn't expected her to move she then closed in on the sphinx as they were between shots and fired an arrow of her own slightly left of them expecting them to avoid where they expected her to shoot trying to trick them into it.

Woody nodded to his older brother "I understand that. Me, however, I expect you to understand why I feel ok around them since my mother is one I feel I have nothing to fear. She wouldn't do something like that to me... Well, I think so at least but they shouldn't have to use them on me." He smiled to Slug. "About that thing you said... Me making the place brighter... It won't start with me becoming a god like all of you. First you, War, Salacious, and Shadows will have to start getting along. If you all manage to do that... I'll move in with you 4! Sound like a deal?" He held out a paw but he was rather distant.

• Brohoof 1

The arrow hit the left side of the sphinx's left breastplate, punching through the light armor. She began to fall out of the sky, trying to recover but having difficulty. 

Suddenly the furious insane griffon wrapped his arms and legs around Maple, taking her into a powerful choke hold while squeezing her wings and legs together with his comparatively greater strength. They both began to plummet to the ground, the griffon squeezing the bat and tearing at her ears with his beak in an attempt to bite anything he possibly could. 

Pest was taken back by Woody's forwardness, giving the little draconequus a condescending look for only a brief moment. The giant slug seemed mostly incapable of being angry for long. 

"Sounds a reasonable deal." Pest gave a wide smile. "While I can't speak for War or Salacious, I can speak for myself. i have no qualms with such a deal, in fact, I endorse it. However, I'm not the one you must convince. Shadows will be your greatest challenge. He is an arrogant youth, bent on controlling everything that exists. Every word, every thought he instills in your mind, is nothing more than a lie. Even now he plots to control both mortals and nature, where both should clearly live upon their own free will. If you've met him, no doubt he's tried to manipulate you, and lie to you for his own end."

• Brohoof 1

Maple cheered silently when the arrow hit the Sphinx, but after the griffon grabbed her, she wasn't sure what to do in this situation. She did the only thing she could think of shifting her weight to flip over before they hit the ground so the griffon would hit first. Hoping it would work.

When Slug commented on Shadows plotting to control Morals and nature, Woody took a step back, horror in his eyes as he realized something "W...Wait..." Did... Did he use me? He thought to himself Shadows seemed like he had a noble cause but what if he's trying to get them together so he can manipulate everything. H... He told me that he manipulated things to get me here... And he did to get me to use my kind nature to get me to help him with his plan... He tried to... USE ME. Woody snapped back to reality now with a fire in his eyes "Thank you for the talk brother. I have other matters to discuss with the others. I may return if things get touchy so goodbye for now." HE opened a portal with little effort and walked into the hallways he met Shadows in, Growling audibly.

• Brohoof 1

Instead of hitting the ground, the two hurdled into a watery lake below. The griffon maintained his grip as they sunk deeper and deeper into the water, the bird and his equipment fairly heavy all together. He only tightened his grip the deeper they went, slowly choking the life out of her, and forcing her to gulp the water. Eventually, her sight began to fade...

Just as quickly as she fell unconscious, awoke to find herself in the very hall War had destroyed earlier in their little fight. Now, however, it was repaired as if nothing ever happened, long tables running down the center, and pyres burning brightly. War was sitting at the very end, chomping down on a giant leg of meat. There were already a few warriors around her laughing and joking with one another while eating at the table. 

War looked up, the leg of cooked meat half in her mouth. "Bah h aha!" She laughed, before putting it down. "It hasn't even been half an hour yet! Maybe next time you won't fly alone above a battlefield. Quite the target, aren't you? I can tell you have... a great deal of experience in a war zone..."

Beside her, the griffon that had taken her down was busy stretching. He didn't seem to care the mare was right beside him, missing her weapon and gear.

"Sorry," The griffon said, nudging Maple rather hard. "I'm not usually a death grip kind of bird, just really wanted to feast in the great hall!" 

Shadow's appeared behind Woody. He remained just as neutral in appearance as the first time they had met, tilting his head in curiosity at Woody's apparent frustration. 

"What troubles you brother?" He asked in his usual whispery way. 

• Brohoof 1

Maple sighed "Whatever... 1. I had to fly alone I had no allies at all. 2. I do have experience. Just probably not as much as these few and 3. It really isn't my fault the griffon was suicidal... In a way..." She sighed "Well I guess that means I'll have to double my training." She said with a sigh "Can't protect my home if I die 3 minutes in... I'm going to find Woody if your 'Followers' Have such a disregard for their own life there's not a point in fighting to win. Of course, they are strong I'll give them merit," She nudged the griffon back, "but with no integrity, it's only half real strength." The bat pony started to walk off with clearly no Idea where she was going.

Woody looked at him for a second eventually he said "You... Trouble me." He said holding back his true anger "You told me that you manipulated something... to bring me here... And you told me it was to bring the family I never knew I had back together... WHY!" He shouted the last word. "You could have done it so easily... Slug... and Salacious... They both told me about how manipulative you were... Be honest with me brother... Are you manipulating me?" 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Psch... as I expected..." War scoffed. "The milk drinker from Equestria leaves at the first sign of difficulty and challenge." 

The hall went quiet as War spoke. Everyone paused mid chewing and laughing to stare at Maple. Some smiled mockingly, others rolled their eyes at the mare, while the rest shrugged knowingly and agreed with War. 

"You asked for training, and I sent you on a task to that end." She bit down on the leg, tearing a good chunk off before bringing up a mug of ale to wash it down. "Get out of here. Maybe next time your here, you'll have learned something." 

War completely dismissed Maple's desire to leave, merely waving her off as she started to walk out. The griffon looked at the food, then maple, then the food again before moving at a brisk pace to catch up with Maple for a moment. 

"So ah, you stand out a lot... you know. Yellow, no colors on, we were told if we slay you in battle, we'll be given a spot this week at the table." He explained as he placed a talon on Maple to get her attention. "Everyone wants in on that."

Shadows tilted his head, quirking a brow at the question. "I made no efforts to hide my methods from you. I never made any claim to the contrary. If asking for your help is me using you, then yes. I did."

The raven started walking past Woody, expecting him to follow. "And I told you why I needed you help. There were no lies involved. The family is fractured, is it not obvious? Our followers kill each other daily because of our bickering. So, I ask that you pause for a moment and consider what Tartarus would look like, if all four factions worked together? Demons, vicious gods, monsters cast here from the outerworlds... all of those threaten the lives of our followers on a daily basis. No, not just our followers, but all mortals."

Edited by GoldieS
  • Brohoof 1

Maple completely ignored War in return not really caring then she heard the griffon. She looked at him in a manner of what she said: "Of course you were because getting attacked by at least 3 different armies is Totally just training." Maple spoke loud enough so War could hear her. "And not telling someone that everyone's hunting them down certainly helps them get better at fighting." She looked back at her 'older sister.' "Thanks for telling me it was rigged from the start anyway..." Maple said walking away "I've got more meaningful fights to fight anyway."

Woody looked down apologetically. "R... Right sorry. I should've used my head on that one... But! I did make progress with the others. I need you to speak with Slug and promise him no more manipulations and then you and Slug will lose all the tension. If you want me to I'll go too. Since you promised you where honest then I intend to bring you all together."

• Brohoof 1

"Why are you whining so much!?" The griffon snapped. "What kind of warrior are you, is this how all Equestrian's are? There's literally no downside to dying here, and you can't handle a little challenge?"

He turned around and started back towards the table, scoffing at Maple. "What are you even doing here Equestrian? You're way out of your league."

"Is she really the best they got?" One of the creatures at the table chuckled, a bear with white stripes. "Equestria would be easy pickings, why can't we go there!?"

"What?" Shadow's snapped. "You seriously think that's what this is all about? Pest is constantly trying to undermine my efforts! Did you not listen to anything I told you? His diseases and monsters destroy entire towns!"

He shook his head no as a final answer. "Not until he apologizes for his little 'children' running a muck, and takes steps to keep them in line, and away from Salacious and I's cities."

• Brohoof 1

Maple lost her chill and decided to do things War's way, she was hot-headed like her father was anyways (Both of them) She lifted above the ground flying a bit "Please SHUT UP!" She yelled flying directly at the griffon tackling him unexpectedly, after which she flew up to the bear and bucked him in the chest finally moving closer to War. Standing right in front of her "I'm not asking your followers for training, I'm asking you. Just because I can't use magic doesn't mean I'm not your sister. So treat me like it." She put her hoof down here and now "I know I can't beat you in a fight and I know I'm not as strong as your followers but sending me into battle to die over and over is not how an Equestrian trains. I'm not asking anymore. It's a demand. Oh and maybe I could teach you and your followers a thing or two about honor." Maple felt she may have gone overboard with the last comment but

"Yes exactly. Trust me on this sometimes talking with someone is the best option. You both have differences but they can be worked through you just have to respect your brother and he has to give you the same respect back. I know please Shadows if you want this to work you've gotta. You promised you would if I needed you to meet with him you would. Slug's already agreed with me that you all should work together... For the good of the realm. It's not just something you're concerned with Shadows. But... If you don't want to listen to me that's ok. Just know that saying No to this means what you want can't happen..." Woody looked down at his last comment he didn't really know what else to say he wanted to bring them together but now it seemed to get even harder

• Brohoof 1

"YOU gain nothing from smacking dummies in a training hall!" War shouted, her voice booming and shaking the halls. "YOU don't have the discipline to train here! Leave this hall, NOW, sulk in the woods like a petulant child until your foalsitter returns." 

Then, War gave pause. She held her paw out upright, revealing the flame representing Maple's soul.

"Wait, I've made a grave mistake. I understand now. In order to train, you merely need the proper motivation. Go out and bring me the head of the red team leader by the end of the week. If you don't, I extinguish your soul and banish you to oblivion. Succeed, and I'll return it to you." She stated calmly. "No exceptions. No excuses."

Shadow's turned around, staring at Woody with a scowl for a moment. He looked him up and down in thought, before relaxing his stance. 

"So be it. However, not now. I have business to attend to. Shortly. In the main hall, once you've convinced the others to meet together as one, I will be there." He agreed. "Is that acceptable?"

• Brohoof 1

Maple sighed It's like she's not even listening...  "I don't gain anything from hitting practice targets. True." Maple said angrily. A word of her stuck and bothered Maple but she just tried to ignore it "Look... I'm asking you to correct my form so to speak. It's apparent that there are flaws in the way I fight and I have several weak spots. If said things are not told to me then I cannot fix them. I'm not asking to hit practice Dummies. I'm asking you War for you to educate me more so on the more advanced parts of the basics. And am I the one who lacks discipline? Because rather than help me with my obvious problem you're just going to make me leave here and die over and over. Also, your threat doesn't mean much... Woody will return soon anyways... I mean unless he forgot about me in which case I don't care to be alive at that point." Maple turned and walked to the door before saying. "Maybe dad had a point in never speaking of you all to us. You're just as boneheaded as your followers." She sighed audibly "I'm going to take out the leader. Mark those words," She figured it was the only way to get her to at least somewhat respect her I don't know how without my weapons but I'll figure something out." Maple left and slammed the door loudly on her way out. Once outside she meditated a bit she needed to focus rather than charge after the blood leader again. She examined the battlefield watching where engagement popped up and decided to fly again, reluctantly. She was lower this time, avoiding crevices where she could so she was always above ground. She listened carefully for any sound of a winged foe approaching.

Woody was about to object but he realized that It was a better if all 4 of them spoke at once. "Yea. Sounds perfect! I'll go get War and Salacious too! I can do this!" He said believing in himself as he opened another portal "This won't take me too long so I'll call upon you soon. I'll head to War first and wash off before heading to Salacious." He was smiling telling himself that this wouldn't be as hard as he thought. It did seem like Slug hated Shadows and vice versa, And War and Salacious hated each other so at least it wasn't a huge tangled net of hate and distrust so making them all meet was going to be the just 2 groups of 2 having hopefully civilized discussions. He stepped into the Hall he was impressed to see it was already fixed. "I'm back." He announced to War "Thank you for putting up with Maple while I was there. I know already she was probably causing you trouble as she was when I left..."

• Brohoof 1

Out back in the cold, she was a little safer flying lower to the ground. Most of the roving air patrols were flying above her, scouting out the terrain. From how high up they were, they looked like they were literally looking for a fight. 

Maple's bow was sitting along the banks of the river she had fallen in, easy to spot by the bat as she neared the location. Beside them, decked out in her equipment, was her apparently sun bleached skeleton. Two yellow team warriors were examining the gear and weapon, unaware of Maple's approach. One was a light armored ranger grey wolf, while the other was was a tanky looking bull in full spiky plates. 

"Doesn't look like spider string..." The wolf commented. "But it's tough, guess whatever idiot died didn't get the forge master to give the bow a never lost enchantment."

War blinked in surprise at Woody's sudden and quick return. She was in the middle of tearing apart a piece of bread in one hand, and a piece of cheese in the other. There were half a dozen warriors sitting at the table before her as she sat atop her simple wooden throne upon a small daze. Further down the line of tables was a window, or portal of some sort, much like a movie screen. On it, was Maple along with visions of half a dozen other fighters viciously fighting away. 

"That was... fast." War commented with her mouth full, swallowing. "What happened? Couldn't stomach Pest's stories?"

War chuckled before gesturing to the screen. "No, she's no trouble at all. Good warrior, I like her. She wants to be a champion level fighter, so I sent her out to learn through experience. Told her I'd banish her soul if she failed..." 

War laughed, along with the others at the table. "Don't get all touchy, I'd never extinguish someone's soul. It's... beyond heinous, no matter the creature. No one deserves that. Never become like Salacious, little brother."

• Brohoof 1

Maple couldn't engage the two without her bow. She'd need a weapon at least... Perhaps the katars she kept in her armor... but she'd have to get close to grab them. She'd just have to wait for now. She layed near the two in an outcrop of rocks waiting on them to leave her armor there or at least a chance for her to get close. She noted that she'd have to talk to Woody about him giving her bow the 'never lost' enchantment.

"Actually Pest got straight to the point." Woody was about to angrily lecture about that but he sighed and smiled when she said she'd never do that. "Actually, War... I've noticed... Problems between you and Salacious, And similar problems with Slug and Shadows. I made a deal with Slug, to move into Tartarus with you 4. Of course, my end of the bargin was for you four to start treating each other better." He said being direct. Unlike with salacious where he'd need to 'sweet talk' her into this. "So... I need you to visit the main room I was dropped in originally in about... an hour or so? 

• Brohoof 1

They didn't notice her, nor did either one show any interest in her armor. They were already fairly well geared, but the wolf was definitely interested in her bow. Neither one saw her as she remained hidden among the rocks. After a few more moments, they decided to leave with her bow, not realizing the weapons hidden within her armor somehow. Both passed right by her hiding spot without noticing her, turning a corner into a craggy miniature canyon. 

War rose a brow at Woody's suggestion Salacious and her relationship wasn't exactly on positive terms. "Really now?" She replied sarcastically. 

"Sally is an arrogant witch who tortures anything smaller than her. She devours souls merely for the enjoyment of it! It's not that I don't like her, I HATE HER! I will never treat her with any level of respect." War concluded, crossing her arms and huffing, tendrils of smoke rising from her flaring nostrils. 

• Brohoof 1

Maple ran over and quickly put her armor back on slipping the katar out and putting them on her hooves, after swinging with them to make sure the weight was still good on them she smiled and ran at the two who took her bow sticking the wolf in the back and moving her weapon up through it tossing the wolf over her. "Don't touch that." She said, mostly to herself.

"Actually sister... Salacious isn't exactly like that. She's very defensive of her followers unlike you..." Woody said "You prefer they do it themselves. Salacious is really nice to hers giving them a second chance at life and giving them things to do if they don't want to be reincarnated. She does things like that to ponies who get sacrificed to her, Or that's what she told me..." HE said the last part quietly but was still heard.

• Brohoof 1