Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pegapony with a more classy style

pegapony

Now back with two more songs or themes, this two is made earlier and I just ponyfied the video. So this is my more classy style and more of what I actually write in music. Dubtrott is more or less the Pinky inside me that needs to get out and have fun. And this is the more Fluttershyish deep side I think :)

Or should I say Octavia... yes Octavia it is.

Edited by pegapony
more to say
  • Brohoof 4

Ok

They are both ok listens. 

Luna's Theme

C minor, C# minor or Ab Major would be better keys suited for Luna. D minor has a brightness that doesn't fit to Luna's personality. The keys that I suggested can all fit Luna's personality due to the quality of each chord produced. Speaking of chords, you limited yourself to the i, iv and inverted V, sticking in some irregular chords here and there. Classical pieces tend to have developed progressions that can even take on the Sonata-Allegro form. If you need to know what this is, shoot me a PM and I can explain. In terms of your instrument quality, you need some pony touch. Your solo cello and solo violin are sounding digital, due to their attack. The choir could also use some touch-up as well. Vary up the vowel intonations as well. I see you used "ahh" and "eee". Using "ooh" would really add up to this piece. 

All in all, this piece could use some refining. Be sure to think about how your choice of key correlates to the personality of the pony you're making a theme for. 

Celedes Nordica Alicorn

Good key choice this time. However, the background sounds throw off the piece, especially the bird tweets and miscellaneous voices. Also, you don't need the timpani rolls in the beginning. Better use of chords on this piece. However, there was an awkward key shift to Bb from the IV of C. Be careful with these as these sudden key changes can change the mood of the piece quickly. The biggest thing about this piece however, was the moving strings. It would be best if this piece remained a slow vocalizing piece. Adding some brass, especially horns, would really make this piece shine. This is due to how the choir and brass sections are able to work together in terms of timbre and brightness. 

All in all, this piece could also use a little work, in terms of instrument use and sound effects use. 

Overall, these pieces are good starts, but they both need quite a bit of work. I'm always here if you need me. Shoot me a PM if you've got any questions about what I said in my critiques. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

Ok

They are both ok listens. 

Luna's Theme

C minor, C# minor or Ab Major would be better keys suited for Luna. D minor has a brightness that doesn't fit to Luna's personality. The keys that I suggested can all fit Luna's personality due to the quality of each chord produced. Speaking of chords, you limited yourself to the i, iv and inverted V, sticking in some irregular chords here and there. Classical pieces tend to have developed progressions that can even take on the Sonata-Allegro form. If you need to know what this is, shoot me a PM and I can explain. In terms of your instrument quality, you need some pony touch. Your solo cello and solo violin are sounding digital, due to their attack. The choir could also use some touch-up as well. Vary up the vowel intonations as well. I see you used "ahh" and "eee". Using "ooh" would really add up to this piece. 

All in all, this piece could use some refining. Be sure to think about how your choice of key correlates to the personality of the pony you're making a theme for. 

Celedes Nordica Alicorn

Good key choice this time. However, the background sounds throw off the piece, especially the bird tweets and miscellaneous voices. Also, you don't need the timpani rolls in the beginning. Better use of chords on this piece. However, there was an awkward key shift to Bb from the IV of C. Be careful with these as these sudden key changes can change the mood of the piece quickly. The biggest thing about this piece however, was the moving strings. It would be best if this piece remained a slow vocalizing piece. Adding some brass, especially horns, would really make this piece shine. This is due to how the choir and brass sections are able to work together in terms of timbre and brightness. 

All in all, this piece could also use a little work, in terms of instrument use and sound effects use. 

Overall, these pieces are good starts, but they both need quite a bit of work. I'm always here if you need me. Shoot me a PM if you've got any questions about what I said in my critiques. 

Thanks for the critique! You see I´m not educated in music at all, so most of the things are played straight from my head, and I don´t know what is ok and what is not in a musical point on view. If it sounds ok then I feel it is that feeling I want to hold. So my key changes are absolutely because of lack in skills, but sounded ok to my mood at that point.

I understand fully that they are incorrect for those educated in music.

Choirs are meant to sing in latin in Luna´s theme, it is very very hard to put the sentenses together to get a good result in the software. But it was great fun to do it. The Cello is a real instrument played by friend also the cembalo is a real instrument recorded live. So why it sounds digital ? The effects perhaps ?

It´s mostly just for fun and not meant to be masterpieces. I can´t do that.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, pegapony said:

Thanks for the critique! You see I´m not educated in music at all, so most of the things are played straight from my head, and I don´t know what is ok and what is not in a musical point on view. If it sounds ok then I feel it is that feeling I want to hold. So my key changes are absolutely because of lack in skills, but sounded ok to my mood at that point.

I understand fully that they are incorrect for those educated in music.

Choirs are meant to sing in latin in Luna´s theme, it is very very hard to put the sentenses together to get a good result in the software. But it was great fun to do it. The Cello is a real instrument played by friend also the cembalo is a real instrument recorded live. So why it sounds digital ? The effects perhaps ?

It´s mostly just for fun and not meant to be masterpieces. I can´t do that.

Running a recorded sample through effects can take away the human aspect of the sound if too much is applied. Also, your effects processors play a major role as well. It is better to work with analog effects because they provide a more natural tone to the sound itself. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

Running a recorded sample through effects can take away the human aspect of the sound if too much is applied. Also, your effects processors play a major role as well. It is better to work with analog effects because they provide a more natural tone to the sound itself. 

Definitely right ! I prefer to make the analog recordings with a real analog mixing desk and "real" effect racks. In this case he recorded with a simple microphone and recorded completely dry to a computer. Time and mostly budget is a limiting factor sadly.

12 minutes ago, pegapony said:

Definitely right ! I prefer to make the analog recordings with a real analog mixing desk and "real" effect racks. In this case he recorded with a simple microphone and recorded completely dry to a computer. Time and mostly budget is a limiting factor sadly.

Ok, I can help with effects if you want. 

2 hours ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

Ok, I can help with effects if you want. 

Oh thanks a lot ! This recording is from 2013 and back then I didn´t have access to the effects I have today. So hopfully I have them now.

Anyhow I am so happy you asked ! This is true frendship, you come with good advices to a novice and then even wants to help with improving, thanks a lot Bro !

So happy to have found this frendly place on earth. And now... local time says time for sleep.

I checked the resent uploads, and they are not correctly rendered with dropouts at random places, must have happened in the video editing. Fix that soon...