Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler (Official) Rest of S7 leaked, beware of spoilers

Steve Piranha

8 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

I mean this is the place to do so.

Hey, on the plus side, if I watch all the episodes now, the official airing of the episodes on Saturday mornings won't get in the way of me preparing to do my weekend job.

Edited by WiiGuy2014

Just now, WiiGuy2014 said:

Hey, on the plus side, if I watch all the episodes now, the official airing of the episodes on Saturday mornings won't get in the way of me preparing to do my weekend job.

There ya go, Honestly I just felt like watching them so I did.

And with a finale that fantastic (imo) I think it was well worth it.

Just now, Ryanmahaffe said:

There ya go, Honestly I just felt like watching them so I did.

And with a finale that fantastic (imo) I think it was well worth it.

I will say this: I'm having dessert before the appetizer episode and the  2-part mane course, with that episode order, get it? LOL!

All I'm gonna say is that Secrets and Pies (2/10) was the worst episode of the season for me, but Shadow Play parts 1&2 (9/10) was the best of the season and one of the best season finale's of the show.

Edited by Nsxile

5 hours ago, RulesofRarity said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I found the link scrolling through that comment section. Shadow Play was great! 

Seriously though. Hasbro needs to fix their security. 

Yeah, with season 7 and the movie being leaked, Hasbro pretty much publicly shown its security is bad.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

EQG IS CANON  AND FIENDSHIP IS NON CANON

HAHAHAHAHAHA, YEESSS, TWO VICTORIES

wait, how is EQG (Equestria Girls) now Canon? No, wait. I'm only at Shadow Play part 2.

6 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

wait, how is EQG (Equestria Girls) now Canon? No, wait. I'm only at Shadow Play part 2.

Because the Sirens/Dazzlings were revealed to have been banished to the Human World by the Pillars, not merely Star Swirl being a sore loser over a singing-contest.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.
  • Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

Because the Sirens/Dazzlings were revealed to have been banished to the Human World by the Pillars, not merely Star Swirl being a sore loser over a singing-contest.

Yeah, I just now saw that flashback in more detail. Great Cameo!

Wow! So I managed to see the Movie AND the Season 7 Finale! Best Weekend in a while! Plus, I saw the peak into Season 8. I am so looking forward to it, no matter long it takes!

• Brohoof 2

Quick Thoughts:

Secrets and Pies: Wait some of you think this is the bad one? I thought this one was one of the funniest episodes of the season. Might be my Pinkie bias speaks, but pretty much all her antics are on point. Also the episode kind of plays out like a Looney Tunes short or an early Spongebob episode with how simple it is, especially when Pinkie is trying to get Dash to eat a pie. Also that imagine sequence just cracked me up. 

Uncommon Bond: This one I'm kind of mixed on. On one hand, I really relate to this plot and it does have a sweet ending, but on the other hand, Starlight was kind of unlikable. She acts like a clingy girlfriend who gets pissy whenever her guy so much as glances at another girl. She was also kind of creepy. When she turned herself and Sunburst into foals I was like "Uuuuuuuhh this raises bad implications." 

Shadow Play: Pretty fun finale overall. It made me notice how this season has had a strong focus on Equestrian history. This one will probably be a fanfic writer's wet dream. I mean come on, you have Starsiwrl facing off against the Pony of Shadows.  I'm not sure how this would rank for me in comparison to the other two parters. Probably somewhere between The Cutie Remark/To Where and Back Again and Twilight's Kingdom.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

Between The Movie and this, I think my head's ready to explode now.

Reveal hidden contents

That popular theory about Star Swirl somehow creating the Elements?

Canon_Logo_350_tcm13-959888.jpg

P.S.: R.I.P., FIENDship Is Magic #3 (the comic about the Sirens/Dazzlings).

If EQG is canon then EQG Specials are canon and Starlight has met Sunset!

So, uh... can we Sunset meeting Celestia episode? 

I went through the episodes today, and I have a lot to talk about them.

Secrets & Pies:

Spoiler

This one stunk. Badly. Pinkie's characterization is the worst of the season; the fact that she fell for all of Dash's tricks for so long turned her into a mega-idiot. The entire story is a stretched-out, paper-thin ripoff of Party of One. Rainbow Dash (as wrong as she was for lying and betraying Pinkie's trust) had to undergo the same shtick of having to be taught a lesson. Almost every joke sucked. They either stretched for far too long (Dash's "look at that!" was repetitive and got old after the first time), degraded characterization (Dash throwing a pie down Tank's feeding chute again to escape the pie gift. VERY OOC of her to overlook Tank's health!), or were just gross (Pinkie's big-lipped face, her fatigued eyes, and the dumpster pie).

The only redeeming values here are Pinkie's imagination creating the evil Dash in her memory, Twilight and AJ, the moral itself, and Pinkie waking up Dash.

No, it's not awful, so no F grade. But it's a bad one. Easily Hamilton's worst episode so far.

Uncommon Bond:

Spoiler

This one is excellent. To get a couple of problems out of the way, the montage was a little too repetitive with the same exact score. Varying things a little would make the meetups with Twilight, Trixie, and Maud a little more asymmetrical. The repetitive dialogue hammered in the "(not in) common" aspect too much.

Other than that, there were a lot of really great things. Starlight was excellent here. Everything about her screamed childlike. Giddy, happy, and really depressed when she feared her friendship with Sunburst ebbed away. Her friendship with those three was examined further when Sunburst was added to the mix, providing great conflict. Good for the episode to acknowledge how Starlight's spell to play their childhood game was both overdone and a little creepy.

Speaking of Starlight's spell, the scene wasn't treated as a joke in any way. They played it straight and was taken seriously. Simultaneously, the viewer can understand where she's coming from. Starlight's so desperate in trying to keep their friendship intact by finding something in common that she'll do anything to remedy those mistakes. When it didn't work, it hurt her. But it wasn't some kind of scene dump or filler. They called back to it when they played the life-sized version of Dragon Pit.

Sunburst was excellent. He hit off quite well with SG's friends, but was never written as the bad guy at any point. His reasons were believable.

Trixie and Maud were really good. Some of their best appearances this series.

The resolve was also excellent. Just because you're grown up doesn't mean quitting your childhood pastimes, and being apart doesn't mean giving up on your friendship. SG zapping the floor to "trap" the dragon was funny. XD

Finally, Shadow Play:

Spoiler

Wow. Just…wow.

Spoiler

What a pile of complete amazing! :D

During the season, many of the episodes don't treat the conflict as one side completely good and bad. Parental Glideance, Perfect Pear, To Change, Marks & Recreation, Zeppelin, Health of Information, and Uncommon Bond show that stories don't have to have one side painted bad to write great stories and teach lessons to kids. Even when a character is written to be in the wrong, you see where they're coming from. Shadow Play does this in the grandest way. No side is treated 100% in the right or wrong. Sure, heroes and villains are established, but neither side is confined to a vacuum. There are shades of gray.

FIM has many strengths; villains traditionally aren't. Starlight and Discord are the best ones in the series, yet had some problems. Discord with his expository backstory. Starlight's backstory being brief and self-contained. Haber was able to fix those issues with Stygian, the most complex — and perhaps best — villain of the show. When the episode showed the flashback of Stygian becoming the Pony of Shadows, it was as straightforward as Nightmare Moon's. But as SP progressed, so do his backstory and character. More and more pieces become added into the puzzle. The clever twist to turn the episode into a friendship problem connected the main plot to Starlight and the personal touches that followed.

Speaking of Starlight, she was absolutely magnificent here. The episode didn't insert her into a primary role immediately. It took the map calling the RM6 to where she becomes an integral piece of the story, but it does it so seamlessly that it feels like she was there the whole time. She recognized the oddity, became the voice of reason, and was able to retrieve more pieces of the puzzle. Stygian's backstory paralleling SG's isn't an accident. Out of everyone there, she's the only one who understood him, even though she didn't know him. When Star Swirl judged him as irredeemable, it cut into her so deeply, she cried.

Twilight's actions make sense. Her longtime idol was stuck in limbo for over a millennium, and she only wanted to help him and the rest of the pillars. She believed that by releasing them from their prison, they're free. When SS criticized her for her mistake, she felt so embarrassed and ashamed that she'll do whatever it takes to impress him and save Equestria simultaneously. Not the right mindset, but very believable.

Her best moment, though, is when she stopped the Friendship Cannon when she saw Stygian struggle to free himself from the PoS. Someone was trying to free himself from the cloud of anger and revenge, but couldn't do it. She (and later Starlight) had to talk to him like an equal to help convince him to give up being the Pony of Shadows.

This is on top of the witty dialogue (some of the series's best), excellent comedy, how everyone matters here, the excellent pacing, and how deep the plot is. I could explain so much, but I'll stop here. This episode floored me the first time, and it gets better upon every rewatch. Re-Mark, stand aside! You're eclipsed by the both the new best two-part finale of the series and one of the eight best episodes of the show.

In case you're curious, here are my grades for each. Also under the tag:

Spoiler
  • Secrets & Pies: D
  • Uncommon Bond: A-
  • Shadow Play: A+

SP's only the eighth episode with an A+. I'll have to think about where to place it.

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to (Official) Rest of S7 leaked, beware of spoilers

Just so everyone knows this will be the thread to be discussing anything related to the leaked episodes. Please do not share spoilers or episodes details outside of this thread until the episode premiers.

Additionally there will be NO sharing of download or streaming links, and do not points others to where such things can be found.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 4

I'm glad they got leaked, I got to watch the rest of the series without having it wait! And it was awesome! Without wishing to spoil anything, the finale is really good, go find the leaks and watch them!

In regards to Shadow Play

Spoiler

If there was still any doubt about EQG being canon, well..... 

Spoiler

large.png

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 3

Watch the last episodes and i must say:

(Spoiler & movie)

Twilight become more "annoying". I know that she use her friends as a distraction to steal something from their life saviour in the movie. And now she mess up again, by bringing back the 6 ponies without thinking they would also bring back the bad guy? For a character who should be the smartest, she act like an idiot.

16 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Secrets and Pies: Was expecting this to be the worst episode of the season.... WOW! This was fantastic and I honestly loved it.

Uncommon Bond: I was expecting this to be one of the best of the season... It was pretty good, not fantastic though

Shadow Play I+II: Fantastic finale, well paced, good action, a threatening (if limited) villain with exciting moments and lore revelations. On point humor, Starswirl is as badass as I thought he would be. My only gripe is that the Pony of Shadows didn't do much and we didn't learn enough of this super interesting (Darkness)

Overall, I will have to watch again before I decide if this is my new favorite finale and by extension...season. 

That's great to hear. I'm sticking to the official release dates and after viewing the fantastic Once Upon A Zeppelin this morning and hearing your comments about the final four, I'm certain that this cements Season 7 as the best one yet.

Just watched the last 4 episodes. My brief first impressions:

Secrets and Pies: @Dark Qiviut is right, this is a premise that went on for far too long. The episode needed to switch things up halfway through to keep it interesting. It has it's funny moments, but I was tired of it all by the second act.

Uncommon Bond: Geeze, Twilight - why don't you and Starburst get a room already? XD I loved how they geeked out over antiques. That is something I never knew about either of them. Leave it to Starlight to unseal the Mirror Pool to use it again. :sunny: Loved that they wondered whether any of the Pinkies were still roaming around down there right when it was revealed Maud's home really was part of the same cavern system. I was frustrated with the ending (of course) that they set up a life size version of Dragon Pit and didn't think to invite the actual real live dragon living in the castle to play. :dry:

Shadow Play: This was the finale it seems we have been dreaming of for the last several seasons - a story that involves the entire Mane 6 again. But not only that, it also included Spike, Starlight, Starburst and even Celestia and Luna got involved. (Though I would think they should have been present to help send The Pony of Shadows back to Limbo.)

I geeked out when Spike got paired with Rainbow Dash for the first time ever in the series, and they both took on Garble of all dragons. I guess his hugging task was completed? XD The dragons were a bit too cardboard cutout compared to how they were in GoF, so that was a bit of a bummer.

I don't know how to reconcile the discontinuity between the villain here and the end of "Castle Mania." How could he be playing the organ if he was trapped in Limbo? :confused:

It was way too predictable Starlight was going to be the one to solve the problem, and that's why I liked pt 1 better than pt 2. It was painful to see Twilight's idol treat her with such disdain. Hopefully they explore their relationship further next season, maybe in an episode where Twilight tries to explain to him what she did to fix his spell and give MMC a pseudo pt 2 like it deserves.

I like how everypony managed to stay. That and the movie (which I have yet to see) should give the series a lot of new stories to tell. Hopefully we'll get an episode where Celestia and Luna catch up with their beloved teacher again, though I guess they've shot down any fanon that Luna and Starswirl were romantically involved.