Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation MLP vs. Gravity Falls.

CastletonSnob

I wouldn't compare them, since they are both so different from what they are and how they tell stories.

I like them both very much and are certainly both nominees for cartoon of the decade. But i wouldn't pick one over the other.

• Brohoof 5

2 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

I wouldn't compare them, since they are both so different from what they are and how they tell stories.

I like them both very much and are certainly both nominees for cartoon of the decade. But i wouldn't pick one over the other.

Took the words right outta my mouth, friend. I would enjoy watching both shows over and over. :wub:

• Brohoof 2

Well, Gravity Falls was really god but I think the first season is really overrated, like people would say it is one of the best cartoons of all time when during the first season it really wasn't

Even the season 2 premiere was pretty lackluster compared to the usual MLP 2 parters and even Star VS Battle For Mewni event.

MLP has better animation, I will say that now, Gravity Falls looks really good but sometimes the things going on in the backround can be jarring to say the least.

When it comes to story, I also think MLP has the upper hand because Gravity Falls had this one great story arc with Bill and Stanley, but most of the one off episodes were usually just fun and nothing outrageously spectacular, I don't think any single Gravity Falls episode (as in one off) can compare too The Mane Attraction, The Perfect Pear, Amending Fences, etc.

I would say MLP is miles ahead of Gravity Falls but that is my own bias, I love both shows but there is a reason I don't go back and watch Gravity Falls as much as other cartoons, it is fantastic and truly becomes something special, but not until around midway through season 2.

The only show I would even compare to MLP would be Star VS The Forces of Evil because it is my 2nd favorite all time show. 

I think I would go with Gravity Falls. I like the characters and the humor more than MLP. There are good episodes in MLP, but for every "Perfect Pear" there are more episodes like "Applejack's Day Off." 

• 3 years later...

MLP is the obvious choice for me. Even though I have limited experience with Gravity Falls, some books can be judged by the cover and I have little interest in a show that cares so little about its content that they can’t even put an attractive animation style on it. It looks like it was designed and drawn by a three year old, and from what I’ve seen, was written on a similar level.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy both, but I think Gravity Falls takes the cake. The final was a bit of a cop-out IMO, which is a bit of a shame, but I think the rest of the show is easily strong enough to still give it an edge. MLP has had...varying quality through its seasons, but even at its strongest I don't think I'd consider it to be better than Gravity Falls.

Having said this, both shows have a very different premise, making a direct comparison a bit harder because I can't really objectively compare them on similar grounds. The reasons I like both shows don't really overlap much, except in the most general of cases.

• Brohoof 1