Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Feeling down because of BAD REVIEWS? read this:

age3rcm

you.png.aa7fce72d863f818c642806b41b7521c.png

>LETTING OTHERS THINK FOR YOU

Do not let them win!

watch the mlp movie without caring that others said it was bad or good! make your opinion based on your own experience!

Edited by age3rcm
Removed image
  • Brohoof 4

7 minutes ago, Jackie: sleepy mare said:

That's a very... interesting pic you chose. Might I suggest a different one? One that might be a little less, oh I don't know, offensive?

Why? Can't he show a drawing of himself? :P

• Brohoof 1

On 9/27/2017 at 11:34 PM, age3rcm said:

>LETTING OTHERS THINK FOR YOU

Do not let them win!

watch the mlp movie without caring that others said it was bad or good! make your opinion based on your own experience!

4chan GTFO

On 9/28/2017 at 1:23 AM, Hierok said:

Why? Can't he show a drawing of himself? :P

MUH SIX GORILLION

I hate it when I trip on reviews and fall down. It's almost as bad as stepping on Legos barefoot. Almost. 

10 hours ago, Jade Fire said:

what reviews? the movie isnt out yet, so the only reviews you'll find on it are speculation at best.

There is one legitimate review on Reddit from a fan that attended the NYC premiere. It's fairly favorable. Said it was basically fun as hell but nothing groundbreaking. 

Now to the authors point. While I believe that people's individual opinions of some episodes can be swayed after the fact, the purpose of a review of something that has a cost associated is to save that person time and money. I had no interest in watching Lego Movie, but the reviews and buzz were so favorable I said, "I have to see this now". 

I was also going to see Dark Tower in theaters. I love the series, but after quite a few reviews from fellow fans and the general press came out and were rather unforgiving, I downgraded Dark Tower to a Red Box rental. 

Reviews don't turn you into a sheep. You still have agency. They can help save you from spending money on something you wouldn't normally like. The best way to use a review is to first find people who tend to have similar tastes, and follow them. Use them as a barometer. People here know I tend to be forgiving on some things with the show, while acknowledging some flaws. I tend to not dislike an episode if it meets certain personal criteria that I have. My personal movie review is probably going to be similar to how I look at the show. A critical minded individual probably should not base their decision to see the film from what I have to say. 

People have every right to decide how they wish to spend their own money, and what resources they use to make that decision. Blindly ignoring all criticism while making a purchase decision makes you foolish and more of a sheep than the other way.

• Brohoof 3

17 minutes ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

And even then, the "fun as hell" part still makes it sound enticing, so...

I think "fun as hell, but nothing groundbreaking" is exactly what you want for the first ever MLP movie though.

For those in the audience new to the franchise, it isn't going to raise unreasonable expectations if they go back and watch the episodes afterwards, so they can enjoy the journey just like we did.

34 minutes ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

And even then, the "fun as hell" part still makes it sound enticing, so...

Maybe because he, and was stated, to not score any higher because he set himself to hard to reach standards 

18 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I think "fun as hell, but nothing groundbreaking" is exactly what you want for the first ever MLP movie though.

For those in the audience new to the franchise, it isn't going to raise unreasonable expectations if they go back and watch the episodes afterwards, so they can enjoy the journey just like we did.

"Fun as hell" was the minimum I was hoping for.

13 hours ago, Jackie: sleepy mare said:

That's a very... interesting pic you chose. Might I suggest a different one? One that might be a little less, oh I don't know, offensive?

Ah, I guess /pol/ now thinks there's s a Jewish conspiracy to sabotage the My Little Pony Movie...for some reason. :blink:

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Maybe because he, and was stated, to not score any higher because he set himself to hard to reach standards 

That might bode well for the movie. Fans will no doubt have high expectations, but parents and movie critics might come in not expecting much and be really impressed. Much like what happened with the show. It could be pretty big. But I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment by expecting it to be genre-defining or to be unanimously praised. I think a fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes alone would be good for the film. And I'll still watch it at some point even if it's panned by critics. 

Edited by Tiny Hoofs
  • Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to Feeling down because of BAD REVIEWS? read this:

Nothing groundbreaking huh?

So like:
Frozen, How to train your dragon 2, Moana, Zootopia, Finding Dory, Toy Story 3, etc.

All those movies were really good but I wouldn't say they were groundbreaking either, that's a title I reserve only for Kubo and the Two Strings.

I'm more likely to listen to friends than what the public is saying unless their opinion of a film is overwhelmingly negative. In the case of MLP, however, I'm not going to listen and just enjoy the ride. I think we should all do that.

On 2017-09-28 at 8:29 PM, Ryanmahaffe said:

Nothing groundbreaking huh?

So like:
Frozen, How to train your dragon 2, Moana, Zootopia, Finding Dory, Toy Story 3, etc.

All those movies were really good but I wouldn't say they were groundbreaking either, that's a title I reserve only for Kubo and the Two Strings.

I think Zootopia didn’t do good because it was an flop, right?

39 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Zootopia made a billion dollars, it was extremely successful.

Or are you being sarcastic

When you see a crazy grenade lobbed over a fence, best to dodge it instead of trying to grab it and lob it back. 

Circling back to your comment on groundbreaking, outside of specific animation techniques, I agree. Though I enjoyed the hell out some of those films, they incremented on older themes either established in an earlier film in the franchise or generally long used plot threads. 

Seeing something that is groundbreaking isn't something I generally expect of any film. When it happens it's icing on the cake. 

4 hours ago, MAIKUN said:

I think Zootopia didn’t do good because it was an flop, right?

45 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Zootopia made a billion dollars, it was extremely successful.

Or are you being sarcastic

Not to mention in comparison, it's Disney's second highest grossing movie after Frozen and fifth highest grossing animated movie overall, along with getting great reception critically and from audiences.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Kyoshi said:

Hopefully the film garners positive reception because I have already decided that I will not see it in theaters if it gets majority negative reviews. 

Well so far it is all positive.

@age3rcm

This is nothing against you, but I removed the image in your post. It was something that I missed, but there was a potentially harmful stereotype that could send a bad message to others.

Apologies for the inconvenience; you are not in trouble over this. :)

(edited)

@PathfinderCS
whoa...
you are a mod and you are being too nice for my standards...
i think i was in the wrong forum back then, you would not believe how awful the mods where over there.

it was soo bad that... it caused me a depression... :sunny:

about the image:
it was because of the meme, i will put a different image then

Edited by age3rcm
  • Brohoof 1

Another review fellas; probably the first of the YouTube reviewers. While he's positive about the movie and enjoyed it, he's also fair in his criticisms. This is probably the most realistic review so far.