Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - Reviews/Reactions/Discussion Thread

Jeric

1 hour ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

And why would someone write for two sites like that and post the exact same review? Agenda?

Gatehouse Media and Cox may not be subsidiaries, but they share some content in specific local markets. Those sites are run by larger media companies whose niche is to report local news. It's not an agenda, it's part of their mutual strategies. GH is also looking to buy Cox's media outlet. 

Also, the review text doesn't match the score. 

On a Scale of "A-F" I give it a B+.

The animation was top notch. It resembled the show animation while defining it and making it look classier. However it didn't deviate to much from the original art style. I really liked that.

The Songs were okay for the most part. Sia song was amazing and there were a few other good songs but for the most part the songs were of the same quality of the TV Show. Nothing too special here.

The Story was good. I compare the story to Season 1 premiere story. Or really any two part storyline in the series. If you enjoy those types of episodes then you will really enjoy the movie. The Villains were okay, nothing special. They weren't the best villains in MLP but far from the worst. 

The Cinematic feel is what makes it really amazing though. The Quality of the art and the lighting/sound are all done really well. 

With that being said Fluttershy and AppleJack are sort of sidelined in comparison to the other Mane Six. In the end it really isn't that big of deal and won't affect your enjoyment of the movie. Also there is a part of the storyline that gets hyped up just to really go nowhere. When you watch the movie you will see what I mean. As far as Enjoyment it gets an A+ but Quality wise I stick with my B+ rating. 

• Brohoof 2

Probably one of the worst films I've seen all year. Arguably as bad as Emoji. Glad I saw it online instead of wasting money for a ticket.

Just Kidding. It was actually pretty good. 7 or 8 out of 10 still not sure. I am paying for a ticket though.

Edited by dragonargon

1 hour ago, dragonargon said:

Probably one of the worst films I've seen all year. Arguably as bad as Emoji. Glad I saw it online instead of wasting money for a ticket.

Just Kidding. It was actually pretty good. 7 or 8 out of 10 still not sure. I am paying for a ticket though.

GAH! Buddy, take it easy with those jokes! I almost got an infarct when I read "bad as Emoji"!

• Brohoof 3

10 hours ago, Naw207 said:

The Villains were okay, nothing special. They weren't the best villains in MLP but far from the worst.

Antagonist-wise, Tempest was the scene-stealer.

The Storm King, while entertaining (props to Mr. Schreiber, BTW), still ended up disappointing me by abruptly going from "savvy pragmatist" (like he was in the prequel comics) to "yet another villain defeated by their own overconfidence, poor decisions, etc." (e.g.: NMM, Discord, Chrysalis, etc.).

10 hours ago, Naw207 said:

As far as Enjoyment it gets an A+ but Quality wise I stick with my B+ rating.

It's uncanny just how similar our conclusions are.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.

1 hour ago, Chrylestia600 said:

Hmm, still not seeing the professional critic reviews. There still isn’t a Rotten Tomatoes score, either. :confused:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/my_little_pony_the_movie_2017/

Check again. There's at least one as of now. It's from St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and they gave it a 2.5/4 (it's registered as fresh). So it's got at least one fresh rating.

Does that mean it's a 100% fresh right now? :derp:

1 hour ago, Chrylestia600 said:

Hmm, still not seeing the professional critic reviews. There still isn’t a Rotten Tomatoes score, either. :confused:

I'm seeing a review listed for the Washington Post, but it was taken down for being "inadvertently published", probably because it's too early. The title calls it "a gentle, animated adventure with positive messages".

7 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

I'm seeing a review listed for the Washington Post, but it was taken down for being "inadvertently published", probably because it's too early. The title calls it "a gentle, animated adventure with positive messages".

That is actually shared by the Post but it was from Common Sense Media. Of couse it is important to note they gave The Emoji Movie a 3/5.

Edited by Applejack1989

11 minutes ago, Applejack1989 said:

That is actually shared by the Post but it was from Common Sense Media. Of couse it is important to note they gave The Emoji Movie a 3/5.

I think they focus more on how okay it is for kids rather than quality of the film.

5 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

I think they focus more on how okay it is for kids rather than quality of the film.

It is a mix. A movie that is good for kids won't get hammered, but the star rating does also take into account quality to an extent.

35 minutes ago, Tiny Hoofs said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/my_little_pony_the_movie_2017/

Check again. There's at least one as of now. It's from St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and they gave it a 2.5/4 (it's registered as fresh). So it's got at least one fresh rating.

Does that mean it's a 100% fresh right now? :derp:

I looked, and there is still no reviews on rotten tomato.

1 hour ago, caseyastevens said:

I looked, and there is still no reviews on rotten tomato.

mlpreview.thumb.png.3147ebd00c7b544a5a13e989715b952d.png

Really? Weird, as it shows up for me. Maybe it's a regional thing. Have you pressed F5?

Anyway, I'm glad it's getting mostly decent reviews outside of a few outliers.

8 minutes ago, Tiny Hoofs said:

mlpreview.thumb.png.3147ebd00c7b544a5a13e989715b952d.png

Really? Weird, as it shows up for me. Maybe it's a regional thing. Have you pressed F5?

Anyway, I'm glad it's getting mostly decent reviews outside of a few outliers.

Now  I see it.  Though its weird that the tomato meter isn't up.

I found this review while searching the Internet.  Seems this reviewer gives it a positive comparison to classic Disney films.  Here's a paragraph from the review, and I quote

It's funny that the previously mainstream 2D movie that was released was Disney’s 'Winnie the Pooh' in 2011 but every element of this film’s story embodies every single trope of a Disney movie most specifically from the 90s. This may say 'My Little Pony: The Movie' by its cover, but under its skin, it's a Disney movie at heart. You have a princess going out of her home and going on an epic journey to find someone to help save it. Give me 5 Disney movies that this sounds like? The only good part of it that stands out is that there is no prince. Besides that, the movie is also a musical. Though the story is a 90s Disney movie, this has the musical cues of a Disney movie of the 21st century. The music itself has that over the top numbers that are inspired by Disney films.

Source http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//my-little-pony-the-movie-review

Disney, eh?  Sounds like I might enjoy this film.

http://movieweb.com/blade-runner-2049-vs-it-box-office-predictions/

Not sure if this belongs here, but this is another box office prediction. Apparently, MLP will start with 13,5 million dollars on 3rd place. That's actually lower then i even expected. :/