Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When can we expect reviews?

Tiny Hoofs

When do you think we can expect to see critical reviews? The film was just premiered in New York, but I think it isn't going to release worldwide until after October 5.

I'm hoping we'll see some reviews from critics soon. I'm dying to get an insight as to how critics will take to the film.

Edited by Tiny Hoofs
  • Brohoof 1

Like all films, reviews will go live when the embargo is lifted. Most professional critics don't break embargos  as it jeopardizes media and studio access. So far we only have one confirmed fan review that was posted on Reddit. 

10 hours ago, StrawCherry said:

Pretty sure you mean October, not August? :please: The movie doesn't air here until October 11, so not sure when we can expect reviews. Though, I doubt they care much about whether other countries have seen it or not. :huh:

Oops, I don't know how I put August instead of October. Guess I was tired. :blush:

It actually comes out October 20 here in the UK. Which suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!

10 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Like all films, reviews will go live when the embargo is lifted. Most professional critics don't break embargos  as it jeopardizes media and studio access. So far we only have one confirmed fan review that was posted on Reddit. 

Ah right. Interesting. Guess I'll have to wait closer to release then.

• Brohoof 2

55 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

I saw a parenting site that gave the film a score of 3.5 out of 5: https://www.baystateparent.com/2017/09/25/october-family-movie-reviews/

That's not really a review. Considering all that is written is a synopsis for each film and I notice the rating system is "Reel Preview" hence they're probably only basing it off the trailer and previews. It's more of a generalized guideline based on the target audience of the film. This is why I hate these kind of "parenting websites" (no offense to those who use them at least as one of many resources) they are always just so minimalist in their "advice" it's frustrating to think this may be people's only guideline.

Edited by KH7672

39 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

There is at least one youtube review from someone who has seen it early. And he really did not like it. I won't link it since it contains film spoilers. But it is not hard to find by searching youtube for the film reviews.

Thats actually a fake review.  The stuff he saids about the movie makes no sense, and doesn't add up to the info that the books say.  He also saids that all the songs are pop songs, which again is 100% wrong.  Not to mention, If he did see a press screening like he said he did, he should be under embargo until he released this review.  So yeah, pretty damn sure it jus a troll.

Edited by caseyastevens

33 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

That's not really a review. Considering all that is written is a synopsis for each film and I notice the rating system is "Reel Preview" hence they're probably only basing it off the trailer and previews. It's more of a generalized guideline based on the target audience of the film. This is why I hate these kind of "parenting websites" (no offense to those who use them at least as one of many resources) they are always just so minimalist in their "advice" it's frustrating to think this may be people's only guideline.

That kind of misguided judgment is what gave us THIS infamous article in which it seems like the writer never watched any of the actual show before judging it as some symbol of oppression: http://msmagazine.com/blog/2010/12/09/my-little-homophobic-racist-smarts-shaming-pony/

Lauren Faust called out the writer with her own article a couple weeks later: http://msmagazine.com/blog/2010/12/09/my-little-homophobic-racist-smarts-shaming-pony/

I've skimmed over a few of those "parent" reviews before and they tend to annoy me. They refuse to see the film through the eyes of a normal viewer or even the eyes of a typical movie critic.

1 hour ago, caseyastevens said:

Thats actually a fake review.  The stuff he saids about the movie makes no sense, and doesn't add up to the info that the books say.  He also saids that all the songs are pop songs, which again is 100% wrong.  Not to mention, If he did see a press screening like he said he did, he should be under embargo until he released this review.  So yeah, pretty damn sure it jus a troll.

Which parts of the review don't add up, apart from the music?

3 hours ago, KH7672 said:

Note that the poster of that link said score not review. Also 3.5 out of 5 isn't a bad score. Also the best general site that many parents use is this. It's actually a better measurement of age appropriateness. I expect MLP to get a decent score there. 

The real reviews will probably be when the movie comes out. The ones mentione in here aren't real reviews. The YouTube one seems bs because I can't imagine you're allowed to give a spoiler heavy review if it's not out yet and you saw the early screening and the other one is on a site that has already been debunked many times.

What will be interesting about the reviews of this film is not only will the mlp reviewers talk about it, but general movie reviewers. It'd be interesting to see Doug and Rob Walker talking about it on Sibling Rivalry if they see it or to see LewToons review it on his Every Animated Film of the Year Reviewed series, or Andre Black Nerd talk about it. 

6 hours ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

The real reviews will probably be when the movie comes out. The ones mentione in here aren't real reviews. The YouTube one seems bs because I can't imagine you're allowed to give a spoiler heavy review if it's not out yet and you saw the early screening and the other one is on a site that has already been debunked many times.

What will be interesting about the reviews of this film is not only will the mlp reviewers talk about it, but general movie reviewers. It'd be interesting to see Doug and Rob Walker talking about it on Sibling Rivalry if they see it or to see LewToons review it on his Every Animated Film of the Year Reviewed series, or Andre Black Nerd talk about it. 

I look forward to Andre taking a look. If the Walkers don't see it, Tamara just might. That should be funny. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...