Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask Sunset Rose

I suppose I'll give this a go.

I'm not expecting there to be much to ask, but should there be any questions, ask away. I'm not shy to most questions, but I am honest. Get to know me a little better. ^ ^

From what I read on your profile I get the picture that you like writing. What sort of stories do you like to write? Do you take time to read as well?

@PathfinderCS
I do leisurely write occasionally but I've more often got my nose in someone else's work than my own. When I do write, often times it'd be for my own take on someone else's story or something of a romanticization of how I see the world around me. Romance is a guilty pleasure of mine but these days, they're a dime a dozen and range from hackery to tear-jerking. I don't throw my hoof in with professional writers, I just occasionally scribble down my own interpretations of things and call them writing exercises. I say occasionally, but... my house is a swamp of unfinished papers and this-and-that scattered around everywhere. It's time to admit I've got a problem. 9~6

I am also an avid botanist outside of my job and have trouble keeping my studies and papers together and segregated from all of my other things. Some day I'll learn better organizational skills, or at least get started on learning them...

Without rambling much further, to answer your question; yes, I do write but not nearly as often as I read. Literature is a wondrous and expansive world of imagination that I couldn't possibly trade for anything in Equestria. 

Edited by Guest

@Wacko Wolf

I guess you could say something that forces a really long answer out of me is something I'd have a lot to say about and am likely interested in. So long answers it is!

@Wacko Wolf

You know, while I do drink often I don't often drink a lot. Wine is best enjoyed when one is only tipsy so after a few glasses that's generally it for me, but I suppose I was a little more... aggressive when I first got out of school. Maybe 10 would have been my highest number back then, at least that I can remember. So likely more.

Edited by Guest

20 hours ago, Sunset Rose said:

Without rambling much further, to answer your question; yes, I do write but not nearly as often as I read. Literature is a wondrous and expansive world of imagination that I couldn't possibly trade for anything in Equestria. 

Here here! Well said! :D

Now, another question. I know you mentioned romance, but is that your favorite genre; if you will? If not, then what is, or is it a plethora of genres? Also, when you do read, how do you read? I mean is there a time you prefer, sitting vs laying down, all of that?

@PathfinderCS

I actually try to actively curb my time spent on romance these days- personally I've been through my youthful love phase and they're not as appealing to me as they used to be. Not AS appealing anyway... I can't think of a time where I wasn't actively reading at least one, but at least it isn't my day and night like it used to be. :wacko:

I work as a book store clerk within the inner university district of Canterlot. Our store is very old, and it's a two-pony operation of me and the elderly stallion whose family has run the store for generations. Due to it's location, It's more a place for tomes of study and research so my time reading these days are spent on more pragmatic things like spellbooks, referencials and history. Not that I'm complaining, frankly I'm childish and unrefined in that just about any topic can grab me so long as it's written well. There tends to be slightly less fiction in what I read outside of work these days, but I do still really enjoy fantasy adventure stories of far-away places with strange natural laws. I also really like mysteries and detective novels as well for the excitement and tend to be the thing that keeps me up late at night. Lately I've rediscovered my liking for the occasional macabre horror story, but I couldn't say how long it'll be a thing. 

There's really not a whole lot I won't pick up, Pathfinder. I suppose I'm not very big into dramatic theater and scripts tend to bore me unless it's contextual for a story, but even then there's the occasional eye-catcher. Eventually my goal is to understand every book we rent within the store inside and out. Spellbooks remind me heavily of my years in Celestia's school, but seeing as they help keep my interest in magic alive, I suppose I should be thankful for their easy access. 

@Wacko Wolf

Unfortunately I'm very much over love, sex and relationships. I've had my fair share of them and they're just not my thing anymore. I've spent the last several years by myself and they've been the better part of my life comparatively. 

I see :wacko::orly: .

But how would you react to a flattering compliment oR cupid's arrow struck :orly::orly::orly: ?

Feel free to boop if you don't feel comfortable answering any of my rather pushy questions if any :wacko: .

@Wacko Wolf

I very much appreciate compliments, but if there's a motive behind it I'm afraid it won't go anywhere. Romance is a powerful thing, but it's restricted to fiction for me. 

Oooh :wacko: .

Well less of that now, I'll ask one more question for now so not to write every page of your book in one sitting, whatever that means :wacko: ... 

I was wondering if you could tell me how you feel about... Apples?

What music do You generally enjoy? Any genre that gives You instant "NOPE" reaction? Or the opposite of "NOPE"?

What gave You an idea for Your OC? I think it's one of better designs on mlpforums so far ^^ Is there any place online with some art with her? ^^

@Wacko Wolf

Anything without an overpowering scent, really. I use salts in my baths so overly scented things aren't often necessary.

@The Senate

I listen to a pretty wide range of genres- I think it's easier to answer what I don't listen to. I'm not very big into hip hop, especially modern hip hop, not often a fan of dubstep or hyperactive chiptune music, growly heavy metal is normally outside of my realm of taste, and I don't really listen to much pop music either. Otherwise I'm pretty open to most genres, which... after all that seems like very little but I promise it isn't! Lately I've been really into my ambient and downtempo jams as the heat of the summer starts to finally die down. The environment around me feels less excited, people are calming down- I think this is my natural routine. 

To the second question; Rosie was a conception that I had in mind for years before I actually made her. I wanted a personification like her to use as a role model for the longest time and ponies just gave me a reason to actually create her outside of writing exercises and fantasies. The design and coloration is something I often get a lot of compliments over, (thank you very much for that by the way, it means a lot to me!) and while I don't feel like I'm ever satisfied with what and where she currently is, I'm certainly more satisfied with her these days than I have been. Rosie turns 7 soon. She's definitely been the highlight of that period, too. 

As for art, I have loads of it with me, but nowhere to post it so I guess the answer is no, there really isn't. I thought about making a sort of gallery in Google Drive for her, but I'm still looking for more suitable options. 

Edited by Guest

Actually it never seemed like very little, it seems we have some similiarities with music, only I also listen to metal, both calmer and heavier one. But it's good to see another open minded person music wise as I believe limiting oneself to a specific genre of music is boring ^^ But then let's dig further - if You were to pick Your fav musical project/band what would it be? 

Even I was among the people who complimented here before already. She's just so lovely with her colors ^^ Google drive might work, but maybe starting a dA account would help on that ^^ Thanks for replies :D 

• Brohoof 1

@The Senate

If I were forced to pick only one name, it'd probably be Röyksopp. Sigur Rós is another artist I listen to a lot, but they carry the same seasonality that a lot of my music does- I think I tend to listen to them more in the winter. I always feel so bad only dropping one name!

On 9/29/2017 at 0:46 PM, Sunset Rose said:

Sigur Rós

ICELANDIC!! 

Sorry, these things catch my attention (noparticularreasonnope). 

What is your favorite book/story? 

@JonasDarkmane

That is nearly an impossible question for me to answer! I suppose if you had to have only one answer I could say James Joyce's Dubliners set the stage for my love of classic literature, but there are so many fictional stories I hold dear. I tend to prefer the viewpoint from an older world- I'm currently working through Jordan B. Peterson's recommendations for psychological studies, but I'm just reading them for fun. Presently I'm at Fyodor Dostoyevsky's The House of the Dead and very much enjoying it. If I understood Russian, I'd read the original print but Constance Garnett's translation is masterful nonetheless. 

(I just realized I'm doing that thing again where I conflate Rosie's life with my own! To be fair though, I don't know of a great number of popular titles or authors outside of Daring Do's stories in FiM so I suppose you could give me a pass for that.)