Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Imagine if the film ended this way

Plonkett

So in the climax, both Storm King and Tempest were turned to stone, but only she managed to survive because of Twilight's magic. However, just imagine what it would be like if she died along with Storm King in the fall. How would you react if that happened? Do you think it would make the ending more powerful?

• Brohoof 1

Might be a little to dark for a kids movie.

Though I think it would make the ending way more powerful. Tempest may have gotten a change of heart but her past actions (giving the storm king power) still result in her death, meaning that all your actions have consequences even if you regret them.

• Brohoof 1

I think that would be better, but nah. I rather have tempest keep the ship and the minion along with the broken storm statue kept locked in the ship. In the end credit, Storm king's eyes moved even as broken statue. Weird.  But yeh and she would goes off on her own way as airship traveler.

From a purely narrative analysis, no, actually. I think there needed to be more rapport between Tempest and the Mane 6 to begin with for her face turn to make much sense, but at least the aftermath allowed some speech with Twilight to loosen out that wrinkle. Even more so than a change of heart, a character sacrifice has to mean something personal to the other characters for it to matter much to the audience.