Marks and Recreation  

96 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• THIS EPISODE WAS JUST AS BAD AS CUTIE MARKS!!! :eww:
    • I really didn't enjoy this episode... :sunny:
    • This episode was...meh.. :mellow:
    • I thought the episode was good...not great tho... :grin:
    • I JUST GOT MY CUTIE MARK IN EPISODE PRAISE!!!! :yay:

For a long time, when I thought of Rumble, I always thought of the version of him seen in fan fiction. Usually as an adult trying to follow his brother's example. (Most of the other fanfics I read involving him are more T-rated, so let's put all that aside). Actually, that's the only thing Canon Rumble has in common with the Fanon Rumble: His want to emulate his brother. Also, every fan fiction I personally read so far involving him being a teen or adult doesn't even mention what his possible cutie mark would look like, since the Mark was never the focus in any of those stories.

What do you guys think?

I expected this episode to be good. I wasn't expecting it to become S7's third-best episode.

Everyone was excellent here, starting with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Out of every character seen in this series, they grew the most. This episode is no exception. Each of them become teachers to friendship and guides to finding others' cutie marks and, thus, biggest passions. But throughout the series, we never had a moment, character, or episode where they outright reject finding their cutie mark. Rumble's crusade against cutie marks is the first time the show tackles this issue, and the CMCs had to come up with the right solution to snap Rumble out of it. Of the three CMCs, Sweetie Belle was the breakout by screaming at Rumble, showing how sick she was of his anti-Mark pursuit.

Speaking of Rumble, the Hascon preview was really in your face about why blank flanks should refuse the mark quest. Now that the episode fully aired, there's a bunch of context why. From the beginning of Act 1, he outright feared getting his mark (and used his love for flying as a distraction mechanism and piled as many excuses and "whoopsies" to retain his blank flank status. His motivations are clear and thrust his misguided perceptions of them upon both other blank flanks and Kettle Corn. Yet, despite being written in the wrong, like Pharynx from To Change a Changeling, both sides have a point. At no point does DHX invalidate Rumble's misgivings. When Apple Bloom explains how much she enjoys potion-creating with Zecora, he asks her when she last did it, which she couldn't answer. Wondering whether their mark will determine their passions and hobbies will be have been a question bronies have wondered for years; May Chan and DHX at large constructively wove it into the canon and create a solid conclusion.

Yet, despite the CMCs' anger, they were never truly angry at him. At worst, they were annoyed at Rumble for his misguidance and angry at how he sabotaged the Cutie Mark Day Camp. They showed care for Rumble for the entire time and just wanted him to snap out of it. Their solution to solve the problem was extremely proactive, fitting in the friendly theme. Thunderlane had his best appearance yet, and how he worked with the CMCs to prove to everyone, including his li'l bro, that having a cutie mark or searching for one doesn't mean you have to actually give up what you love doing. It took a little bit of time, but when the obstacle course was announced, and he saw TL's passion for cooking, he finally turned the corner. It was also very smart of DHX to not give him his mark: Finding that special mark is a quest, but it doesn't what defines you.

This is easily one of the best episodes of the entire season.

• Brohoof 9

3 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

At no point does DHX invalidate Rumble's misgivings. When Apple Bloom explains how much she enjoys potion-creating with Zecora, he asks her when she last did it, which she couldn't answer.

But that is of her own choice, because of something she loves and has chosen to do. Rumble appears to believe that a cutie mark will magically cause someone to become busy, which DHX rapidly establishes is not the case.

• Brohoof 1

i really loved this episode!! it was adorable! i love the CMCs, they're great characters and i think this was a great way to give them some more characterization. plus they brought some new songs to this episode so that's always good. i hope we get to see rumble get his cutie mark in a later episode though. overall though i very much enjoyed this episode a lot and i'm glad we got some more CMC screentime!

• Brohoof 1

BLANK FLANK FOEVERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

My impression of this ep is really good, there arent any noticable flaws, even nitpicking is hard, May Chan redeemed herself after that dull Not Asking For Trouble (to me). I enjoyed this ep a lot but there are something more i expected from it, Rumble is more in the wrong than CMC (Unlike Pharynx), the episode treat him like an antagonist, who ruined everyone's fun, but still i am glad he didnt get cutie mark in the end, he joined the camp again and try new things but not get cutie marks right away, he will have a long journey to finding his identity, a perfect finishing move of the episode. Not too many exciting moments, plot twists or funny gag but this ep is far from boringness, never look away from the screen at any moment. 8.5/10 (could be better if they raised the stake more and Rumble is not being a jerk all the time, even his reasonings are not bad, the writer still treat him more in wrong, because CMC DIDNT LEARN ANYTHING FROM HIM AT ALL, because getting cutie marks is PERFECTLY RIGHT and They had Cutie Marks so they are not in the wrong any slightest, maybe i just expect more balance between 2 parties)

Random: I dont know why, but Rumble's song remind me of Ducktales opening song...

Wasted potential is worse than no potential.

That's what this episode is. They had plenty of opportunity to address these inconsistencies regarding cutie marks and their purposes. But they pretty much handled it in the exact opposite way. In fact, the episode basically reinforced my hatred for those things. I will acknowledge that both arguments held equal good and bad points, but the conclusion, although really predictable from the start and I wish I hadn't raised my vague hopes now, just ruined it all for me.

I'm not gonna try starting any heated discussion regarding cutie marks, but now this episode just justified everything I can't stand about them and exemplified that contempt. Probably my least favourite of the season thus far.

Some of you really like this notion of characters shifting into mentor roles, and I don't understand why at all, because it makes characters more boring every single time. Every single time. I don't find characters acting primarily as moral examples to be entertaining, so I wanted way more doubt and bad decision making in this, because as is it feels very cold. The Venn diagram of this episode and things I care about would have very little overlap. 

Full review at my blog.

• Brohoof 1

Really didn't feel it at first, but it was actually a very enjoyable. And to date, is it the only episode about the fact a cutie mark could oblige somepony to do the same thing for the rest of their live? Because it's a pretty important thing in MLP, and this episode proved it wasn't true.

On a side note, Rumble's voice reaaaaaaaaally changed from Hurricane Fluttershy.

2 hours ago, Blobulle said:

Really didn't feel it at first, but it was actually a very enjoyable. And to date, is it the only episode about the fact a cutie mark could oblige somepony to do the same thing for the rest of their live? Because it's a pretty important thing in MLP, and this episode proved it wasn't true.

On a side note, Rumble's voice reaaaaaaaaally changed from Hurricane Fluttershy.

Rumble's voicing was done by Flash Sentry's Voice Actor in this episode, before it was actually done by Ashleigh Ball.

Hey Everybrony it's me WubBeast I have returned once again from the dead and for the lastest episode marks and recreations I liked it and it was also  good  bringing back Rumble a that didn't have a lot of screen time it was also good of seeing Thunder Lane again but it was also a good idea to explore Rumble's reasons of why he didn't want his cutie mark it was a great idea  and the song blank flanks was great I can't wait for the next episode

I wasn't looking forward to this episode, both because I don't look forward to CMC episodes in general, and because I was worried about how they might force Rumble, but they played it well, another great episode this season. Mainly what I liked it Rumble, he's a punk, but he's both cool and insecure, his character was well-fleshed out. Also, they finally sorted out the questions fans have been having about Cutie Mark Existential Drama.  

6 hours ago, Blobulle said:

Magical Mystery Cure had that implication (What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me), which is one reason among many it's probably the worst episode in the series. 

• Brohoof 1

I really liked this episode. It was cool to see how the Crusader's came up with the Cutie Mark Day Camp. I was expecting a call back to their camp from "Fame and Misfortune," but I don't think it was ever brought up. It's still cool to see they went through with the summer camp. It was pretty cool to see Thunderlane and Rumble. It was cool for the brothers to get voices and their voices fit pretty well. It was also pretty neat to see that Thunderlane is a wonderbolt. At first, I was wondering why Rumble wasn't trying in the camp activities. However, as the episode went on I could understand why he acted the way he did. It was interesting to see that he liked flying, but was afraid he would get a talent that wouldn't relate to flying. It seemed like Rumble wanted to be like his older brother, but still unique in his own way, in my opinion. It was surprising to hear him say that he didn't want to get a cutie mark. I liked how the crusaders tried to help Rumble and it was good to get Rumble's reasons in the end. I liked how Thunderlane was the special guest at the camp instead of Rainbow, Soarin, or any of the other wonderbolts. I guess since Rumble is his brother, then it would help Rumble to get a better understanding, or something along those lines. All in all, I thought the episode was enjoyable and the song was pretty good. I hope we get to see more of Rumble, Thunderlane and the summer camp in future episodes. :) 

I enjoyed it pretty well. Even if it's kind of similar to different things they've talked about before with cutie marks it approached the subject in an entertaining manner. I guess I always find it reassuring when the writers take the side of cutie marks not determining everything about a character's fate, but the show does continue to be confusing going back and forth on the message. Still don't really like the idea of cutie marks even with the flexibility, but I lean anarchistic so lol, whatever it's never going to go far enough to satisfy me on that.

Anyways, The side characters added lots of their own entertaining bits. Enjoyed the circle drawing pony bits. It's kind of funny how consistently Pip has become this trend-chasing hanger on character for all of his disparate appearances. Good use of characters over all.

I don't get super hyped up about CMC appearances and I don't think this episode in particular has new implications for the characters in any way so, uh...nothing more to say. I'm just happy to be here.

• Brohoof 1

I thought it was a good episode, though I was bothered by the fact that Thunderlane was a wonder bolt (I have a feeling it was because of plot convince). I also didn't really care for the song a whole lot either, but it was a good episode overall, and I definitely thought it was a successful episode for the CMC's.   

cmc's.jpeg

This speaks nothing about the episode's quality but....I didn't enjoy this episode. In fact, I simply couldn't enjoy it. Let me explain. Anyone that knows me knows that I suffer from hardcore confidence problems and self-hatred. I feel useless in life. I feel like my life is a total waste. Like I have nothing to offer the world that matters. I will be 25 in December and these feels are getting worse and worse in time.

One thing people have constantly told me is exactly what this episode preaches, trying out a bunch of random shit until I find some new passion. Thing is, I have always had a lot of issues with the idea. Firstly, I already have hobbies, even if I struggle to enjoy them because of depression and anxiety. Secondly, I can barely enjoy anything I do now, so it isn't like randomly trying new stuff will just fix that. Third, I can barely manage my life as it is. I am terrible at life. I have constant anxiety, I can't drive as a result, I am constantly trying to balance my enjoyments to me actually justifying myself useless existence since I can't work at a job, so I barely can even fit all of these things into any given day since I am constantly jumping back and forth and even then, most of the time I am not even happy because of the other problems.

Then comes along an episode about a young pony who eventually not only realizes what he is great at, but he is perfectly fine with doing all of that other stuff by the end. Me, someone that is almost 25, can't even fucking drive without a panic attack and I struggle with even enjoying basic things. I am that much of a stupid, goddamn pile of putrid shit? I want to enjoy my life, I want to be happy, but all I get are reminders that I am different. Extremely flawed to the point of sheer uselessness. I can barely do anything right, but that's when I am doing any of my hobbies. Beyond that, I am not on the same level as 99% of people in this world, who are able to manage going to work each day and still enjoying things. I can barely enjoy anything even with all the time in the world to do it. On top of this, I barely have any offline friends left. They don't want to hang out with me anymore, I've noticed they are constantly hanging out with each other without me, because I am more simple and do more simple things and I am probably annoying too, even if I don't mean to be. Things stress me out easily, but I didn't ask for that. I didn't want to be born with mental problems out my ass. People tell me to meet new people then to hang out with. Kinda difficult for someone who lives in a tiny town, cannot drive, and has problems properly socializing and meeting people, on top of all the other issues. Some people might think I am making excuses, but I really am not. It is just how things are and I wish I was someone different. Someone else. I wish I wasn't born to be who I am, to have all of the issues I do. Now I am becoming more and more scared that my life is quickly passing me by and I keep running in circles desperately trying to enjoy things AND justify my existence while also worrying every waking second over shit like getting cancer or being rejected socially on these forums.

I apologize for such a long, tedious and emotional post, but that is how I feel after this episode. I watched it, and now I am in tears thinking that my life is simply a waste and all I am doing is getting nowhere. I want to be happy, that's all I want, but all of this is piling on year after year and then I get this episode that reminds me that, other then chatting with my boyfriend or friends here, everything else is leading to nothing. I was thinking of booting up my Xbox One to maybe play a game, since that is one of my favorite things to do, but right now, I am not seeing the point.

Sorry if I annoyed any of you with this stuff, this episode hit me in ways I didn't expect it to.

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

I thought it was a good episode, though I was bothered by the fact that Thunderlane was a wonder bolt (I have a feeling it was because of plot convince). I also didn't really care for the song a whole lot either, but it was a good episode overall, and I definitely thought it was a successful episode for the CMC's.   

cmc's.jpeg

They actually seeded the fact he was a Bolt earlier in the season during Parental Glideance. You saw him in uniform in the main locker room. 

full.png

Many of this seasons episodes reference each other. 

• Brohoof 3

It's amazing to me to think how different the CMC are pre and post Crusaders of the Lost Mark. It's like they went from stupid and annoying to professional and awesome. Okay, maybe it's a little harsh to say they were stupid, but it's no secret that I wasn't a fan of CMC episodes in the earlier seasons. Every time we had an episode like Show Stoppers, I'd be all:

But my, how the times they have a changelinged. Now when I see that it's going to be a CMC episode, I'm like:

59d1c406a1931_Rainbowgringif.gif.de5e15d8d8c8a074f03b49cd06828ceb.gif

I love the CMC episodes now. It's like, you just can't go wrong with CMC. I think it's remarkable that an aspect of the show I didn't care much for has improved and transformed so much. Back in the day, I would have predicted that the CMC would never even get their marks before show's end, and that if they did, it would ruin it. I never would have guessed that it would work so well.

So, enough rambling preamble. I really enjoyed this episode. Although it wasn't the most exciting or emotional episode, I personally liked it because it did a lot to further cement my theory of how cutie marks work. If you're interested, you can read about it here. So, perhaps I'm tooting my own horn a bit, here. Oh well. I really like how they've continued to handle the subject of cutie marks, showing time and again that marks are just a representation of who the pony believes themselves to be, and that there is simply no such thing as “getting the wrong mark”, or getting a mark that you're unhappy with. And yet, there are still ponies who are afraid of this, which is a relatable problem to real life. It seems to me that Equestria could use more education about how cutie marks work, so that foals are less worried about what their marks will be. The CMC fill a vital role now, and their work is definitely needed.

I'm actually surprised that Rumble didn't get his mark by episode's end. Given FIM's tendency to rush things a bit so that stories are wrapped up time, I expected him to get a flying related mark once his brother came to camp. Then when Rumble tried cooking, I expected him to instantly get a cooking mark. It was a refreshing surprise that they left it at a rather abrupt and ambiguous ending. I liked that. More realistic. But still, I kind of have mixed feelings, because I think it would have been neat if he got a mark that specifically represented that which was important to him—not being tied down to any one path. It would have been great if he had said, “I never want to be tied down. I want to be able to do anything, and that's who I am,” and right at that moment, he gets a mark to represent being a jack-of-all-trades. (No idea what that would look like, though.) That would have been the ultimate irony, and proof to him, and to everyone else, that there is no such thing as getting the wrong mark, and that marks are merely a representation of who the pony feels they are. In case you didn't read that post I linked, I'll just re-sum it up in a couple sentences: marks have nothing to do with talent whatsoever. They have only to do with what the pony believes themselves to be (although it's usually something they excel at as well). It has been conclusively demonstrated that marks do not appear in direct response to an exhibition of talent, but rather when a pony decides that this is who they are, and this is what they want to do. Whether the pony states anything aloud to this effect or not is irrelevant. Marks are based on belief about oneself, and appear at a moment of self-realization. So, that's why I would have liked to see Rumble get a jack-of-all-trades mark, because it would have been a great and ironic way to prove to himself what the nature of cutie marks are, and how it is impossible to get trapped in a box, as he so feared. The reality is that the box is of one own choosing and construction, and is not even a box at all, but an open-ended world created by the pony's own perception. One's mark will always be what they want. Anything else is impossible.

I think it would be great if they revisited Rumble's story in the future and had him actually get his mark, and find out that it suits him perfectly, and that his worries were unfounded. Alas, I fear he was a one-time character.

The best part of the episode for me was when Apple Bloom (I think it was AB. I forget exactly who said what) was explaining how marks work, and said that just because you're talented at something and/or you like it doesn't necessarily mean that that's what your mark will be, and that there's more to it than that. Aside from serving as further evidence of my interpretation of marks (own horn, toot toot, sorry :lie:), this was an incredibly wise statement from the CMC. I think it shows a tremendous amount of personal growth, and to me it sort of reflects what Luna taught to AB in Bloom and Gloom.

There are two things that I really wish we could get that would greatly expand and cement the cutie mark lore, but I know they will never happen. One is an adult blank flank, which I think most of us would absolutely love to see, as it would be so relatable to real life. The other is to see a cutie mark change. I'm not going to reiterate my theory on why I believe cutie marks can indeed change. If you're interested, read that post I linked earlier. But the point is, I'd love to see a character, almost certainly an adult, whose beliefs about who they are and what they're meant to be change, and the mark changes as a result. I think a reformed villain who is helped by the CMC would be an ideal candidate for this story. That is probably the episode I'd love to see more than any other.

Let's see, a few trivial notes—I think this episode has the unique distinction of being the first and only episode where not a single one of the mane 6 were ever featured. I could be wrong about that, though. Perhaps Show Stoppers, perhaps On Your Marks. I'm too lazy to go back and re-watch them right now. Um...I thought it was awesome that we saw a bit of Thunderlane, a previously undeveloped background character that we knew nothing about, except that he flies. I think it's cool that he became a 'bolt. It adds an element of realism to know that the 'bolts don't begin and end with Spitfire and Rainbow. I loved how they used Camp Friendship for their day camp. It was neat how the CMC used the same stage where Ra-Ra sang. I loved how Thunderlane helped Pip build a replica of Twilight's castle out of sticks or whatever those were. That was a cute and clever Easter egg, and it shows how ponies still look up to Twilight as an amazing celebrity.

I think that's about it. I really liked the episode, but “Blank Flanks Forever” gets my award for the worst and most forgettable song in the series. At first I wasn't even sure if it was supposed to be a song...

...OMG. I just had a brilliant idea. Totally random tangent, but you know what they should have called the episode, The Cutie Map? Cutie Marxism. Lol. Wouldn't that be hilarious? Maybe too controversial...

Overall, I might consider this episode somewhat of a step down from last week's "A Health of Information" - again, there's not really anything egregiously wrong with it, but it doesn't really do too much to hold my interest, either. This episode brings up some interesting questions about cutie marks, but I don't feel like the episode does much to really answer those questions. While I understand where Rumble's arguments and concerns are coming from, it's hard for me to be very invested in what he does, since we don't know much about him and his backstory. And while there are a few good small things - e.g., I can poke fun at Rumble being the leader of a cult, and it's nice to see Thunderlane as a Wonderbolt and having a foreground role - I feel that this episode is a bit lacking in the little cute/funny/interesting moments that most episodes have.

First, this episode brings up some of the issues and confusion around cutie marks, and the episode might try to address them, but I didn't feel very satisfied with the end result. Rumble's primary thing he wants/likes/has a talent to do is flying, but he's afraid that he'll get a cutie mark in something else that will prevent him from being able to do that. But how could Rumble get a cutie mark that would prevent him from doing that? Aren't ponies supposed to get cutie marks in the activity that they most want/like/have talent to do? Wouldn't it be impossible by definition to get a cutie mark in something in which one has no interest? But then, if that is the case, why are kids apparently still afraid of their cutie marks "boxing them in" to something they don't want to do?

Also, I suppose it makes sense that there isn't any cosmic force requiring ponies to do what their cutie marks say, and there isn't necessarily a social obligation to do that either, since there are plenty of cases throughout the show of ponies doing things other than what their cutie marks would seem to indicate (e.g., Hayseed Turnip Truck being a window washer). But if cutie marks "don't limit you" and "only show you what you CAN do", then what's the point of them in the first place? Why do cutie marks "make you special"? Why is it a big deal in Equestrian society to get a cutie mark? The justification of the concept of cutie marks still doesn't feel satisfactory to me.

Furthermore, it's a little grating to me that the CMC find it inconceivable that that anyone wouldn't want a cutie mark. It doesn't seem that hard to see why Rumble and the others would believe his arguments against cutie marks, and the CMC had a lot of frustration and anxiety about their cutie marks themselves. (And of course, all of us humans have to get by without any instant magical indication of what we're "meant to do".) It's also a bit frustrating that the CMC struggle to come up with rebuttals to Rumble's arguments. For instance, it appears Apple Bloom gave a bad example with the "making potions with Zecora" thing, but presumably Apple Bloom still helps around the farm. Or Scootaloo presumably still maintains an interest in scootering tricks or in following Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts. Or the CMC could have brought up other examples of ponies doing things other than what their cutie marks say in response to the "cutie marks box you in" criticism, although I guess I don't know if we can expect the CMC to think of such examples off the top of their heads. I just wonder whether, in all of their crusading and worrying about their cutie marks, the CMC considered any of Rumble's issues about cutie marks themselves. And if they did, and convinced themselves not to worry about them, then couldn't they see where Rumble's arguments come from and how they might be answered effectively?

One other bigger thing I noticed in the episode is how the CMC appear to conceive, organize, and carry out this Cutie Mark Day Camp with little, if any, adult help. First, the CMC only advertise the Cutie Mark Day Camp the day before it's supposed to start. Even if the schoolponies are off school for the summer or something, I would think that the kids and their parents would want more than a day's worth of notice to plan or make arrangements for it. Furthermore, if the CMC are only advertising the camp now, how long did they take to organize it - less than a day? I guess we don't know how much time elapsed between the opening and the first scene after the theme song, but if the CMC were planning the camp for some longer period of time, wouldn't they want to advertise it, gauge interest, and allow others to plan ahead?

Then, at the camp itself, we never see any any adult chaperones. How would the CMC have gotten the financial backers (assuming there are some to pay for use of the camp facilities, supplies, etc.), camp owners, and the kids' parents to agree to holding a day camp with no adult chaperones? Is anyone covering the liability insurance, or did the camp attendees' parents all sign waivers holding the camp and the CMC harmless for any injuries that might occur? After all, the camp attendees are kayaking out on a lake, possibly cooking jam, and doing other things with risk of injury (or even drowning). Plus, wouldn't all these concerns also apply to Rumble when he attempts to start his own camp and he's "in charge" of the camp attendees?

Now for the rest of my miscellaneous observations:

It was pretty obvious that Rumble didn't care and deliberately wasn't trying at any of the activities, and yet the CMC seem to believe that Rumble just wasn't very good at any of those things. It isn't until much later, when Thunderlane says that Rumble is actually good at their camp activities, that the CMC realize that Rumble might have been faking it.

So the stretched-taut bow string is powerful enough to propel Skeedaddle across the archery range and through the target? If so, I can't imagine how fast and forceful the arrows fired from the bow would be.

Sweetie Belle acts shocked and appalled that Kettle Corn covered her cutie mark, but then, she was going along with the other blank flanks the whole time during Rumble's song and his forming of his alternative camp.

Thunderlane says "Lemme get this straight. My little brother up-ended your ENTIRE camp? How in Equestria did he do that?", which seems to carry an implication that the CMC must be incompetent if they can't retain control of their camp. Does that lead Thunderlane, or any other kids' parents, to wonder why they're sending their kids to a camp seemingly run only by other middle-school-aged kids?

I was joking around thinking of alternative "British-isms" that Pipsqueak could say while watching the episode. So, for example, when Pip tells Skeedaddle that he's "cracking great" at horseshoes, Pip could also say that he's "bloody amazing!". Or instead of telling Rumble that his camp is "kinda boring", he could say that Rumble's camp is "a load of bollocks".

When Rumble asks Thunderlane whether he'll run the obstacle course, I kind of expected Thunderlane to say no, that's for the camp attendees, not an adult.

Finally, if the Wonderbolts take turns making the meals at Wonderbolt HQ, does that mean that they don't have dedicated mess hall staff or anything like that? Or do they have such staff, but the Wonderbolts make (at least some of) the meals anyway to "build character" or something?

• Brohoof 2

Wow. This pretty much never happens to me, but I did not enjoy this episode at all! :/ 

I think the final minutes of the episode were a saving grace for me, otherwise I was cringing throughout the episode :/ 

I missed the episode on Saturday due to a con, but I caught it tonight on The Brony Show, and I really enjoyed it.

The Crusaders decide to help multiple fillies at once instead of one-at-a-time, including Pipsqueak, but find a difficult customer in Thunderlane's little brother Rumble. When he seems to be unexcited with all the activities at Camp Friendship, and leaves later on to go watch his big brother, the Crusaders follow, and finally get the truth out of Rumble that he doesn't want to get a cutie mark, fearing that doing so will condemn him to that single activity his cutie mark represents and prevent him from doing anything else he's interested in.

Despite the Crusaders' best attempts to help him, when he gets the idea from Thunderlane that he can't be a blank flank forever, he manages to convince all the fillies at the Crusaders' camp, including Pipsqueak, to go with him to his camp. Any attempt by the Crusaders to talk the other fillies out of it fall on deaf ears, so they decide to tell Thunderlane of what happened. Learning of it, Thunderlane decides to help talk some sense into Rumble, and returns to the Crusaders' camp, where when the fillies see Thunderlane with the Crusaders, they decide to abandon Rumble to see his big brother.

After some resistance, Rumble comes over to watch his big brother as well, and is surprised to find Thunderlane cooking, despite being a Wonderbolt due to his cutie mark. Following Thunderlane explaining how he loves to cook, despite being destined for his speed and being a Wonderbolt by his cutie mark, he finally manages to convince Rumble to join him and try his hand at cooking as well, finally convincing him that he can still do what he loves, even after getting a cutie mark.

With Rumble finally having been able to overcome his fears about getting a cutie mark thanks to Thunderlane, the Crusaders consider their camp a success and another mission accomplished.

I really liked this episode, so I'll give it a 9/10 for my rating.