Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will season 8 be the last?

Mlppotterwhoovian

What’s your reasoning behind this question? I feel like there’s more to secondary characters like Starlight in particular. She could potentially take over Twilight’s role but they would probably stick with the Friendship Is Magic title. I don’t think season 8 is going to be the last of the title, what makes you think so?

Well, I think that’s a dumb thing to mention so early on. :dash: The show has been doing great to the point that we have a cinema movie out at this very moment. I think it would be a waste to cancel the show since there’s much more potential with different characters.

• Brohoof 2

I'm doubtful it'll be the last one, the show is still fairly popular, enough so we just got a theatrical film. The show probably, for better or worse, won't end until it stops making money for Hasbro, and who knows when that will happen. I still think there's plenty of room for good stories to tell though, so I'm not too worried about the show's future, more seasons is alright with me!

• Brohoof 4

• The title was changed to Will season 8 be the last?

Nah, seasons 9 or 10 will be the last! ;) Having 2 or 3 more seasons will give enough time to tie up all the loose ends on the show, and then end in season 10 when the pony decade ends! Now I'm not saying this should be the end of MLP - just the end of G4. The end of FiM. If it sticks around too long, it'll end up like SpongeBob or the Simpsons. If MLP should continue, perhaps after season 10, it'll be time for a new generation afterwards! It's the smartest move! ;)

• Brohoof 3

I would think that Hasbro would like to ride on the Movie's initial release and awareness a bit further than just one more season. After something like a full feature film, I would like to see a couple more seasons perhaps maybe up to 9 just wrap up things up nicely to leave a positive, good and lasting impression for the show.

Season 8 would potentially be about anymore needed characterization, plots or ideas and Season 9 is the season to finally to wrap and conclude things up for everything as a whole.

• Brohoof 1

Definitely NOT. As long as mlp is popular, it's going to make money, and as long as it keeps making money, they're gonna keep making episodes. Of course that's not to say friendship is magic won't come to an end and be remade.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:36 AM, StrawCherry said:

What’s your reasoning behind this question? I feel like there’s more to secondary characters like Starlight in particular. She could potentially take over Twilight’s role but they would probably stick with the Friendship Is Magic title. I don’t think season 8 is going to be the last of the title, what makes you think so?

The series began with Twilight and her friends, so it's going to end with Twilight and her friends. I think it would be insulting for it to be otherwise. Besides, secondary characters really only do well because they're SECONDARY, not main characters. A lot of them could not carry the show on their own. Most of them are more gimmicky than compelling (Maud, Trixie, Discord etc.). Like I enjoy Maud Pie a lot when she shows up once in a while, but I'd get tired of her after about three straight episodes with her as a major character. Her whole emotionless monotone gimmick only works in small doses. Pretty much all secondary characters are good in small doses only.

Except Trixie. She's good in absolutely no doses whatsoever. 

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Babyyoshi309 said:

There will be at least 2 more seasons. :nom:

That wouldn't matter much to me anyway, for whatever I'm dying to see at all involving my favorite characters would only require at least just one more season.

37 minutes ago, Jeric said:

You mean this

I also was thinking he meant that.

That would mean 2019 no? Which would mean there would be a season 9 unless there was some random hiatus.

Aannnd the show was meant to end in season 3 so lets not assume Hasbro had 5 years locked in when they said that in 2014.

I've been part of this fandom since season 4, and every time a new season was announced after that, one of these threads has popped up.  My answer is the same every time too: maybe, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  It's easier to just assume it isn't as thus far the answer has clearly been no.  We will never know what the last season will be until someone from Hasbro or DHX comes out and says a given season will be, but there is clearly a sizeable part of the fandom that is obsessed with the notion of the show ending even though nothing of the sort has been brought up by any official source.  Whether you want the show to end before it ends up like The Simpsons or wish for it to go on forever even knowing that all good things must come to an end, this is not the first discussion on this topic and it won't be the last, so I guess I should just accept it and provide some cynical input when prompted.  

• Brohoof 1

I think we'll know it soon enough: as I pointed a while ago, MLP saw a more gradual drop in sales in the last three quarters of year, and that made me believing that the show lost all of its powers of pulling the sales (consider that most of the S7 eps had ratings lower than 100k). If it wasn't for the existence of the Movie and of course the merchandize from it derived I would have considered already granted that the S8 would have been the last. The Movie's products have been officially stocked on August 1st, and the next quarter call report will be on october 22nd. If the merchandize from the Movie was successful then of course Hasbro will greenlight a S9. Otherwise, well yes, the S8 will be the last.

Longnstory short: we'll know better about the fate of the series on October 22nd when the next earnings report is released. 

I have had this slight feeling that season 8 could be the end, but I sure as hell don't want it to be. The team clearly is still going strong, as season 7, for me, was the best season in the show. Imagine if we got as far to be celebrating the show's 10th anniversary WHILE the show was still going on! It would be incredible and if the writers can keep it going like they have in season 7, I want the show to go on for as long as it possibly can. Seeing the movie made me reflect on this subject a lot and the thought of the show ending pains me.

• Brohoof 3