Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - Reviews/Reactions/Discussion Thread

Jeric

Oh, good to know we don't have to bother with spoiler tags lol.

Anyway, I thought of something: Is Storm King the first one to be officially straight-up killed in the show? Yeah he got turned to stone but he broke into dozens of pieces, he seems totally and completely D-E-A-D! 

Also, anyone know why Starlight Glimmer wasn't in this? And do you think there's any chance of a sequel? I liked this, but much like EGQ I feel if there were a sequel it would be something epic!

18 minutes ago, Azureth said:

Also, anyone know why Starlight Glimmer wasn't in this? 

Actually, Starlight made a non-speaking cameo in Canterlot

330.png.b5c7f92560371026bd21e6d735efecac.png

As to why? For one, they wanted to the film focused on the Mane 6 and the Celebrity VAs 

Edited by WiiGuy2014
Explain why
  • Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Azureth said:

Anyway, I thought of something: Is Storm King the first one to be officially straight-up killed in the show? Yeah he got turned to stone but he broke into dozens of pieces, he seems totally and completely D-E-A-D! 

Remember Sombra? The Crystal Heart made him go boom. So, no, not the first villain death.

• Brohoof 6

Ok, people are gonna kill me for this, but I don't care.

After watching it three times at cold mind, a 9/10 from me is not taken away by anybody.

• Brohoof 4

I thought it was great. There were a few too many new characters but what are you gonna do? Some people won't watch a movie without a few celebrities. You can find out more about the characters in supplemental material. But I was grinning through the whole movie. Epic adventure story. Star Trek and Star Wars may have gone to hell but my ponies are still awesome!

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, BasementSparkle said:

Remember Sombra? The Crystal Heart made him go boom. So, no, not the first villain death.

The comics later retconned Sombra's death away, and...

...the film's credits implied The Storm King's survival (he was, however, busy trying to put himself back together ( :lol: )).

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.
  • Brohoof 4

Just now, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

Hide contents

The comics later retconned Sombra's death away, and the film's credits implied The Storm King's survival (he was, however, busy trying to put himself back together (

:lol: )).

I know about his resurrection in the comics, but as far as people who only watch the show know, Sombra exploded and hasn't appeared again since, except for a brief appearance in an Alternate timeline, so he might as well have died. As for the Storm King's survival, depends on how "Canon" you want to view the credits as. Funny little moment either way.

:squee:

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Jade The Pegasister said:

I got emotional at the very very beginning when the logo had the twilight sparkle spark going because I knew what I was about to witness just then would be extraordinary and different beyond anything I've experienced in the fandom 

Had this exact same reaction. The way the logo appears felt so grand that I instantly knew I was in for something special. That feeling stuck with me because of the animation which felt so different yet it is great.

14 minutes ago, Sly said:

Ok, people are gonna kill me for this, but I don't care.

After watching it three times at cold mind, a 9/10 from me is not taken away by anybody.

I easily give it a solid 7/10 or perhaps an 8/10. I don't know what some critics were looking for, but as a fan who was quite worried about the movie, I enjoyed it more than I expected. It isn't a perfect film, but then again, in retrospect I thought Inside Out was generic as hell and critics praised that movie to the moon and back.

• Brohoof 5

5 hours ago, Azureth said:

Oh, good to know we don't have to bother with spoiler tags lol.

Also, anyone know why Starlight Glimmer wasn't in this? And do you think there's any chance of a sequel? I liked this, but much like EGQ I feel if there were a sequel it would be something epic!

I consider him dead yes, though some may argue that he isn't because if the end credits shot of his eyes moving. 

Starlight Glimmer was actually not fully developed during the writing phase of the film, so including her narratively would have been hard. Her and several post Season 5 characters make visual cameos.

• Brohoof 2

I also found that midmovie conflict rather random, Twilight would never say that like one of the users here on the forum said, Iv'e watched all the episodes of my little pony friendship is magic and this is completely out of character, and I was sitting there in the theater thinking "wtf is this?!?!"  I also thought the scene where we see them on the beach was rather unusual the main six said some remarks that were out of character as well dissing twilight, I will say this though watching twilight sparkle cry and then say "I can't save Equestria!" really broke my heart and made me cry for that second because I've never seen twilight breakdown like that it made me feel a bit hopeless and feel for her (although the moment was short lived) even spike shows his loyalty and son-like relationship with twilight and decided to stay and comfort her, loved this scene 

• Brohoof 3

I just watched the movie and all I can say about it now is that:

- I enjoyed it, it's not a top animated movie but I didn't get bored at any time.

- Even if they didn't explicitly mentioned the elements of harmony, each of the mane 6 had her element moment! I found those moments to be great as they were subtle yet clear to show followers.

• Brohoof 4

https://www.destructoid.com/review-my-little-pony-the-movie-465459.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Another IGN level bad review.

Dropped to a 64%

Honestly I don't know why I expected professionalism in these professional reviews

"Worse than the emoji movie" REALLY!?

I feel like a good number of the super negative reviews are result of people clickbaiting.

• Brohoof 6

15 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Wow. What a stupid review.

I'm not going to say the movie was perfect because it wasn't but to say it was a "mind-numbing attempt a movie" is taking it a bit far. It certainly isn't as bad as this guy is implying.

Edited by RulesofRarity
  • Brohoof 5

The movie was good overall. I wished that maybe it was a little bit longer like a additional 20~30 mins because I think the ending would of benefit from more time. The exposition was good, the middle was good(albeit a bit longer) but the ending felt short and the resolution left me wanting a bit more satisfying ending but I understand the limited time frame. 

The animation was good but a majority of the movie was taken place in either in a dark environment(low light) or a dull setting so some of the colors and background scenes with the mane 6 didn't match well. This is particularly different seeing it this way in a visual perspective of MLP:FiM. When there is good lighting though, the characters are well define and the colors shines no doubt. The special effects was okay, even if it was rendered in a visually different way from the characters but it still flows right enough without feeling too CGI and overpowered from the 2-D. The sonic rainboom looked great in this regard.

One scene though, the moment when Twilight and the others entered the Hippogriff's undersea home, they actually were about to die. Seeing it through Twilight's point of view, the screen fades to black as Twilight looks at her friends one last time when she hold on her last breath underwater. This scene was intense but of course, our heroes can't succumb by the death of water and was eventually saved. This scene really brings out the element of going to new unfamiliar places and the new dangers they pose for the characters and it was done pretty good. 

Most of the new characters were welcomed besides the Hippogriffs. Maybe if Twilight didn't drove themselves out of the Hippogriffs help with that sneaky little move of hers then maybe this movie may had a different take with the Hippogriffs helping out besides Princess Skystar. If the Hippogriffs as a whole and the Pearl played a larger role, the Storm King may of used the Pearl too for his ambitions but then again the Hippogriffs and the Pearl wasn't fully utilized. Queen Novo running out just to get her daughter at the end and not even caring about the state of Equestria is quite frankly the worst characterization I've seen and at the end credits she was even seen to be hugging and cuddling with Celestia for some apparent reason even though she didn't seemed to care about Equestria. This is just wrong. 

The Storm King while being evil, is quite powerless without his servant's help and eventually that causes backlash and the ultimate demise of him. Tempest has to deal with all that to not finally see the wish she was hoping for by becoming the Storm King's servant and getting back her horn, she has the okay in my books to get rid of him. Her reformation is good, quick and still means a lot in the end in all that she lived and went through. Her back story and motive was alright and we get to see the Ursa Major again from the show so that took me by surprise. Should Tempest be whole again with a new horn from saving Equestria? Or do unicorns never have the magical means of reconstructing their horns again once broken?

Capper on the other hand was really a great addition. His sly, mischievous personality added a sort of flair and the Parrot pirates added fun to the feeling of the movie. These new characters are rather quick to introduce but reading the Prequel beforehand  helped out with their characterization a lot in the movie.

Aside from that, the Mane 6 is largely still the same mostly. With Pinkie Pie feeling like the representative of the other 5 at most times, I felt like she resonated and interacted with Twilight well enough while the others felt short of their roles just a little bit. Fluttershy was extremely quiet even for her until the end with her comforting one of the Storm King's goons but besides that she was just so quiet. Applejack did have a lot of dialouge which I find as a good thing and Rainbow was similar but with them exchanging dialouge with Twilight wasn't much. Rarity was more of the individual type and she was rather expressive of the other characters like Capper and the Pirates but also has her moments with interacting with the 5. Twilight, of course was the main driving force. Her depiction was similar in character in the beginning with her being nervous but her constant pursuit to find a way to alleviate her problem got to the best of her when she attempted to steal Queen Novo's Pearl. That's when she felt different by her motive and the resulting cause of the group splitting up temporary by it. Otherwise that, she learned to forgive and her friends also learn that too in order to stop the Storm King. 

Well..That almost covers up about my current thoughs about the movie and if I have more in mind, I'll see fit to write more. The movie is great for what it is and how I'm constructing this is based on what I see in the movie. It's not perfect and I shouldn't expect it to be but it's all that I have now until then.

• Brohoof 3

59 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

https://www.destructoid.com/review-my-little-pony-the-movie-465459.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Another IGN level bad review.

Dropped to a 64%

Honestly I don't know why I expected professionalism in these professional reviews

"Worse than the emoji movie" REALLY!?

I feel like a good number of the super negative reviews are result of people clickbaiting.

dont put too much faith in ign, they're pretty much Activision's cod propagandist these days.

in fact, don't trust reviews period. Don't let other people think for you.

Just now, Sylveon said:

dont put too much faith in ign, they're pretty much Activision's cod propagandist these days.

in fact, don't trust reviews period. Don't let other people think for you.

Oh, I know this will be my new favorite movie, I am worried about general audiences reading them

3 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Oh, I know this will be my new favorite movie, I am worried about general audiences reading them

Anyone with a functioning brain knows not to trust any kind of major review.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Sylveon said:

Anyone with a functioning brain knows not to trust any kind of major review.

Eh, you would be very surprised then with how many people do look at websites like that.

16 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

I am worried about general audiences reading them

In all honesty, If you're going to look up some random opinion on the internet, look at it and say "Well, this person I never have or ever will meet and likely might not exist didn't like this thing I have yet to experience, so I won't bother at all myself then." then... you probably don't deserve to enjoy yourself... if you live only by dint of the orders of another.

1 hour ago, Jade The Pegasister said:

I've never seen twilight breakdown like that

Actually, To BE Fair... Isn't Tryhard Sparkles kinda the one out of the Main Six that's so far gotten the most mental breakdowns? Can we get a chart up in here of how many mental conniptions our mares have had? Because that's kinda a thing the show loves to do! 

I for one was with Twilight on that. The world was at stake here... might need a bit more than just throwing happy-go-lucky Friendship tactics at the problem and hope it goes away.

...I'll have to delve into that more in my review, I suppose...

• Brohoof 3