Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did you find your country's dub of the movie?

DonMaguz

Hello everyone,

I just watched the movie in Latin American Spanish and was gladly pleased that the VAs from the movie were the same as the show (they do a pretty good job).

For the new characters I found most of the voices to be great as well.

My only issue was with Capper's choice of VA, not because of quality (the casted dude did a good job) but because the voice seemed too odd for the cat IMO.

Did you like your country's dub? Did they respect the show's dub VAs? Which new character has the best/worst voice in your language?

• Brohoof 4

I also watched the Latin American Spanish dub, and I agree that all the VAs came back and did a good job for the most part. The casting for the others wasn't bad, but I didn't see any great performance except for Carla Castañeda in a particular scene. Capper's voice was a bit too distracting for me. I only went to see that dub just because I wanted to see how they adapt the lyrics to the songs, and to contribute for ONCE to the MLP franchise. I wanted to laugh so badly when the "We've Got This Together" song ended, as the final chorus is too literal, it forgot how the rhythm in the song went, and it's just too funny to take seriously. Gosh, I'd like to relive that moment! 

I had already seen the movie in English, but this time I could catch some jokes I couldn't hear well in English, and the jokes that involved puns were well adapted to the dub. I'd say the sound mixing was a bit muffled in places, like when Applejack explains that she was born in a barn and "spent most for my formative years". I couldn't understand Rainbow Dash say "Rrraised in a barn!". Fortunately it rarely happened in the film. The studio that did the editing is so far confidendential, but I can finally understand why! XD

The songs that were adapted in the film and turned out good were "I'm the Friend You Need" (though some of the lyrics need a bit of work), "One Small Thing" and "Open Up Your Eyes". The first two songs in the movie had very simple lyrics that sometimes rhymed too much, and at other times missed the rhyme. I knew the lyrics in my dub were not gonna be too good, so I just made up MY own song translations. 

Overall, I definitely prefer the original dub, but I'm sure mine is not too awful. I'm glad I saw it on the big screen, and I would do so again with a *better* dub.

Edited by 18Gingasoldier
  • Brohoof 2

I better wait until the blu ray comes out. The dub in my homeland is simply awful since they changed the voice actors, they just translate the songs into german without any adjustments to fit the lyrics.

I rather watch it in chinese, because they let the songs in english.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the latin american dub, but if I hadn't found a theater playing it in English I wouldn't have watched it on the big screen. I haven't seen the dub but I've seen the trailer and the voices seem alright, the mane 6's have always been very good (specially Rarity's and Pinkie Pie's) and the rest seem adequate. 

• Brohoof 2

I watched the movie in my language (Ukrainian) dub after I saw it in the original – I wanted to support the movie financially and check the dub quality from the professional perspective, as I used to translate movie scripts myself.

Well, I was disappointed. The translation was not bad in general, but there were annoying errors like translating “Thank Celestia” as “Thank Heaven” or “Eeyup” as “Nom”. Names of Mane Six were preserved, and only a few names of new characters were translated (Tempest, Storm King and the hippogryphs). Dubbing was performed by the same VAs who dub the series, but the problem was there was like 4 of them. The worst part was leaving all the songs in English. It seems they just didn’t want to invest into singers as no one hoped for high profits from the movie. I feel sorry for all those little girls who had no clue what the characters were singing about.

But, even poorly dubbed, the movie served its purpose. Immediately after stepping out of the movie hall I heard a girl saying “Daddy, I want a mermaid pony doll!”

Edited by Oleks
  • Brohoof 2

Even though the German voices are very different from the English ones, I got into it quite easily. Still might see the whole thiing in English if I get the chance, though

• Brohoof 2

On 20/10/2017 at 3:43 AM, Oleks said:

I watched the movie in my language (Ukrainian) dub after I saw it in the original – I wanted to support the movie financially and check the dub quality from the professional perspective, as I used to translate movie scripts myself.

Well, I was disappointed. The translation was not bad in general, but there were annoying errors like translating “Thank Celestia” as “Thank Heaven” or “Eeyup” as “Nom”. Names of Mane Six were preserved, and only a few names of new characters were translated (Tempest, Storm King and the hippogryphs). Dubbing was performed by the same VAs who dub the series, but the problem was there was like 4 of them. The worst part was leaving all the songs in English. It seems they just didn’t want to invest into singers as no one hoped for high profits from the movie. I feel sorry for all those little girls who had no clue what the characters were singing about.

But, even poorly dubbed, the movie served its purpose. Immediately after stepping out of the movie hall I heard a girl saying “Daddy, I want a mermaid pony doll!”

I also watched it first in the original english to enjoy it better.

Leaving songs at their original languaje is always an issue with translated movies, specially when they're so important for the plot as in this movie. It's really a shame they had to do it that way, I hope they put subtitles during the songs so people could follow up with the movie.

On 21/10/2017 at 4:35 PM, Thaliel said:

Even though the German voices are very different from the English ones, I got into it quite easily. Still might see the whole thiing in English if I get the chance, though

You should definitely watch it in english when you have the chance!