Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would dinosaur meat have tasted like?

heavens-champion

Well, they aren't alive now so why are we wondering this? Maybe if somebody ever invents a time machine that is capable of travelling to the past and at the least back to the present, you can go back 100 million years ago and find out. Just saying though, I have a feeling that dinosaur meat would taste terrible.

• Brohoof 1

I would say  because of the reason, that the birds are the next relatives, it can be possible that they would taste similar like poultry. Or maybe like crocodile. aj-hm.png

• Brohoof 1

Probably like alligator. I had alligator once. It was more expensive than chicken and not as good. A little slimy, but that might just have been the way it was cooked. It was battered and fried.

Edited by Brony Number 42
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would probably taste different than any other meat humans are used to consuming.

• Brohoof 1

*...wheels in, leaning smugly on an office chair*

Teeeeechnically!

That depends entirely on species! You shouldn't say that a Bronto or a Stego is ANYTHING like a raptor or rex!

As Jeric's video pointed out, predator species & herbavoric species live entirely different lives with different diets. Even somewhat related species taste worlds different! Take it from somebeing who's  nommed most everything with muscle fiber! You couldn't mistake turkey or duck for Chicken in a moment! The ONLY REASON we have the "Tastes Like Chicken" meme, is that chicken is extremely bland & flavorless and pretty much just tastes like base meat.

While I can't say I've had reptile, I HAVE eaten Frog! Which oddly enough, tastes more like Fish.

Turtle is almost never served as actual slabs of meat, from what I can tell, and is famous for being soup. Therefore, I can surmise that turtle has this rather bitter, if not sour, taste to it. Something that is almost always buried in mud or saltwater, will likely take some of that essence in. Does so with frogs, I say!

What I have always theorized, if you want good meat, eat the Meat-Eaters. A diet of meat, makes the meateater's meat a meatier meat! A lifetime of chasing down prey likely makes the meat tougher & stronger, that more steak-like texture, as opposed to an slower paced life of an herbivore. Its what they say, you can taste when the meat you've been served has led its entire life in a pen. Buy Free-Range!

...Oh! ALSO!!

TEEEEEEEEECHNICALLY SPEAKING!...

We have eaten the flesh of extinct species.

That whole bit about explorers finding a mammoth frozen solid, but no way to cart all of it back before it rots? So they kind of have to eat mammoth meat?

We HAVE seen fossils with impressions of tissue material on occasion. While cloning a full animal might be out of question, cloning a slab of dino muscle would be childs' play, I'm sure!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

There's so many different types of dinosaur, I don't think there would just be one taste.

Carnivorous dinosaurs would probably taste a bit like chicken, seeing as they're birds' evolutionary ancestors.

I'd imagine something like a sauropod would be more like pork.

• Brohoof 1

On 2019-04-20 at 2:27 PM, TwilySparky said:

Honestly, who knows. Maybe like chicken. :LunaMCM:

On 2019-04-20 at 2:26 PM, Lucky Bolt said:

Hmm....probably like chicken. :P

On 2019-05-12 at 7:20 AM, Nsxile said:

Probably like chicken.

C'mon, guys. Have the Flintstones taught us nothing? 

image.gif.4745a7ed490933bd436c0b74e74b217a.gif Dinosaurs probably tasted like beef or pork. :P

• Brohoof 2