Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E22 - Once Upon A Zeppelin

Ashen Pathfinder

What did you think of the episode?  

114 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• This was a disaster of Hindenburg proportions! (HATE)
    • Twilight did not entertain me; I want a refund! (Dislike)
    • This trip was...a trip. (Meh)
    • Didn't care for that stuffy princess, but the service was great! (Like)
    • BEST AIR TRIP EVER!!! (LOVE)

All righty I REALLY liked what I saw, but I missed chunks of it so I can't give a rating myself. Will need a later viewing...

That said; POLL IS OPEN! :D

• Brohoof 3

Loved this episode. Shining and Flurry were hilarious. Never expected to see Iron Will be the antagonist. Stalker pony redeemed himself in the end. If he were a Pegasus he'd have a wingboner when Twilight hugged him. XD

If Starlight had somehow gone along, Iron Will would have found himself encased in crystal by the end of the first act. :orly:

I loved the fanponies weren't written to be thoughtless and stupid like they were in F&M. They handled fandom a lot better here while still making an effective statement about us.

• Brohoof 5

8 minutes ago, caseyastevens said:

Meh.  Fame and Misfortune was pretty damn good.  I find it to be one of the best this season.

I said in my "Fame and Misfortune" review and I'll say it again, that was an episode that was so divisive that there is no wrong way to feel about it.  Some people loved it, some people hated it, me, I mostly got a 'meh' takeaway from it because it felt like it was critiquing corners of the fandom that I can't really say I'm  part of in that I've only ever been to one con and, largely, conducted myself pretty well around celebs.  That and, unlike this episode, there wasn't a proper resolution between the Mane 6 and the "bad eggs" among their fans, which by the end of the episode was... pretty much all of their fans.  This episode focused on both the positive and negative aspects of having so many fans, whereas "Fame and Misfortune" focued squarely on the negative (though I did find Star Tracker to be a lame duck of a character, and a tad creepy, for most of the episode, he didn't do much for me but he also seemed pretty harmless overall).

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Truffles said:

If Starlight had somehow gone along, Iron Will would have found himself encased in crystal by the end of the first act. :orly:

Certainly would have found himself the recipient of one of her "little chats" - best not to annoy unicorns with powerful magic when you don't have wings and are on a zep :D

• Brohoof 3

Jesus christ I couldn't wait this! Over two years for another Twilight episodes to the quality levels of Amending Fences... (unless you count Top Bolt but that is not a 100% pure Twilight episode).

Well, I do apologize for saying Spike is neglected. That clearly isn't the case. Turns out he just likes spending time alone.

Why though? That's the only question now. He's been really anti-social alot. I mean ever since Starlight, Ember, and Thorax came to the picture.... hmm... 

• Brohoof 4

59 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

Well, I do apologize for saying Spike is neglected. That clearly isn't the case. Turns out he just likes spending time alone.

Why though? That's the only question now. He's been really anti-social alot. I mean ever since Starlight, Ember, and Thorax came to the picture.... hmm... 

He just really cares a lot about Twilight, even if they do argue and compete from time to time. He really loves being her #1 assistant and he had no qualms over taking over her Princess duties to give her a break.

I just hope he didn't go overboard with it like that other time... :lie: There's probably a fanfiction buried in there. :)

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 3

Fame and Misfortune was pretty damn good.  I find it to be one of the best this season.

I also think Fame and Misfortune is the best. Also this episode was the wait worth. 10/10

Edited by Buttonmash1973

Star Tracker...Gah, I simultaneously like and hate this pony. He was awkward and creepy at first but that obviously wasn't done with malicious intent, as he backed off when she kindly asked him to, showing he was more socially oblivious than intentionally doing it, so he's cool in my book. But he makes me feel all jealous, in that sorta "No, back off my waifu!" way, which not even Flash made me feel. Maybe it's cause he reminds me of myself, total Twilight fanboy, and to be honest I'd probably get over-eager and kinda awkward around her too if she was real and I met her. So...Yeah, stop making me feel jealous you cartoon horse.

Anyway, other than that, this was a great episode! Probably the best Twilight one we've had in a while, it was great finally seeing more of her parents and getting some real personalities and developments for them, and seeing the whole Sparkle family together (Minus Spike, though he still got a great moment to shine at the start) was really nice and led to some really heartwarming moments. Didn't expect to see Iron Will again but it was a pleasant surprise, I just overall had a good time with this episode, and it has a really good moral too.

Great episode!:twi:

• Brohoof 3

Oh boy, I'm pretty sure a lot of people can related to the moral of this episode. I really felt bad for Twilight here. Yes, she bit off more than she could chew, but she has a habit of ignoring her own well-being and I'm glad that Cadence brought her to her senses. That talk she had with Twilight was the best scene in the episode.

It's great to see Iron Will make a return. No doubt he was a lot more nasty than the last time we saw him. I gotta give him credit for both his escape and realizing his own "money back guarantee" mistake he made the last time as I thought it was clever on his part. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.

I have to say, I love Twilight's parent's especially her mom. The whole bit with her and extreme sports was hilarious.

I really didn't care for Startracker though. He was both cringey and creepy.

• Brohoof 5

Thank God for that Spike scene -- it's like the writers knew our concerns about his place in Twilight's family.

Also, who expected Iron Will -- of all people --to return? (Granted, I didn't like how they made him more like Flim and Flam, but at least his escape was still hilarious AF.)

Furthermore, the fans here >>>>>>>>> the ones from Fame And Misfortune.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.
  • Brohoof 4

So Far: Spike is great in the intro, and the assertive voice welcoming the ponies onto the Zeppelin sounds very familiar. Don't tell me if it's a long- gone character returning.

• Brohoof 2

This episode had problems with cringe, and had problems with overly slow pacing. If they had a B-Plot revolving around Spike, it probably would have been fine in that regard. Nonetheless, the episode wasn't really bad per say, but not really good either in my opinion. I say 7/10 for this one.

Love how Twilight teased SA as they boarded.

Night Light: I just wish I remember what contest we won.

Twilight: Wait. You don't know where this prize came from?

Velvet: When somepony offers you a free vacation, you just sign the paperwork and don't ask questions!

Hold up. Velvet, NL, you don't look at the authenticity of the prize and sign the paperwork blindly? Why don't you read the damn contract to see if it's a scam or not?

Just a little nitpick, but seeing scribbles in the color-coded rows would make the pamphlet look more…how do I say it…alive and real?

Oh, forgot. Long time, no see, Iron Will! ^^

One more thing. @PathfinderCS, Charles Demers isn't the writer, apparently. The writer credited is Brittany Jo Flores.

---

Iron Will outed Twilight as one of the ponies on the cruise. I have an educated guess he offered those tickets to her parents.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
Quote, not spoiler.
  • Brohoof 3

This was the episode I was hoping for. After the tragedy that was Fame and Misfortune, I complained about the fact the ponies seemingly did nothing about the fans that were taking advantage of them and simply shrugged it off. This worried me and I really at least wanted to see the ponies taking measures towards giving themselves the privacy they deserved, this episode did that and went beyond my expectations. This episode provided the message I really wish Fame and Misfortune had at least mentioned (aka Twilight telling them they can't please everyone and telling the ponies that despite this, they still need to do something about the harassment). Twilight is taken advantage of and while her fans and family are happy, she isn't. Because of this, she lashes out at her family and fans and Cadence finally says a phrase I wish was said in Fame and Misfortune, "draw the line." In Fame and Misfortune, ponies harrassed the main six and while they eventually realize they can't please everyone, that line was never drawn and it felt like they were just going to shrug off the harassment that came with their fame without doing anything about it.

Becuase of this, I am super glad Hasbro made a sort of follow up episode where we get to at least see Twilight draw the line and, unlike Fame and Misfortune that could really give the audience a bad message, it's nice to see this episode carried the lesson that was needed in a clear-cut way. The message they were trying to portray was clear and there were no mixed messages. So, basically, I'm glad that the staff handled a lesson like this the way they should have and better than they handled Fame and Misfortune, an episode that would have been great if it had been handled better and didn't carry such a mixed message. I'm glad to see this lesson was taught and to see that they did make an episode to remedy the mixed messages in Fame and Misfortune.

So, to sum up my thoughts, this episode had a great message, remedies the mixed messages Fame and Misfortune had, had amazing visuals, had some great screen time for Twilight's parents, and showed the return of a character that fit very well with this message. I hope the writing staff keeps it up because this season is looking really good so far.

Edited by Kreamer
Adding some stuff and fixing errors
  • Brohoof 3

Iron Will: Iron Will outlined all the details of the cruise in the prize acceptance and consent form… *to Velvet* that you signed.

Velvet: Well, when somepony offers you a free vacation, who reads the fine print?

Anyone with common sense.

Iron Will has a point about the cruise and theme.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

Obviously, he and Starlight threw the biggest party Ponyville has ever seen in Twilight's castle while she was on vacation.

1 hour ago, BasementSparkle said:

Star Tracker...Gah, I simultaneously like and hate this pony. He was awkward and creepy at first but that obviously wasn't done with malicious intent, as he backed off when she kindly asked him to, showing he was more socially oblivious than intentionally doing it, so he's cool in my book. But he makes me feel all jealous, in that sorta "No, back off my waifu!" way, which not even Flash made me feel. Maybe it's cause he reminds me of myself, total Twilight fanboy, and to be honest I'd probably get over-eager and kinda awkward around her too if she was real and I met her. So...Yeah, stop making me feel jealous you cartoon horse.

Anyway, other than that, this was a great episode! Probably the best Twilight one we've had in a while, it was great finally seeing more of her parents and getting some real personalities and developments for them, and seeing the whole Sparkle family together (Minus Spike, though he still got a great moment to shine at the start) was really nice and led to some really heartwarming moments. Didn't expect to see Iron Will again but it was a pleasant surprise, I just overall had a good time with this episode, and it has a really good moral too.

Great episode!:twi:

I knew Star Tracker was going to get some hate, but he really was just an awkward teenager getting to enjoy a once in a lifetime opportunity. I hope the hate doesn't go overboard.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Batbrony said:

I said in my "Fame and Misfortune" review and I'll say it again, that was an episode that was so divisive that there is no wrong way to feel about it.  Some people loved it, some people hated it, me, I mostly got a 'meh' takeaway from it because it felt like it was critiquing corners of the fandom that I can't really say I'm  part of in that I've only ever been to one con and, largely, conducted myself pretty well around celebs.  That and, unlike this episode, there wasn't a proper resolution between the Mane 6 and the "bad eggs" among their fans, which by the end of the episode was... pretty much all of their fans.  This episode focused on both the positive and negative aspects of having so many fans, whereas "Fame and Misfortune" focued squarely on the negative (though I did find Star Tracker to be a lame duck of a character, and a tad creepy, for most of the episode, he didn't do much for me but he also seemed pretty harmless overall).

Don't really think its that divisive.  From what I've heard and seen, it sounds most bronies enjoyed it than disliked it.  Not to mention the fans on this site seemed to love it judging how the poll shows.  

Edited by caseyastevens

Just now, ShootingStar159 said:

I knew Star Tracker was going to get some hate, but he really was just an awkward teenager getting to enjoy a once in a lifetime opportunity. I hope the hate doesn't go overboard.

Yeah, his early behavior bugs me, but he mostly makes up for it at the end and I can't really blame him for being so excited to hang out with Twilight like that. While I spent a decent portion of the episode wanting to toss him overboard, he backed off when Twilight asked and even stood up for her to Iron Will, so I think he's alright. A little sad to see so many already latching onto his early behavior and ignoring what he did at the end.

• Brohoof 4