Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Equus

Buck Testa

I'm looking to run a relatively rules light 5e Ponyfinder game. That said, you are not limited to the races of ponyfinder. You can choose either from other 5e races, or you can homebrew a race provided you follow the rules I give you (for balance purposes). Ponies are the dominant species on the planet however, and the more you deviate from that the more sidelong glances npc's are going to give you. Even humans exist in this world, but their population is VERY tiny. 

Things you should know about this game. 

- This is a 27 point buy game. I like this method the best cause it keeps things balanced between the players. 

-Homebrewing/reskinning races, classes, and spells are allowed, provided you run it by me and I approve it. I'm all for personalizing characters, but only as long as it maintains balance. 

- This will be run on Roll20. Character sheets and rolls will all be handled on there. (just easier to manage that way)

- Discord will be exchanged via pm once you are approved into the game. Players younger than 18 need not apply. Nothing against you if you are, but I'd rather run a game with adults. 

- Rule of cool in effect. If you can describe how you want to do something and make it sound entertaining, I'll let you attempt it. 

-Once the game begins, it will likely not be logged on this site, but rather on the Discord and Roll20. Just easier to manage that way. 

-We'll be starting at level 3 so we can get passed the squishy qualities of the level 1. 

Provide your application and general character concept below. This is just a prototype version of your character so knowing things like geographical locations and the like isn't mandatory quite yet. What I do want is your characters 

-Race: You are not limited to ponies, but know that the rarer your particular choice is the more hurdles your character may need to overcome in matters of diplomacy. If you are homebrewing a race, you can worry about the details of that when I give you the method of making it. 

-Background: Not just the mechanical type of background, but how that relates to who this character is as a person

-Class: Class is how we understand them, but not necessarily how the character views it. How did the character acquire these talents and abilities? When did they first discover and employ them? How did they learn to use their spells or techniques? What got them to level 3 before the game starts? How does this relate to your background 

-Npcs: Your character is not in a vacuum, give me some characters that your pc knows. Maybe they are family. Maybe they are friends. Maybe they are enemies. Get creative. 

alignment: Your alignment will speak for itself with all the other info. Good characters majorly preferred.

@Buck Testa

Hey there!  I'm a veteran of Pathfinder games, and I've also played (original) Ponyfinder on two occasions.  I don't know what rules have changed in the new edition, but I can do my best to adapt.  I also don't know how busy I'll be with school and the two other campaigns I'm in, and depending on the day and time of day, I may or may not be able to play.  However, may as well put my app forward:

The character I'd like to bring into this campaign is named Rekk the Orphan, a neutral good gnoll barbarian.  Originally born to a tribe of gnolls, he was a rarity among his kind.  Unlike the popular culture of gnollkind, which emphasized guile and discretion, Rekk was unafraid of a stand up fight, and even went so far as to seek out challenge.  Despite this, he was tolerated up until a series of events that would see him disgraced and cast out.

Following a raid on a village, he captured several women and the children they were trying to protect.  He gladly took the women as slaves, but the children he left.  They would remember him, he reasoned, and perhaps they would seek vengeance against him.  The patron goddess all gnolls worship, Lamashtu, the Mother of Beasts, was enraged at this show of disobedience.  Those children were too pure for this world, good only for slavery or the fire.  As the months went by, and Rekk sired offspring, Grandmother Nightmare prepared for her vengeance, cursing him with horrifying nightmares that would keep him from sleep.  Finally, the ultimate curse was laid upon, and it came in the birth of the gnoll's son...an elf.

The rest of his pack was enraged.  A perfect child with no deformities?  How disgusting!  This thing was without Lamashtu's blessings, and were it not cast into the fire immediately, Lamashtu's anger would spread to the rest of the pack.  However, as the gnoll shaman reached for the child, she was stopped by Rekk.  No, this son was his, born from a pack brood mother.  Gnoll or elf, it was a part of the pack, and he would raise it as one of them.

Outrageous!  First this deviant seeks hopeless battle where there would only be failure, and now he seeks to raise a child cursed by the Mother of Monsters?!  No, this was more than they could stand.  The shaman once more reached for the child, dagger in hand and profane blessing on her tongue.

Blood fell to the dry earth, dripping from the traitor's flindbar.  He had done it now. 

There were few laws among gnolls, and murdering another gnoll was chief among them.  Unlike most societies, however, capital punishment did not necessarily mean death.  For a gnoll, there was one punishment worse than death, and that was exile.  A mark of shame was branded upon his cheek, and with little else to sustain him, Rekk was cast out.  His pack had forsaken him.  He was an orphan now.

As the crushing despair of loneliness began to set upon him, he was suddenly saved as he came upon a city of ponyfolk.  Though immediately distrusting of him, his nature as well as the mark upon his cheek set some at ease enough to hire him for oddjobs.  Several months later, he had picked up some of the culture and common tongue as well as enough money to purchase armor and weapons, making him much more attractive to those looking to hire mercenaries.  Despite adapting to this new world he found himself in, he still found himself without a pack, without a family.  Hope is all that drives him on, but day by day, that hope is shrinking, and it's only a matter of time before total despair finally claims him.

Edited by Hazard Time

On 9/26/2017 at 10:53 PM, Hazard Time said:

@Buck Testa

Hey there!  I'm a veteran of Pathfinder games, and I've also played (original) Ponyfinder on two occasions.  I don't know what rules have changed in the new edition, but I can do my best to adapt.  I also don't know how busy I'll be with school and the two other campaigns I'm in, and depending on the day and time of day, I may or may not be able to play.  However, may as well put my app forward:

The character I'd like to bring into this campaign is named Rekk the Orphan, a neutral good gnoll barbarian.  Originally born to a tribe of gnolls, he was a rarity among his kind.  Unlike the popular culture of gnollkind, which emphasized guile and discretion, Rekk was unafraid of a stand up fight, and even went so far as to seek out challenge.  Despite this, he was tolerated up until a series of events that would see him disgraced and cast out.

Following a raid on a village, he captured several women and the children they were trying to protect.  He gladly took the women as slaves, but the children he left.  They would remember him, he reasoned, and perhaps they would seek vengeance against him.  The patron goddess all gnolls worship, Lamashtu, the Mother of Beasts, was enraged at this show of disobedience.  Those children were too pure for this world, good only for slavery or the fire.  As the months went by, and Rekk sired offspring, Grandmother Nightmare prepared for her vengeance, cursing him with horrifying nightmares that would keep him from sleep.  Finally, the ultimate curse was laid upon, and it came in the birth of the gnoll's son...an elf.

The rest of his pack was enraged.  A perfect child with no deformities?  How disgusting!  This thing was without Lamashtu's blessings, and were it not cast into the fire immediately, Lamashtu's anger would spread to the rest of the pack.  However, as the gnoll shaman reached for the child, she was stopped by Rekk.  No, this son was his, born from a pack brood mother.  Gnoll or elf, it was a part of the pack, and he would raise it as one of them.

Outrageous!  First this deviant seeks hopeless battle where there would only be failure, and now he seeks to raise a child cursed by the Mother of Monsters?!  No, this was more than they could stand.  The shaman once more reached for the child, dagger in hand and profane blessing on her tongue.

Blood fell to the dry earth, dripping from the traitor's flindbar.  He had done it now. 

There were few laws among gnolls, and murdering another gnoll was chief among them.  Unlike most societies, however, capital punishment did not necessarily mean death.  For a gnoll, there was one punishment worse than death, and that was exile.  A mark of shame was branded upon his cheek, and with little else to sustain him, Rekk was cast out.  His pack had forsaken him.  He was an orphan now.

As the crushing despair of loneliness began to set upon him, he was suddenly saved as he came upon a city of ponyfolk.  Though immediately distrusting of him, his nature as well as the mark upon his cheek set some at ease enough to hire him for oddjobs.  Several months later, he had picked up some of the culture and common tongue as well as enough money to purchase armor and weapons, making him much more attractive to those looking to hire mercenaries.  Despite adapting to this new world he found himself in, he still found himself without a pack, without a family.  Hope is all that drives him on, but day by day, that hope is shrinking, and it's only a matter of time before total despair finally claims him.

*Whistle* That's pretty in depth there. I can definitely appreciate a complex background like that. Not exactly sure how to integrate this into the game as it is though. From what I can tell here he already worked his vengeance against the one who killed his kid, which is hwy he was exiled, meaning that plot thread is pretty much tied up before the game starts. If I were to start this game, I may suggest having it that he TRIED to kill the Shaman, but he ended up not being able to do it cause of guards and intervening gnolls and such. Exile him without his vengeance being sated, have him try to live with that, and we may be able to tie up that loose end in the game proper. 

On 9/26/2017 at 10:58 PM, Arid_Blitz said:

What times would this take place?

That will be hammered out when I get more people and check their schedules as well as other factors. 

1 hour ago, Buck Testa said:

*Whistle* That's pretty in depth there. I can definitely appreciate a complex background like that. Not exactly sure how to integrate this into the game as it is though. From what I can tell here he already worked his vengeance against the one who killed his kid, which is hwy he was exiled, meaning that plot thread is pretty much tied up before the game starts. If I were to start this game, I may suggest having it that he TRIED to kill the Shaman, but he ended up not being able to do it cause of guards and intervening gnolls and such. Exile him without his vengeance being sated, have him try to live with that, and we may be able to tie up that loose end in the game proper. 

Not entirely.  He killed his shaman, but they still sacrificed the child, so it was all for naught.  His main struggle is trying to find a new "pack" since, despite their chaotic evil nature, gnolls are very social creatures who have a sort of racial fear of abandonment.  If you want a character arc with a more climactic resolution, it could be his grudge towards his former pack and his desire to kill them all out of catharsis.

Edited by Hazard Time

10 minutes ago, Hazard Time said:

Also something else I've been meaning to ask: I have the original Ponyfinder rulebook, will there be any major differences here?  I'm mostly using Pathfinder stats for making my character.

5e is pretty streamlined and easy to understand. If you're a veteran of pathfinder you're not going to have much issue with it. as for stats and stuff like that, well get into it when we are on roll20. I doubt it'll be an issue though.