Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP characters looks somewhat different than the show?

FlowerSun

For example their ears is more "open" instead of a line, the simple animation is moved to full animation.

Not sure if i like it over the simplistic style. Not saying one is worse than the other, its sort of nostalgic usage. How do you feel about the trailer and such?

It's not that the ponies look different. Their designs are all essentially the same, except now the models have more depth, and Toon Boom allows them to stay consistent as you see their faces from different angles than we're used to. In some profile shots, I noticed that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash actually looked very similar to their vectors from the show. It's just that when you see them turning in frontal or 3/4 view, the placements of the eyes and muzzles, and fullness of the cheeks, are all held together on a rig this time, as opposed to being redesigned from the ground up.

Flash is done completely in 2D vectors, which is why the FIM designs look so different from all the toys. The circular faces on the ponies when presented in frontal view don't translate well on tangible objects with real dimensions.

Edited by KillerKingBakudan

I thought they did a good job with the new animation in the movie. Seeing it in motion vs just stills does make a difference.

Princess Cadence seemed to have gotten lost in translation though. She just looked weird. :confused: Her eyes were too big and her snout/mouth were too small.

2 hours ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

Flash is done completely in 2D vectors, which is why the FIM designs look so different from all the toys. The circular faces on the ponies when presented in frontal view don't translate well on tangible objects with real dimensions.

post-24370-0-39779400-1416960353_thumb.jpg

I think the toys looking different from the show is more laziness than anything. This model of Twilight was made by a fan for 3D printing in 2012. Unfortunately Hasbro shut them down pretty quick. I still haven't seen as good of a model or figure/toy since.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Cirrus. said:

post-24370-0-39779400-1416960353_thumb.jpg

I think the toys looking different from the show is more laziness than anything. This model of Twilight was made by a fan for 3D printing in 2012 Unfortunately Hasbro shut them down pretty quick. I still haven't seen as good of a model or figure/toy since.

That model's incredibly well done, not gonna lie. But it's still not an exact recreation. The faces in the show look way rounder. This Twilight actually has a chin, and the contours of her eyes are more clearly veering in the directions of each plane change. The vectors make the characters' eyes almost look pasted on.

I will say this does look better than any of the existing toys though. Hasbro has yet to produce anything close to being this good.

Edited by KillerKingBakudan
  • Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

It's not that the ponies look different. Their designs are all essentially the same

It's both. The fixed style has been altered beyond what you described. The biggest change, and the one that registers the most whether you are aware of it or not, would be the the eyes. Both size, Iris detail, and reflection have changed. That is essentially a massive change since it's the elements we will always focus on the most, again whether we want to or not. Small changes to the eyes are never inconsequential. And that doesn't even touch on how movement is done. The OP is right to also suggest other changes such as the ear line. The muzzle has also be changed. 

Remember, these comments have been made by fans since Tara snapped that pic of a movie Twilight standee. 

I definitely prefer the visuals of the movie than the show. Earlier in my viewing of the film, I thought that it was the mixing of 2D characters in a 3D environment. But the way the movements and angles were done seemed particularly precise. So the explanation that most of the characters were actually 3D made a lot of sense.

• Brohoof 1