Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) - Reviews/Reactions/Discussion Thread

Jeric

17 hours ago, Twilight Kyle said:

Yeah, so? I don't like the songs, I was expecting a normal movie, not a musical. I really don't understand why they felt they needed to make it a musical instead of a "normal" movie. 

Have you never watched the show? Music has always been a huge part of the show.

• Brohoof 6

Just finished watching the movie, and here's my say about the MLP movie...

Spoiler

It was nice seeing all (or not all of them since it was too quick and stuff) the characters from the show like Vinyl, Octavia, Applebloom, Derpy, Bulk Biceps, Starlight Glimmer, Sassy Saddles, Tree Hugger, Big Mac, and many more. I also dig the movie designs of the Princesses too, and I also dig the animation for this. And as for other places, I like that they added a town that looks more like a Trading/Black Market place. We also get to see other races as well like Hippogriffs, and also Parrots. The best scene for me would be Twilight snapping at her friends for failing to get the orb thing from Queen Novo. Well, we saw Twilight cry in past episodes, but in the movie, wow, that emotion, the facial expressions, that animation for me is awesome. What made me laugh so hard is one scene in the Mane 6, Capper, and the Pirates battle the Storm Guard, well, the scene were Fluttershy faces a Storm Guard, then the next scene we see FS having a conversation with a Storm Guard who is crying. I was like WTF?! XD

For me, the highlight for this movie would go to Tempest Shadow, I just love her character, a badass, and those facial expressions of hers. Wow, that made me a fan of her. Also, I dig her song too. For a badass pony, she sure has a cute name, and I don't mean Tempest Shadow, her other name which is Fizzlepop Berrytwist. XD

And that's that for my review for the MLP movie. :D

• Brohoof 2

24 minutes ago, VenoM_LP-4 said:

Just finished watching the movie, and here's my say about the MLP movie...

Hide contents

It was nice seeing all (or not all of them since it was too quick and stuff) the characters from the show like Vinyl, Octavia, Applebloom, Derpy, Bulk Biceps, Starlight Glimmer, Sassy Saddles, Tree Hugger, Big Mac, and many more. I also dig the movie designs of the Princesses too, and I also dig the animation for this. And as for other places, I like that they added a town that looks more like a Trading/Black Market place. We also get to see other races as well like Hippogriffs, and also Parrots. The best scene for me would be Twilight snapping at her friends for failing to get the orb thing from Queen Novo. Well, we saw Twilight cry in past episodes, but in the movie, wow, that emotion, the facial expressions, that animation for me is awesome. What made me laugh so hard is one scene in the Mane 6, Capper, and the Pirates battle the Storm Guard, well, the scene were Fluttershy faces a Storm Guard, then the next scene we see FS having a conversation with a Storm Guard who is crying. I was like WTF?! XD

For me, the highlight for this movie would go to Tempest Shadow, I just love her character, a badass, and those facial expressions of hers. Wow, that made me a fan of her. Also, I dig her song too. For a badass pony, she sure has a cute name, and I don't mean Tempest Shadow, her other name which is Fizzlepop Berrytwist. XD

And that's that for my review for the MLP movie. :D

Glad you liked the movie.  How did you like the Storm KIng? I Heard he was a fun entertaining bad guy.

5 minutes ago, caseyastevens said:

Glad you liked the movie.  How did you like the Storm KIng? I Heard he was a fun entertaining bad guy.

Concerning the Storm King

He's like Tirek (lust for power), Sombra (unique magic) and Discord (fun personality hiding a cruel streak) combined and was a lot of fun. Kinda sad we didn't get more of him, but what we got was good and didn't overstay its welcome.

• Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Concerning the Storm King

Hide contents

He's like Tirek (lust for power), Sombra (unique magic) and Discord (fun personality hiding a cruel streak) combined and was a lot of fun. Kinda sad we didn't get more of him, but what we got was good and didn't overstay its welcome.

Already know about his screen time, so It doesn't bother me.  I was just wondering what VenoM thoughts were.

There's one thing I have to say about the film's opening:

I'm under the impression that it was constructed to immediately lower expectations of anyone who hasn't seen the show for themselves. After the title, we literally open with the ponified pop song from the second trailer, and some of the first dialogue is two sentences crammed full of shameless horse puns, it's actually almost face-palmy and almost brilliant.

Watched it, here's my impressions:

Spoiler

Loved it from the beginning to the end, the story might not be something never seen before but it still was a pleasure to watch. The pacing was well done and all the characters were well characterized. I'm with Venom on this thought, Tempest Shadow is the character that stole the show for me as well.... man her backstory was pretty brutal (I think the Movie rendered it better than how it appears in the books)... and also she got the best song. 

The only criticism I have for this Movie: Applejack didn't got any outstanding moments compared to the other Mane 6 (technically even Fluttershy but around the end she had a moment that made me laugh so hard. XD) a bit disappointed in that, but I guess you can't have everything. Also Storm King was a really funny villain, Doctor described him very well, but I agree that i would have loved some more moments with him.

Aside these critics I can say that the Movie met all my expectations. Loved from the beginning to the end.

And that is all.

• Brohoof 2

This isn't a review, but... It's not something that bodes well: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/international-business/hasbro-inc-mkm-raises-doubts-over-my-little-pony/articleshow/60939792.cms

Bottom line is, the movie is expected by investors to lose $6 million before toy sales come in. I'm no financial person, but we really, really, REALLY should try going to theaters for this one.

1 minute ago, caseyastevens said:

How pathetic. Hopefully more positive reviews will outweigh those.

It's pretty sad, Hopefully ciritic scores are good enough to drown those idiots.

46 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

This isn't a review, but... It's not something that bodes well: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/international-business/hasbro-inc-mkm-raises-doubts-over-my-little-pony/articleshow/60939792.cms

Bottom line is, the movie is expected by investors to lose $6 million before toy sales come in. I'm no financial person, but we really, really, REALLY should try going to theaters for this one.

Lose 6 million? That doesn't make any sense.

don't need to be a financial reason to see that people don't analyze fandoms when looking into these things.

47 minutes ago, immblueversion said:

I hope you still plan on at least getting a ticket online to help with the box office.

6 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

It's pretty sad, Hopefully ciritic scores are good enough to drown those idiots.

don't need to be a financial reason to see that people don't analyze fandoms when looking into these things.

I hope you still plan on at least getting a ticket online to help with the box office.

Like I said, I'm already planning on seeing it in theaters. I'm even gonna take a friend.

• Brohoof 1

48 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

It would put it almost in line with NATO's Box Office Pro prediction of 22 million world wide it the total budget (including marketing) is just shy of 30 million. That means they are probably using the same formula with variance for social media trending figures. 

Remember that that publication didn't consider the the adult fandom (said it would be Mothers and daughters) and also said it expected great legs on Ninjago ... both are poor analyses. 

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Jeric said:

It would put it almost in line with NATO's Box Office Pro prediction of 22 million world wide it the total budget (including marketing) is just shy of 30 million. That means they are probably using the same formula with variance for social media trending figures. 

Remember that that publication didn't consider the the adult fandom (said it would be Mothers and daughters) and also said it expected great legs on Ninjago ... both are poor analyses. 

22 Million world wide, even if bronies didn't exist I have a hard time believing that.

Yeah, definitely not a great analysis, research into the brand can go a long way.

Edited by Ryanmahaffe

10 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

22 Million world wide, even if bronies didn't exist I have a hard time believing that.

Yeah, definitely not a great analysis, research into the brand can go a long way.

I believe in the National Association of Theater Owners case it was also a general bias against Lionsgate. They don't like that particular distributor. 

I was angry initially at the movie getting leaked, but the review embargo took so long and I was getting so nervous that I caved and watched the first half hour (I bought a ticket too, for what it's worth).

There's a reason why it was only the first half hour. As someone who has grown incredibly weary of all the ridiculous fanboy criticisms of the series, it really pains me to say that what I saw of the movie was awful. I wanted to withhold judgment, but the animation style honestly is really bad, definitely worse than the show's. It completely lacked any of the energy and charm that I have come to expect from the series, and the characters are all written as broad, boring shells of themselves. Really broke my heart that I didn't have the resolve to continue; I'm pretty sure I actually would have felt embarrassed watching it alone in a theater. I wouldn't blame critics for getting their knives out for this (Actually, I'm kind of hoping they do now).

I do want more 2D animation and more diverse female representation in my movies, but not if it's going to look like this. I don't know what Thiessen and McCarthy were going for here, but they should've had more confidence in both the aesthetic and characterization qualities of the series.

1 minute ago, n1029 said:

I was angry initially at the movie getting leaked, but the review embargo took so long and I was getting so nervous that I caved and watched the first half hour (I bought a ticket too, for what it's worth).

There's a reason why it was only the first half hour. As someone who has grown incredibly weary of all the ridiculous fanboy criticisms of the series, it really pains me to say that what I saw of the movie was awful. I wanted to withhold judgment, but the animation style honestly is really bad, definitely worse than the show's. It completely lacked any of the energy and charm that I have come to expect from the series, and the characters are all written as broad, boring shells of themselves. Really broke my heart that I didn't have the resolve to continue; I'm pretty sure I actually would have felt embarrassed watching it alone in a theater. I wouldn't blame critics for getting their knives out for this (Actually, I'm kind of hoping they do now).

I do want more 2D animation and more diverse female representation in my movies, but not if it's going to look like this. I don't know what Thiessen and McCarthy were going for here, but they should've had more confidence in both the aesthetic and characterization qualities of the series.

"animation was bad"
K
I don't really mind if you hate the movie, the writing, characters, song is all extremely subjective.

But calling the animation TERRIBLE...wow.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, n1029 said:

Yeah no.  Don't agree with you at all.

• Brohoof 1

It may perhaps be more "technologically advanced" than the show's, but it's not better; at least from what I saw. It's an ugly Frankenstein's monster of clashing art styles. And those blimps are just as crappy looking in the final cut as they were in the trailer.

Edited by n1029

15 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Pretty sure this one has been posted but it is the lowest score so far with a 2 1/2  out of 5

http://www.theintelligencer.com/entertainment/article/My-Little-Pony-The-Movie-Sugary-sweet-and-12252496.php

For the lowest review so far, this critic is pretty open to the idea of adults getting some enjoyment out of it.

Best part was when she called the Storm King "a cranky cross between Darth Vader and Lou Grant of 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show.'"

Edited by immblueversion