Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

More of Twilight Sparkle crying

twilightsparkle3562

agree that we need to see more of the emotional side of Twilight in the near future.  Her breaking down and crying at missing the Northern Stars was one of the highlights of "Once Upon a Zeppelin" for me.  Yes, I did feel bad for her and I don't mean to sound evil, but I feel that it's very important to get across out of her character.  We see it frequently with Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity, so why not Twilight? 

To be honest, there have been times where we should have seen Twilight break down and cry and yet, she doesn't.  Sure, she shows it in a few episodes, but they are nothing on the level of her breaking down and crying in this episode

• Brohoof 2

I am not saying I want to see it more, but I can't deny how effective it was. I truly felt sorry for her after missing the stars and when a show can make me feel that bad for a character, I can only give that praise. Problem is, it made me sad too. XD 

• Brohoof 6

I felt for Twilight in that moment because I've been in that position before, where I've attended some event as a staff or lead organizer and was promised to be able to do literally just one thing, attend just one panel/event/etc., only to get screwed out of it because of a scheduling conflict or something.  Not saying I like seeing these characters be miserable and sad, but using moments like that has an undeniable emotional impact on the episode.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's important to show our heros having emotional moments from time to time. But they really shouldn't overdo it in that regard and make ponies cry every episode.

• Brohoof 6

I am a huge sucker for emotional scenes myself. So seeing Twilight cry more in mlp would make me more than happy.

However not just crying in particulair other emotional scenes like in Brotherhooves Social would be greatly appreciated as well.

Just give me my drama. :D

Fluttershy and Rarity cry all the time. So when you see it, you just go like "oh they are crying again". While Twilight hardly ever cries. So when she does cry, you know it is for a good reason, which makes it much more powerful.

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I am not saying I want to see it more, but I can't deny how effective it was. I truly felt sorry for her after missing the stars and when a show can make me feel that bad for a character, I can only give that praise. Problem is, it made me sad too. XD 

I feel the same way about this scene, as well as the scene in "A Canterlot Wedding: Part 1" where Twilight Sparkle cries after

everypony leaves her all alone after she ruins the wedding rehearsal.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

I have to say a big reason that it has the ability to make us feel for her is because of how good Tara Strong's acting is. You can really feel the pain in her crying. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, RDash11 said:

She needs to start showing her emotions more often, we need less vanilla princess pony.

She's not the only one. There are a ton of characters who don't talk about their feelings much. Discord only opens up to Fluttershy. Spike has been keeping to himself alot lately with his emotions. And I could be wrong, but AJ doesn't show her emotions that much other than aggression. We know Ember has a hard time with feelings as well! There are lots of characters on this show who don't open up much!

Let's see now. To give a count...

1. Winter Wrap-Up

2. A Canterlot Wedding Part 1

3. The Crystal Empire Part 2

4. Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 2

5. Equestria Girls Friendship Games

6. My Little Pony: The Movie

7. Once Upon A Zeppelin

The significant breakdowns have been A Canterlot Wedding Part 1, Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 2, MLP The Movie and Once Upon A Zeppelin.

Only thing we're missing is a big crying scene that lasts a while longer, like Rainbow Dash's scene in Tanks for the Memories. 

Applejack hasn't cried almost at all...so she could use more...

• Brohoof 1

Whenever one of the characters cries during an episode, it makes me feel very uncomfortable to the point where my own heart weeps. I personally don't like seeing anyone sad because it compels me to want to ensure that they are very happy.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest... I think we get plenty of Emotion from Twilight. Its just mostly awkward emotion.
Which is fine, not everyone is a crying person. (Everyone cries, but not every one's go to is crying)

Twilight is for the most part not a crying Pony. (With one spoiler worth notice)

And if she did it more often I feel like it would cheapen the moments where we DO see real powerful emotion from her.

7 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

I think it's important to show our heros having emotional moments from time to time. But they really shouldn't overdo it in that regard and make ponies cry every episode.

I'm not saying every episode, but at least once or twice a season.

7 hours ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

Let's see now. To give a count...

1. Winter Wrap-Up

2. A Canterlot Wedding Part 1

3. The Crystal Empire Part 2

4. Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 2

5. Equestria Girls Friendship Games

6. My Little Pony: The Movie

7. Once Upon A Zeppelin

The significant breakdowns have been A Canterlot Wedding Part 1, Princess Twilight Sparkle Part 2, MLP The Movie and Once Upon A Zeppelin.

Only thing we're missing is a big crying scene that lasts a while longer, like Rainbow Dash's scene in Tanks for the Memories. 

Applejack hasn't cried almost at all...so she could use more...

That's what I am talking about.  Twilight needs to have the same kind of crying scene that Rainbow Dash had in "Tanks for the Memories."

9 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

Yeah you'd love to see Twilight being miserable, wouldncha? WOULDNCHA?! ;)

I would never want to see her miserable in any way, but I would like to see more moments like this to increase her character.  Twilight's not flawless and she is a work in progress.

9 hours ago, Babyyoshi309 said:

Fluttershy and Rarity cry all the time. So when you see it, you just go like "oh they are crying again". While Twilight hardly ever cries. So when she does cry, you know it is for a good reason, which makes it much more powerful.

Which does need to happen.  There needs to be a good reason for Twilight to cry and missing the Northern Stars was one reason along with a few others in past episodes as well as the movie.  I'm just saying that she needs to have like a REALLY good crying scene like Rainbow Dash's in season 5.  

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, twilightsparkle3562 said:

I would never want to see her miserable in any way, but I would like to see more moments like this to increase her character.  Twilight's not flawless and she is a work in progress.

It was a joke, c'mon! :P

Seeing the kind of crying Twilight did in "Zeppelin" is not something I'm sure I'd like to see a lot of. That kind of pain is just bit too difficult for me to watch as a regular occurrence, among any of the characters and not just Twilight.

@Twilight Kyle bringing up "AF" is a good example of the kind of crying I like to see. Moondancer's tears of joy was very effective (and made audiences like me feel happy instead of sad), and Twilight didn't need to show tears for how devastated she felt after realizing she messed up since the voice acting portrayed her sadness perfectly.

Another example is Spike - I felt more emotion when he sadly walked away after Twilight told him she lit the torch for him in "Equestria Games" than when he teared up after betraying Thorax in "TTAaC". (Though the latter was also admittedly fairly effective.)

• Brohoof 1

The adult characters on this show cry a whole lot more than the child characters! I mean how many times did the Mane Six and Starlight cry compared to Spike and the CMCs? The latter two really don't cry all that much!

On 10/12/2017 at 0:32 PM, MegaSean45 said:

The adult characters on this show cry a whole lot more than the child characters! I mean how many times did the Mane Six and Starlight cry compared to Spike and the CMCs? The latter two really don't cry all that much!

Well, the CMCs had cried before:

1. Sweetie Belle:

.One Bad Apple

.For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

2. Scootaloo:

.Sleepless in Ponyville

.Flight to the Finish

.Parental Glidance.

3. Apple Bloom:

I'm not really sure if we have seen her cry in anything.

Speaking of which, I have a really good idea for Season 8 if they decide to do Twilight's "big cry":

A possible episode I would like to see happen:

"Princess Problems": Twilight, Celestia, Luna and Cadence gather with Equestria's leaders for Equestria's Royal Summit. But, one Equestrian leader makes an enemy in the Princesses when he vows to run his country his way. When Twilight works hard to get him to see sense, her valiant efforts may all be for nothing.

Yes, beside the point, I am talking about an episode starring ALL 4 Alicorn Princesses as the main characters. We've seen it with Celestia and Luna in "A Royal Problem," and Twilight and Cadence in "Once Upon a Zeppelin." What's more, I think Twilight can have a MUCH bigger crying scene than in the movie or in "Once Upon a Zeppelin." Since we didn't see her comforted in "Zeppelin," it would have to be all three of her fellow princesses to do so. Plus, give them all character development while taking in the lessons they learned this season, maybe even all three of them sing to Twilight to try and comfort her.

On 10/12/2017 at 0:29 PM, Truffles said:

Seeing the kind of crying Twilight did in "Zeppelin" is not something I'm sure I'd like to see a lot of. That kind of pain is just bit too difficult for me to watch as a regular occurrence, among any of the characters and not just Twilight.

This reminds me of a big reason why I didn't like the episode "What About Discord?", namely, that it might have been too effective in putting the audience in Twilight's place. I felt very similarly to Twilight as her friends, even if they didn't realize it, kept rubbing her face in the fact that she didn't get their inside jokes and stories because she missed out, she "had to be there" to get it but she wasn't, she was off doing her inconsequential book-sort-cation rather than hanging out with her friends. (Although, as I discussed in my original post on the episode, I can't imagine how the sequence of events leading to her not being asked out actually occurred, and I'm not sure that Twilight is really much at fault for it.) I ultimately don't want to watch this show just to feel unproductive frustration and bitter disappointment, and that's what I felt as I watched that episode. So I think I understand why watching characters with whom we strongly sympathize go through painful things, to the point of freely-flowing tears, isn't desirable on a regular basis.

An episode like "The Perfect Pear", though, seems to me to pull on the viewers' heartstrings in a good way. There are definitely sad and tragic elements to the story of Bright Mac and Pear Butter and their families: Pear Butter and Bright Mac may likely have died without ever talking to the Pear family again; on the flip side, Grand Pear may never have talked to his own daughter or son-in-law again before they died, and probably had never gotten to know his grandkids from them; the Apple siblings seem to have grown up never having known an entire side of their family, nor knowing the story of their parents; etc. But those elements are part of a larger story which affirms how Bright Mac and Pear Butter cared for each other and were great people, and how they seem to have made a happy life for their immediate family despite the tragic events. And in the present, there's now hope that the Apple siblings have finally learned (and can continue to learn about) their parents' story and can be inspired to follow in their footsteps, and they can make up at least some of the lost time with Grand Pear now that he's made up with the Apple family. So the sad and tragic elements are interspersed with sweet and hopeful elements, and the episode ends with the latter as a final impression.

But episodes with an emotional impact like that can be hard to pull off correctly, and the effect would likely be blunted if attempted too frequently, so episodes aiming for that level of impact are probably best made sparingly.

• Brohoof 1