Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - Reviews/Reactions/Discussion Thread

Jeric

@Shimmering Sparkler was the first of us to see the film. He deserves credit for this general review. His thread was locked so I can't quote it easily. But these are his thoughts. 

Howdy y'all! Today I attended an advanced screening of the MLP movie, and boy let me tell ya, it was GREAT!

This is a spoiler free review, if you would like me to do a review detailing the plot then let me know.

When we got there, the theater wasn't open so we had to wait outside. There were a LOOOOOOT of little kids and parents there. For any neighsayers who think the movie will bomb, the theater was packed with loads of kids, parents, and critics, and this was just an early showing! So I think it'll do well.

Once the theater opened, a representative from Lionsgate came out and told us that recording was strictly prohibited, and gave us all free posters and a coloring page, which was a nice touch.

20 minutes later, the movie started! No trailers or nothing, not even the Hanazuki short, which I was looking forward to. It starts off with the Lionsgate logo, and then a small purple sparkle. The sparkle outlines something which is then revealed to be the logo! My Little Pony: The Movie! We're in for a treat today! For a brief moment, the MLP theme song is playing in an orchestrated version, but then, the "Ponies got the Beat" song from the trailer is playing in the background.

The movie's special effects, presentation, and animation are on point. The scenes in certain portions are very well animated and everything about it is gorgeous eye candy. 

The songs are great, I'm a very big fan of "We Got This" and Capper's song. Daniel stepped up his game and it shows.

The voice acting is top notch. Capper has a very nice voice to listen to and the Mane 6 and co brought their A game. Tabitha better win a goddamn Oscar. You can tell the VA's had a lot of fun recording.

The Mane 6 were perfectly in character, and I would argue this is them at their best...well, most of them at least. This movie brought forth a Mane 6 member at her worst, not in terms of writing quality, but in a character sense. You'll know what I mean when you see the movie for yourself.

A lot of supporting characters were there! I spotted Moondancer! And Starlight and Trixie get a nice moment in the credits, I appreciated that. And Discord is in the credits too! 

All in all, it was a great movie! When it comes to your nearest theater, please support it! And I'll answer any other questions if you want.

There. 

This community thread will exist to give your own impressions of the film, post third party reviews, and discuss general elements of the film and each other's ideas. Just as we have done for years with the Equestria Girls Series. 

• Brohoof 9

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

@Shimmering Sparkler was the first of us to see the film. He deserves credit for this general review. His thread was locked so I can't quote it easily. But these are his thoughts. 

There. 

This community thread will exist to give your own impressions of the film, post third party reviews, and discuss general elements of the film and each other's ideas. Just as we have done for years with the Equestria Girls Series. 

Thank you for that! But yes, please support this film! It's a lot of fun and you guys are gonna love it, trust me.

• Brohoof 8

• The topic was pinned

@Jeric

Pinning this because of obvious reasons. All reviews, whether they be from users, non-forum users, or critics, should go here.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 4

Last week Rendy (a fellow Star Wars fan that I met at Celebration) attended the the sneak in NYC. He took to Twitter to say one thing. 

Today he posted his full review. Note he was a fan of the show proper but left after Faust exited the show. We briefly talked about this at Celebration since I was wearing a Star Wars inspired Pony shirt. Basically he is a lapsed fan, and like many of us who do or did find enjoyment in the show Rendy is definitely saturated in geek culture. 

His review can be found here

Since I can't stand his site (no offense Rendy) I'll post some snippets. 

Positive stuff

The film captures the essence of the show from the humor to the characters to even the slang such as sayings like “everypony” instead of “everybody.”  ... 

The movie is faithful to what it's about without giving up its integrity to a Hollywood studio. 

This may say 'My Little Pony: The Movie' by its cover, but under its skin, it's a Disney movie at heart.

.. what really got to me was the villain song sang by Emily Blunt’s Tempest Shadow. If I'm honest with myself, I find her villain song far stronger than (bear with me here) EVERY VILLAIN SONG in the book of animated movies! 

Jeric note: He mentions something in this section you may want to not read if you are adverse to spoilers 

In a year where every other animated movie lacks of creativity or actual emotional value, it took a 'My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic' film adaptation to bring genuine heart and emotion to the big screen. 

Sofar this is the best-animated film of 2017 since ‘The LEGO Batman Movie,’ and I’m not ashamed to say it. Who should be ashamed is Hollywood for not making quality animated features like they used to.

He did have two minor complaints 

Though the film has no product placement, you have celebrity pony placement. You have Sia as a character named Songbird Serenade who just pretty much looks like the pony version of Sia. She has the Sia wig and everything. If that was the case, just call her pony Sia. Her entire design embodies the likeness of Sia. The only redeemable quality out of that is the song Sia provides for the film is actually pretty great. It kind of pisses me off in a way because two of 2017’s Best Original Songs so far came from Sia. You have “To Be Human” from ‘Wonder Woman, ’ and now you have “Rainbow” for this and its an excellent song.

He also previously said that occasionally the lyrics on some songs can be mediocre, but that was generally the only negative he could find. Also if his biggest gripe was celebrity placement that (by his own admission) led to a great song ... not bad. 

He gave the film 4 out if 5 stars and closes on this statement. 

Rightfully taking every best element from the ‘Friendship is Magic’ series, ‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a joyfully inspired TV to film adaptation that brilliantly brings back the magic of what was missing from modern animated cinema: 2D animation.

If this can spark a comeback for 2D animated features, then I am all for it.  

Legit!

Also adding this reaction from a non fan. 

That cracked me up because a few of us have been there the first time the show moved us. 

• Brohoof 5

Here's a review from a YouTuber who reviews MLP stuff, among other things, whom is probably one of the more realistic, if still positive reviews out there.

• Brohoof 3

53 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Here's a review from a YouTuber who reviews MLP stuff, among other things, whom is probably one of the more realistic, if still positive reviews out there.

Not really a fan of this guy's reviews, as it seems he nitpicks a lot.  Not sure I agree with some stuff he said, but still another positive reception.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, caseyastevens said:

Not really a fan of this guy's reviews, as it seems he nitpicks a lot.  Not sure I agree with some stuff he said, but still another positive reception.

I tend to disagree with him from time to time myself. Some of his negative points about are likely taste driven too, as I have heard some adore Tempest. One said they really weren't a fan of Capper, but Foxy said he stole the show. I have a feeling that "Best Movie Character" debates will be taking place in short order ... 

The only thing that I made a face at was when he stated that this film wasn't the masterpiece that we all hoped for. Maybe it's just me, but I was just hoping for it to be 90 minutes of smile worthy pony, not a cinematic tour de force. 

I'm not expecting Casablanca here ... right @PathfinderCS

Anyway, the fact that a fairly critical reviewer basically liked it is telling, and alot of his issues like the lack of AJ and Fluttershy doing much ... I already kinda figured out. 

• Brohoof 2

Expect the early wave of reviews to be more like first impressions. A review on the level of say Channel Awesome wlould require you to watch the movie more than once to really build a case on if something does or doesn't make sense for example. Expect reviews like this when the movie comes out on DVD.

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Jeric said:

The only thing that I made a face at was when he stated that this film wasn't the masterpiece that we all hoped for. Maybe it's just me, but I was just hoping for it to be 90 minutes of smile worthy pony, not a cinematic tour de force. 

I wasn't hoping/expecting this to be a cinematic masterpiece. All I want out of this (and anything I watch, for that matter) is for it to be good.

Edited by PinkiePie97
  • Brohoof 2

36 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

Is that why you changed your profile picture? :P

Nah. I'm just cycling through movie inspired avatars for the next week. Though I do like that idea!

This film critic can't post review until Thursday, but it seems like he enjoyed it

9 hours ago, Jeric said:

I tend to disagree with him from time to time myself. Some of his negative points about are likely taste driven too, as I have heard some adore Tempest. One said they really weren't a fan of Capper, but Foxy said he stole the show. I have a feeling that "Best Movie Character" debates will be taking place in short order ... 

I'm not expecting Casablanca here ... right @PathfinderCS

Anyway, the fact that a fairly critical reviewer basically liked it is telling, and alot of his issues like the lack of AJ and Fluttershy doing much ... I already kinda figured out. 

As I said before, the ponies not going to the pre established series allies is a nonissue for the movie unless you are a big fan like we are and need to nitpick.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

This film critic can't post review until Thursday, but it seems like he enjoyed it

Looks like we know when the media critic embargo is up. 

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

Place your bets peeps. When the review enbargo lifts, how will the imfamous Armond White rate it?

10/10 because nothing can overpower the cuteness that is ponies.

• Brohoof 2

Found another review: http://www.hillcountrynews.com/stories/friendship-saves-the-day-in-my-little-pony-the-movie,76068

It doesn't go into too much detail that can't already be gathered from Wikipedia, except for the villains (Tempest stealing the show, Grubber keeping things from getting too dark, things like that). Overall, another positive review that recommends the film for children and adults, fans and non-fans alike.

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

Found another review: http://www.hillcountrynews.com/stories/friendship-saves-the-day-in-my-little-pony-the-movie,76068

It doesn't go into too much detail that can't already be gathered from Wikipedia, except for the villains (Tempest stealing the show, Grubber keeping things from getting too dark, things like that). Overall, another positive review that recommends the film for children and adults, fans and non-fans alike.

Yer another positive review.

These early smaller reviews are a pretty great sign.

Originally I was expecting a 70% RT but I think I will bump it up to 80-85%

Expecting IMDB to be really high because bronies will flood it.

• Brohoof 4

4 hours ago, dragonargon said:

So in other words Lionsgate is being scum as usual.

Yeah. Even the official publication of National Theater Owners kinda said they don't trust this making money because of LG. "we are being conservative with are numbers due to lack of confidence" or something like that. 

52 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Yer another positive review.

These early smaller reviews are a pretty great sign.

Originally I was expecting a 70% RT but I think I will bump it up to 80-85%

Expecting IMDB to be really high because bronies will flood it.

Do reviews automatically get put into rotten tomatos or do the reviewers have to do it themselves?

• The title was changed to My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - Reviews/Reactions/Discussion Thread
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked