Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Sunset truly alone in Rainbow Rocks?

KH7672

Going back and rewatching the EQG movies, I really to love the conflict of the school against Sunset to lead to her redemption, however I'm glad she wasn't really alone, right? The Rainbooms still trusted her, right? There seems to be this stigma going around saying they didn't fully trust her, but is that really true?

Yeah, the point of the movie was that was for Sunset to win everyone's trust. No one liked her, only the Rainbooms, and even then they only liked and tried to be friendly to Sunset because they wanted to do it for Twilight. But after everything Sunset did it was really difficult for them to trust her. It was Sunset's job to earn their friendship

• Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Yeah, the point of the movie was that was for Sunset to win everyone's trust. No one liked her, only the Rainbooms, and even then they only liked and tried to be friendly to Sunset because they wanted to do it for Twilight. But after everything Sunset did it was really difficult for them to trust her. It was Sunset's job to earn their friendship

What gave this impression? They seemed to consider her fine enough to keep around, sit in on band rehearsals, console her worries on her past *ehm* boo-boos, invite to sleepovers. All without a second thought.

15 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

What gave this impression? They seemed to consider her fine enough to keep around, sit in on band rehearsals, console her worries on her past *ehm* boo-boos, invite to sleepovers. All without a second thought.

They don't trust her enough to help out fight the bad guys or be part of the band itself. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

They don't trust her enough to help out fight the bad guys or be part of the band itself. 

to help out fight the bad guys or be part of the band itself. 

BE PART OF THE BAND ITSELF

That's it! That's where this stigma comes from! They never said that! The Sirens did! A.K.A. the bad guys, the manipulators, the liars. They said that to mess with Sunset's insecurities and make her believe she was alone. But she wasn't, she never was. She just believed it and never put herself out there to challenge that belief. The Sirens really are fantastic villains to have not only manipulated the characters but the audience to miss that the only thing making Sunset feel truly alone...was herself.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, KH7672 said:

That's it! That's where this stigma comes from! They never said that! The Sirens did! A.K.A. the bad guys, the manipulators, the liars. They said that to mess with Sunset's insecurities and make her believe she was alone. But she wasn't, she never was. She just believed it and never put herself out there to challenge that belief. The Sirens really are fantastic villains to have not only manipulated the characters but the audience to miss that the only thing making Sunset feel truly alone...was herself.

Exactly!

It was pretty clear that the entire school hated her, so she wouldn't get support there, and while the high 5 didn't hate her, there was still an underlying tension between them and Sunset that took until the end of the movie to clear.

They trusted her, however, it wasn't a 100% trust in that there was still some hesitation towards Sunset. After all, she had spent a great amount of time making their lives miserable and despite Princess Twilight encouraging the Rainbooms to help her out, you can see the hesitation if you pay close attention. As such, Sunset was alone in that regard and this was capitalized by the Dazzlings.

• Brohoof 1

I think it was pretty clear the school was at a "OK with" Level.

In That they where OK with her being around.

But they where all clearly giving her the cold shoulder. And yes, that is a indication that some one does not like you. but they where at the very least civil with her.

Now past that, if some one contests they didn't pick up on the cold shoulder treatment. Or the very clear and powerful "Take a hike" Vibe they where all giving off.

That's a matter of your interpretation. That what pretty much every one I know got. (Including the target audience)

And its also the clearly state narrative of the story.

(edited)
42 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

They trusted her, however, it wasn't a 100% trust in that there was still some hesitation towards Sunset. After all, she had spent a great amount of time making their lives miserable and despite Princess Twilight encouraging the Rainbooms to help her out, you can see the hesitation if you pay close attention. As such, Sunset was alone in that regard and this was capitalized by the Dazzlings.

Are you referring to the end of the first movie or Rainbow Rocks. The first movie, certainly it's to be expected, but after that time lapse, I did not see any hesitation from the Rainbooms in Rainbow Rocks (besides Twilight reluctant to grab for her hand) one time? They feel just as bad for her. They even catch themselves when possibly speaking bad about her.

Edited by KH7672

I wonder if Snips and Snails endured the same treatment?  Then again they have each other.  I don't think she was alone in that no one would talk to her or anything, but compared to her previous state of being popular enough to rule the school through intimidation and bullying it must have felt like she was alone.  Where once she would have walked down the hallway and people either got out of her way or would try to insinuate themselves with her now she would be either ignored or get mean looks.  Even Snips and Snails would have distanced themselves from her, as former minions they wouldn't have been much but at least they would have been something.  I've never held the girls decision not to invite her into the band against them.  I think they were still cold to her when they started to form the band.

On 10-10-2017 at 5:12 AM, KH7672 said:

If you look at it that way, yeah... makes sense. I'm sure the rainbooms didn't try to befriend her because Twilight said so, but on the otherside, she definitly stood out. Always watching on the side lines and such. If they truly trusted her they would have reconized this and pulled her out of it. :twi:

1 hour ago, Hierok said:

If you look at it that way, yeah... makes sense. I'm sure the rainbooms didn't try to befriend her because Twilight said so, but on the otherside, she definitly stood out. Always watching on the side lines and such. If they truly trusted her they would have reconized this and pulled her out of it. :twi:

You mean like how they recognized their own internal band struggles. You can't really rationalize their thought process when the whole point is they weren't thinking rationally with the Sirens causing the rift. Sunset comfortably distanced herself from the band from the beginning. They let her sit in on band practices, sit at their lunch table, invited to slumber parties. They did everything they could to make her feel comfortable, but it really was Sunset herself who was not accepting herself as part of the group dynamic.

35 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

You mean like how they recognized their own internal band struggles. You can't really rationalize their thought process when the whole point is they weren't thinking rationally with the Sirens causing the rift. Sunset comfortably distanced herself from the band from the beginning. They let her sit in on band practices, sit at their lunch table, invited to slumber parties. They did everything they could to make her feel comfortable, but it really was Sunset herself who was not accepting herself as part of the group dynamic.

Okay, but then again. Even before the sirens came she wasn't really a part of the group dynamic. Yes, she was allowed to welcome the band practices but they didn't encourage her to play with them. I take this in personnal level. If someone always watched at the side line, I would have kind of ordered him/her to play along

2 hours ago, Hierok said:

Okay, but then again. Even before the sirens came she wasn't really a part of the group dynamic. Yes, she was allowed to welcome the band practices but they didn't encourage her to play with them. I take this in personnal level. If someone always watched at the side line, I would have kind of ordered him/her to play along

Unfortunately this is when things can't be proven because they could have easily happened off-screen. All it would have taken was one of them to ask and she politely declines because SHE is not confident with their dynamic.  Sunset seemed to be the one who believed she had nothing to bring to their group (hence trying to branch off and interact with other school members to a rocky reception).

Like I said this dynamic is partly speculation, however I do have a possible proof of this being Sunset's mindset. At the end when Twilight calls out that they need her to sing with them, she is reluctant at first. Now a person who felt they weren't being trusted by her group would have been overjoyed that they were now being relied upon. That is not how Sunset acts, she was still standing to the side and reluctant to help because she still didn't feel there was much she could bring. That is what she overcomes in the end. She feels confident in herself in this group.

That is what I have seen, but if you can pinpoint a specific example the Rainbooms exhibited little trust in Sunset I'm open to hear it. Otherwise I just can't see it being a problem with them.

2 hours ago, Hierok said:

Agreed, DWK put it nicely in the Totally Legit Recap of Rainbow Rocks.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Adderbane said:

Agreed, DWK put it nicely in the Totally Legit Recap of Rainbow Rocks.

DWK is besides very funny also smart and deep. He truly is a great guy. :D

On 10/9/2017 at 8:36 PM, KH7672 said:

All of the references to her past started to feel tactless at some point. I get the feeling they hadn't completely moved past seeing Sunset as "the bully," even though they knew better. 

7 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

All of the references to her past started to feel tactless at some point. I get the feeling they hadn't completely moved past seeing Sunset as "the bully," even though they knew better. 

You mean the bring up the past only for the "no offense line." Considering they still did it in later movies, even to Twilight I can't see it as anything more than a running gag, written for that purpose and nothing else. Also any other time they talked about her past was after SHE brought it up.

Sunset (first lines of the scene): I'm never going to live that down

Fluttershy: You were pretty bad at the fall formal (trying to explain the students mindset in vague wording)

Sunset: A demon. I turned into a raging she-demon. (She's the one who uses the harsh descriptions on herself)

Pinkie: And tried to turn everyone here into teenage zombies for your personal army (One it's Pinkie, and two it's the audience's first exposition on the events, you know MLP, got to have that exposition)

This followed immediately by Rarity consoling her and everyone else that they are there for her. Then Applejack immediately says talks about how the whole experience brought them closer together (I see it as like the ponies from Starlight's Village brought closer as friends through this experience, nothing to hold onto when the result turned out for the better)

Am I saying the girls are thinking Sunset's ends justified her means, no but they had their time of mistrust (the end of EQG 1) and learned to get over it because they truly feel closer and have a new friend too who they can watch to make sure she won't betray them. And soon even that feeling of the discount parole officers will vanish as well. Like I said I just don't see or hear from any of these characters there is any level of mistrust in Sunset from their facial expressions to the inflections to their simple actions of truly listening to her problems.  I can't see them thinking any less of her unless she feels less of herself and stays out of it.

• 2 weeks later...