Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E23 - Secrets and Pies

Ashen Pathfinder

What did you think of the episode?  

107 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Rainbow Dash was right. Trash this episode! (Hate)
    • I would pass on this. (Dislike)
    • Meh; I've had better. (Meh)
    • Mmm, pretty good flavor! (Like)
    • Rainbow Dash is crazy! THIS WAS FANTASTIC! (Love)

This was definitely a very comedic and funny episode, but to be honest it's not my favorite Pinkie Pie episode. Pinkie came off rather creepy and at times somewhat depressing. Rainbow Dash was ok, minus that scene with an evil version of her. All in all not a horrible episode, but not a fantastic one. 7/10

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Decided to rewatch this one. I found Pinkie Pie's antics to be hilarious but I did notice the part about Rainbow Dash destroying the pies with laser eyes. More on that below. Some notable moments:

• Pinkie Pie acting paranoid after glancing the pie, she just gave to RD, in the trash.
  • The x-ray showing the pie inside Tank (lol)
  • That basement scene where Pinkie thinks RD uses laser eyes to destroy her pies to mock her. I thought this did a good gob of illustrating how sometimes we will assume the worst possible thing, when we don't have a clear answer.
  • Pinkie trying to avoid blinking while RD supposedly eats the pie, but is able to stall long enough to get her to blink. :laugh:
  • That gross looking pie RD made at the end. I'm glad she didn't eat that. :yuck:

Overall, a very enjoyable episode! The lesson about being honest with your friends was great. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this was funnier than I than I expected. I was completely caught off guard with this one.

I found RD's clever ways of tricking Pinkie to be hilarious, except for the one where she just threw it in the trash bin. She could just have given it to one of the Wondervolts. I felt terrible for Pinkie when she saw her Pie in the garbage can. I think that part of the story was completely unnecessary, although it does explain why Pinkie is so angry. It made RD seem like a terrible pony, and felt too cruel for a MLP scene.

While I liked the humour, the story was nonsensical and both RD and Pinkie seemed a bit out of character. I can definitely see why a lot of people disliked the episode, even though it was entertaining for me. :ooh:

• 2 weeks later...

This Episode was the worst for me in all of Season 7. It was unfunny, obnoxious and way to loud. All that Pinkie Pie did was scream...it was horrible to watch and i thought i would start to like her, but no, i hate her again.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

This episode is a mess. Firstly, Pinkie is the star which dooms the episode from the start. Pinkie hasn't been consistently funny in an episode in a long time and this is not the episode the break that streak. She's shrill, loud, and so so annoying. And once again an episode is basing a lot of its jokes on character going crazy. Not in a funny way either. This isn't Party of One. Instead, we get insanely grotesque and disgusting faces that are not funny in the slightest. Evil Dash is the only thing I find funny.

Secondly, the story makes no sense. Pinkie having never noticed Rainbow throwing away pies even when she throws them in the same direction Pinkie is looking, is so stupid. A little story problem like this wouldn't be as bad if the entire episode was't based on this or if it was funny. Unfortunately, this is what the entire story is based on and the episode is painfully unfunny.

Lastly, the moral is bad. The episode has Pinkie forgive Rainbow, saying that Rainbow lying to her to protect her feelings shows how much Rainbow cares for her. This is obviously flawed. Rainbow throwing away Pinkie's pies lead to Pinkie going insane. In no way should Pinkie even imply that what Rainbow did was in any way good. 

So yeah. This episode is trash. It's unfunny, the story is bad, and the moral is bad. Everything here sucks.

Score: 0/10

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I get why some people hate this episode, dash was not at her best, pinkie was over reacting and the solution was prety clear, however, I can't help but enjoy this episode. Seeing pinkie goes bonkers is always entertaining and watching her persuade dash was hilarious. This episode just makes me feel happy even through the plot is pretty stupid. 8.5/10   

• 1 year later...

:yeahno:Rainbow, what are you doing?  You're making your turtle eat pies given the heartbreaking fact you are away from him every winter.  :angry:What kind of pet owner are you?  If you wanted to get rid of the pies in an effective matter, there's a thing in the :unamused:kitchen sink called the garbage disposal, have you heard of it?  :stressed:So we get a garbage pie at the end of this.  "Interesting" writers we have for this episode don't we?  

• 6 months later...

Secret and Pies almost feels like a Season 1 episode. At first, I didn't really care for it, but the more I watched it, the more I actually liked it. Pinkie and Dashie had such great chemistry together and it's breath of fresh air for this episode. Pinkie's pies looks really cute and delicious. The story itself wasn't any thing to write home about, but at least it was charming. However, I do have a couple of problems. 1. Dashie could've told Pinkie that she straight up doesn't like pies and try another dessert. I get that Dashie don't want to hurt Pinkie's feelings, but at least it's better than lying to her to her face so many times. 2. The Nightmare Dash imagery was way too fan fic-ey for me, and a bit unnecessary. 3. Pinkie Pie's facial expressions were very hit and miss.

Despite it's flaws, it's a really solid episode.

• 1 month later...

Rewatching this episode again, it's pretty bad. I don't like the fact that Dashie bluntly lied to Pinkie's face so many times all just because she didn't like pies when you could've just simply told the honest truth and Pinkie would understand. But no, it drags on and on and on until Pinkie called out Dashie. Pinkie is no better either as she was written very poorly. I get that Pinkie Pie was supposed to be the goofy and crazy one, but you don't have to make her that annoying. Plus, I have to call BS on Twilight for saying 'you had been lying to all of us' since Rainbow didn't lie to anyone other than Pinkie in this episode. So, I'm not sure if Twilight was saying it just to called out Dashie or it was just a badly written line by the writers. I'm betting on the ladder.

Not to mention, it has some pretty cringe-inducing moments like Dash feeding Tank with pies, Nightmare Dash being nothing more than just fanserivce that serves no purpose to the story other than padded out the runtime, and have some really gross elements like Pinkie's expressions and Dash's pie made out of garbage. Those were completely unnecessary and they made me cringe every time I've watched it.

Overall, it feels like this episode was trying so hard to get back to the classic days of the early seasons, but failed miserably. While it's not the worst episode of the season, but it's up there.