Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler MLP The Movie: My Review! SPOILER FREE

Shimmering Sparkler

Howdy y'all! Today I attended an advanced screening of the MLP movie, and boy let me tell ya, it was GREAT!

This is a spoiler free review, if you would like me to do a review detailing the plot then let me know.

When we got there, the theater wasn't open so we had to wait outside. There were a LOOOOOOT of little kids and parents there. For any neighsayers who think the movie will bomb, the theater was packed with loads of kids, parents, and critics, and this was just an early showing! So I think it'll do well.

Once the theater opened, a representative from Lionsgate came out and told us that recording was strictly prohibited, and gave us all free posters and a coloring page, which was a nice touch.

20 minutes later, the movie started! No trailers or nothing, not even the Hanazuki short, which I was looking forward to. It starts off with the Lionsgate logo, and then a small purple sparkle. The sparkle outlines something which is then revealed to be the logo! My Little Pony: The Movie! We're in for a treat today! For a brief moment, the MLP theme song is playing in an orchestrated version, but then, the "Ponies got the Beat" song from the trailer is playing in the background.

The movie's special effects, presentation, and animation are on point. The scenes in certain portions are very well animated and everything about it is gorgeous eye candy. 

The songs are great, I'm a very big fan of "We Got This" and Capper's song. Daniel stepped up his game and it shows.

The voice acting is top notch. Capper has a very nice voice to listen to and the Mane 6 and co brought their A game. Tabitha better win a goddamn Oscar. You can tell the VA's had a lot of fun recording.

The Mane 6 were perfectly in character, and I would argue this is them at their best...well, most of them at least. This movie brought forth a Mane 6 member at her worst, not in terms of writing quality, but in a character sense. You'll know what I mean when you see the movie for yourself.

A lot of supporting characters were there! I spotted Moondancer! And Starlight and Trixie get a nice moment in the credits, I appreciated that. And Discord is in the credits too! 

All in all, it was a great movie! When it comes to your nearest theater, please support it! And I'll answer any other questions if you want.

• Brohoof 4

Oh lord, not "Ponies Got the Beat"... But I do have three, non-story-related things I want to know.

1. How long does the opening song last, approximately?
  2. Where do they show the actors: in the opening or end credits?
  3. Does "Off to See the World" play in the credits?

3 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

Oh lord, not "Ponies Got the Beat"... But I do have three, non-story-related things I want to know.

1. How long does the opening song last, approximately?
  2. Where do they show the actors: in the opening or end credits?
  3. Does "Off to See the World" play in the credits?

1. About a minute. It plays in the background of the establishing shot of Canterlot.

2. The end credits. The beginning is just the logo and then it goes right into the movie.

3. Rainbow fades into the credits first, then Off to See the World plays.

General question -- do you feel that they did a decent job at balancing and juggling all the Mane Six characters with the new characters? Obviously the film is focusing on Twi ... but I know some who haven't read the books were concerned with that part. 

Just now, Jeric said:

General question -- do you feel that they did a decent job at balancing and juggling all the Mane Six characters with the new characters? Obviously the film is focusing on Twi ... but I know some who haven't read the books were concerned with that part. 

Yes! All of them get a moment to shine and contribute in their own little ways...except Fluttershy. She, um, kind of didn't do much.

Just now, Jade The Pegasister said:

that kinda makes me nervous, do you think it'll be like that in theaters everywhere when it has it's official release? :lie:

Well this was an early showing, and most of the people there won the tickets or got them from stores like Toys R Us and Target, so it was mostly a family event.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Jade The Pegasister said:

one last question, sorry i'm annoying lol 

without any spoilers was there any emotional scenes or anything that almost made you cry? does it have any emotionally intense scenes?  

No no it's fine! I'm here to answer questions lmao

Anyways, there is a scene involving the Mane 6 and Spike that hit me hard. It's towards the end, it's pretty heartbreaking.

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Shimmering Sparkler said:

No no it's fine! I'm here to answer questions lmao

Anyways, there is a scene involving the Mane 6 and Spike that hit me hard. It's towards the end, it's pretty heartbreaking.

Was there exposition by Twilight or someone about their world for non fans?

1 minute ago, Shimmering Sparkler said:

Surprisingly no. The movie didn't have any narration at all, it just opened with the logo and the soaring pegasi.

Thats strange.  I remember seeing in the art book that the writers wanted an intro that would explain the show to non fans.  Maybe its the scene with Twilight and the math equations relating to the sun and the moon.

2 minutes ago, caseyastevens said:

Thats strange.  I remember seeing in the art book that the writers wanted an intro that would explain the show to non fans.  Maybe its the scene with Twilight and the math equations relating to the sun and the moon.

The intro serves it's purpose. It just shows Equestria is a really happy place, and I think that's all newcomers need to know.

1 minute ago, Shimmering Sparkler said:

The intro serves it's purpose. It just shows Equestria is a really happy place, and I think that's all newcomers need to know.

How would you describe the action scenes.  Was there lots?  How was the action itself?

• The topic was locked