Foxy Socks

What do you call a daddy longlegs?  

23 users have voted

1. 1. What are daddy longlegs to you?

• Cellar spider
    • Harvestman
    • Crane flies
    • Other

In different parts of the world, "daddy longlegs" can refer to at least three animals. The cellar spider, harvestman, or cranefly. These unique arthropods are all very harmless, and can be beneficial as well. 

Cellar Spiders:

cellar.jpg.b2cc5f7a1f5d1a3bddbc78471a3cce70.jpg

These little spiders like to hang out in dark corners and eat small insects. They are a common find in many places.

Harvestmen:

IMG_20170923_162019183.thumb.jpg.ef3f8409a454addef04545372d87dd79.jpg

In the order Opiliones, these tickly arachnids are actually not spiders, as they have one body segment. They are incapable of biting people, and even if they could, they are nonvenomous. These are what I consider daddy long legs.

Crane Flies:

sd-me-crane-flies-20170329.thumb.jpg.6d5c0c921e758ed50d250e6f949be7bb.jpg

They may look like huge mosquitoes, but they are harmless and will not bother humans. Unlike the other two, these are insects, having only six legs.

Here where I live, I have seen all three listed. However, I only consider harvestmen daddy longlegs. Perhaps some of you may call another animal not listed as one. So what do you consider daddy longlegs to be?

Edited by Foxy Socks
  • Brohoof 1

In the UK they've always been crane flies. I like to call them flying spiders because they look so similar despite only having 6 legs, I hate them so much and they are the only bug I don't hesitate to kill if they're in my room.

Cellar spiders and harvestmen are just known by those names here as far as I'm aware. 

Edited by Battenberg
  • Brohoof 1

yeah it would also be harvestmen for me too :P 

crane flies are the ones that fly really funny like right? if so I call em drunk bugs

• Brohoof 2

The title holder for daddy longlegs was always the Harvestman to me. I used to be so scared of them in my youth but now I know better. They still creep me out but of course I let them be. I have been seeing lot's of cellar spiders lately, they are good bug catchers. I actually haven't seen a harvestman in a long time. :|

1 hour ago, KrazyDashie said:

crane flies are the ones that fly really funny like right? if so I call em drunk bugs

They always look like they are trying to find the door to go home but alas, they keep bumping into things. XD

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, KrazyDashie said:

I once spent over half an hour trying to catch them to take outside. I am more scared of them because they can fly, but I have improved over my fears in the past few months.

I'm thinking Harvestmen are what I have always thought of as 'Daddy long legs', but maybe cellar spiders, too. I wasn't really aware of the difference.

Crane flies are completely unrelated to me, they're called May flies where I live.

• Brohoof 1

there is no all of the above option! Its a generic term I use for anything spindley with a tiny body and annoying. 

cellar spiders are bloody gross to look at x.x almost always find dead ones *shivers* dead curled up spiders are worse than live ones imo. ew

• Brohoof 3

I've always called the extremely long legged brownish spiders with tiny bodies "daddy longlegs" my whole life, and when I was little I was terrified of them :lol: Here in Florida they're different from the ones in the midwest, not as long legged and kinda creepy. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I consider them as frightening creatures that make my spine shiver, which always results in me calling for my father to come and get rid of it.

^_^

But really, I refer to them as Daddy long legs.

Have to go with what @The Cerberus said. You know, since it appears that we speak the same language. :D

So yes, "daddy longlegs" is both Lukki (harvestman) and Vaaksiainen/Kaalivaaksiainen (crane fly) but eh, I'm just going to go with the harvestman because I can't associate the term with flying insects for some reason.

Edited by Corvino
  • Brohoof 1