Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ginger Ale

How did you feel when Derpy sacrificed herself to save Twilight from turning into a statue? All things that happened was unexpected for me. First Princess Cadance, then Princess Celestia Princess and Luna and finally Twilig-nope Derpy with her horn hat. She sure fooled Grubber though.

I felt both honored and sad when Derpy was the one that turned into a statue. At the same time, I was also in quite a shock and had chills all over my body when that quick chaos happened. I knew if Discord was here (not the balloon version that Pinkie Pie made), he would snap all the villains but what Derpy did, was amazing. Finally, MLP movie gave a very special role to Derpy, although she is not from mane 6.

I, myself do not love Derpy the most but I was too emotional on that part. Also, I was sad when we only see cutie mark crusaders only in one scene with no dialogue. Fluttershy's dialogues were so few too and she was my favorite out of mane six.

Afterall, I loved the movie, it was more than I expected and it was sure surprising and amazing.

So, how did you feel when Derpy sacrificed herself?

0b3e19e1e794e32e41faa66317b47f9e.png

Edited by Ginger Ale
  • Brohoof 8

It happened so fast I thought it was Rainbow Dash instead of Derpy. Then I saw Rainbow hadn't been turned into a statue, and realised it was actually Derpy. I thought it was cool that they gave Derpy a minor part in that scene. To be honest, I'm happy whenever Derpy appears.

• Brohoof 14

14 minutes ago, strangepigeon said:

It happened so fast I thought it was Rainbow Dash instead of Derpy. Then I saw Rainbow hadn't been turned into a statue, and realised it was actually Derpy. I thought it was cool that they gave Derpy a minor part in that scene. To be honest, I'm happy whenever Derpy appears.

I  thought the same - i didn't get that it was her until coming on the forums. I also thought maybe Rainbow Dash was so fast that it left a stone outline of herself. ..it's cool realizing it  was Muffins after the fact

• Brohoof 5

2 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

I  thought the same - i didn't get that it was her until coming on the forums. I also thought maybe Rainbow Dash was so fast that it left a stone outline of herself. ..it's cool realizing it  was Muffins after the fact

I also thought that Rainbow might have been so fast it left an outline, but first I was really confused until I noticed the eyes on the stone statue... Then I knew it was Muffins.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Nothing because Derpy never saved Twilight, RD did, Derpy was just caught in the crossfire 

I know it can be a coincidence while Derpy running there and we see a Rainbow light grabbing but "Twilight!" was shouted during that act. And I think it sounded more like Derpy than Rainbow Dash. It is not clear so, that is how I saw :D

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to How did you feel with Derpy's role?

Considering none of the Mane 6's story from that point (and the saving of Equestria) would have even happened if it were not for Derpy, I'd say she got a great role, and in her own uniquely perfect way! Rock on, Derpy! :muffins:

• Brohoof 3

That was genuinely one of my favorite scenes in the movie. Derpy's always been a caring pony, but I didn't think she'd have it in her to do something like THIS! That makes me wonder if they plan on making her a close friend to the Mane Six in the show? If there's any reason for them to acknowledge her for once, saving Twilight, and subsequently Equestria itself, is definitely it.

I just wish VInyl could get something special too, not just play Songbird's shitty music.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

That scene was a little confusing, I think it was a mistake to have Derpy make an appearance in a relevant moment to the plot, it just made it seem like she saved Twilight.

• Brohoof 3

Wouldn't be the first time for her rushing towards danger. Remember her being among the first to attempt a head-on attack on Tirek :dash:? The voice is a bit confusing though, as it sounded a bit more like Dashie :huh:, but I'm sure Derpy shoved Twi deliberately, as when Tempest kicked it towards Twi, you can see Derpy running towards her from a good distance away

• Brohoof 1

On 10/10/2017 at 6:00 AM, Ginger Ale said:

I know it can be a coincidence while Derpy running there and we see a Rainbow light grabbing but "Twilight!" was shouted during that act. And I think it sounded more like Derpy than Rainbow Dash. It is not clear so, that is how I saw :D

no, it was definitely RD. Derpy was just caught in the crossfire.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:35 AM, cmarston1 said:

I thought the whole point of that scene was that it was Rainbow's quick thinking that saved Twilight, and that Derpy just got hit in the crossfire.

It is. I don't know why everyone thinks it was Derpy that yelled Twilight and "sacrificed herself".... Derpy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On 10/10/2017 at 4:05 AM, Kiryu-Chan said:

Nothing because Derpy never saved Twilight, RD did, Derpy was just caught in the crossfire 

THIS SO MUCH.

This is what really happened guys, if you get the chance to watch the film again, pay attention here and it will be clear this is what happened.....

• Brohoof 7

I was quite proud at this moment actually! So proud that she jumped in the way to save Twilight (even though it was probably the glancing blow off Rainbow Dash flying REALLY fast...)

Although, I have seen the movie twice and in both versions, the actual line which precedes the "Freezing" was actually different! The first time, there was a voice (NOT Rainbow Dash) which shouted "Princess!" and then you saw the frozen Muffins. In the second viewing, it was "Twilight!" that was shouted, and it sounded like Rainbow Dash. Although you could still see that it was Muffins being frozen in the orb. If it was Muffins, one would assume it was her that actually shouted "Princess" rather than "Twilight."

I don't know if there's different edits going about, but I swear they were different! Can anyone else confirm this? 

• Brohoof 1

I saw the movie twice and it shows Derpy running toward Twilight.  It looked like she purposely tried to save her.  I do think it was Rainbow Dash that yelled and she might have gotten Twilight out of the way just in time for Derpy to take the hit instead.  At the end of the movie you do see Derpy come back from stone so it definitely is not Dash’s outline.

I love that the movie did use her as a heroic figure. :)

It really was confusing, however.  I’ll watch more closely when I watch this weekend.  I am also still confused why Twilight never used her teleport powers or how the princesses were defeated so easily.  Oh well.  I still really enjoyed the movie despite the quibbles.

• Brohoof 1

While I enjoyed the moment, I actually thought it may have been a missed opportunity to explain (in universe) Starlight Glimmer not having a role. Swap Derpy with Glimmer and it deals with that (in universe) absence in a better way. 

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

How did I? Simple answer, the way I often relate to news of this magnitude: 

foamy-avatar-o.gif 

See, I'm no rabid fan of Ditzy-Doo "Muffins" "Derpy" Hooves. She's background pony foremost to me with little substance. Be that as it may... I fail to understand why no one else is as explosively enthusiastic about this as I am. For, indeed, it is a simple proclamation I must make...

Derpy took the bullet for Equestria!

She liiiives for our siiiiiins!!!

This was not done as an intentional slight to harm muffinmare. Nor was this excess of exposure for her fanbase. (okey, maybe a little bit.) Nor can it be argued that it wasn't her.

I have acute hearing. Do trust me on this. Sound is important to me. I was in glasses for most of my life, senses redistribute to compensate. I could tell who was pulling up to my house by the way the motors ran through two to three walls, occasionally upstairs. Tone of voice has been an obsessive point of stress & joy in my life. I know Rainbow Dash's little tomboy squeak of a voice from anywhere and I can tell that apart from Muffin's goofy, all-over-the-place-because-they-keep-changing-to-appease-the-parents voice. True, could be an voice actress pulling double duty, but I know of the timbre & octaves that can be heard in an impression that you can't hide. I can hear facial expressions in voices sometimes! That was not Rainbow Dash, as much as that would also be totally cool to happen. Dash got knocked off the cliff with everypony else. Why have that character make a save for what ultimately becomes the journey and backbone for the movie? Especially later on in the movie when she's shown being reckless enough to blow cover.

That is ground I'll fight for. That was Derpy that noticed first, that saw the trouble first and leapt into action without a moments hesitation.

That's the character that we, the fandom, have slowly instilled into her. She's an oddball, she thinks differently, or rather, not all the time enough to use common sense. She's the simple bystander that, in the long run, means nothing.

This goes far beyond just character placement. Beyond what character spotlights we place. This was Good Writing.

Derpy is a non-entity. A puppet for the feelings of the fandom, of the group we become when we coalesce from shared experiences, from parents getting up in arms about something, fighting about it then getting fought right back. 

Derpy is a symbol for the Fandom taking the bullet. Of every lonely soul out there that has cried out at some overdramatic moment for the imaginary characters they've grown emotionally attached to, however tenuous that grip is. That emotion of not wanting something we view as innocent, as a proxy of our own emotions, get hurt. Even if we know very well that trauma is fabricated.

Derpy is a symbol of those of us who work odd jobs, take care of our kids, who are just fine living our day to day lives without recognition. Those of us who won't ever get our fifteen minutes of fame because we simply don't bother too look for it.

That's who we've painted her to be. The one to not think first. To make the simple decisions. She just saw a friend in danger, and wanted to help any way she could. She didn't think of danger, of what risks to be had, of the journey or movie to unravel from this scuffle. Someone simple to just step up and say "No, I don't want that to happen." This is the equivalent to those rare news stories you hear of some weary veteran taking the bus, some young punk decides to hold the bus up, and the old man just gets fed up and just coldcocks him right out.

This is a lesson.

It shows that sometimes, all it takes to be a hero is being in the right place, at the right time, and simply caring enough. That you don't have to be the protagonist with some long story of training, of a history of dramatic stories that have happened to you or a life filled with importance and value. 

No... sometimes just being you can save the world...

• Brohoof 3