Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E23 - Secrets and Pies

Ashen Pathfinder

What did you think of the episode?  

107 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Rainbow Dash was right. Trash this episode! (Hate)
    • I would pass on this. (Dislike)
    • Meh; I've had better. (Meh)
    • Mmm, pretty good flavor! (Like)
    • Rainbow Dash is crazy! THIS WAS FANTASTIC! (Love)

9 minutes ago, Brainstorm said:

I see the moral in this episode, don't lie to your friends and if you don't like something, tell them instead of hiding them.

And if you know they're lying to you, don't play games and confront them about it.

• Brohoof 2

This episode is actually one of the factors that made me like Pinkie Pie a whole lot more than I did before. I related to Pinkie Pie a whole lot when it came to being paranoid about her friend. I really liked the moral and it would rank high on my list of favorite season 7 episodes!

• Brohoof 1

This is a super fun episode that you just relax and watch, not to take it too seriously. My sense of humor is surprisingly varied, i can enjoy (or at least i am OK with it) any kind of humors, even gross-out one, these kind of humors happened a lot in American cartoons, Powerpuff Girls for example, its fun to see it happen sometime. The moral is simplistic but i dont care about moral that much, all i care i how far Pinkie can go with this madness and it just went beyond my imagination. I give it a 8/10, its just pure fun and mostly harmless, tear apart this ep is just a waste of time, i cant remember the last time i laughed so much with my friend while warching a mlp episode.

Random:

NEVER LIE TO PINKIE, or she will have a mental breakdown.

How Tank can swallow the whole pie and tray? Someday, Tanks for the Memories 2.0 will be the true episode about DEATH by.... diabetes.

Evil Dash look like some terrible OC only exist somewhere in fanfiction.

This ep shows Dash is the fastest pony then why she can be captured by Caballeron is beyond my understanding.

• Brohoof 8

Some of the extra spice

- Pie pyramid

- Pies pinned to the investigation board

- Pinkie keeping a record of every pie she ever baked

- Plasma beams from evil RD's eyes.

- Pinkie's hugs are never too tight

Pinkie did a pretty good investigation this time around. That makes three mystery solving ponies (Twilight, Rarity and now Pinkie). I wonder if they will start driving around in a van with Spike going "Spikey dikey doo!"

Edited by Aethylynn
  • Brohoof 1

I found it entertaining, but unlike most of season 7 it didn't leave much of an impression on me. One thing though, it didn't really seem to have a moral. I guess the implied one is "don't lie", but that's odd first because Pinkie Pie is the protagonist and generally the moral is based on their fault, second because until Pinkie Pie became paranoid Rainbow Dash had a point, and finally because there was still one final scene afterwards were Pinkie had to make a decision to prevent Rainbow Dash from torturing herself. So from that angle, the moral appears to more like "it's more important to know that your friends care about you than for them like everything you do". Overall it seems to be an observation of white lies which no explicit moral to be gleaned from it. 

• Brohoof 1

Moral of this episode: Doing anything in the name of caring what other friends think is justified, even if it's lying to their faces.

This was pretty bad, but there were enough funny moments to keep it from being absolutely horrendous. I'd give it a D.

So, it was a silly episode with emotionally unstable Pinkie (what’s new?) and lying RD. It felt like they decided to shove all Pinkamena’s creepiness into 20 minutes. Well, at least everypony had some pie, except for Rainbow. But really, Pinkie should have made a broccoli pie. Rainbow likes broccoli.
The best part of the episode – the transitions. The funniest one – evil RD shooting lasers from her eyes, of course. And the creepiest moment – Pinkie licking her eyeballs – will haunt me for some time.

Edited by Oleks

18 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

I dont know which one is better, Rarity's mental breakdown or Pinkie's paranoid...

Lol lets not forget twilights breakdown xD people get on starlight for abusing magic, but twilight used a spell that almost made all of ponyville kill each other her last breakdown xD

Edited by Jade Fire
  • Brohoof 2

Pretty much the worst episode of the season, imo...

Spoiler

On the contrary to what others have been saying about it, this episode was nothing but cringeworthy, Pinkie Pie was annoying AF - to the point where I wanted to slice open her throat and spill her guts by the end of the episode, RD was portrayed as in the wrong (even though she had every right to not eat those pies and was only lying to not hurt Pinkie's feelings), neglectful to tank and 'evil', the jokes did not land at all, the moral was incredibly weak, resolution was pile of sh*t (or should I say, toxic pie (literally)) and Pinkie gets away with invading RD's privacy and just generally being an annoying little prick, while the writer feels RD must be punished for a basic thing everyone has done (lying). Another negative point is how is Pinkie able to stand on a cloud floor? Considering she isn't a pegasus, she technically should have fallen through it as soon as she stepped onto it. On a minor negative point, the callback to the stupid nicknames in Newbie Dash was unnecessary and frustrating.

I give it an overall rating of the lowest 2/10 possible. The only reason I haven't given it a 1/10, is because the only thing it did correctly, was show RD's fast reactions as shown in Testing, Testing, 1,2,3, - but that's it as far as positives go. It wasn't funny; it was dumb, annoying and awful.

I feel kinda guilty about it, but I had a lot of fun with this. Every single one of the gags is on point, and there's just so much energy here that I found mostly irresistible, even though I tried. The plot is stretched really thin, and the characters act juvenile, and there's some genuinely unsavoury moments, but I just couldn't help it. This is just so funny, and Rainbow's motivations are genuinely sweet, and the voice actors are clearly having a great time, and I had a blast. Call it a guilty pleasure for me.

Full review on my blog

• Brohoof 3

I don't know why people are still upset over RD getting "punished"(if you can call it that) for lying to Pinkie all that time, she was in the wrong, regardless of intentions. And I mean, it's not like 28 Pranks Later, Newbie Dash or MMDW, where the episode straight up decides to be a vindictive asshole over it

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 4

I wasn't sure how to feel about this one...my initial reaction was that they did a good job of negotiating the scenario of lying to avoid hurting a friend's feelings (an age-old cliché), but then I stood back and thought about the whole episode. 

As some of you have pointed out, it was a bit repetitive seeing RD trying to fool Pinkie for essentially the entire episode, even if it did lend itself to some funny slapstick.  It just seems wrong to have a pony like Rainbow immediately dispose of the pies that Pinkie had made - because it felt so insensitive, even for a sometimes-cocky pony like RD.   I'm not sure that she was trying to be sweet in her actions for Pinkie, because she almost seems like she enjoys coming up with the ridiculous ways to make them disappear.  Perhaps she doesn't; who knows what to believe now haha.  She's my favourite character and she came across in a bad light in this episode; the attempt to justify her actions so as not to hurt her friend has been done before (see Honest Apple for one) and, even if it can be argued that it's morally justifiable, it leaves a sour taste because it's basically saying dishonesty is okay if it's well-intentioned.  

Would've been funny to see, for an alternate ending, Rainbow tries a bite of the 'concrete' pie to even things out, and of course has to see a doctor, learning the lesson that lying will come back to haunt you eventually.

Still, I always like seeing Rainbow and Pinkie together, very cute!  :wub:

Edited by Perricone17
  • Brohoof 1

How fitting - a throwaway episode about throwing away pies.  This was meh.  Okay, not great.

I thought the basic take away of this episode was good, but I think they muddied up the delivery.  What I took away was that honesty is always best, even if it seems hurtful at first, because lying, even with the very best of intentions (to spare someone's feelings) may come back to bite you and hurt the other person more in the end.  Interestingly, the scenario depicted here is unbelievably common in real life, almost to a literal degree.  Throughout my life, I have personally seen people bend over backwards to try to graciously accept gifts they don't want, don't need, and don't like, and pretend to like them to spare the gift giver's feeling.  This can seem all well and good, but I have actually observed people falling into the exact same trap as Rainbow.  You get a gift you don't like, and it seems to you that you have two options: pretend you like it so you don't crush the person's heart, then go on about your life, or tell the truth and hurt them, with no seeming upside.  Seems like a simple choice, right?  But then what often happens?  Seeing how much you loved the gift, the gift giver starts to give you more.  As soon as that begins, you're doomed.  I have seen this in real life, and stuff like this really frustrates me.  Life shouldn't be fraught with problems and drama over gift giving.  There's enough real problems to deal with.  I am a big proponent of complete honesty, even if it might be hurtful at first.  I think that all relationships begin and end with honesty.  Nothing else is possible without that foundation of trust.  None of us have liked every gift we've ever received.  What we need to do is remember is that just because you might not like a gift doesn't mean you don't like the person giving it to you.  We just need to remind each other of that.  And that's how I wish they had ended the episode--with Rainbow saying, "I'm sorry I don't like pies, but just because I didn't like your pies doesn't mean I don't like you.  I love you, Pinkie.  Remember that."  Instead, as is often the case on TV, they had to go with the big garbage pie plot.  It always has to be a plot.  Or a scheme.  A plot or a scheme.  They can never just talk honestly about their feelings.  Okay, that's not fair--this show is way better than most about talking honestly about feelings.  It's a central theme, after all.

One other thing bugged me, and that's that Rainbow never actually told Pinkie what she told Twi and AJ: that she just doesn't like any pies, period.  They always do that on TV, and it drives me nuts!  :baconmane:  Why can characters actually tell the person in question what they tell others?!  Wouldn't Pinkie like to know that Rainbow just isn't a pie eater, period?  Not everyone is.  I'm not.  I don't like pie.  Or cake, for that matter.  (I wouldn't be much fun for Pinkie.)  Why didn't Rainbow just tell Pinkie what she told the others?  They always ruminate to others and tell the whole truth, and they can never figure out that all their problems would be solved if they repeated that same truth to the person in question.  But no, instead they have to come up with a plot or a scheme because TV needs and exciting final act.  Well, *fart noise*, I say.

On 10/14/2017 at 10:54 PM, Varrack said:

Moral of this episode: Doing anything in the name of caring what other friends think is justified, even if it's lying to their faces.

I thought they agreed at the end that Rainbow should have been honest.  Pinkie said she wanted Rainbow to honest from now on, and then AJ quipped, "I coulda told her that."  That's why I didn't think they were promoting lying at all.  But sometimes it can be hard to tell, and the messages can be interpreted different ways.  I hope nobody takes it that way, because that certainly would be bad.

This episode did have some great lines, though.  "Are you screaming for fun?"  "Screaming is fun!"  Lol.  I love that Pinkie keeps pie records.  Only Pinkie.  It was interesting that we got to see paranoid Pinkie coming out again, like Party of One.  She definitely has some personal demons, I think.  I liked the Batman style scene transition with the pie.  I liked seeing the party planning cave again.  It was great how AJ couldn't figure out how to get out.  Naturally, the only way out is to defy gravity and reverse slide back up the way you got in, as Pinkie has done in front of the gang before, to which Fluttershy said, "Um...so, do we walk back up the slide, or what?"  I love that the 'bolts still call Rainbow "Crash", and that she's cool with it.  Even though Newbie Dash was a train wreck, I'm glad they kept the nickname.  Lastly, Twilight's giggles melt my heart.

Even if it wasn't a spectacular episode, it did give us one hell of a plot shot!  :orly:

• Brohoof 5

23 hours ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

I don't know why people are still upset over RD getting "punished"(if you can call it that) for lying to Pinkie all that time, she was in the wrong, regardless of intentions. And I mean, it's not like 28 Pranks Later, Newbie Dash or MMDW, where the episode straight up decides to be a vindictive asshole over it

And in this case it was Rainbow Dash's idea, she was just doing it to herself, and Pinkie told her not to once she learned about it. 

• Brohoof 1

On 10/15/2017 at 1:54 AM, Varrack said:

Uh, no it was not.

Nope, no extra 1 point for because I am mostly positive even when not so impressed. This episode was nothing more than 3/5. It feels like an unaired episode from Season 1 and if the purpose was to make someone longing for that season enjoy this type, I consider it pointless to cater to this crowd, as imo new seasons are way better with what they present in comparison to the old ones. Daring Done was times better and was 5 eps ago with RD and Pinkie.

It starts as a new MMMystery episode starring Pinkie and if it continued, I would get more bored. It wasn't so boring but as boring as "It Isn't the Mane Thing About You". These episodes fail to impress. This was out of the season, since this is something that should have been polished in the friendship by now. The chars were obviously as they were in Season 1 (naive Pinkie and childish RD). I see it was Josh but whoever dictated that there had to be a filler episode, that was unneeded.

The facials of Pinkie will make funny gifs but I cant find something much I enjoyed. Perhaps the fact that RD was here and funny how she threw the pies out every time and seeing the WBolts added to the grade 3. I cant think of more, just moving on to the next episode. 

Edited by ImpctR

I really liked this episode! It was cute, simple with some crazy new expressions. Very much in the middle, and I really liked how both Rainbow and Pinkie handled the issue. <3 It was cute and I didn't mind watching it at all. It made me at peace and gave me all these fuzzy feelings. <3 

• Brohoof 2