Register now to remove this ad.
Chuckles4lyfe

I'm afraid I am starting to lose interest in the show. Any tips on how to stay engaged and excited?

19 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well and are looking forward to the movie in a couple of weeks! It's definitely been a while since I posted on the forums here. There is something that I have been meaning to get off my chest these past couple of months. After the midseason break, I have been unable to get myself to watch new episodes of My Little Pony. This has never happened to me before. I began watching MLP back in 2012, and would always catch new episodes the Saturday it came out. I never missed an episode of Season 3, 4, 5, 6, and the 1st half of season 7.

The last episode that I watched was episode 10 (A Royal Problem) and I enjoyed it immensely! I loved Starlight, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna in that episode. Glimmy has even overtaken Rainbow Dash as my all time favorite character in the entire show! Yet for some reason, I seemed to have lost that excitement I used to get when viewing a new episode. Don't get me wrong, I still love FIM. I have posters, plushies, t-shirts, music, you name it. I used to look forward to viewing new episodes of Pony as soon as the weekend hit. I don't want to get to the point where I look at it as another task I need to do to check off my "to-do list" for the day. I haven't reached that point yet, but I feel it approaching quickly. 

I have been in the fandom for nearly 5 1/2 years. Maybe a part of it is due to fatigue and just "growing out" of the series. This is where you guys come in. Has anyone experienced something similar to this before? How have you guys stayed engaged and excited over all of these years? Any tips and advice you guys are willing to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Maybe reading fan works on deviantart could help.Some good fan comics are by Mauroz, Pia-sama's rogue diamond and Timey wimey.Or take a break from mlp.

Edited by Midnight Seashell

When this happened to me, I found other things to watch and took a break from MLP. After a while I decided to start watching the episodes I missed and I came back to the forums.

You've been a fan since 2012. You can't do something all the time for 5 years and not get tired of it or take a break (well, some people do somehow).

4 people brohoof this

I got tired of the show back in the middle of season four, there was a long line of episodes I didn't much enjoy, and I wasn't happy with how they were using Twilight, so I just stopped watching. I recently got back into the show, and I am enjoying it more now than I did before. Sometimes it's a good idea to take a break from something, you can always come back later to see how things are going.

3 people brohoof this

No one act like commissar and put a gun to your head, just take a break if you like.

2 people brohoof this

I haven't even seen season 7 yet (and I only watched 6 about a month ago when I had a free trial of Amazon Prime.) It's very much a case of I'll watch it as and when I both feel like it and it's (legally) available - if it doesn't meet one of the criteria, I don't watch it. I don't view it as a 'break' so much as being free from the mentality that a true fan watches all of the episodes immediately*. 

As to what you can do to get more enthused about watching Pony - well, the fanfiction idea is pretty good. I'd put Fallout Equestria and Days of Wasp and Spider as two really engaging stories, whilst Hard Reset is rather good and its sequels are weird in a really good way (and I burst into tears during the 'after-credits chapter' of the final one.) There's a lot of really good fan art around as well - NCMares was the artist that really brought my attention to MLP as something other than a show for little girls, and possibly the one responsible for associating it, in my mind, with really weird crossovers and settings (Ponyhammer 40K? KanPonne? Night Mares? True madness... true brilliant madness.) 

*as long as you don't mind spoilers - and it's not like MLP has many (if any) huge surprises in the way that, say, Game of Thrones does^

^

Spoiler

Though who *really* expected Sean Bean to survive?

Only one - don't.

It happens that we get bored or tired of something that once we were very interested in. Sometimes a break is necesarry and moving on to other stuff. I got bored with the show myself and I can say it is not related to growing up. It just happens. Also getting bored with show doesn't mean You have to leave Your brony friends behind. I haven't watched it for over a year and I am still here ^^ 

Forcing Yourself to like the show again won't help, quite the contrary, it will increase fatigue caused by watching something You can't appreciate and enjoy. You may actually gain interest in it back in the future, but let it be natural. In the meantime You can enjoy hundreds of other shows availible that will entertain You just as much as MLP has ^^ 

2 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

No one act like commissar and put a gun to your head, just take a break if you like.

*hides his gun awkwardly* That statement is so true! :please:

2 people brohoof this

Honesty, I like fan fiction more than the show. I still like the show, but fan fiction 'can' deal with more mature themes.

Er, nope. I have never really had that problem, yeah, some weeks I am not really excited for the next episode but that all depends on what it is. Overall I am still more excited for MLP than anything else. I got overly excited from "cool scenes" because MLP has retained it's quality is still my favorite show.

I would suggest taking a break from the show, maybe try analyzing and looking for deeper themes in episodes. I do that, I also power scale characters, I don't need to do these things, but it makes certain scenes more interesting.

I know exactly what your problem is, cause I can relate! Basically, it's best to step away from the show for a little while, that includes the fandom. Watch other shows! Maybe you'll get a kick outta them, and come back later good as new! :D

1 person brohoofs this

Sounds like you are just burnt out. I don't think you can "grow out" of it, since people of all ages enjoy it, but I do think tastes and interests can change thus making it where you do not enjoy it as much. As others have stated, just take a break... watch it when you want to. Also don't put expectations on yourself to watch it thus making it a chore... if you feel like skipping it for a few weeks, the cartoon will wait for you and be available in some format or another to catch up on, whether by re-runs, streaming, DVD etc...

Although I have yet to take a break, I also don't hype myself for the show constantly and try to sit myself down to catch every new episode... if I am home and not doing anything, I'll watch it, otherwise I'll catch it when I get around to it. I have plenty of other things that interest me to keep me occupied so that I rarely experience fatigue on a simple show.

1 person brohoofs this

maybe your being to hard on yourself forcing to love it so much to a point it feels like to much effort 
and no one likes a fandom feeling like an effort it needs to be a want to be exciting to give the kind of new album off your favourite band chills
before this, i was a fandom of a band and between albums, i would find i would explore google youtube Tumblr ect ect for new stuff new interviews new pictures
i felt i needed to be doing something whether it reading or listening to keep my fandom fresh like they where watching me like they new how religious about it i was
it all seems silly now but my point is there are different levels of fandom i have learnt from my last fandom and know that you don't need to have a college degree in my little pony to be classed as a fan studying searching its ok to be a week here a week there what count is that you like it my advice in a nutshell is to stave yourself do the opposite of forcing yourself to watch you go on a pony fast no nothing and your miss it and will come back to watching 

My suggestion is to play some Legends Of Equestria, watch some Bronies React (on ACRaceBest's youtube channel), watch some live-streams of the latest episodes on Equestria Daily or wait for the MLP movie to come out. Definitely go with the first option. That's what keeping me interested in the show ;) :catface:

I've stayed engaged by reading fanfiction, that's the main reason I've stuck around this long. I almost never catch a new episode the day it comes out, I normally watch it the next day after work, or sometimes not until the next weekend. Another thing that keeps me interested is poni videos, I watch and rewatch old and new videos every day, from Ponies the Anthology to Spitfire's Day Off. I highly recommend reading fanfiction and watching videos as a way to stay interested.

I admit that despite I'm loving the S7 WAAAY more than expected, I'm very, VERY reluctant in watching whatever will com afterward, because I REALLY hated the trashy treatment the Mane 6 got in the previous season finale, and the fear of seeing them treated like that again just kills my enthusiasm for future episodes (and.... the fact that Haber is gonna be the boss again in S8 and.... apparentely the premiere is gonna take that scheme once again.... just doesn't help). I'm giving time until the end of the season before making a decision. Good thing that the finale airs a week earlier than expected. 

I'd recommend looking into fanfiction.  There's a lot of great stuff out there.  I'd recommend some, but I have no idea what you'd enjoy, and there's simply too much to list.

Also, I've found watching reactions of your favorite episodes to be rather entertaining.

8 hours ago, SolarFlare13 said:

My suggestion is to play some Legends Of Equestria, watch some Bronies React (on ACRaceBest's youtube channel), watch some live-streams of the latest episodes on Equestria Daily or wait for the MLP movie to come out. Definitely go with the first option. That's what keeping me interested in the show ;) :catface:

Really, it feels like bronies react just got pretty negative.

1 person brohoofs this

Perhaps it's wise for you to take a break. If you don't feel like coming back, you get an unproductive chore out of the way. OR, you'll return to ponies desperately, and in new spirits  

1 person brohoofs this

6 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Really, it feels like bronies react just got pretty negative.

I know what you mean. I couldn't watch the last two (especially the Season 7 premiere) because it was just "let's all bash Starlight in every appearance she has on screen" and I mean all as almost everyone was shown with something to say (whether it was necessary or not)

That being said the newest on "A Royal Problem" was pretty decent (for me mostly for Silver Quill's positivity or neutrality toward all the characters) and the Starlight comments felt more jokey and less biting. I guess people really are warming up to her.