Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - Reviews/Reactions/Discussion Thread

Jeric

10 hours ago, Sly said:

Uhm..... does anyone have the feeling this Movie is gonna be one of those rare cases of really good movies that will bomb HARDLY at the box office? My friend Chevistian (who some will know as well) who really loved the Movie as well, told me that there were about 10 people in the theater he went watching it, and the room was very big....

10 hours ago, Sly said:

The worst thing is, the theaters that are showing the Movie are WAY few. 2500 is a really low number... it might go up, but not by that much. Even if some theaters could be "packed" there are still too few ones...

10 hours ago, Sly said:

Son't expect the success of a Disney or a Marvel Movie thought.

You realize I've been saying this since this area of the MLPF opened? Nothing you are saying is new or even important for Hasbro. It's not going to make a killing in Box Office, it's not going to be #1, and I predicted a screen count of no more than 2500. I've also been saying something else ... 

Who cares? All I want is an enjoyable film, and I would love if it helps Hasbro sell merch so the show continues. The show itself has horrible ratings, and they  (Hasn't and DHX) don't care. Still sells toys. If the film opens < 20 million but their highly targeted push at parents helps sell toys ... awesome. More Pony for me. 

That is the problem with negativity that lacks perspective, it ignores logic. 

6 hours ago, Twilight Kyle said:

I really don't understand why they felt they needed to make it a musical instead of a "normal" movie. 

I'm also going to double down. You realize that the answer to this is because, by and large, fans love the songs, right? 

Not only that, but so do kids. And holy shit, guess what? The film was make for them too! Basically, this wasn't made for your tastes. Sorry about that. 

• Brohoof 4

34 minutes ago, Jeric said:

You realize I've been saying this since this area of the MLPF opened? Nothing you are saying is new or even important for Hasbro. It's not going to make a killing in Box Office, it's not going to be #1, and I predicted a screen count of no more than 2500. I've also been saying something else ... 

Who cares? All I want is an enjoyable film, and I would love if it helps Hasbro sell merch so the show continues. The show itself has horrible ratings, and they  (Hasn't and DHX) don't care. Still sells toys. If the film opens < 20 million but their highly targeted push at parents helps sell toys ... awesome. More Pony for me. 

That is the problem with negativity that lacks perspective, it ignores logic. 

I'm also going to double down. You realize that the answer to this is because, by and large, fans love the songs, right? 

Not only that, but so do kids. And holy shit, guess what? The film was make for them too! Basically, this wasn't made for your tastes. Sorry about that. 

Off topic but I totally blame the network for MLPs poor ratings, it's definitely a more popular show than other animated shows right now but does worse.

And yeah no one is expecting Marvel level success, the highest prediction I have seen is from a friend who is expecting 300 million or more which is definitely not happening, my absolute highest expectation is 200 million and my more moderate is 100 million, I think it is going to do much better than say Kubo which made just about 70M

I also do think that the movie will provide a decent boost to the fandom if it stays the course of good reviews and beats my expectations by even a little bit.

On 30-9-2017 at 11:47 PM, Shimmering Sparkler said:

Thank you for that! But yes, please support this film! It's a lot of fun and you guys are gonna love it, trust me.

Can you tell me how Discord is in it? :twi:

1 hour ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Off topic but I totally blame the network for MLPs poor ratings, it's definitely a more popular show than other animated shows right now but does worse.

And yeah no one is expecting Marvel level success, the highest prediction I have seen is from a friend who is expecting 300 million or more which is definitely not happening, my absolute highest expectation is 200 million and my more moderate is 100 million, I think it is going to do much better than say Kubo which made just about 70M

I also do think that the movie will provide a decent boost to the fandom if it stays the course of good reviews and beats my expectations by even a little bit.

Not to do the bird of bad luck but... even Kubo was screened in less theaters than othe movies: only about 3300, which is still a good amount and 800 more theaters than the MLP Movie. I didn't know that Kubo did that bad in tye box office before you pointed out, so... I'm starting to feel that the situation is worse than expected...

7 minutes ago, Sly said:

Not to do the bird of bad luck but... even Kubo was screened in less theaters than othe movies: only about 3300, which is still a good amount and 800 more theaters than the MLP Movie. I didn't know that Kubo did that bad in tye box office before you pointed out, so... I'm starting to feel that the situation is worse than expected...

Jeez, MLP is a much bigger brand and has been heavily marketed lately, Kubo  was niche and had pretty terrible marketing.

16 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Can you tell me how Discord is in it? :twi:

Spoiler

Balloon animal made by Pinkie that goes crazy. And appears in an end credits gag. 

11 minutes ago, Sly said:

If you had a spit animal I suspect it would be Eyeore. 

The fact that you are actually comparing Kubo to MLP is a significant sign that you still don't grasp the nuances of comparative analysis, something that has failed you previously. I admit that while that isn't up there with the absurdity of those that projected insane amounts of box office, it's in the ballpark. 

Take a step back and list what MLP has that Kubo doesn't. Look at each film's differences. Look at the expected demographic of each. 

I'm not drawing you a roadmap this time. You wouldn't listen anyway.

16 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Jeez, MLP is a much bigger brand and has been heavily marketed lately, Kubo  was niche and had pretty terrible marketing.

And I wouldn't take my six year old niece to go see Kubo. Also relevant. 

• Brohoof 1

Uhm.... you don't mind if I watch the leak right? I'm italian so I would have had no chance to contribute to the Box office regardless (And... the italian dub sucks... besides it would come on December 6th here so...) I'd have watched it pirated regardless... don't ask me to order a fly to America just to see the MLP Movie and contribute to the box office please. XD

51 minutes ago, Jeric said:
  Hide contents

Balloon animal made by Pinkie that goes crazy. And appears in an end credits gag. 

Well, at least they thought of him a little. 

I hoped that he would say something like this at the end of the end credits: "They totally forgot about me. At least I can close it!" and then he shows the Hasbro logo at the end. 

• Brohoof 2

59 minutes ago, Sly said:

Uhm.... you don't mind if I watch the leak right? I'm italian so I would have had no chance to contribute to the Box office regardless (And... the italian dub sucks... besides it would come on December 6th here so...) I'd have watched it pirated regardless... don't ask me to order a fly to America just to see the MLP Movie and contribute to the box office please. XD

If you have no other way to watch the English version, then I'd say it's fine to watch the leaked one. I already watched it myself since I likely won't be able to see the movie because of money issues, but I'll go if I get the chance and will definitely buy the DVD later on either way.

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, Twilight Kyle said:

Yeah, so? I don't like the songs, I was expecting a normal movie, not a musical. I really don't understand why they felt they needed to make it a musical instead of a "normal" movie.

I see you have not been to an animated American film in forever, since they virtually all have singing or songs in them these days. So I would say that is pretty normal for what it is.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Sly said:

You can still support the film by buying a ticket to a random theater online. That excuse doesn't fly for me. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Why are you asking permission? No matter what anyone says you will obviously do whatever you like. Can I watch the leak to because I feel like being lazy and want to eat a bowl of cereal instead of Milk Duds? I get that the dubs suck, but watch it anyway... show your support... later on you can catch the English version and then talk about how much better it is. It is called patience... give it a shot. Or follow Jeric's advice and get an online ticket... there is always a way. Every excuse you throw to sneak it really just comes down to you not wanting to put in the time and effort to do it the right way and pirating is just easier for you. You don't have to spend a fortune or give up your life to support a franchise you claim to love, you just have to do the right thing by it to show you support it. If that is not for you and making excuses is, then whatever I suppose.

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

He reviews almost everything these days it seems, so I expect him to check it out. He tends to be fairly even and fair with most of his reviews. 

And with that, we have our first outlier. 

Also, musicals are normal movies. It's a genre ... or subgenre. It's a pretty freaking old one too. ;)

Yes, I know, I thought I made that clear by putting "normal" in quotation marks. 

3 minutes ago, Twilight Kyle said:

Yes, I know, I thought I made that clear by putting "normal" in quotation marks. 

Then it's superfluous by design and  implication, and doesn't eliminate the fact that ... It's still a really unusual opinion for a fan of this show and children's animation in general to have. But hey, you do you boo.

41 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Then it's superfluous by design and  implication, and doesn't eliminate the fact that ... It's still a really unusual opinion for a fan of this show and children's animation in general to have. But hey, you do you boo.

What's so unusual about it? I just don't like the songs. 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

You can still support the film by buying a ticket to a random theater online. That excuse doesn't fly for me. 

....... you know what? You're right. I could order a ticket for a cinema in my country and NOT Going, I'd still give support anyway.... does that count as support right?

35 minutes ago, Sly said:

....... you know what? You're right. I could order a ticket for a cinema in my country and NOT Going, I'd still give support anyway.... does that count as support right?

Yeah, if you order a ticket online it still contributes to box office sales and you bought a ticket, sure, I guess it's money going to nothing but at least you are supporting the franchise we all love.

Well, the movie was spectacular 

Visually appealing, if a little unnerving after having watched over 100 episodes of Flash animation to suddenly see so much more depth and details in the characters and world

In the first sixty minutes we get more world-building than seven seasons of the show combined and get introduced to several amazing races living outside of Equestria's tamed lands and it's such a refreshing change of pace

The Mane 6 all have their moments, while the Princesses YET AGAIN are rendered impotent in a matter of seconds which is all kinds of frustrating, but little kids don't care about them, even if Luna is hecking adorable in the show's style

The new characters are great and usually steal every scene they're in

And no, Starlight and Trixie don't do anything nor is Equestria Girls ever referenced, so don't get your hopes up

All in all, a solid movie that people will bicker over for asinine reasons and make more grimderp fanfiction and artwork for, keeping the Brony community alive for a few more months until the Hiatus

• Brohoof 3

18 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Well, the movie was spectacular 

Visually appealing, if a little unnerving after having watched over 100 episodes of Flash animation to suddenly see so much more depth and details in the characters and world

In the first sixty minutes we get more world-building than seven seasons of the show combined and get introduced to several amazing races living outside of Equestria's tamed lands and it's such a refreshing change of pace

The Mane 6 all have their moments, while the Princesses YET AGAIN are rendered impotent in a matter of seconds which is all kinds of frustrating, but little kids don't care about them, even if Luna is hecking adorable in the show's style

The new characters are great and usually steal every scene they're in

And no, Starlight and Trixie don't do anything nor is Equestria Girls ever referenced, so don't get your hopes up

All in all, a solid movie that people will bicker over for asinine reasons and make more grimderp fanfiction and artwork for, keeping the Brony community alive for a few more months until the Hiatus

Glad you liked it, can't wait. 

In other review news I have found two more reviews, one from a pretty unknown youtuber and one from a blogspot website where the reviewer could use some punctuation lessons.

http://moviereivewsareawesome.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/my-little-pony-movie-2017-review.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6jK8nTpiOU&t=112s

We have an 8/10 and a C+ score, which should be like a 77%-79%

So, one positive and one decent. Yet to see a single negative review and that is great.

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Glad you liked it, can't wait. 

In other review news I have found two more reviews, one from a pretty unknown youtuber and one from a blogspot website where the reviewer could use some punctuation lessons.

http://moviereivewsareawesome.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/my-little-pony-movie-2017-review.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6jK8nTpiOU&t=112s

We have an 8/10 and a C+ score, which should be like a 77%-79%

So, one positive and one decent. Yet to see a single negative review and that is great.

Quote from the C+ guy in the comments: "I don't think it was bad enough to warrant a lower grade. It has just too harmless and innocent to give a lower grade."

3 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

Quote from the C+ guy in the comments: "I don't think it was bad enough to warrant a lower grade. It has just too harmless and innocent to give a lower grade."

Given that he mostly said positives and his only negatives were "it's predictable and I didn't like it much" means that his ending statement of "it's not bad, it's not good" is a little off, sounds more like it's bare minimum good based off what he said.

8 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Given that he mostly said positives and his only negatives were "it's predictable and I didn't like it much" means that his ending statement of "it's not bad, it's not good" is a little off, sounds more like it's bare minimum good based off what he said.

In the end it won't appeal to everyone, but at least it's not so offensive that it turned him off. A good sign in and off itself; even if he wasn't completely sold on it.

• Brohoof 2