Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think the movie will give a boost to the fandom?

Wardaddy

With all the hype being generated by the upcoming movie, I wonder how the fandom will benefit from this. I imagine there might be a lengthy surge in people identifying themselves as bronies, otherwise the influx levels would remain largely the same as they are now. What do you guys think?

Just now, Jade Fire said:

i hope it does ^-^ if the movie tanks, it will more than likely kill the show D=

If it doesn't kill the show, the movie tanking would certainly do harm to it. I hope if the movie is as good as the show, if not better, then more people would be interested in joining the fandom. I mean, who knows? Maybe something similar to the brony explosion of yesteryear might happen. That being said, much depends on the success of the movie, how well it is written and the like.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think the movie will have a massive impact on the fandom either way, but I am really hoping it doesn't turn out bad. That wouldn't be good for anyone. It seems like they have to fit so much into the film that I am not sure what to expect. The episodes do a good job mostly at doing what they need to do in their shorter runtime but even with the longer time, the movie might be a bit too clustered.

Definately, if the movie is great, it will give a boost to Hasbro, they sell more toys, they have more money, it means more money to make more seasons, hire more famous people to voice characters, and we are the one get the most out of it. If the movie is well-received by crittics like Rotten Tomatoes, people will take this franchise even more seriously, new fans will come, the fandom will expand. Everything i said might just a daydreaming but i dont care, AIM HIGHER! Our fanbase is shrinking, i want our fandom expand. 

• Brohoof 1

It will call attention to the fandom again. A few people will probably start checking out old episodes and becoming fans, but at the same time a few others are leaving the fandom for whatever reason thus it is hard to say how that will effect us. I do believe we will see a decent influx of new people temporarily, since you always do after the release of anything new franchise wise when it comes to films, but it will dwindle quickly, since the show and film are two different things. People jump on bandwagons, but seldom stick to them. 

The biggest thing that will happen is again, it will call attention to the fandom... and the fandom still has the same issues it had before..... a lot of awesome, amazing people yes... but a lot of not so amazing people as well.... as well as a lot of things people point at that they loathe about the fandom in general... none of those things are going away with the movie, and in fact may take a larger stage after the release. As such, many who might be interested in becoming more part of the fandom, will end up avoiding it for the same reasons so many do now.

• Brohoof 2

I think the fandom hit its maximum potential somewhere in season 5. I can't see the movie breaking the mold in a big enough way to drive any new interest from those who have already dismissed getting involved with MLP

You'll get a fair amount of old fans like me returning to check things out for a while, but how many of us will stay is something else. There are a lot of other good shows running now and passion runs thin on familiar ideas.

I don't know if you can tell from inside it, but its not easy to get back into the fandom these days. The community is more fragmented and insular than it ever has been and a lot of the visible members of the fandom are the biggest barrier to entry 

Just now, Ivan The Adorable said:

I think the fandom hit its maximum potential somewhere in season 5. I can't see the movie breaking the mold in a big enough way to drive any new interest from those who have already dismissed getting involved with MLP

You'll get a fair amount of old fans like me returning to check things out for a while, but how many of us will stay is something else. There are a lot of other good shows running now and passion runs thin on familiar ideas.

I don't know if you can tell from inside it, but its not easy to get back into the fandom these days. The community is more fragmented and insular than it ever has been and a lot of the visible members of the fandom are the biggest barrier to entry 

No, I can't tell. You're right about that. But somewhere along the way I did notice a change in atmosphere on the Forums. It didn't have that same vibrant feeling when I first came here. When the fandom had only just begun and was thriving something fierce. Maybe the movie won't change anything. Maybe it will. I just hope the team that put it together did it right.

Will it boost fandom participation? I don't know. It may bring back lapsed fans, as I am aware of one person that came back because Season 7 was so well received. As far as a general boost, I am going to so no. At least, not in any meaningful measurable way, and not solely on a film. I have always maintained that the Brony community will get a boost at some point as the target audience matures and looks back at the show with nostalgic fondness. They will likely discover this niche of geek culture. 

Also when Bronies start having kids and sharing the show with them. 

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Wardaddy said:

No, I can't tell. You're right about that. But somewhere along the way I did notice a change in atmosphere on the Forums. It didn't have that same vibrant feeling when I first came here. When the fandom had only just begun and was thriving something fierce. Maybe the movie won't change anything. Maybe it will. I just hope the team that put it together did it right.

I mean, I think the inner community will revitalize for a while.

when I say the visible members are a barrier I don't mean forum or even fan sites. People don't look that far. The only pony fans most people see are trolls and neo-Nazis who spend their time mucking up trouble on social media. The positive fans aren't really out spreading the image of the fandom anymore 

I think it is silly to say it won't. If the movie is received even decently well (75% RT) more people will be interested in seeing it, more people who see it will likely want to check out the show they likely already know about. Parents who take their kids who enjoy the movie might end up watching the show with their kids and join the fandom.

Of course the movie will boos the fandom as lots of people will see it. It may not be a massive blockbuster and we won't get millions of new bronies, but I guarantee some thousands of people will join the herd, tell their friends, get them to join the herd, and so on.

It might encourage some people who dropped-out to start watching it again. And it might convert some animation buffs. But I can't really imagine it drawing many people who aren't fans of the show or interested in cartoons all that much. But who knows?