Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - Reviews/Reactions/Discussion Thread

Jeric

2 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

For the lowest review so far, this critic is pretty open to the idea of adults getting some enjoyment out of it.

Best part was when she called the Storm King "a cranky cross between Darth Vader and Lou Grant of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show.'"

Uhm, not sure is a low score: it's a 2.5 out of 4 not out of 5. 

It's still "good" in their eyes. 

Edited by Sly

2 minutes ago, Sly said:

Uhm, not sure is a low score: it's a 2.5 out of 4 not out of 5. 

It's still "good" in their eyes. 

Of course it's not a bad score. We're saying that "good" is the lowest critics are giving it so far.

Edited by immblueversion

Spoiler

I seen the movie leaked and it was worth the long wait. I also agree that Applejack and Fluttershy should had a bigger role. The ending reminds me of the final battle against Kane in Poltergeist 2 with Twilight ascending with the staff.

Edited by Buttonmash1973

1 hour ago, caseyastevens said:

WeTheBorg uploaded a very positive review on EQD.

Indeed; that one was quite heartening to read.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/10/review-my-little-pony-movie-is-must-see.html#more

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

IMDB dropped from 7.5 to a 6.4, only two more 1s given than before, not sure how that happened.

IMDb uses an internal algorithm that assigns weight to specific members who rate more movies, and they also reduce weighting to outliers that don't have an established history of voting. 

1 hour ago, Theknightofdraconia said:

Deadline.com has it pegged to open at $14 to $17 million, so it's beating an Idris Elba and Kate Winslet staring movie :)

And that's closer to my 20 million expectation. Too many in the industry really low balled this film. This is a bit more of a fair predicted for an October animated film with a built in audience. 

Of course that was before the leak and the late embargo, so who knows what influence that will have. 

1 minute ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

I think you already posted that one.

4 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Pretty sure this one has been posted but it is the lowest score so far with a 2 1/2  out of 5

http://www.theintelligencer.com/entertainment/article/My-Little-Pony-The-Movie-Sugary-sweet-and-12252496.php

Ok. I'm a massive Star Wars fan. I watch many many Star Wars themed YouTube shows and one of my favorite shows is the tongue in cheek Millennial Falcon hosted by Jenny Nicholson. She is apparently a massive Pony fan. 

At Celebration this year I met her and we actually had a fun conversation about ridiculous fan theories about Snoke. She get looking at my MLP shirt, one that was Star Wars themed. She finally asked where I got it and I pointed her to the site. She paused and said, "Spike is best Pony". 

Anyway, she loved the film.

• Brohoof 5

This is only semi-related, but someone from "The Wrap" compiled a list of 10 recommended episodes for people to check out before the movie if they're curious. Gotta admit, some of these choices are unexpected; they even include the original 1984 "Rescue at Midnight Castle" TV special (not that I'm complaining about that), though it does mention that it's separate from the 2010 series (then again, its accompanying image is from the 1986 movie). But when you get down to them, they are very easy for newcomers to get into, which is what I think the writer had in mind. So I have no complaints.

https://www.thewrap.com/top-ten-little-pony-episodes-ranked-photos/

Oh, and a review from a bona-fide news article from someone who is actually deeply familiar with the show: http://www.sfweekly.com/film/the-world-of-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-gets-epic/

• Brohoof 2

Had to make an account to make a review here. Because of the film release schedule of my country, I was able to watch it on October 4, two days before the release on US. I also downloaded the leak on that day, but I prefer to see the film on the big screen first. Lucky for me, there is only ONE mall theater in my area that had the movie.

Anywho, I finally watched the movie and here are my thoughts about it.

The presentation of the movie was really done well. I love the shots and the animation were great, though I don't like the animation style. I also love the songs with "Time to be Awesome" being my favorite. The voice acting with the regular actors and the guest stars were well done. The story is predictable and definitely something that I already saw before but with the great visuals, awesome score and songs and an epic presentation, this is a film that I didn't regret watching on the big screen.

On unrelated note, the Hanazuki short was great. Visually, it looks the same as the TV series but you can tell that they improve the animation to make it suitable on the big screen. The story's nothing special but sweet.

And now, my random comments on the movie.

1. I find it weird that the Friendship Festival is a pony only event. I was expecting that they would invite Changelings, Dragons, Yaks or even Discord on the event. But nope, it's only ponies. Discord is only there in balloon form and credits.

2. I'm actually glad not everypony is on the Friendship Festival. At least they didn't let the other areas pony-less.

3. Glad that Shining Armor is not in the festival. At least they have security in the Crystal Empire. Can't say the same to Ponyville.

4. Pinkie's crazy in this one. Like MAD crazy.

5. I actually find it interesting that Pinkie is the one who called out Twilight's mistake on the Sea Kingdom.

6. The other princesses didn't put up a fight. Cadance, I can excuse since it was unexpected to be petrified. But Celestia and Luna are just standing there for them to be petrified.

7. Was it really necessary for Rainbow to do a Sonic Rainboom at the end of "Time to be Awesome"?

8. It could be an act of desperation, but I found it unlike of Twilight to try to steal the pearl and use her friends like a tool for distraction.

9. The ponies that I thought would be skeptical and cautious to strangers easily trusted a suspicious cat with just one song. 

10. Why are there no royal guards in the festival? This was a public event, they could at least offer some sort of protection on any possible threat. 

11. What would the movie be like if Starlight was part of the main cast?

12. The other princesses are immobilized in this one, again.

13. I like that the mane 6 and not just Twilight had a role in the climax.

14. I find it funny how the castle was fixed at the end with magic like nothing happened. 

15. Queen Novo and the other seaponies/hippogriffs didn't go after Princess Skystar and only appeared at the end. 

16. I was expecting the background ponies to help the fight but alas, it didn't happened.

17. It's gonna be weird seeing the next episode this Saturday back on Flash. This is what happens when the animation style of the movie doesn't match the show. It's an improvement over the show but the difference is striking.

18. Why are the hippogriffs only now mentioned by Celestia but not on other times when Equestria was in trouble?

19. No theme song. Just an orchestral version of it at the beginning.

OK, some of this are basically nitpicking but I just wanna let my thoughts about the movie.

All in all, 9/10 as a MLP story but 7/10 as an animated movie.

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

Ok. I'm a massive Star Wars fan. I watch many many Star Wars themed YouTube shows and one of my favorite shows is the tongue in cheek Millennial Falcon hosted by Jenny Nicholson. She is apparently a massive Pony fan.

Apparently? As a huge follower of fan works and animations you have no idea how much I was taken aback by that statement. While she may be big into Star Wars now, Miss Nicholson went by another shared name with one Griffin Lewis, as Sherclop Pones where they created just a little series called "Friendship is Witchcraft." Yeah she's been a fan of Pony since the beginning.

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 3

7 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

Apparently? As a huge follower of fan works and animations you have no idea how much I was taken aback by that statement. While she may be big into Star Wars now, Miss Nicholson went another shared name with one Griffin Lewis, as Sherclop Pones where they created just a little series called "Friendship is Witchcraft." Yeah she's been a fan of Pony since the beginning.

Ah. I'm familiar with the team name and their series, but by the time I done head first into the fandom they were slowing down a bit so I never paid much attention to the real names. Also amusing since we are talking about Cathy Weseluck on Twitter as I type this. 

Fucking small ass world! Two fandoms collide and I had no idea how much :P

• Brohoof 3

7 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

That review...gave the film one-and-a-half stars. And you know what else? The exact same review with the exact same author gave it a D+ on another site. http://www.myajc.com/entertainment/movies/little-pony-the-movie-delivers-nostalgia/dx5bKECWRRu4BdMAnqAXRN/

10 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

>Number 9
>Simple Ways

440469__safe_rainbow+dash_computer_happy

Whats wrong?  SImple Ways was a good episode.

1 minute ago, immblueversion said:

That review...gave the film one-and-a-half stars. And you know what else? The exact same review with the exact same author gave it a D+ on another site. http://www.myajc.com/entertainment/movies/little-pony-the-movie-delivers-nostalgia/dx5bKECWRRu4BdMAnqAXRN/

WHich is very odd, because his review doesn't sound negative at all.  That grade just came out of nowhere.

1 minute ago, immblueversion said:

I didn't even notice the Star rating in the first one, it seems odd because I read it and it seemed quite positive.

And why would someone write for two sites like that and post the exact same review? Agenda?

2 minutes ago, caseyastevens said:

Whats wrong?  SImple Ways was a good episode.

Even without taking Rarity's insanely high standards into consideration, I thought it was a pretty bad episode, I thought Rarity was awful in it and Trenderhoof is one of the worst one-shots ever. Honestly I think it's the worst episode of S4(and yes I'm still aware of SPTWOM and RF and I'll still take those episodes over it)

Even without that episode, that top 10 list is....really weak, only episode I feel actually warrants being there is Cutie Map

• Brohoof 1