Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask Sunset Rose

@Wacko Wolf

(Unfortunately I only have access to so many images while I'm at work, but I have a crop from one example...)
My horn glows a cooler turquoise than the color in my mane and legs, but it used to be more blue when I was younger.

rosiemagic.png

Edited by Guest

I am linear and straightwise done,

yet centre on a quirky twist.

I am frustration to the wise one,

yet cold reason to the simplest.

I am never hungry; food I shun,

yet mine tail I cannot resist.

What am I? swiftly now, my son (well, not 'son' in this case, but old-school riddles tend to be somewhat sexist),

yet take care my point is not miss'd.

Edited by Duality

8 hours ago, Sunset Rose said:

@Wacko Wolf

(Unfortunately I only have access to so many images while I'm at work, but I have a crop from one example...)
My horn glows a cooler turquoise than the color in my mane and legs, but it used to be more blue when I was younger.

rosiemagic.png

I would toooootally boop that :icwudt: . *boops :adorkable: *

Mind if I ask where you got that necklace from :wacko: ?

@Duality

Riddles are technically questions, but I don't know the answer to this one. 

@Wacko Wolf
It was a gift from my mother. I wear it all the time, but since my parents don't live near me I like to have a memento of them with me so I don't miss them so much.

@GrimGrimoire

Why would you leave it on a dish, in my kitchen, made of ingredients from my cupboards?

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Sunset Rose said:

Riddles are technically questions, but I don't know the answer to this one. 

Well, of course they're technically questions, Sunflower; I wouldn't've asked you one if you could just hoofwave it aside with an 'oh, that's outside the scope of my ask thread'. :toldya:

Now, despite the fact that you didn't even make the feeblest of attempts at guessing what the answer might be ( :okiedokieloki:), I'll give you a magnanimous hint:

15 hours ago, Duality said:

What am I? swiftly now, my son,

You missed the point.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Duality said:

Well, of course they're technically questions, Sunflower; I wouldn't've asked you one if you could just hoofwave it aside with an 'oh, that's outside the scope of my ask thread'. :toldya:

Now, despite the fact that you didn't even make the feeblest of attempts at guessing what the answer might be ( :okiedokieloki:), I'll give you a magnanimous hint:

You missed the point.

You'll note that there's a pretty big gap between when you posted your riddle, and when I gave up and said I didn't know the answer to it. :P 

That last bit didn't strike me as irrelevant, but the amount of time I spent at work thinking about a random riddle didn't either. 

7 hours ago, Sunset Rose said:

Why would you leave it on a dish, in my kitchen, made of ingredients from my cupboards?

Duh! Because your kitchen & cupboard are nicer than mine. I clearly left a little sign on it though. I tell you, some people.

OK, time for a question I thought about putting in the debate pit due to its sensitive nature and ability to divide a large amount of people.

Kirk or Picard?

The nerd community waits breathlessly for your answer.

@GrimGrimoire

I don't think ponies know a great deal about Star Trek!

I was actually a fan of The Next Generation more than the others just because I always thought Patrick Stewart played a better captain than 'kooky Kirk.' 

3 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

I always thought Patrick Stewart played a better captain than 'kooky Kirk.

Just quoting this so when they come for you I don't get taken as well. I like you Rosie, but not enough to be dragged off to Trekkie detention came with you.

So... favorite Pokemon that is not anyone else besides Eevee? I think I know the answer but want to see if I am right.

@GrimGrimoire

As many times as I've answered this I still can't ever feel satisfied with what I say simply because there are so many pokemon that I love. 
If I had to give only one answer, then I'd say Milotic.

Oh and on the Trekkie thing, I've been through it with so many people already. They're entitled to their opinion, even if it's an erroneous one.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Sunset Rose said:

As many times as I've answered this I still can't ever feel satisfied with what I say simply because there are so many pokemon that I love. 
If I had to give only one answer, then I'd say Milotic.

Milotic is disqualified.. he/she/it is someone else besides Eevee.

Favorite type of clouds. And at what altitude? Seriously.. this is important.

@GrimGrimoire

I could say Vaporeon, but Milotic, Murkrow, Dragonair,  Lapras, etc. would be so sad they weren't included. (Though I really love Vaporeon a lot.)

The cloudy kind... I dunno, I really enjoy a light rain so you could say nimbostratus.

20 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

@GrimGrimoire

I don't think ponies know a great deal about Star Trek!

I was actually a fan of The Next Generation more than the others just because I always thought Patrick Stewart played a better captain than 'kooky Kirk.' 

YES! I'm not the only one! :D

That said; any episode of Trek that you prefer? I great with with TNG, and to a lesser extent DS9 and Voyager, but I really can't point out a favorite episode. XD

@PathfinderCS

I'm gonna say Yesterday's Enterprise just because it's what introduced me to the concept of converging timelines, and I always payed particularly close attention to them in stories, books, comics, what have you afterwards.

Just now, Sunset Rose said:

@PathfinderCS

I'm gonna say Yesterday's Enterprise just because it's what introduced me to the concept of converging timelines, and I always payed particularly close attention to them in stories, books, comics, what have you afterwards.

Admittedly I forgot about that one. I really need to see that again...

Now; favorite music to relax by? Doesn't have to be your overall fav; just something to turn on if you're stressed, angry, or just want to take a nap too?

19 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

You'll note that there's a pretty big gap between when you posted your riddle, and when I gave up and said I didn't know the answer to it. :P 

That last bit didn't strike me as irrelevant, but the amount of time I spent at work thinking about a random riddle didn't either. 

You mean the timespan between your comments was how long you spent thinking about it?

Nine hours??

And here I was thinking you'd just gone to sleep for the evening; I certainly didn't intend to accost your intellect for that long!

Using the average American wage of $25 per hour, you spent like $225 of 'time is money'-worth on my riddle.

That's a whole lotta cheeseburgers.

Here, have the answer - you've earned it:

Spoiler

The answer is the riddle itself.

17 hours ago, Duality said:

What am I? swiftly now, my son,

The first line is something of an allegorical allusion to the Möbius strip, looping back on itself but constructed from a linear ribbon of material, the second line describes how you (o wise Sunflower smolhoers) were confused by the riddle, yet, now that it is explained, even the simplest can see that it consists of cold logic, and the third line is a reference to the ouroboros symbol, the serpent devouring its own tail, metaphorical for the riddle's self-referentiality.

I thought you might appreciate the literary insinuations. :muffins:

Now, for some more (or possibly less) conventional ask thread questions:

To what extent are paperclips essential to your day-to-day life?

What do you normally keep in your pockets?

If you were building a house for you to live in 20 years in the future, what shape would you make the roof, and why?

What is the culture you would most like to live in, from any country in the world?

@Duality

You're going to call me a liar, but I had actually guessed at that this morning. I just didn't think it fit because I was focusing too hard on a physical object.

1) Non-essential, but they should be. Things tend to get stacked in a criss-cross pattern but my organizational skills would do well to be introduced to them.

2) Ponies don't have pockets!

3) Probably in the shape of a funnel so I could collect all of the rainwater and purify it in my secret basement laboratory. 

4) I am actually content where I am in Canterlot. While it seems like a diversion to my interests, it's invaluable to be able to walk outside, look one direction and see a bustling metropolis filled with resources and look the other direction and find a comforting wilderness of discovery. Make no mistake, Canterlot is filled to the brim with well-off unicorns stuffed with haughty, egotistical attitudes, but there's arguably no place in Equestria with more resources for a unicorn than here in this city.

@PathfinderCS
If I'm stressed and need to just relax, I need something downtempo with brass and a piano. Lemongrass is a perfect example. 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Sunset Rose said:

@Duality

You're going to call me a liar, but I had actually guessed at that this morning. I just didn't think it fit because I was focusing too hard on a physical object.

I was actually quite surprised that someone as literately intelligent as yourself ended up drawing a blank, so I'm rather inclined to believe you.

4 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

Ponies don't have pockets!

I dunno, I would've thought a place so haute-couture-devoted as Canterlot would have fashion so progressive as to have pockets.

6 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

Probably in the shape of a funnel so I could collect all of the rainwater and purify it in my secret basement laboratory. 

Trying to create me an evil twin?

What is your favourite colour of rock?

What is your favourite musical instrument?

Plasma guns or rocket-propelled-grenade launchers (purely hypothetically, of course)?

What's your favourite animal?

@Duality

You know I actually followed you because you seem interesting, but more that you are of my favorite element. <insert 'shallow' pun here>

1) Uh huh

2) I adore brass, strings and piano percussion instruments a lot. Jazz and lounge music tend to be my natural go-tos but I could appreciate almost anything.

3) Plasma is cleaner, let's go with that.

4) Dolphins

31 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

You know I actually followed you not because you seem interesting, but more that you are of my favorite element

I was gonna object to this statement on the basis of chemistry terminology, pointing out that water isn't an element, just a compound, but then I realised you were talking about 'elemental control'-type elements.

Now I'm wondering whether I should be congratulating myself on my lapse into complete science nerdness or brushing up on my mythology knowledge ASAP.

also thanks that helps my self-esteem tremendously

10/10 best complimenter would follow again

<insert 'shallow' pun here>

nuuuuuu teh wata puns they buuuuuurn

Uh huh

[error: parse failed. please try again]

What is your least favourite animal?

What is your favourite plant, and why?

How many middle names do you have?

What is your favourite flower?

Edited by Duality

@Duality

1) I'd say mosquitoes. I know they're a huge part of a lot of animals like bats' diets and they do contribute a large percentage to carnivorous plants' nutritional ingestion as well, but I can't stand them.

2) I really gravitate to ivies and climbing vine plants in general, I wish I could give a more specific answer than that but it wouldn't be as honest I suppose.

3) 0

4) Roses of course. It's in the name, it's in the nature. There is nothing more captivating than the natural beauty of a big, blooming Victor Hugo or Black Baccara rose on a healthy stalk of thorns. 

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

I'd say mosquitoes. I know they're a huge part of a lot of animals like bats' diets and they do contribute a large percentage to carnivorous plants' nutritional ingestion as well, but I can't stand them.

Male mosquitoes drink plant juices; if they all did that, they'd be fine.

18 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

Oh, that's different. Most everyone I've asked that before said '1'.

Would you like to have a middle name or two?

16 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

Roses or course. It's in the name, it's in the nature. There is nothing more captivating than the natural beauty of a big, blooming Victor Hugo or Black Baccara rose on a healthy stalk of thorns.

Black Baccaras are amazing:wub:

Speaking of roses, what species is the one in your cutie mark?

How many first cousins do you have?

If you had one object, what would you choose?

What's your favourite bird?

How many middle names can you think of, off the top of your head, that belong to family members of yours?

@Duality
Oh, I think Sunset Rose is just fine. ^ ^

The rose in my cutie mark would be a Victor Hugo.

1) 0

2) If I could only keep one or have any in the world- I think it's be the same thing, it'd be my choker. Sentimental value and all.

3) Favorite bird... well I love hummingbirds because they're so adorable, but I can appreciate a crow's intelligence as well. And despite the cawing, they really are fun to watch in their own way.

4) Uhhh, well I don't think ponies tend to use middle names often, or maybe that's the excuse I use because my family has none.