Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do Any Of You Invest?

Denim&Venöm

Have any of you invested your money into ventures for the future? Like mutual funds, 401Ks and IRAs, Roth & Silver IRA's, precious metals, exchange traded funds, real estate, growing industries, etc. 

Do you trade regularly on the stock market or buy something outright and wait for the right moment over the long term?  Do you mainly buy to make money or to act as a hedge against inflation? 

In short, what are you doing with your money, other than spending or saving it in a bank? 

• Brohoof 1

Sadly no. I just don't have the income to do such a thing, but I wish I did. I also don't know a whole lot about investing and the ins and outs of it, but my brother has told me things about the subject and it sounds like it can create such a massive safety net. Would make less scared about the future.

I'm a buy and hold forever type of guy. I have some individual stocks (C, F, and GIS to name a few), and I'm a big Disney shareholder, having a regular monthly investment for several years now (which dividends reinvest). I have small IRA which is funded in index funds and some Gold, which I wish I started long ago. Besides that, I have money in regular savings account and I own my home outright. I'd love to eventually make enough to purchase a rental property one day.

As far as active trading? Nah.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Most of my money is going into one of two places: a couple of mutual funds and a tax free savings account. I have a few mutual funds managed by my bank which have been steadily growing over the years, as well as a few managed by a partner of my employer. That second one is much more heavily managed, slowly decreasing in risk as you reach retirement age. It's doing fairly well and my employer is matching up to $2000 per year for saving $4000. 

The TFSA is an account I never touch and just keep putting as much in as I can every pay week. It's not that there are any penalties for withdrawing from it, it just makes more sense to use the standard chequing account instead of draining the tax free one. 

• 1 month later...

I don't know what else I can do with $$ beside wasting it or saving it.... But I'm just saving up to pay off the college loans. So many zeros.

I have 401K being taken every paycheck along with retirement. I am considering getting into buying actual stocks in the next year after I get this promotion.

1 hour ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Investing and playing the stock market seems too much like gambling to me, and I’d far prefer taking my money to Vegas. At least there I’ll enjoy myself while losing it.

There are plenty of options that are low to no risk, such as 401K and bonds, etc.

I do invest, and play the stock market. In fact its kinda how i got out of homelessness. Right now I own a stock in an online company. Though, I was told I could loose it all in an instance. Not sure if thats true or not.

I haven't invested yet, though I've thought of doing so and plan to at some point in the future. If I did invest, it would be in small amounts and basically just out of curiosity, as I unfortunately don't have the money to do any meaningful investments.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 3

16 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

There are plenty of options that are low to no risk, such as 401K and bonds, etc.

Even so, I don't really have enough money to make it worthwhile...unless banks start accepting pogs and squirrel skins as currency. :muffins:

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My collections are kinda like investing. Thy are worth a lot. But I don't want to give them away for money. So I do not invest. Playing with money, such as investing, or gambling, is too dangerous, in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

It is pretty much my speciality, so that said I play the game by the book. Though yeah I have a couple of hedge funds and you know I'm in it for the long run mostly as a steady interest rate. Yet currently the interest rates are low so I'm thinking of investing rather in my own business though.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, Tacodidra said:

I haven't invested yet, though I've thought of doing so and plan to at some point in the future. If I did invest, it would be in small amounts and basically just out of curiosity, as I unfortunately don't have the money to do any meaningful investments.

And just a few months later I heard of index funds. :P So I've started doing small investments (I'm planning to do it for years or even decades – hopefully I'll be able to invest more later on). I started at the absolute worst time (a couple of months before the coronavirus made the market crash), but I'm already almost 6% up anyway. :wau:

• Brohoof 2