Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler (Official) Rest of S7 leaked, beware of spoilers

Steve Piranha

44 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

I will say one thing about Secrets and Pies: While I did really like it, I feel like more people would've liked it if it was shorter. Even when watching it I was thinking, "This feels like it should be a 7-11 minute short." Maybe something similar to thise EQG Summer shorts.

That's kinda one thought I had. To be fair, the episode was probably salvageable ... I kept thinking that RD has a dietary issue she is embarrassed about. During the episode I was trying to recall if she every ate any sweets and thought ... what if she is diabetic or has celiac ... or a Pony equivalent dietary condition? 

Watched Secrets and Pies followed by Uncommon Bonds. I enjoyed both for what they were but each had one big personal quirk to me: Pies had a conflict that, in the end, was really silly. Sure, the message was a good one, but it being about pies when RD could have easily been honest form the beginning, it was a strange way to get the point across. Pinkie wasn't too bad here, which I feared she might have been overdone in this one.

Uncommon Bonds, probably the better of the two episodes, yet...I enjoyed Pies more. Simply because of one thing: UB hit a bit close to home. Seems a lot of episodes this season have done that. It had me feeling rather sad afterwards because my emotions know no bounds of being screwed up. The scene when Starlight made the spell for her and Sunburst, that whole scene got to me. Her trying so hard to hold onto their childhood fun and not being able to, it was depressing to watch. Made me think of my life and how I basically have no connection with my offline friends anymore. Years back they enjoyed playing video games with me and going to places. It was simple, but we enjoyed it. Now, they are pretty much always doing their own things now. We don't seem to hang out anymore. I still really like doing those same things from the past, but they seem to have moved on. That is why this episode got to me so much. It is made worse by the fact that, unlike Starlight and Sunburst, me and my friends have no real connection anymore.

Still, this episode was really good. Sunburst was awesome, was very happy to see more of him and this might be my favorite episode involving Starlight. I think this was her done in a near perfect way. So despite my own personal problems, this is the best Starlight episode. And since I watched the finale first, it was interesting to see the small setup to the finale in this episode.

This was a damn good season even if I cried at these episodes more than I care to admit. I think this might be my favorite season.

• Brohoof 2

I watched the leaked episodes as expected--waiting for them to come naturally was pointless given how fast spoilers tend to spread--and I was completely floored by how good the season finale turned out. I had to watch it a second time just to make sure I didn't miss anything because of how good it was.

• Brohoof 1

Just going to point out that Haber was the only story editor here, and he is the only writer mentioned in the episode, no Dubuc.

Take that Haber haters

HAHA he takes back his place in my heart as best writer yet again.

I am not going to talk about them until the actual release. However I liked all of them... yes including Secrets and Pies. I expected a silly goofy nonsensical episode starring Pinkie, and I got one. No regrets. Uncommon Bond so much fun... and the finale.. well.... all I can say is wow. It threw a monkey wrench in a lot of my head canons. I would be annoyed if I did not like it so much.

1 hour ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Just going to point out that Haber was the only story editor here, and he is the only writer mentioned in the episode, no Dubuc.

Take that Haber haters

giphy.gif

32 minutes ago, Jeric said:

giphy.gif

Well, I do feel at this point Haber has proven himself capable of two parters. His only "bad" one is the Crystalling in my opinion.

Althouugh, I hope this doesn't mean he is the sole story editor on season 8.

On 10/8/2017 at 9:34 AM, Crystal Peppermint said:

Watch the last episodes and i must say:

(Spoiler & movie)

Reveal hidden contents

Twilight become more "annoying". I know that she use her friends as a distraction to steal something from their life saviour in the movie. And now she mess up again, by bringing back the 6 ponies without thinking they would also bring back the bad guy? For a character who should be the smartest, she act like an idiot.

Spoiler

I haven't watched the film and know very few spoilers (don't tell me any more, please), but Twilight's actions in SP were completely understandable. She legitimately believed that by freeing the Pillars from their millennia-long "slumber," Equestria would be much safer from really nasty evil. By accidentally releasing an evil, she felt embarrassed and ashamed and would do whatever it took to fix it.

33 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Well, I do feel at this point Haber has proven himself capable of two parters. His only "bad" one is the Crystalling in my opinion.

Haber's as capable of writing two-parters as anyone on the roster. Any writer can write good, average, or bad. Nonetheless, other than To Where, he's done far better than I anticipated.

Maybe it's working with the Lady Writers for most of 7B, the experience he collected as editor last season, his work outside FIM during S7, or a combination. I don't know. But after Haber returned to the show, the number of high-quality episodes skyrocketed. His return was probably the best thing to happen in S7.

5 hours ago, Sly said:
  Reveal hidden contents

somehow Haber instead managed to handle perfectly well 15 FUCKING CHARACTERS in just 44 minutes of episode..... I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes....

Spoiler

I have to agree. It absolutely floored me how Haber juggled with that many characters (not including side ones, BTW) and made each of them matter. Not one line of dialogue felt off in any way, and they all had personality.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

30 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I haven't watched the film and know very few spoilers (don't tell me any more, please), but Twilight's actions in SP were completely understandable. She legitimately believed that by freeing the Pillars from their millennia-long "slumber," Equestria would be much safer from really nasty evil. By accidentally releasing an evil, she felt embarrassed and ashamed and would do whatever it took to fix it.

Haber's as capable of writing two-parters as anyone on the roster. Any writer can write good, average, or bad. Nonetheless, other than To Where, he's done far better than I anticipated.

Maybe it's working with the Lady Writers for most of 7B, the experience he collected as editor last season, his work outside FIM during S7, or a combination. I don't know. But after Haber returned to the show, the number of high-quality episodes skyrocketed. His return was probably the best thing to happen in S7.

Reveal hidden contents

I have to agree. It absolutely floored me how Haber juggled with that many characters (not including side ones, BTW) and made each of them matter. Not one line of dialogue felt off in any way, and they all had personality.

Eh, obviously any writer can write a two parter, I meant such high quality excellent ones, I don't think F.M Demarco could have given us something so incredible.

The only writers I consider on habers level nowadays is Lady Writers, and Maybe Meghan

24 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Eh, obviously any writer can write a two parter, I meant such high quality excellent ones, I don't think F.M Demarco could have given us something so incredible.

The only writers I consider on habers level nowadays is Lady Writers, and Maybe Meghan

McCarthy's really good, but her self-contained episodes are collectively better. Each two-parter she wrote leaves a lot to be desired. TK is her best one, but could've been a whole lot better.

Haber, The Lady Writers, Hamilton, May Chan, and the team of Chris Burke and Doc White are really good, too; personally, I trust them more than McCarthy to write a two-parter.

As horrid as 28PL is, it's still De Marco's only episode. If or when she returns, hopefully she'll publish something really good.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

3 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Take that Haber haters

Lol I'm all like "He better have gotten better!" because the last thing I want is to see S6's bs return in S8 :P

• Brohoof 3

Spoiler

You know? Upon thinking about it, I think that I'm gonna recognize Shadow Play as a miracle of animation. I really don't know how he did that but somehow Josh Haber, the same man who killed my hype for this series one year ago, made great use of 15 characters at the same time, unveiled some of the biggest misteries of the entire series AND expanded lore and backstory ALL AT THE SAME TIME, ALL BY HIMSELF AND ALL IN JUST A 44 MINUTES EPISODE. This finale putted together all the pieces of the puzzle that have been setted during the past seasons, and the result was extremely satisfying. Good job Josh. Good job.

• Brohoof 1

Finally saw Shadow Play 

Spoiler

Holy fuck balls that was the best finale since Best Night Ever and the best 2-parter since Cutie Map, both being some really high praises on my part. 

- Loved the expanded lore
- The Pillars themselves and how they worked with the mane 6
- Pony of Shadows was an awesome villain
- The mane 6 brought their A-game and were finally used properly instead of getting screwed over
- One of Starlight's best appearances
- Sunburst getting a chance to shine in a 2 parter again was such a nice delight
- DAZZLINGS ARE CANON :D
- Seriously for handling so many characters they all got a moment to shine which is a huge shocker
- It'll be interesting to see how the Pillars will be used in future episodes
- As a side note, Garble getting schooled is always a treat, especially when it's from RD and Spike. Also can we get more Rainbow Spike team ups

Season 5 you've officially been dethroned as the best season of the show

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 4

4 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Finally saw Shadow Play 

Reveal hidden contents

Holy fuck balls that was the best finale since Best Night Ever and the best 2-parter since Cutie Map, both being some really high praises on my part. 

- Loved the expanded lore
- The Pillars themselves and how they worked with the mane 6
- Pony of Shadows was an awesome villain
- The mane 6 brought their A-game and were finally used properly instead of getting screwed over
- One of Starlight's best appearances
- Sunburst getting a chance to shine in a 2 parter again was such a nice delight
- Seriously for handling so many characters they all got a moment to shine which is a huge shocker
- It'll be interesting to see how the Pillars will be used in future episodes
- As a side note, Garble getting schooled is always a treat, especially when it's from RD and Spike

Season 5 you've officially been dethroned as the best season of the show

Spoiler

Like I said, somehow Haber did a miracle with this one.

Also I don't know if you missed this but:

large.png

Rainbow dash found a companion of beverage. XD

• Brohoof 4

I noticed something interesting about the Pillars

Somnombula and Meadowbrook are Pinkie and Fluttershy's counterparts respectively, except Somnombula is a Pegasus instead and Meadowbrook is a Earth pony......kinda like Pinkie and FS were originally supposed to be(Surprise and Posey)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

I noticed something interesting about the Pillars

Somnombula and Meadowbrook are Pinkie and Fluttershy's counterparts respectively, except Somnombula is a Pegasus instead and Meadowbrook is a Earth pony......kinda like Pinkie and FS were originally supposed to be(Surprise and Posey)

On top of that Meadowbrook was going to be Flutter's name :D 

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 1

I've watched the last 4 episodes (college started and with these leaks I could quickly wrap up the season), and I'm more or less impressed. Man, this season has gone on fast!

Be warned of spoilers, the spoiler below has all 4 episodes (Secrets and Pies, Uncommon Bond and the Shadow Play two parter).

Secrets and Pies - I... have no words. To me this is basically Party of One except it revolves around pies and Rainbow Dash not liking pie... who also seems to exhibit rather questionable characterization during the episode (although she does try to make up for it by trying to eat a huge... uh... I don't know if that "pie" was even edible to be honest). I don't know, the episode just rubs me the wrong way. In my personal opinion, this is by far one and the only stinker in S7.

Uncommon Bond - I like this episode, and I can pretty much relate to it as I have (had?) a friend who I haven't seen in forever and fear that we've grown apart despite spending a lot of time together as children due to family related issues among our parents that split us apart. Sunburst yelling at Starlight that he doesn't want to play Dragon Pit while she's trying to relive their childhood times tugged at my heart especially since Starlight has been trying to properly spend time with him for a while now, but later he makes up for it and I forgave him. Not a bad episode at all!

Shadow Play - Where do I begin? This episode blew me away, what with introducing a pretty cool shadow villain and having the Pillars - Starswirl the Bearded included - be returned to the present time in Twilight's attempt to save them from limbo (but accidentally releasing the Pony of Shadows as well). What blew me away even more was a twist that I never saw coming; the core of the Pony of Shadows - Stygian - was not a true villain and was instead consumed by a dark entity that used him as a vessel (and rather than using a magical reformation ray, they literally pulled Stygian out of the entity!), and an even more shocking revelation was that the Pillars - the very ponies that were heralded as legendary heroes all across Equestria - were the ones who led the Pony of Shadows to exist by casting Stygian out after hastily jumping to conclusions and assuming he wanted to steal their powers without talking it out first and finding out he only wanted their respect and nothing more, which means that the villain was the result of a misunderstanding followed by the Pillars' impulsive actions. The show basically just placed seemingly infallible characters into a light that paints them as genuinely flawed despite the heroics they were known for. What's even more apparent is that Starswirl, the very wizard that was especially respected, acted quite full of himself even in the face of an actual princess acknowledged as such by his own students (just listen to him dismiss Twilight's spell sketch, calling it "half-baked", before her friends stand up for her and remind him that she became a princess by finishing one of his own spells), but in the end after he sees her trying to free Stygian from darkness and trying to solve the miscommunication between the two parties, he sees how wrong he was and later remarks how he'll have to make a lot of apologies (after helping save Stygian, of course). In my opinion, this is how you write characters and their development. You give them strengths and weaknesses, and then have them overcome those weaknesses in a realistic way.
I also love how when the Friendship Map showed several dark locations the Pony of Shadows could draw his power from, they all more or less turned out to be duds (except for one place, but even then the villain didn't have a lot of power to garner). I found it funny when they went to one of them and it was basically just a city with ponies going on with their lives like nothing's wrong.

14 minutes ago, Eggy0 said:

Hide contents

I found it funny when they went to one of them and it was basically just a city with ponies going on with their lives like nothing's wrong.

Spoiler

I really wonder how the pillars pf the old Equestria will adeguate to the life of the modern Equestria. That could be a nice idea for an episode in future seasons. Asd i get some kind of Samurai Jack feeling in this, althought they are not gonna get back to the past. XD

Edited by Sly

You know, in all of my enthusiasm after watching the S7 finale, there is just one thing I don't understand: the bars with thismfinale were setted very high and the final result was extremely satisfying.... so why Hasbro or DHX didn't created any kind of hype around this finale? To say: the synopsis first appeared just two weeks ago and they didn't show any kind of preview for itYou know, in all of my enthusiasm after watching the S7 finale, there is just one thing I don't understand: the bars with thismfinale were setted very high and the final result was extremely satisfying.... so why Hasbro or DHX didn't created any kind of hype around this finale? To say: the synopsis first appeared just two weeks ago and they didn't show any kind of preview for it at the HASCON (instead they just limited to show previews for two slice of life eps of S7).... they did the same thing two years ago for Crusaders of The Lost mark: that episode was VERY big, and yet by the airing of it the only thing we had was the synopsis... I really wonder how Hasbro/Dhx/Discovery works while hyping things for the series...

Guess they were too busy promoting the mediocre film

Anyway, enjoyed all of these. Always fun to see Pinkie and RD bounce off of each other like in Secrets and Pies and in general I think people get way too anal about how they think they're supposed to act. They've always been the more immature of the mane 6 so I find any perceived lapses in character development to be pretty forgivable.

Finale was great too and I hope they run with the Spike/RD dynamic more often in the future. They really haven't spent too much time together to this point and seems like there'd be a lot of potential for future Dragon-centered adventure episodes with them, if not for Ponyville ones. It would be kind of amusing to see Twilight or Rarity get jealous if Spike started to like hanging out with her more often.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

On 10/10/2017 at 3:56 AM, Ryanmahaffe said:

Take that Haber haters

Maybe Dubuc gave him a boost ;) Anyway, as much as i love To Where and Remark (beside the ending) but i consider this finale is Haber's finest work, he went beyond my expectations.

That guy already wrote 4 two-parters for the show and i liked 3 of them. 

Random: However, no matter how good he is as a writer... Never let Haber be story editor.

• Brohoof 1