Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony movie box office

Steve Piranha

On 10/8/2017 at 11:52 AM, Mesme Rize said:

But to be fair, it really shows that the brony community is not as big as some people like to believe.

I don't think this means the community isn't big, there are some explanations for the lower than expected gross.

• Some might be afraid of being judged.
  • Some would rather not go to the theaters and deal with loud children or babies that might be there and ruin the experience.
  • They might be busy with other things.
  • Some theaters in their area might not have a showing.
  • The movie hasn't been entirely released internationally.
  • The movie has only been around for one weekend and most couldn't make it then.

I'm one of those that didn't show up on opening weekend due to certain factors, but I hope to watch it either this weekend, next week, or next weekend at the latest. I'm just worried that the showing won't last too long or I would be "too late" to have seen it. 

Does anyone think this movie could last in theaters for more than a month?

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

I don't think this means the community isn't big, there are some explanations for the lower than expected gross.

• Some might be afraid of being judged.
  • Some would rather not go to the theaters and deal with loud children or babies that might be there and ruin the experience.
  • They might be busy with other things.
  • Some theaters in their area might not have a showing.
  • The movie hasn't been entirely released internationally.
  • The movie has only been around for one weekend and most couldn't make it then.

I'm one of those that didn't show up on opening weekend due to certain factors, but I hope to watch it either this weekend, next week, or next weekend at the latest. I'm just worried that the showing won't last too long or I would be "too late" to have seen it. 

Does anyone think this movie could last in theaters for more than a month?

Not sure if it'll last more than a month, for the look of things, it's not successful enough for it, but I don't think it's such a failure that it'll be removed next week either :huh:

At least, according to our friend wikipedia, it grossed a bit over 10 million in North America by Monday, making it on the lower end, but still within the predicted grossing in the opening weekend :huh:

• Brohoof 1

It'll be around for a while. It isn't a super smash so it won't linger like a Dunkirk or Cars 3(both of which are still in several hundred theaters), but it should maintain 2500 theaters for about a month and then slowly dissipate past that.

On 10/11/2017 at 5:09 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

If Hasbo had struck while the iron was hot (four or so years ago) they could have expected much higher returns. Instead of pouring resources into Equestria Girls movies in hopes of cashing in on a new merchandise line, they should have focused on making their money in movie ticket sales, which would have promoted the MLP toy line anyway. 

Movie wouldn't be doing much better actually. The fact is only 2,500 theaters are showing the movie and that kinda cripples the box office chances.

If the movie had come out when the fandom was at it's peak I think maaaybe it would have done 12M domestic opening weekend instead of WW opening weekend.

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Movie wouldn't be doing much better actually. The fact is only 2,500 theaters are showing the movie and that kinda cripples the box office chances.

If the movie had come out when the fandom was at it's peak I think maaaybe it would have done 12M domestic opening weekend instead of WW opening weekend.

Maybe it is true Hasbro is not very concerned about the box office after all :huh: 

Worldwide earnings is currently almost 17 million dollars. The movie doesn't release here in Australia until November, so except more earnings around then. I'm pretty sure Hasbro can make a profit from this movie, even if the budget was 30 million. Might take a few weeks but it's not doing bad imo. And besides, the existence of the movie led to more toys, such as the seapony and Songbird Serenade toys. So at least the movie is doing good for Hasbro by helping it sell more toys!

• Brohoof 2

Movie is estimated to have dropped 55% in its second weekend, which is pretty bad for a kids film.

More and more this is just looking like a big wasted opportunity.

According to Box Office Mojo, the worldwide grosses is already at $26,113,434 (of course with estimates for this weekend; we'll soon see what it truly is...). However, the movie has also not released in major countries such as the UK, France, and Australia. I'm sure it will make a few more million from domestic as well. I'm thinking that overall this movie is definitely going to be a financial success for Hasbro. Nothing to disrupt the fandom or the brand really, but not by any means a complete failure.

Edit: Apparently it's a lot lower ;-; They really overestimated foreign grosses.

Edited by Joseph Stallion
  • Brohoof 1

I more or less would bet money on the movie making money. it still has not opened in some major markets.

And that's just talking about the boxoffice.

-

Then we have Merch, DVD's, Soundtrack sells, NetFlix,Hulu,Amazon licensing.

There is a reason that Hasbro is not that worried about box office. Its almost impossible to lose money on 'franchise' movies.

• Brohoof 1

The movie's box office returns do not look good :(. It will be pushed out of the top 10 this weekend thanks to all the new releases..which also means less theaters for the movie. I have a slimer of hope that it will make money world wide, but I could be wrong.

An article from forbes on how the MLP movie may actually be the biggest animated hit that Lionsgate has ever had. 

"On its face, a $2.9 million opening day for an animated feature isn't exactly worth a champagne pop. But My Little Pony: The Movie is set to be essentially Lionsgate's first theatrical animated hit since... I guess Alpha and Omega back in 2010. Lionsgate has been on a roll lately, but their animated acquisitions haven't exactly been putting up a challenge to Pixar or Illumination, all due respect to Rock Dog or Norm of the North. Moreover, with the possible exception of the delightful Shaun the Sheep movie (which made just $19m domestic but $106m worldwide two years ago), they haven't exactly been big hits either.

Thus, the likely over/under $10 million debut of My Little Pony is almost something to celebrate. In this case, IP really is magic. Yes, I saw the film last week with my kids, and it's... fine. My ten-year-old daughter and six-year-old son are both avid fans of the animated series and had a grand time. I, on the other hand, spent the first 15-20 minutes feeling about as confused as a guy who wandered into Saw V without having seen any of the prior Saw movies. But once the plot kicks into gear and it becomes something that may end up being quite similar to Thor: Ragnarok (just as Lionsgate's superb Battle for Terra opened just months before Avatar), it's pleasant enough.

The vocals (Tara Strong, Emily Blunt, Taye Diggs, Liev Schreiber, etc.) are fun, the songs work, and unlike the other "for the fans" offering this weekend it didn't cost $155 million. At a glance, we're looking at a $10-$11 million debut weekend, which would be the best debut ever, even adjusted for inflation, for a Lionsgate toon. I'm not expecting legs, as this one isn't going to necessarily entice newbies, but a $25m domestic total right alongside Alpha and Omega, a movie that spawned seven (!) direct-to-DVD sequels. But Hasbro didn't exactly spend a fortune, so we may just get that My Little Pony Mysteries: Friendship is Murder spin-off that I've always wanted."

• Brohoof 4

That was released during opening weekend. Forbes' follow-up articles were less rosy.

Honestly, with foreign totals currently around $27 million, it depends on the budget. Rumors indicating $5-$8 would make this a big success. $25-$30 would make this an underperformer that won't break even box office wise, but hasbro will be content because of toys, DVDs, etc. 

• Brohoof 1

Counting the countries opening today there are 9 movies yet to hit the box office, which the population for all of them combined is roughly 230 Million

I think those 9 countries alone would be enough to give the movie an extra boost of 10M Dollaeurromoneys in the box office.

I also predict that domestically it will end with 20 Million

I think the foreign market aside from the upcoming 9 will be about 15 million, and lastly, 10M from upcoming releases

That would be a final gross of 45 Million, far under my expectations, but considering the theater count, lack of marketing, and the general disdain for the franchise

I believe that about 60% of people who see the film will be fans of the series, which would be roughly 2.7 million of us, a very believable brony count.

NOW, I think that means the movie was a relative success, especially considering merch sales. But I think my original prediction of 150Million+ would have been accurate if

- The movie played in 3,500+ theaters like I thought it would

- The movie was in China

• Brohoof 1

According to Forbes. This movie will fall 53% to make 1.8 million total this weekend. Means it will fall from 9th place to 15th/16th place. That's pretty bad. At this rate it won't beat Doug's First movie...:(

with more films coming like Jigsaw, Thor 3, Suberbicon and more..this film will be out of the top 20 by next week.

Edited by Whirlwindmark

• 2 weeks later...

Its up to 43.2 Million as of today. Again even if the (Ridiculous) 4chan leak is true (which I don't think it is) the movie is going to comfortably beat the x2.5 mark on boxoffice.

It the cost that most industry insiders think is correct is right its already beat that and is pushing the x4.5 to x10 mark.

Simply put, Hasbro is most likely very happy right now.

• Brohoof 1

On 11/2/2017 at 1:52 AM, blackstarraven said:

Its up to 43.2 Million as of today. Again even if the (Ridiculous) 4chan leak is true (which I don't think it is) the movie is going to comfortably beat the x2.5 mark on boxoffice.

The 4chan leak is 25-30 million; To reach 2.5 times that it would need to hit 62-75 million. Its not going to hit 2.5 times the 4chan leak, its going to be lucky to hit 2x the 4chan leak.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2017 at 11:46 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

The 4chan leak is 25-30 million; To reach 2.5 times that it would need to hit 62-75 million. Its not going to hit 2.5 times the 4chan leak, its going to be lucky to hit 2x the 4chan leak.

I think we/I have addressed this many times before.

The 4Chan Leak is bunk.

Its a in house production, and 43.2 million would be a ridiculous budget for this movie.

If that was the cost for the entire cost of production and distribution and advertisement? Maybe. But if that's what we are talking about then its a unfair comparison to box office.

Considering that the movie will keep making money after its out of theaters with DVD's. Streaming and Merchandising.