Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - Reviews/Reactions/Discussion Thread

Jeric

5 hours ago, Widdershins said:

In all honesty, If you're going to look up some random opinion on the internet, look at it and say "Well, this person I never have or ever will meet and likely might not exist didn't like this thing I have yet to experience, so I won't bother at all myself then." then... you probably don't deserve to enjoy yourself... if you live only by dint of the orders of another.

Actually, To BE Fair... Isn't Tryhard Sparkles kinda the one out of the Main Six that's so far gotten the most mental breakdowns? Can we get a chart up in here of how many mental conniptions our mares have had? Because that's kinda a thing the show loves to do! 

I for one was with Twilight on that. The world was at stake here... might need a bit more than just throwing happy-go-lucky Friendship tactics at the problem and hope it goes away.

...I'll have to delve into that more in my review, I suppose...

It was more like well I don't know how to describe it, she lost hope for a second and gave up 

it was heartbreaking not much of a mental breakdown more just a moment of hopelessness and regret for her 

So I just came back from seeing the movie and I think it was pretty damn good. I don't think it's the greatest thing ever but I do like it and I will explain why but first I want to say. I have seen a few negative reviews of this film so far. It seems (at least to me) that the ones who are eagerly ripping this movie to shreds are people who have decided it was going to be garbage before the film even started.

"Oh well it's My Little Pony so like... it's BOUND to be AWFUL, just a soulless 90 minute toy commercial. There is NO WAY they could make a GOOD movie out of this. Upon viewing the film I was right, 2/10."

I wish more people went into this film with an open mind. The thing that really get's under my skin is when a critic says they know bronies who don't like the movie and says "well even bronies hate this movie." As if the two bronies you know who didn't like the film represent a fandom of hundreds of thousands of ppl, fuck off *coughohhiwhattheflickcough.*

Also before I start, spoiler warning! I tried to keep the review as spoiler free as I could by keeping things vague but I still do explain some pretty spoiler-ish stuff so this is a warning. 

However what are my thoughts? Well I personally love the film and I think it was great, there are a few small flaws and I guess I will cover those first. A few people are complaining about the pacing but the only place I have any sort of issue with it is how quickly the parrots decided to be pirates again. If it were up to me I would have had them be a bit harder to convince and show apprehensiveness towards the idea, but that's a small nitpick. I wish the storm king had a bit more screen time as well, Tempest was a great villain but I wish we could have seen a little more of the big bad "magic tough guy". I have seen people already putting the film under a microscope already and spotting errors which don't even phase me, Humans are not perfect if the animation has a couple errors like missing wings on a pony in the background then that's fine and understandable. If an animation has a lot of errors or ones that really noticeable are then it's a concern. The movie has only one of those moment's when the cake falls on top of Twilight , I think we should be able to see RD's eye from the angle she's at but she doesn't have it. that's the biggest error I spotted. Hopefully I explained that well enough, this error is also present in the first trailer. 

Now about the things I DID like. The songs were great but a few were kinda forgettable like Crapper's song, Rainbow also doesn't stick with me either, I think it's too short and Sia sings like she got a mouth full of marbles. The songs I do like are, We Got This, especially Rarity's verse in that song. I like It's Time To Be Awesome, that's a good one. Probably my favorite song in the movie is One Small Thing, just a real fun and jazzy number. Tempest's song, Open Your Eyes, was pretty good as well.

I really like all the guest stars performances but if I had to pick my favorite... I know this is a strange and unorthodox choice especially considering her character really have that much screen time but my favorite was Uzo Aduba as Queen Novo. IDK why but I just really loved the voice she gave. but all of them were great I really liked Emily Blunt as Tempest Shadow, Liev Schreiber as the Storm King was great too. Taye Diggs was pretty funny as Capper.

The animation was very Disney-like and top notch. Fuck anyone who says otherwise. I know that might be a pretty heavy statement but I don't care! The animation is not cheap or bad in this, it's AMAZING. Yes it is different and more whimsical than the show but everything still retains it's form. I was worried that it would be so different to the point of alienation but not so, I was able to adapt and accept it pretty quickly. 

The story is pretty good too, not the most original thing in the world, but I liked it well enough. I really like the scene where Twilight fights with her friends. That scene almost made me cry when I saw it. Powerful moment there, it was real stupid of Twilight to try to do what she did but I am pretty sure her moral compass was thrown way out of whack being in such unfamiliar territory. Her actions, while highly irrational upon reflection, were explainable given the circumstances. 

The film gets real intense at and end and some parts left me on the edge of my seat, especially the scenes of Canterlot near the end of the movie. It was almost uncomfortable to watch it was so grim, and I mean that in a good way. 

So all and all I really liked the movie I highly recommend it. All my fears and uncertainties were laid to rest. I was initially worried about the inclusion of the anthro characters like Capper and the pirates cause I thought they would not fit at all but somehow they made it work and I couldn't be happier. I ended up liking the pirates way more than I thought I would. 

So for my rating I think the movie was well worth the wait!
9.5/10 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 4

Omg...the movie was phenomenal. The character development was stellar and don't get me started on the seapony transformation...just brilliant. It's too bad it led to the big vertical drop though...ugh...that was heartbreaking...only negative comment I could say are: The Storm King needed more development. He had know "reason behind the motives" story like Tempest did, through her song, and now...speaking of which...we now know that an Ursa Minor is capable of slicing unicorn horns. 

8 minutes ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

speaking of which...we now know that an Ursa Minor is capable of slicing unicorn horns. 

And they also have a specific market value too, as a vendor was selling some in Klugetown.

15 minutes ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

Omg...the movie was phenomenal. The character development was stellar and don't get me started on the seapony transformation...just brilliant. It's too bad it led to the big vertical drop though...ugh...that was heartbreaking...only negative comment I could say are: The Storm King needed more development. He had know "reason behind the motives" story like Tempest did, through her song, and now...speaking of which...we now know that an Ursa Minor is capable of slicing unicorn horns. 

Storm King was just a guy who wanted power and control.  He was still an entertaining bad guy.

8 minutes ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

And we also learned that unicorns can use magic even if they don't have their horn.

That was a fun bit of lore. She still had magic and could use it offensively and with the light show ... but we never saw Tempest levitating anything (her attempt as a filly to levitate produced magical discharge). So it looks like a unicorn horn may help to focus magic for most spells, and with Tempest it's ... more raw. 

2 minutes ago, caseyastevens said:

Storm King was just a guy who wanted power and control.  He was still an entertaining bad guy.

Yeah I look at the Storm King as My Little Pony doing a kid friendly Negan from Walking Dead. A dark sense of humor, a desire to push his image, and a conqueror who demands people under him work for him.

6 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

So, I know I have been bringing up the critics a lot in regard to this film. Main reason is the fact that I feel some critics are absolutely tearing this movie apart unfairly.

Look no further than this review by some dumbass at the Hollywood Reporter. This is the caliber of some of the reviews we have at Rotten Tomatoes.

59d7c243e1d24_TERRIBLEREVIEWPART1.thumb.PNG.7c93a6732d6d96f995cc50e4fce13ea4.PNG59d7c24a05005_TERRIBLEREVIEWPART2.thumb.PNG.d5f81a9b0ae3c5cc783ec88c0b9436df.PNG

Yes, this man actually says that the MLP Movie might be WORSE than the Emoji Movie and this review IS on Rotten Tomatoes. Notice a huge issue in this whole thing? He has the nerve to say it could be worse than the pile of shit Emoji Movie, but then not ONCE describes what he liked or didn't like, other than him basically making it clear that he just hates the franchise. This is what we are dealing with when it comes to some of these negative reviews and I am already sick of it.

Some might think I could be taking the review a bit too personal, but the way I see it, the movie is good. Not spectacular, but very solid and it is clear a lot of work went into it. Then we have snarky 'critics' like this that think they can just shit all over it without providing any real feedback on anything. It is appalling.

If there is a way I can report this review on Rotten Tomatoes, I am gonna do that.

I saw your comments on that article ... I agree with them completely. It was not a review. There was zero substance explaining why he didn't like it and why he feels that no other audience will either (that last part is actually important in doing reviews ... at least some negative reviews acknowledge that fans may like it) 

3 hours ago, VeroxVitrus said:

Like I predicted from seeing the trailers, this movie was going to be beautiful but the story would doom it to low ratings.

Your grammar may be wrong. Starting with the word like presupposes that your prediction was accurate. Audience ratings are actually pretty damned good. There is almost a 30% variance between audience and critics on RT which should tell you that as always ... truth resists simplicity. 

7 hours ago, Widdershins said:

In all honesty, If you're going to look up some random opinion on the internet, look at it and say "Well, this person I never have or ever will meet and likely might not exist didn't like this thing I have yet to experience, so I won't bother at all myself then." then... you probably don't deserve to enjoy yourself... if you live only by dint of the orders of another.

Actually, To BE Fair... Isn't Tryhard Sparkles kinda the one out of the Main Six that's so far gotten the most mental breakdowns? Can we get a chart up in here of how many mental conniptions our mares have had? Because that's kinda a thing the show loves to do! 

I for one was with Twilight on that. The world was at stake here... might need a bit more than just throwing happy-go-lucky Friendship tactics at the problem and hope it goes away.

...I'll have to delve into that more in my review, I suppose...

Ok you win my "Favorite person of the day" award for using both conniption and dint. =D

• Brohoof 3

To add on to that, there's now a consensus that I think sums up the situation pretty dang well:

Charming and sweet, My Little Pony: The Movie will please its dedicated fanbase, even if it's unlikely to encourage non-devotees to gallop along for the ride.

I was very hopeful that this movie would be the thing to completely break any doubts people still had in the property, but in hindsight this would've been really difficult to pull off, even if the film clearly did what it could to do just that. Ah well, at least a fair number of people liked it, and the audience rating is at 91%.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

To add on to that, there's now a consensus that I think sums up the situation pretty dang well:

I was very hopeful that this movie would be the thing to completely break any doubts people still had in the property, but in hindsight this would've been really difficult to pull off, even if the film clearly did what it could to do just that. Ah well, at least a fair number of people liked it, and the audience rating is at 91%.

I'm not surprised. One reviewer did say, this is a good rental.

the harshest one was saying..it was worse then the Emoji movie(Hollywood reporter)

It will most likely drop a lot lower because the site relies so heavily on critics, and as most of the reviews tell you, they just are not really looking past their preconceived notions.

They are looking at it as a film based upon a toy for little girls. A couple acknowledge the TV show but then go right back to blabbing on less about the film and anything in it and more about the idea of it in general. That tells me most of them went in either wanting, or expecting to hate it... and when you take that frame of mind... by golly you are darn well going to hate it. Outside of that, the general audience seems to like it, and all of those scores seem to be sitting pretty damn high.

• Brohoof 5

Ok, that was incredible. I went with my local group and it was certainly stellar. You can definitely tell they put a lot of effort into this. There's just no merit to the idea that it isn't high-quality.

Songs...were great. There were like eight of them, and that seemed a little excessive, but not a big complaint. I liked the new characters a lot, especially Tempest and Chapper. Storm King is underwhelming and doesn't come off as very intimidating nor impactful. Plot seemed to have a lot of twists in it, which I liked. It brought variety and unpredictability to the film. There was some annoying plot armor, though, like how the three princesses conveniently got solidified, and Twilight didn't. Isn't this like the 3rd or 4th time the royalty have been rendered helpless? Animation was also top-notch, although it made for some cringeworthy moments. I'd prefer Flash puppets honestly, but the new variation of art made it feel new. 

It deserves a 9/10 from me, although I'm admittedly biased. Will have to rewatch for sure.

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, VeroxVitrus said:

An update on the rotten tomatoes mlp page, the film is now rotten at 59%

What's the Audience Score?

5 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

It will most likely drop a lot lower because the site relies so heavily on critics, and as most of the reviews tell you, they just are not really looking past their preconceived notions.

They are looking at it as a film based upon a toy for little girls. A couple acknowledge the TV show but then go right back to blabbing on less about the film and anything in it and more about the idea of it in general. That tells me most of them went in either wanting, or expecting to hate it... and when you take that frame of mind... by golly you are darn well going to hate it. Outside of that, the general audience seems to like it, and all of those scores seem to be sitting pretty damn high.

Right. This is a series that one really does want to check on audience score a little. Obviously you should check something out yourself, but that score tells you that parents and fans like this quite a bit. Same thing with most niche properties. 

2 minutes ago, Toon4Thought said:

91%

And with Pony, that's really the only thing that should matter. This film was never going to be a critical darling. It was never going to be a box office hit. I was actually expecting a lower audience rating ... 80% ... I'm happy to say I was wrong there ... 

• Brohoof 4

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

And with Pony, that's really the only thing that should matter. This film was never going to be a critical darling. It was never going to be a box office hit. I was actually expecting a lower audience rating ... 80% ... I'm happy to say I was wrong there ... 

I think when it comes to films Critics tend to look at how well made a film was made while the audience is just looking for a fun film. A film can win oscars or a grammy but in the end that's just an award for making the Critics love the film. But the thing is people will go to the critics to decide to see the film or not instead of the audience. Who would you pick to get an opinion on a comic? Some random guy walking down the streets or a comic book collector working in a comic store? Words can hurt ratings and in the dark cynical world we live in it can hurt the film by stopping people from watching it

Time to talk about the movie in spoiler fashion.

I genuently liked it. The songs and the animation were great. The art style shift takes some getting used to, but once you do, you start to notice the little details like how detailed the backgrounds look. All songs are pretty much Disney quality (I instantly bought One Small Thing after the movie was over).

Now, there are flaws. First off, Fluttershy does next to nothing. She does one awesome thing in the climax fight, but other than that, she either stands there or cowards. I would say this is because she didn't get matched up with any of the new characters (like Pinkie with Skystsr) but then you remember AJ and Spike didn't and they did more. I will say though her cousnling that henchmen was really funny. 

The other flaw is that the first act is way too fast paced. It's basically they have the party and they're thrown into the conflict. It thankfully gets better about a quarter of the way through.

other than that, it's a pretty fun ride. I could easily nitpick other things like some IGN or Rotton Tomatoes critics have, but that would ruin the fun. And yes, this film is fun. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

It's not the first time the reception of professional critics and audiences was polarized. Take Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The film received great reviews from critics, but was panned by audiences. It's got a 70% on RT from critics and only a 51% audience score.

Edited by Tiny Hoofs

3 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

Time to talk about the movie in spoiler fashion.

I genuently liked it. The songs and the animation were great. The art style shift takes some getting used to, but once you do, you start to notice the little details like how detailed the backgrounds look. All songs are pretty much Disney quality (I instantly bought One Small Thing after the movie was over).

Now, there are flaws. First off, Fluttershy does next to nothing. She does one awesome thing in the climax fight, but other than that, she either stands there or cowards. I would say this is because she didn't get matched up with any of the new characters (like Pinkie with Skystsr) but then you remember AJ and Spike didn't and they did more. I will say though her cousnling that henchmen was really funny. 

The other flaw is that the first act is way too fast paced. It's basically they have the party and they're thrown into the conflict. It thankfully gets better about a quarter of the way through.

other than that, it's a pretty fun ride. I could easily nitpick other things like some IGN or Rotton Tomatoes critics have, but that would ruin the fun. And yes, this film is fun. 

My first viewing I thought the first act was fast, but after re-watching it, It doesn't bother me anymore, and I don't consider it to be too fast any more.  

I saw the movie at the first showing today at my theater, but it was pretty empty for the first showing of debut day. Just a couple families in the theater alongside me and my brother. Despite that, I really enjoyed the movie myself.

For all it's worth, the animation and the music was amazing. Also, since Wikipedia and the MLP Wiki have written up the synopsis for the movie already, I'm not sure whether I'll be okay writing up my take on what happened in the movie as it is.

Either way, here's what I saw:

Everything is going great for the first annual Friendship Festival being held in Canterlot. Twilight is struggling to handle the stress as she tries to get the other Princesses to help with lighting for Songbird Serenade's performance that night, but they assure her everything is fine without them.

Following a song by the Mane Six involving a few other ponies, including cameos from many characters, like Cheese Sandwich, Coco Pommel, Sassy Saddles, Starlight, Trixie, the Crusaders, Bulk Biceps, and more, the song is ruined at the end as Twilight is buried in a five-layer cake by Pinkie, before having to speak to Songbird herself. However, things take a turn for the worse when a thunderclap draws everyone to the sky as the storm clouds preceding the Storm King's armada approach, and as Tempest's airship touches down, the other Princesses join Twilight as Grubber appears and introduces Tempest. When Luna makes the mistake of asking Tempest how she is going to take their magic when she is sorely outnumbered, the panic caused by the arrival of the Storm Guards gives Tempest the chance to begin encasing the Princesses in obsidian with her Obsidian Orbs, starting with Cadance, then Celestia, and finally Luna, who Twilight barely saves from shattering before Rainbow saves Twilight from meeting the same fate, leaving Derpy to end up being caught in the crossfire. Crushing Twilight's discarded tiara underfoot, Tempest sends Grubber to find her, but when a Storm Guard reflects Twilight's spell with his shield, it destroys the bridge, and causes the Mane Six to be swept away to safety.

Tempest does not take it well, and after telling the Storm King she'll have everything ready for him in three days, sets out in pursuit with Grubber and her two personal Storm Guards.

The Mane Six decide to hunt down Queen Novo, hoping she'll help them, leading to them arriving in Klugetown and meeting Capper, who protects them from the locals, but double-crosses them when he tries to sell them off to crime boss Verko to settle his debt, before Tempest's arrival allows them to escape once more on the airship belonging to Captain Celaeno and her crew, who nearly throw them overboard before their mandatory lunch break interrupts, allowing Rainbow to convince Celaeno to revolt and resume her old life as a pirate. However, Rainbow's celebration with performing a Sonic Rainboom alerts Tempest to their whereabouts, leading to the Mane Six escaping again, while an enraged Tempest destroys Celaeno's airship with her, her crew, and Capper still aboard.

Reaching Mount Aris, the Mane Six are soon swept underwater where they nearly drown, before being saved by Princess Skystar, who takes them to see her mother, Queen Novo, who reveals her Pearl of Transformation as she turns the Mane Six into seaponies and Spike into a pufferfish. Though Twilight attempts to convince her to help them, Novo refuses, mostly out of fear of her Pearl falling into the wrong hands, especially considering how she nearly lost it before to Tempest. However, Pinkie Pie, through song, manages to convince Novo to agree to help them, only for the effort to be in vain when Novo is alerted to Twilight having tried to take the Pearl in the meantime, convincing her that the Mane Six were as untrustworthy as Tempest was, and she exiles them from her kingdom, returning them to normal as well.

Pinkie Pie erupts at Twilight at how all her effort in talking Novo over was for nothing, while Twilight tries to convince her friends that she only did what she felt she had to do because it is her Tempest is after as she's the only Princess left not captured in obsidian, so Canterlot's fate hangs on her shoulders. Finally, when Pinkie pushes her too far, Twilight erupts at her in fury, thinking she'd be better off without them, only to realize what she just said too late as, angry, bitter, and upset with Twilight, the rest of the Mane Six leave her to contemplate her actions. Heartbroken at having essentially destroyed Equestria's last hope of salvation, Twilight is easy prey for Tempest to capture to finally take back to Canterlot.

When the rest of the Mane Six learn of it, joined by Capper, Celaeno, and her crew, who survived the destruction of Celaeno's airship, along with Princess Skystar, the gang set course back to Canterlot to help Twilight.

Meanwhile, back in Canterlot, with most ponies enslaved, while others like the Crusaders and Songbird are kept in cages, Storm King arrives to finally complete his plan as he embeds the Staff of Sacanas at the center of the pattern in the middle of the throne room floor, causing it to create a process that sees Twilight and the petrified Princesses have their eyes glow as their magic is sucked out of their horns and into the Staff, finally granting Storm King the power to control the weather, along with a few other abilities as well, such as controlling the Sun and Moon himself.

The Mane Six are able to slip back into Canterlot acting as Capper's prisoners to deliver to the Storm King with a congratulatory cake containing Skystar and Celaeno, along with Celaeno's crew, but when Grubber blows their cover, they are forced to go into action, fighting their way to the castle, though Fluttershy uses her kindness to actually get one Storm Guard to break down crying as he talked with her before she had to rejoin the others. Unfortunately, when Storm King sees what is happening, he decides it is time to wipe Canterlot from the face of the planet, and summons a tornado to tear the capital apart.

When Twilight saves a double-crossed Tempest from being sucked up by the tornado, Tempest begins to realize her error with siding with the Storm King in the first place. However, before Storm King can finish Twilight and Tempest off, the Mane Six, fired towards the castle from Pinkie's giant party cannon by Celaeno's crewmen, disarm Storm King of the Staff of Sacanas, leaving it embedded in the stained glass window over Celestia and Luna's thrones. As the Mane Six and Storm King vie to see who reaches the Staff first, the window finally gives way from the stress, leaving Storm King and Twilight, with Twilight clutching the Staff, to be sucked into the tornado.

For a moment, as the storm dies down and the tornado dissipates, the Mane Six fear Twilight was lost forever, but the Princess of Friendship soon descends with the Staff of Sacanas in her hooves, battered, exhausted, but triumphant. As the Mane Six reunite and share a group hug, Tempest turns to leave herself, before discovering the Storm King preparing to finish the job she started by turning the Mane Six into obsidian statues themselves with a spare Obsidian Orb. Tempest sacrifices herself to ensure the orb only affects her and Storm King, leading to the Storm King's body to shatter when it hits the ground below, while Tempest is restored to flesh and blood by Twilight and the Mane Six. Afterwards, Tempest helps to repair all the damage she caused as she helps restore Celestia, Luna, and Cadance back to flesh and blood, which then results in the restoration of Canterlot to its shining glory once more.

With everything restored, the Friendship Festival resumes, and Songbird takes the stage for her performance. Everyone the Mane Six met on their adventure is in attendance for the performance, and even Queen Novo and a few of her people arrive to join in on the festivities. Twilight confronts Tempest, who believes she should just take her leave since her horn will never be restored, and convinces her to use her magic for something good. Tempest takes Twilight's advice and uses her magic to create a fireworks show for Songbird's performance, before ending the movie with revealing her real name, which Pinkie agrees to with her usual excitement.

All in all, I loved this movie, it was awesome, amazing, and great, and I give it a big 10/10 for my rating.

Also, apologies for spoilers if anyone did not catch the movie yet. Sorry for that.

Edited by Sonic5421
  • Brohoof 3

26 minutes ago, VeroxVitrus said:

I think when it comes to films Critics tend to look at how well made a film was made while the audience is just looking for a fun film. A film can win oscars or a grammy but in the end that's just an award for making the Critics love the film. But the thing is people will go to the critics to decide to see the film or not instead of the audience. Who would you pick to get an opinion on a comic? Some random guy walking down the streets or a comic book collector working in a comic store? Words can hurt ratings and in the dark cynical world we live in it can hurt the film by stopping people from watching it

However, none of these "critics" are comic store employees giving reviews on comics... which would be "people in the know". They are "film critics" not actually reviewing the film, but going off into tangents about why they don't like the idea of it. They are giving only bare bones thoughts on the film, telling you virtually nothing and then low scoring it. I mean one of the review has to point out it contains ponies and then low score it. Seriously? That is like reviewing a cooking show and making a big point in your word count that it centers around food. A couple reviews do point out things the reviewer just did not like, and they talk about it and give honest reasons why it did not work for them, but several of them look like the critic wrote it a week before, and then just went to the theater and sat on their phone on autopilot to kill 90 minutes, then went and posted it and called it a day... they barely touch the film at all and it looks like it was based around the preview. And with a film like this, it is pretty standard... so many don't expect a film based upon a cartoon based upon a toy, much less a toy for little girls to be anything a rational adult would want to sit through without attempting to sneak out when the kids arn't looking to try to get into see Blade Runner.

That being said, less and less people care at all what any critics say... they see the preview and decide for themselves for the most part. If you need a critic to tell you if something is good or not, then you probably need someone to also taste your food as well to make sure you will like it.

• Brohoof 3