Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - Reviews/Reactions/Discussion Thread

Jeric

29 minutes ago, caseyastevens said:

Do reviews automatically get put into rotten tomatos or do the reviewers have to do it themselves?

You have to apply to be an official critic affiliated with them. After that ... they can easily have their system pull data from the critics' site since they would have a set list to watch, or they could require submissions. 

Here are their requirements

So far none of the reviews I've seen qualify under their publication rules. 

• Brohoof 2

This isn't a review, but a news report from Screen Rant that Blade Runner is currently the most buzzed-about movie coming out this week. It also mentions My Little Pony, and how it has a much lower tally. While this may sound disheartening (Screen Rant is almost dismissive of it), the article does mention that MLP is the only other movie coming out this week that's getting any sort of noticeable buzz. I don't think we'll be seeing it top the box office this weekend, but the fact that it's actually getting noticed now isn't half-bad.

Also, Patton Oswalt gives his best wishes! https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/914637995420078082

• Brohoof 2

50 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

This isn't a review, but a news report from Screen Rant that Blade Runner is currently the most buzzed-about movie coming out this week. It also mentions My Little Pony, and how it has a much lower tally. While this may sound disheartening (Screen Rant is almost dismissive of it), the article does mention that MLP is the only other movie coming out this week that's getting any sort of noticeable buzz. I don't think we'll be seeing it top the box office this weekend, but the fact that it's actually getting noticed now isn't half-bad.

Also, Patton Oswalt gives his best wishes! https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/914637995420078082

I never expected this to come close to Blade Runner so I was already anticipating a #2 opening. In the end, any positive buzz for this film (especially within visibility of the geek community, animation fans, and families) is good.

I'm optimistic of a 20 million OW (though that may be a stretch). 

• Brohoof 1

How about some of the bigger YouTube reviewers? Which ones would you like to see take a crack at this movie when it comes stateside?

I'd love to see Andre looking at this movie. He checked out the original Equestria Girls and got through it okay. (I'm fond of EG myself, but you have to admit it wasn't MLP's finest theatrical outing.)

AniMat is guaranteed to be checking it out, since he he almost exclusively reviews every manner of theatrical animation, and he already found the trailer promising. Though it's kind of amusing that his exposure to EG led to him calling the Mane Six the "Equestria girls".

I can see Chris Stuckmann looking into it if it gets enough good buzz. I'd really be surprised if he decided to watch it either way, though. Then again, he also watched the "Max Steel" movie on a whim. (*shudder*)

• Brohoof 3

Uhm..... does anyone have the feeling this Movie is gonna be one of those rare cases of really good movies that will bomb HARDLY at the box office? My friend Chevistian (who some will know as well) who really loved the Movie as well, told me that there were about 10 people in the theater he went watching it, and the room was very big....

5 minutes ago, Sly said:

Uhm..... does anyone have the feeling this Movie is gonna be one of those rare cases of really good movies that will bomb HARDLY at the box office? My friend Chevistian (who some will know as well) who really loved the Movie as well, told me that there were about 10 people in the theater he went watching it, and the room was very big....

And yet there are also cases of the movie being sold out in some theaters and a source saying one of the early screenings was "packed"

I don't take that as evidence that it will be a huge success though

Anecdotal evidence is useless.

It is also important to note that these are early screenings and not the date every single ad will tell you.

17 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

How about some of the bigger YouTube reviewers? Which ones would you like to see take a crack at this movie when it comes stateside?

I'd love to see Andre looking at this movie. He checked out the original Equestria Girls and got through it okay. (I'm fond of EG myself, but you have to admit it wasn't MLP's finest theatrical outing.)

AniMat is guaranteed to be checking it out, since he he almost exclusively reviews every manner of theatrical animation, and he already found the trailer promising. Though it's kind of amusing that his exposure to EG led to him calling the Mane Six the "Equestria girls".

I can see Chris Stuckmann looking into it if it gets enough good buzz. I'd really be surprised if he decided to watch it either way, though. Then again, he also watched the "Max Steel" movie on a whim. (*shudder*)

JeremyJahns, I actually had a dream he gave it a worth buying on blu-ray because I am a loser I guess  So I would like to see his real thoughts

Edited by Ryanmahaffe

1 minute ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

And yet there are also cases of the movie being sold out in some theaters and a source saying one of the early screenings was "packed"

The worst thing is, the theaters that are showing the Movie are WAY few. 2500 is a really low number... it might go up, but not by that much. Even if some theaters could be "packed" there are still too few ones...

2 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

It is also important to note that these are early screenings and not the date every single ad will tell you.

JeremyJahns, I actually had a dream he gave it a worth buying on blu-ray because I am a loser I guess  So I would like to see his real thoughts

I'd see it more as a good time, no alcohol required.

1 minute ago, Sly said:

The worst thing is, the theaters that are showing the Movie are WAY few. 2500 is a really low number... it might go up, but not by that much. Even if some theaters could be "packed" there are still too few ones...

Which means that Hasbro likely have more moderate expectations, which means that if the movie does 60-80 million WW, for them it would be a decent success.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Sly said:

I believe I mentioned this before, but good word of mouth would go a long way in stirring up interest.

2 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

I'd see it more as a good time, no alcohol required.

Going by early reviews it may score higher than that, Jeremy may have some pretty low expectations and walk out pleasantly surprised. I mean he gave Frozen a blue ray

2 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

I believe I mentioned this before, but good word of mouth would go a long way in stirring up interest.

The marketing has been really strong lately as well and it seems despite the low amount of theaters they are placed well so that most people are in reasonable distance.

5 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Going by early reviews it may score higher than that, Jeremy may have some pretty low expectations and walk out pleasantly surprised. I mean he gave Frozen a blue ray

The marketing has been really strong lately as well and it seems despite the low amount of theaters they are placed well so that most people are in reasonable distance.

Son't expect the success of a Disney or a Marvel Movie thought.

I watched it and I Only have one thing to say: TOO MANY GODDAMN SONGS!!! Other than that, it was... alright. My other big complaint is when

twilight tried to steal the pearl

Like what the actual buck!?! She would NEVER do that!!! Do they really expect me to believe after everything twi has learned she would do something like that? Unreal. 

11 minutes ago, Twilight Kyle said:

I watched it and I Only have one thing to say: TOO MANY GODDAMN SONGS!!!

Are you seriously complaining about songs in a musical? 

• Brohoof 2

56 minutes ago, ihhh said:

Are you seriously complaining about songs in a musical? 

Yeah, so? I don't like the songs, I was expecting a normal movie, not a musical. I really don't understand why they felt they needed to make it a musical instead of a "normal" movie. 

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, immblueversion said:

At the end of Cinema Snob's review of the 1980 MLP movie he guaranteed he was seeing the new one. It doesn't surprise me, Brad's also voluntarily seen Barbie movies in theaters so I was already expecting this. Probably won't be a review though, but he'll definitely do a Midnight Screenings vlog for it.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Twilight Kyle said:

Yeah, so? I don't like the songs, I was expecting a normal movie, not a musical. I really don't understand why they felt they needed to make it a musical instead of a "normal" movie. 

Uh, because MLP FIM is a musical show.  Don't understand why your so surprised they made the movie a musical.  Also I strongly disagree with you on Twi.  It made sense.

Edited by caseyastevens

10 hours ago, immblueversion said:

I can see Chris Stuckmann looking into it if it gets enough good buzz. I'd really be surprised if he decided to watch it either way, though.

He reviews almost everything these days it seems, so I expect him to check it out. He tends to be fairly even and fair with most of his reviews. 

7 hours ago, Twilight Kyle said:

I watched it and I Only have one thing to say: TOO MANY GODDAMN SONGS!!!

And with that, we have our first outlier. 

Also, musicals are normal movies. It's a genre ... or subgenre. It's a pretty freaking old one too. ;)

• Brohoof 2

It has about the same amount of in movie (not counting credits) songs as Frozen looking at the soundtrack.

MLP is known for it's music as well as it's great animation and good writing, should have expected this to be a musical movie. It being a musical will also probably help critic scores because it will give them that disney nostalgia.

Edited by Ryanmahaffe
  • Brohoof 3