Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Something shocking about Scootaloo

heavens-champion

1 minute ago, non-existent said:

Not with this company it isn't. Again been waiting since 2014 for someone to officially state how canon is defined. 

That's what I mean; as long as Hasbro doesn't say "everything happening in books and comics are in the canon", I don't think they should be considered to be part of it. Don't get me wrong, in some cases, I appreciate comics even more than the show, but canon is the same everywhere: unless if it fits in the original story AND it is said officially to be part of it, it shouldn't be considered as such.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, I.T said:

That's what I mean; as long as Hasbro doesn't say "everything happening in books and comics are in the canon", I don't think they should be considered to be part of it. Don't get me wrong, in some cases, I appreciate comics even more than the show, but canon is the same everywhere: unless if it fits in the original story AND it is said officially to be part of it, it shouldn't be considered as such.

Like I said it's up to the individual. Same same.

5 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

I know this isn't Hasbro's doing and is at best the writer's being sneaky, I don't really think it's cowardly on the writer's part as if they want to do it but Hasbro won't let them, I think it's more than fine to be a little sneaky. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can stop being sneaky and Hasbro really let's them do it but I'm not really expecting it because angry parents don't buy toys.

As for it being a political statement or not...It shouldn't be and doesn't have to be, some people are going to take it as one no matter what because people are that way, but that's more on them. A couple is just a couple.

Yes, but until the time comes that animation starts casually including a gay couple as no big deal without hiding it, I'll be over here yawning. This is barely one step removed from most fan ships. Much ado about nothing. 

55 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

Hasbro's stance is apparently "It's all canon", so that's not really true. It usually doesn't affect the show though, as you shouldn't have to buy supplementary material to understand the show, and sometimes the show retcons stuff later anyway. Even if you view it as non-canon though, the writer's sometimes take things from the books and comics for show use anyway, so this could end up one of them.

My point was that it wasn't about politics though, or rather that it shouldn't be, same way a straight couple like Shining and Cadance or the Cakes isn't about politics.

I'm not going to be that guy and be like "Sources Please"

But I'll be honest. I don't think this is the case. Hasbro has simply never addressed the ideal of Cannon. They most likely don't care.

But the Comics / Books have made it very very clear that there is ether no cannon. Or that they comics/books are not cannon.

Because just like with star wars "Cannon until the offical story contradicts it." Means non-canon....

-Using it as a example, The Expanded Universe was never cannon..... ever. Lucas just said that people could tell what ever story they wanted and he would not nix it. And would just ignor the story while making the cannon story.

This is clearly how Hasbro is doing it.

-Great example. (Spoiler if you have not seen the end of Season 7)

The shows version of Starswirl (That is to say the cannon version) is strait out against the comic version.

The Comic (Which came first) Actually makes him out to be more like pinkiepie. And not what we get... (Which is basically.. well a jerk whos hugely bigoted in the way he does things) - Bigoted in the true sense of the word. Not willing to change his view even when it would only make sense to.

The comics still tell some really good stories. The Sombra Stuff and Mirror stuff is great.

but its not cannon. It will only be Cannon if they decide to use it in the show.

-

And the way the show is being written now, its actually really hard to actually have hard cannon at all.

Because a lot of the time the writers are not super familiar with the material when they are hired to do a few episodes.

Edited by blackstarraven

33 minutes ago, blackstarraven said:

But I'll be honest. I don't think this is the case. Hasbro has simply never addressed the ideal of Cannon. They most likely don't care.

But the Comics / Books have made it very very clear that there is ether no cannon. Or that they comics/books are not cannon.

Because just like with star wars "Cannon until the offical story contradicts it." Means non-canon....

-Using it as a example, The Expanded Universe was never cannon..... ever. Lucas just said that people could tell what ever story they wanted and he would not nix it. And would just ignor the story while making the cannon story.

This is clearly how Hasbro is doing it..

The comics still tell some really good stories. The Sombra Stuff and Mirror stuff is great.

but its not cannon. It will only be Cannon if they decide to use it in the show.

-

And the way the show is being written now, its actually really hard to actually have hard cannon at all.

Because a lot of the time the writers are not super familiar with the material when they are hired to do a few episodes.

I'd give you the source anyway, but I can't find it now, which bothers me a bit.

Anyway, you might want to spoiler tag some of that season 7 finale stuff, though I'm well aware of the contradictions by now. That certainly throws a bit of wrench into things. The show writer's are clearly fine with bringing things from the comics into the show, and even tying the two together, but they also don't seem to be bothered by contradicting them at times too.

Edited by BasementSparkle
  • Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

I'd give you the source anyway, but I can't find it now, which bothers me a bit.

Anyway, you might want to spoiler tag some of that season 7 finale stuff, though I'm well aware of the contradictions by now. That certainly throws a bit of wrench into things. The show writer's are clearly fine with bringing things from the comics into the show, and even tying the two together, but they also don't seem to be bothered by contradicting them at times too.

Indeed. And that's the point. The comics and books are not cannon. The show is. Which is fine it lets them use the comics as a sounding board. And even if you do find a writer who states that the comics are canon the thing is that the writers are not really in charge. 

The production of of the show right now is hard on even in show continuity. Asking writers to know the books and comics is hard when there not even always required to know the show that well. 

6 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Now this is very interesting. There are debates in the comments of course on whether or not they really are a couple based on this, but I think it adds up pretty well. Only one of the aunt's is described as a direct relation to Scoot's family, one of them kisses the other on the forehead and follows that up by calling her 'dear'. That to me seems pretty obvious. Interesting that it takes place in a book, but apparently the books themselves are canon. 

I can only hope that one day we see this exact thing in the show itself. Not because of 'representation', but for acceptance. To show that having an LGBT couple in a show isn't some horrible, child-corrupting crime. Other shows have done it already, so hopefully this show can do the same before it ends.

Well, Nicole co wrote that with haber, and it was just announced she'll be exec producer this upcoming season. Hope we see more of Scootie's family and Lilymoon

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, blackstarraven said:

This is clearly how Hasbro is doing it.

-Great example. (Spoiler if you have not seen the end of Season 7)

The shows version of Starswirl (That is to say the cannon version) is strait out against the comic version.

The Comic (Which came first) Actually makes him out to be more like pinkiepie. And not what we get... (Which is basically.. well a jerk whos hugely bigoted in the way he does things) - Bigoted in the true sense of the word. Not willing to change his view even when it would only make sense to.

-

You still haven't spoiler tagged your post. Casually bringing up information from an episode that's not even released is absolutely unacceptable. 

On 10/11/2017 at 5:18 PM, blackstarraven said:

This is the job of the Editor. When there is an in show continuity gaff (and there has been) ... it falls on the feet of the editor. 

Since this was written by Vogel and Dubuc, it is acceptable to interpret this as official, as well to expect some form of this to be present in the show as well in the upcoming season. In fact, with Dubuc in charge, count on it. 

"I have followed her career with great interest."

• Brohoof 1

Whether the content within this book is canon or not, I'm happy that Scootaloo's family has finally been revealed after seven years.

Okay, as someone who considers himself to be bisexual, i want to give my own take on this whole matter of representing LGBT in the media, or more importantly MLP.

i have nothing against the fact if Scoots aunts would be in the show and would be living together, that in my opinion wouldn't make it political. They could maybe do it as tounge and cheek like they do with Bonbon and Lyra in Slice-of-Life which i really liked. It would get political if they go all out with it and constantly point it out, just to show how tolerant and progressive they are.

I am friends with gays and Lesbians and the last thing they want is that people want to feel sorry for them, because they just want to live their life like everybody else, because if you feel sorry for gays, lesbians or bi's like me, that would also be kinda racist.

But to be honest, Hasbro won't allow this. They Veto'd AKR's decision to make Tank die off and changed it into hibernation. Extreme conservative parents (and there are several of them in the states and even here in europe) will get angry and won't buy the toys and Hasbro knows that and i can understand that.

It's just business, don't take it personal.

4 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

But to be honest, Hasbro won't allow this.

You might want to look up Mike Vogel's credentials before making that a definitive statement, and then reconcile that he still contributes. 

Sometimes things are more complex than at first glance. 

• Brohoof 2

Probably the only time I have been to this section, but I'm glad they can be able to be open to that. Unfortunately that wouldn't be able to be in the show. However it does seem she has parents, so that does mean a lot.

I mean, this wouldn't be the first time Hasbro had a same-sex relationship in one of their franchises. I remember not to long ago they made a gay Transformers couple with Chromedome and Rewind(and they were pushed pretty hard to boot) which was very well received by fans. And while Transformers was able to get away with it easier, with it both being kept to the comics, and with said comics being aimed at an older demographic, it shows Hasbro isn't afraid to pull these moves

Edited by Kiryu-Chan

14 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

I mean, this wouldn't be the first time Hasbro had a same-sex relationship in one of their franchises. I remember not to long ago they made a gay Transformers couple with Chromedome and Rewind(and they were pushed pretty hard to boot) which was very well received by fans. And while Transformers was able to get away with it easier, with it both being kept to the comics, and with said comics being aimed at an older demographic, it shows Hasbro isn't afraid to pull these moves

To be honest I feel that might be a Steven Universe situation where as the alien species technically don't have genders the staff is allowed to get away with LGBT themes.

But at least it does show that Hasbro is at least willing to put those themes in their products in the first place.

On 2017-10-12 at 6:47 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

Whether the content within this book is canon or not, I'm happy that Scootaloo's family has finally been revealed after seven years.

It doesn’t matter, her parents are still dead, get over with it.

10 minutes ago, MAIKUN said:

It doesn’t matter, her parents are still dead, get over with it.

According to the book, her parents are not dead, and if the show decides to follow up with all the book has, then they will not be dead in the show either.