Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has anything interesting happened in your life because of being involved in the fandom?

Ivan The Adorable

Thought it would be fun to ask cause I was thinking about some things that I probably wouldn't be doing now except tangentially for being in the fandom. We talk a lot about how we joined the fandom and less about what we've gotten out of it (aside from occasional drama headaches)

What's the most interesting/fun/odd/dramatic change in your life that happened because of the fandom?

Probably this one is common for a lot of people. Creative works is one of the big changes mucking around in the fandom has done for me. People were just making things all the time and some of them weren't great, but everyone seemed to be trying to get better, so I started trying to learn different art forms for real. I started off playing around with some of the 3d model software like Blender and even ended up doing some of my own sculpting and 3d printing work recently as a result. I also started from things like tutorials to draw different characters and began practicing drawing, which I had mostly given up long ago. I'm not good at all at it, but that I've gotten to the point of being able to reasonably create representations of things after being so useless at it for all of my young life has been a weird triumph for me.

And I'm going to be vague about this for obvious reasons, but on a completely different channel, my involvement with the fandom indirectly allowed Tabitha St. Germaine to accelerate my leaning into political activism. This is a part I...uh... will leave out of political origin story gossip with other activists.

Question repeat:

What's the most interesting/fun/odd/dramatic change in your life that happened because of the fandom?

Well, it led me to a couple of relationships actually with people that used to be on here somewhat frequently (but I don't see them anywhere these days).

Other than that, can't think of much of anything involving the fandom specifically.

• Brohoof 1

One really cool thing is that if I never joined the fandom and these forums, I would have never met my boyfriend, so that is quite a great result. :D I also never would have gotten my signed Twlight Sparkle card, which I won in a sweeptstakes. Before that I never won anything like that. Then of course my signatures and stuff, never would have started doing those if not for the fandom. Being in the fandom added a lot to my life.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

One really cool thing is that if I never joined the fandom and these forums, I would have never met my boyfriend, so that is quite a great result. :D.

Same thing happened to me, Kyoshi.

Plus Zephyr Breeze, his episode, and his song were the things that motivated me to finish College.

• Brohoof 2

I have a couple of stories, most noteworthy is when I started POGM, when I was 15. We were a group of brony gamers and some musicians who got together to make videos on gaming and music. POGM has dissolved now because majority of us aren't bronies anymore (all but me and two others), though a lot of people from those days are still close friends of mine @Catsle is one of them. I'm currently the only one left who makes videos, but they occasionally come to help me. Other than that, joining MLPF was another side effect of being a part of the fandom, I've met some interesting faces (some of which I consider good friends and bitter enemies), had my disputes here and there, and ultimately this place helped me become the RPer I'am now. That's just a portion of what happened when I joined the fandom, I could go on and tell more stories, but I feel this is good enough.

I had already met my best friend before finding out that she was also a part of the fandom. But once I found out, it helped us bond and we ended up becoming really close.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 3

My life definitely has changed for the better because of being involved in the fandom since I met my nowadays best friend on a brony forum. :kindness:

I learned a few things about myself because of this fandom. I learned that I needed to change. I needed to stop feeling sorry for myself and ask for help. I needed to come out of my shell and embrace the world for what it truly is. This fandom and one other fandom are the only fandoms that helped me become who I am now. 

• Brohoof 3

I ended up singling FiM inspired songs for a Christmas charity, which in turn led to be being shipped by @Lightwing with Button's Mom, which wound up with my late wife getting voted to change her name to Button's Mom on here in a follow-up charity event ... so the ship became canon. 

I'm not even sure if that is the weirdest thing since joining this fandom. :P

• 4 years later...

Wow! Everything interesting in my life happened through the fandom. Found the first online community I actually wanted to be apart of. I did activities with a Brony meetup group. I actually went to BronyCon. I overcame a lot of social anxiety and learned from the show itself how to be more supportive and generous.

However, I consider myself a Christian first nowadays, and everything good about being a Brony is an extension of everything good about being a Christian.