Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Should I even bother finishing my fan fiction?

melody5697

I was writing a fan fiction about the events that led up to Luna turning into Nightmare Moon. The events of the story happened over the course of a few years, from the end of The Journal of the Two Sisters to briefly after Luna was banished. But The Journal of the Two Sisters isn't canon after all because of the season 7 finale. The contradictions are just too big. I wanted the fan fiction to be about my actual headcanon, but now that isn't my headcanon anymore because it contradicts the show. I really liked my ideas. But Celestia and Luna were both acting so out of character that my friend who I showed it to couldn't even read it. I was gonna possibly try to fix it, but now that it has to take place in an alternate universe, I'm just not sure it's worth it. Is it worth it? I'll attach the fan fiction. I have it all planned out in my head, but as far as what's actually written down, it stops when they return home from failing to really defeat King Sombra and they see what Discord did to Equestria while they were away.

Currently unnamed MLP fanfic.docx

Sorry about the name of the file. I intended to come up with a name AFTER finishing it.

I'd continue ahead as is, anyway, and not worry by how the season finale changed things. Treat what happened after a specific episode as non-canon to your timeline and inform the audience as such through an Author's Note. Part of the fun with fanfiction is you don't have to stay so true to the canon; you have the freedom to do whatever your imagination tells you to do. If your brain tells you to forget about S7 finale and plow ahead, go for it. ;)

Speaking from personal experience as a Digimon fan, many of us hate the Season 2 epilogue, because it makes no sense at all. For the most part, the fanfic writers completely handwave it and pretend it doesn't exist.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Dark Qiviut said:

I'd continue ahead as is, anyway, and not worry by how the season finale changed things. Treat what happened after a specific episode as non-canon to your timeline and inform the audience as such through an Author's Note. Part of the fun with fanfiction is you don't have to stay so true to the canon; you have the freedom to do whatever your imagination tells you to do. If your brain tells you to forget about S7 finale and plow ahead, go for it. ;)

Speaking from personal experience as a Digimon fan, many of us hate the Season 2 epilogue, because it makes no sense at all. For the most part, the fanfic writers completely handwave it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Did you READ my horrible fan fiction?

1 minute ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

If The Cutie Re-Mark reminded us of anything, it's that alternate timelines are quite feasible.

Therefore, simply treat yours as just that: an alternate timeline.

If my fan fiction wasn't terrible, there's no doubt that I would go ahead and finish it. But I want to know if it's even worth it. Before, it was terrible, but at least it matched my headcanon, which meant it was worth improving and finishing. Now it's terrible AND no longer matches my headcanon because my headcanon was totally disproven (except for Luna being possessed). Has anyone actually read the abomination that I attached to the first post?

I guess anyone who decided to actually read it is probably still reading it...

• 9 months later...
On 10/9/2017 at 9:58 PM, melody5697 said:

I guess anyone who decided to actually read it is probably still reading it...

I'm kind of busy at the moment, but I can tell you this, if you have THAT little faith in it, you wouldn't even be asking this question. A part of you believes in your work, and you should listen to that part.